Robert Downey Jr. Would 'Happily' Return to the MCU: 'That Role Chose Me'

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
https://www.ign.com/articles/robert-downey-jr-would-happily-return-to-the-mcu-that-role-chose-me

Though Avengers: Endgame seemed to close the book on Robert Downey Jr.'s time in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, the Oscar winner is open to reprising Tony Stark/Iron Man.

In an interview with Esquire, Downey spoke briefly about whether or not he would ever return to the MCU in the future.

"Happily. It's too integral a part of my DNA. That role chose me," Downey told the publication. "And look, I always say, never, ever bet against Kevin Feige. It is a losing bet. He's the house. He will always win."

Still, this isn't confirmation that Downey is indeed returning, especially considering previous comments from Feige himself. After a Variety report in November claimed that Marvel Studios was exploring the possibility of bringing Downey and other members of the original Avengers team back for a new film, Feige revealed that the studio never wants to "magically undo" Iron Man's death as it was shown in 2019's Avengers: Endgame.

Downey played Tony Stark for 11 years in the MCU, serving as one of the OG Avengers alongside Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, Chris Hemsworth, Mark Ruffalo, and Jeremy Renner. The role was huge for Downey, placing him back into blockbuster filmmaking and making him one of the highest-paid actors in Hollywood for a time.

Downey, who recently won his first Oscar for his work in Christopher Nolan's Oppenheimer, has been open about how much his time in the MCU meant to him. Last January, while appearing on Rob Lowe's "Literally!" podcast, he said he felt some of his "best work" came in his performances as Tony Stark/Iron Man, but that those performances went "a little bit unnoticed" because of the films were part of the superhero genre.

They should do it. Full stop. Can you imagine in Avengers 5, at the end when it seems that all hope is lost, when nothing could possibly save the day.... And if they got Steve too, it would be the biggest coup in cinema!

I feel like Chris Evans is done with Captain America and wouldn't come back. After having watched the first Avengers movie again and the whole conversation with Cap and Tony about Tony not being the guy to make the sacrifice play for others, I really don't want to see him back. I'm sure they can find a way but that would more reek of desperation. I'd rather he pop up in Deadpool 3 as a gag.

https://www.ign.com/articles/robert-downey-jr-would-happily-return-to-the-mcu-that-role-chose-me

Though Avengers: Endgame seemed to close the book on Robert Downey Jr.'s time in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, the Oscar winner is open to reprising Tony Stark/Iron Man.
Works for me! :mickeyjum

Still, this isn't confirmation that Downey is indeed returning, especially considering previous comments from Feige himself. After a Variety report in November claimed that Marvel Studios was exploring the possibility of bringing Downey and other members of the original Avengers team back for a new film, Feige revealed that the studio never wants to "magically undo" Iron Man's death as it was shown in 2019's Avengers: Endgame.
Partypooper...

You know things are getting serious at Marvel when they are considering bringing Tony and Cap back. They must be tired of losing money with Brie Larson.

The first Captain Marvel made $1.1 Billion. So, of two movies, one was a huge hit and one was a huge flop. A .5 batting average is okay. I also don't think Brie was the issue with The Marvels. Actually, The Marvels is a pretty good movie, actually upper tier for the MCU, but tying it to the not-so-good television shows and general fatigue with all that contributed to it's underperformance.

That’s a fair assessment, but I would argue that Captain Marvel only made so much the first time due to being marketed as required viewing for End Game. Once the character had to stand on its own, it failed miserably.

There is no denying that Marvel is hurting right now and trying to right the ship after several years of poor box office performance.

Marvels was a complete mess. Was it a buddy cop movie? Was it a sci-fi action movie? Was it a comedy? Was it a musical?

Brie Larson cannot be blamed for being contractually obligated to appear in a movie that didn't know what it was supposed to be.

She more than carried her own in the Captain Marvel movie.

Marvels was a complete mess. Was it a buddy cop movie? Was it a sci-fi action movie? Was it a comedy? Was it a musical?

Brie Larson cannot be blamed for being contractually obligated to appear in a movie that didn't know what it was supposed to be.

She more than carried her own in the Captain Marvel movie.

See, I like a good, crazy movie, one that is like a rollercoaster and keeps you guessing - a littlle rough around the edges, you know. Not all movies need to be like that, but many of the best ones are. MCU movies tend to be so slick and polished, which is no doubt part of what makes them so popular, but also it can create a rigid set of expectations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter