roads/parking

brooks13

Earning My Ears
Hi,

On our upcoming trip in june, we'll have a rental car.

Can anyone tell me what the roads are like. Is there a lot of traffic? I am stayoing offsite, so will I have to pay to park at each location, parks and hotels? How much? Tolls? Time it takes to drive from epcot to MK?

Is it easier to drive in, park and take Disney transportation?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks.

Welcome to the Dis! I moved your post over here to Transportation so our experts can help you out. Thanks for posting. :)

Most roads throughout WDW are actually 4 (2 each way) or 6 (3 each way) lane highways. They do get quite crowded heading to gates in the morning and leaving at park closings but there is seldom a long wait. Other than opening and closing times, the roads are busy but fairly easy to navigate. Roads are also well marked with continous signs so you can follow them to where you are going. There is a daily parking fee at the parks (believe it is now $7) and that is good for the day as you can switch parking lots among the parks and get in with your daily receipt. Epcot and MK are about 4 miles away from each other. At MK you actually park at the Transportation and Ticket Center (TTC) lot and then take monorail or boat from there to MK. At all other parks you park outside the park itself and generally take a tram from where you park to the front gate (the parking lots are so large that you can be almost a mile away from the front gate when you park). If you are going between MK and Epcot and have parked at one of them, you don't need to drive as there is a monorail that runs between the TTC to Epcot. However, if you are going to AK or MGM best to drive to them from another park. If you are going to a resort (and it is not near the park you are already in, in which case you can use Disney transport), it is usually best to drive to it and park there -- there is no parking fee at the resorts unless you valet park in which case it is $6. Prime resorts, particularly those that are by MK -- Contemporary, Poly, and Grand Floridian-- often have 3 hour parking limits for non-resort guests. To get to certain resorts -- the three mentioned above and Wilderness Lodge and Fort Wilderness -- you need to go through the MK car ticket turnstyles where you pay your parking fee for parking at the TTC lot. However, if you have a reservation at one of those hotels they will let you enter without paying that parking fee. Downtown Disney is like a huge mall with a large parking lot open to anyone.

Originally posted by brooks13
Hi,

On our upcoming trip in june, we'll have a rental car.

Can anyone tell me what the roads are like. Is there a lot of traffic? I am stayoing offsite, so will I have to pay to park at each location, parks and hotels? How much? Tolls? Time it takes to drive from epcot to MK?

Is it easier to drive in, park and take Disney transportation?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks.

There is no charge to park at the WDW resorts/hotels. Parking at the hotels is discouraged if you are parking there to go to one of the parks. At many of them (especially the monorail hotels) you get a 3 hour parking pass. Feel free to park at the hotels to enjoy their restaurants and shops.

IIRC, there is a $7/day charge to park at the theme parks (used to be $6/day, but I think it was recently increased). Keep your receipt if you plan to hop between parks (using your car). You only have to pay once per day if you keep/show the receipt. If someone in your party has an annual pass (AP or PAP), parking is free.

Traffic on the WDW roads really depends on the season. We've found the roads to be well marked and WDW to be relatively easy to navigate. You will have to watch rather carefully for the signs, though. :teeth: There shouldn't be any tolls to worry about - there aren't any on WDW property. The only toll roads that I am aware of are the Beeline and the Florida Greenway. Most WDW visitors only encounter those between the airport and their hotel.

I happen to love the monorail ride between the TTC/MK and EPCOT. I would rather do that than move my car out of the TTC parking lot, but that is a personal choice. It may or may not be quicker, but IMHO, it is certainly more enjoyable! I think that particular monorail ride is 15 - 20 minutes (once you get on). You might be able to drive faster, but you have to allow time for parking and the tram ride to the gate. Depending on your plans, you may want to move your car just for convenience at the end of your day.

HTH. Enjoy your trip.

The roads on Disney property are well marked, as long as you are actively paying attention. Always read each sign. If you miss your exit, do NOT stop and back up... do not make an illegal u-turn... and do not turn around on the grassy median areas, you WILL get stuck. Go to the next safe and legal area to turn around. Often times, there's an alternative way as well.

Above all... please... drive safely, and with common sense. And if you see a bus, try not to cut us off :jester:

Thanks for the replies and I'll promise not to cut off any buses.

More specifically, How much time do I need to give myself to get form the WDW resort entrance to MK for a CRT reservation? half hour? one hour? Please include time to get to the castle.

Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter