Rise of the Resistance BOARDING GROUPS Superthread Part 1 *No Ride Spoilers Please* *PLEASE READ POSTS 1-4*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look at the pretty graph! What a day!

View attachment 469108

Pretty awesome! What would be interesting to know is, and I'm not sure if the data there has this detail - what time was boarding group 122 distributed by? That is to say, the normal BG were all gone in a minute today as per usual, but how long was it before all of the boarding groups that got to go were distributed.... if average reliability keeps improving like it has at WDW, it'a almost like there is a decent shadow period after official groups are gone, that you are very likely to get to ride anyway for many minutes after.

Yes, when asked Disney is very clear DAS holders need a boarding group. And yes, the click and pray at park opening is a real thing lol. So far it seems like both WDW and DL have the same rules.
DAS can be assigned at any of the Guest services umbrellas. GET CM at WDW or maroon ones in Disneyland....at dlr.. it's the hub, haunted house, dumbo, tomrrowland, and the middle entrance to ge under the railroad crossing. Between ge and big thunder

Pretty awesome! What would be interesting to know is, and I'm not sure if the data there has this detail - what time was boarding group 122 distributed by? That is to say, the normal BG were all gone in a minute today as per usual, but how long was it before all of the boarding groups that got to go were distributed.... if average reliability keeps improving like it has at WDW, it'a almost like there is a decent shadow period after official groups are gone, that you are very likely to get to ride anyway for many minutes after.
We aren't there yet and simply not enough reporting data points for this.

122 is a new high for dlr.
We dont know that top reported bg, but I believe it has gone as high as 160...but nothing really reported lately that I recall...let alone where 122 was in that timeline.

It is nice to see the throughput today. The CM were in great form this morning. Quite in character.

Maybe this is an easy question I am just missing...
I see they stopped BG at 122 tonight... but that is before the park closes.
Can someone explain to me why they didn't continue BG?

Maybe true, but been using Samsung Note 10+ and S10 and both have been outperforming the iphones in our group. The Max11 has been a close runner to the Samsung a few times and i think it probably on same level as I was the more experienced user with the buttons. We had quite a few in our group that got to the final 'error' message of already in a group

My comment wasn’t meant to be a general statement about the efficacy of using a Samsung device to get a BG. I was just explaining why some folks may see the app launching from scratch after backgrounding it.

Can anyone confirm if single riders (so one ticket, one account- no linked/grouped tickets) have an easier time getting low boarding group numbers?

It would seem logical, say, if BGs have 100 spots, and the system allocated 99 guests in several BGs, and tacked on single riders here and there.

It would be less likely of course, if BGs are assigned randomly using some other algorithm -- maybe because single riders are quite common? Or perhaps because BG numbers are just approximate?

Hoping some single riders can provide some data points.

*I'm asking because my teen kids aren't really SW fans, and while I'm sure they'd enjoy the ride, I'm thinking of taking a crack at it on day 1 by myself and let then sleep in. We have a 4 day hopper.

Last edited:
Can anyone confirm if single riders (so one ticket, one account- no linked/grouped tickets) have an easier time getting low boarding group numbers?

It would seem logical, say, if BGs have 100 spots, and the system allocated 99 guests in several BGs, and tacked on single riders here and there.

It would be less likely of course, if BGs are assigned randomly using some other algorithm -- maybe because single riders are quite common? Or perhaps because BG numbers are just approximate?

Hoping some single riders can provide some data points.

*I'm asking because my teen kids aren't really SW fans, and while I'm sure they'd enjoy the ride, I'm thinking of taking a crack at it on day 1 by myself and let then sleep in. We have a 4 day hopper.
I was a single rider 4 out of 5 days in DHS this past week. My boarding group numbers were all over the board for the 3 days I was in before park opening, it’s all how fast your phone gets through.

Maybe this is an easy question I am just missing...
I see they stopped BG at 122 tonight... but that is before the park closes.
Can someone explain to me why they didn't continue BG?
Keep in mind that the return window at the end of the day is typically an hour. On late nights (where the park closes at 12am, for instance), they typically stop calling at 8:30. This allows folks to board the attraction as late as 9:30...and with the queue and the length of the experience, this gets them done by about 10PM. This allows for overnight maintenance, debugging, resetting, and prepping for the next day of operations. I'm sure they also do post mortems on any issues that arose during the day and possibly stress test any fixes that are made.

On early nights like tonight (where the park closes at 9pm), They stop calling shortly after 8pm. I assume that the return window for these BGs ends at 9pm when the park closes.

After the initial BGs are distributed(randomly) are backup BGs first come 1st served???
I know it is a common theory that the initial BGs are a random distribution, but I really think it is all sequentially distributed. I think that the return message from the server telling folks what BG they got sometimes gets delayed by all the network traffic, and this gives the appearance of random distribution even though it's not.

But, if I'm wrong and the initial BGs are random, then for sure the backups are, especially when the window lasts more than a minute or two.

Ok, this is a tad off topic, but I feel like this thread is full of my kind of people, so I just had to share.... we rode Smugglers Run today for the first time... our four year old is tall enough to ride! She was my co pilot and when the ride was over she screamed “Mommy! Let’s do it again!” It was amazing. She actually thought we left Earth and went to space. Her only disappointment was that Han Solo wasn’t there. 😂😂😂😂😂 She is going to LOVE ROTR. I cannot wait for her to grow that one pesky inch. She also loved the roaming stormtroopers... she’d waltz right up to them while my almost nine year old hid. 🤦‍♀️

Anyway, it was a magical afternoon at Galaxy’s Edge!

Well if we go by DHSs distribution in the past it’s definitely not random. I went pre changeover and got BG 16. And when I was there during the full first week in January I got to the park and got 106. Which was not a backup.

Just because they go fast doesn’t mean it’s random. It just depends on how quick you get through the queue.

Last edited:
Has anyone used the monorail entrance while trying to get a BG? What was your experience?
This is addressed in the FAQs on page one of this superthread:
  • You must enter Disneyland Park to join a boarding group, you do not have to stay inside Disneyland once you are scanned in. You can hop over to DCA or head into Downtown Disney. Please note that the Monorail entrance is not advisable for use as it typically does not open until the park officially opens.
I don't think anyone wants to risk losing their chance at a BG by trying this.

I don't even think Disney knows the DAS process either lol... I honestly think it's because not many DAS users have done the ride yet.
And that's why it's so hard to get reliable first hand information about DAS for this ride! I think you're right that many DAS users are staying away to avoid the initial chaos or not getting BGs.

Re: DAS & ROTR -
I read somewhere (can't remember right now where I read this, so that's not very helpful!) that DAS guests need both a boarding group and a DAS time in order to get on ROTR...
It sounds like what DAS guests are being told in the park varies a bit. I'm going to email Disneyland to inquire because somebody in our group will have a DAS pass because of a disability. I'll report back in this thread once I have more info from DL.
Please report back once you hear the official spiel from Disney. We do know that DAS users will need to have a BG before requesting a DAS return time. There have been different answers about where the return time can be requested. Some say it must be requested in SWGE (the podium is right at the tunnel entrance by the Droid Depot). Others say it can be requested at any Information Kiosk.

What would be interesting to know is, and I'm not sure if the data there has this detail - what time was boarding group 122 distributed by? That is to say, the normal BG were all gone in a minute today as per usual, but how long was it before all of the boarding groups that got to go were distributed.
I don’t know about Monday but on Sunday morning I pulled BG 123 at 8:16 a.m. 16 minutes after published park opening.

added BGs started at 10 or 11 that morning

Please report back once you hear the official spiel from Disney. We do know that DAS users will need to have a BG before requesting a DAS return time. There have been different answers about where the return time can be requested. Some say it must be requested in SWGE (the podium is right at the tunnel entrance by the Droid Depot). Others say it can be requested at any Information Kiosk.
Not official policy, but a data point, but we got our sons return time for rotr at the dumbo location. While awaiting a return time for another ride at the HH site, a family ahead of us got a return time for their BGF there. So it appears to be okay for the CM to do this.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter