Rock n Roll Half Marathon Tips, Insights?

MeridaAndAngus

If you had a chance to change your fate would you
I managed to win a free entry to an upcoming Rock 'n Roll Half Marathon and I'm looking for some tips and insights from people who have run these races before.

Does anyone have insights on how well these races are usually run, how many hydration stations they usually have on course (every mile?), who many corrals there normally are & how far apart they are released? Any other good tips?

I'm not super stressed about this race, just basically savoring the fact that I won a free entry. But, since this is a big race series that is run in different locations all over the country (and internationally), I must admit my expectations are kind of high. I'm not expecting runDisney-level quality, but pretty close, and I'm mostly wondering if I should manage my expectations downward a bit. I've only seen a few reviews of this particular RnR race online, and they were mostly positive, but I'd love to hear from some folks on the boards about their experiences, and also how these races compare to rD (in terms of how they are run...not in terms of scenery, of course).

I haven't done runDisney (yet!), but I have done a Rock 'n' Roll event ... and they are AWESOME!

There were hydration stops every 1.5-1.7 miles, and fuel every other hydration stop. The corrals are pretty similar to what I've read about runDisney races, and in New Orleans, they released them pretty quickly - like maybe a minute between the last person in the first corral and the first person in the second corral.

UPDATE: Found this!

33clq94.png

Bag check is also REALLY easy - there are over a dozen UPS trucks broken up by last names, you drop your backpack or personal bag and it's super quick to pick up afterwards. There's also a tent to buy finishers gear after you finish the race right outside the finisher chute. Only full marathon gets a free finishers jacket.

The Expo was large, but flowed very well. We went straight from the airport to the Expo and it took us less than 10 minutes to pick up all of our required gear. In New Orleans, they had free beer for the duration of the postrace concerts, and you could get your wristband for proof of ID at the Expo. It was in a separate location from bib and shirt pick-up, so just be aware of that.

Logistically, it was amazing. I loved the bands every two miles, and I LOVED the postrace concerts. I will definitely do RnR New Orleans every year.

We have runner friends who have done RnR in Vegas and San Diego and also speak very highly of them! It will be a completely different run experience than Disney, for obvious reasons, but if you want to run in a fun city as part of a long weekend, they put on a great event.

Last edited:
I'm trying to think of anything else ...

Our shirts were high-quality Tech material and they were men and women's cuts, which was nice. I also liked mine because it was a longer women's cut.

You get a drawstring backpack at the Expo when you pick up your bib to use as your gear bag, if you like. But they give you a tag on your bib and a small zip tie to attach your bag number to any bag you'd like to use. I used the drawstring bag they gave us, but my husband used a larger backpack of his own. No problems!

The bling is REALLY awesome, especially branded to the style of that city. In New Orleans, we were able to get our medals engraved with our names and finishing time (for $$), or also add Mardi Gras beads to our ribbons (for free!).

The also provided shuttle service for spectators from the start line to the finish line, and then for everybody back to the start line, for free. Which was REALLY nice. It was quick and efficient.

I ran the RnR half in Vegas last year.

We went to pick up our packages on Saturday. It was busy but ran smoothly. The longest line was to pay for merchandise.

The hydration stations were similar to what Keels already posted. The first tables were often out of water but for the most part there was some left at towards the last tables. They were down to one flavor of GU by the time i went through too and I wasn't anywhere near the back of the pack! I ran with my own belt and GU so, none of this really affected me.

The pre-race concert wasn't my cup of tea, it changed last minute from Snoop Dogg to Macklemore. It was like 40degrees or something ridiculous, way too cold to be standing around. The corrals were PAINFUL. There were FIFTY of them at 90 second intervals. The first corral left at 4:30pm and we didn't start until 5:15 (corral 30 out of 50ish). It was dark and cold and I wasn't sure i was going to be able to move my limbs let alone run 21.1km. The worst part was all of the walkers I had to pass right out of the gate. It would be nice if they required some sort of proof of time to prevent this from happening.

They advertised live entertainment at every mile. This didn't happen at all. I think I saw like 4 or 5 bands.

The finish line was chaotic but pretty efficient. They gave you your medal, mylar, banana, power bar, chocolate milk, peanut butter, pretzels etc. then shooed you out the end of the secure zone. (There was pretty much nothing left by the time the last marathoners came through.) I got my time engraved on my medal for an extra $20. There was no family and friends meet-up area. So have a plan beforehand.

Last edited:
I ran Rock N Roll Chicago half last summer:

The Good:
Nice shirt, AWESOME medal, they had teams of runners on the course from some organization (can't remember the name) that were volunteer first aid. They carried water and supplies and just generally checked to make sure that others around them were doing ok. The ones running near me were great about asking people if they were ok if someone seemed too tired/dehydrated

The bad:
Corrals were a mess. No strict enforcement, it's self reported, plus they were not stopping anyone from going into a corral higher than their bib anyway. They were hard to get into--I was in corral 5 and the only way I could find to get there was to enter way back in like corral 15 or something (can't remember exact number, but it was far back) and weave and wind my way up to corral 5.

The ugly:
Very few bands. NO bands at all until mile 6. I think there were maybe 4 bands the whole course? They had a DJ at mile 10 who kept repeating "3 miles to go!" Unfortunately, they had the speakers set up so you heard him the whole last 3 miles--so even at mile 12.5 you are hearing "3 miles to go!"

I am not from Chicago, but talking to other Chicago runners there, they were disappointed in the course.

The bad:
Corrals were a mess. No strict enforcement, it's self reported, plus they were not stopping anyone from going into a corral higher than their bib anyway. They were hard to get into--I was in corral 5 and the only way I could find to get there was to enter way back in like corral 15 or something (can't remember exact number, but it was far back) and weave and wind my way

I had the same experience at the LA RnR. There were family members, strollers and wandering homeless people in my corral. I was in a middle corral. 5k people were mixed in with the half marathoners.

On a positive note, they did load us up on post race snacks. In the past, they've even had Jamba Juice :)

I would like to do RnR Las Vegas this year. Does anyone here have any insight on how fast that race sells out? (I suspect it is one of the more popular RnR races).

I would like to do RnR Las Vegas this year. Does anyone here have any insight on how fast that race sells out? (I suspect it is one of the more popular RnR races).
A friend of mine did the Las Vegas full in 2013--I think he registered just a month or two before the race. Most of the RnRs I've seen don't sell out--most were still offering registration at the expo.

The 5km and the half of the half both sold out but I'm pretty sure there were spaces open right up until race day for both the half and full marathons in LV. I would be more inclined to register early for the cost savings than for the concern about selling out!

If you're going to enter a RnR race, make sure you pick one of the good ones. The older ones are much better run than the newer ones.

This! The ones that are good are supposedly really good. And the ones that aren't are HORRID. I'd also avoid inaugural ones - Brooklyn was a hot mess when they attempted the 10K. Not enough money in the world to get me to try that half, even if it is only a subway ride away.

I'm doing RnR SF next weekend. Its my first RnR. I've heard good things from a few people who have done it before.

I've only done Rock & Roll Cleveland, which was an inaugural race and doesn't exist anymore. I remember I got some sort of deal on registration making it cheap (by R&R standards, at least).

I think Cleveland was a smaller R&R event - only 8 corrals (not enough, in my opinion) and I wasn't impressed by the expo. I did like getting a drawstring bag with my entry, and the shirt and medal were nice.

In general, though, I'm not impressed with the R&R organization - after registration the first year they actually moved the date of the race (from a Saturday to a Sunday), which has NEVER happened with any other race I've done. A lot of people that had registered weren't able to participate, but did get refunds. I thought the race itself was good, so I signed up for the next year's race (they had some sort of discount for people that had done it the first year) - then they announced a 10K later (which is what I would have preferred to do had that been an option when I signed up) and ended up canceling the entire thing just a month before race day, I guess due to lack of interest. They did refund everyone, at least, but I thought that was cutting it close to cancel! Thankfully I wasn't counting on that one as a goal race or anything.

So I would say with the one race of theirs I've done, the on-course experience was good for me, but everything else surrounding it was kind of a mess.

So I would say with the one race of theirs I've done, the on-course experience was good for me, but everything else surrounding it was kind of a mess.

That sums up my general experience with them nicely. VA Beach - excellent all the way around as it was well established. San Antonio - a mess the first few years. Madrid - great course, problems with everything else. I think they got too greedy and overextended themselves and figured runners would keep showing up no matter what.

I just did Rock and Roll DC last weekend and enjoyed it. I did the half marathon. I felt like the expo was well organized, easy, very few lines at the time I was there. The on course experience was good for me in that there were water stops every 1-5-2 miles it seemed like and it didn't feel too congested. I agree that the corrals weren't enforced but somehow it still didn't feel too crowded. That might be because it was raining that day so maybe some people didn't show up? I signed up the next day for next year's race so I guess that would tell you my overall opinion :) The main negatives were out of the race's control (rain and the metro breaking down that morning leading to delays getting home after the race). The start and end are in different places so you can't get a hotel that's walking distance to both.

I just completed the Remix challenge for RnR Dallas this past weekend. First time doing a RnR event. 5K on Saturday + 1/2 on Sunday = Extra Medal

Expo was at the Dallas Convention Center. Lots of parking, easy flow. They actually didn't have the 5K shirts available yet. I couldn't wait around. We all got an email saying we could pick up our shirts before or after the actual 5k. Little bit of an inconvenience.

5K was a run around the Texas State Fairgrounds just South of Dallas. Quick, easy. typical 5K. A little less scenery in the fairgrounds. Lots of seeing the parking lot on the backside of the fairgrounds. Started and finished with nice scenery.

Rode the train Sunday morning for the 1/2. Train lets out right across the street from the opening. Plenty of porta potties, gear check looked easy. Had no bag due to DW as spectator. I also had the corral issue people mentioned. I was in corral 13 and for the most part people stayed in their respective groups. There were 16 corrals. But it was crowded and I saw some people out of place. Wave start. Took a 1/2 hour to get to 13. Course was fairly flat, almost all streets. There were 5 or 6 bands along the course playing covers of well known songs. Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders were performing right next to the finish line. The finish line secure area was short with medal, banana, gatorade, water, salty snack, out.

I PR'd my 1/2 so I went to pay the $20 for medal engraving. Picked up my extra medal for the challenge. Gear pickup looked easy. We didn't stick around for the after party but could hear people having a good time. Also I didn't pick up my free Michalob Ultra. It was a tear away coupon on the bib. The finish line was also very close to a train station so we hopped back on the train and headed home.

Overall a good experience. I paid the $50 to run again next year at the Expo. Got a T-Shirt for it. Good luck.

I ran the Country Music Marathon last year. Not sure how it fits into the old/new situation...it was technically the 15th year, but that's because Rock n Roll took it over, so it hadn't been theirs the whole time.

Anyway, my thoughts:

The race was on Saturday, which is odd for most races, but fairly normal, I think, for the Rock N Roll series. I'm not sure if they do this so that they can draw a bigger crowd for their concert that evening, or because the organizers are based in San Diego, and this allows them to return on Sunday and be back in the office on Monday. Either way, it does add some stress for out of owners, who either have to take more time off on the front end, or just accept that they're going to be on the later end for expo/pickup. I was in the latter, as we left Friday morning, got to Nashville around 3 or so, and went immediately to the Expo. First off, it was swarmed. took the better part of an hour just to get bib, gear bag, and t shirt. Then had to take additional time to try to exchange shirt (unsuccessfully, but that happens) and corral. Then into the expo itself, it was very crowded, and very picked over. I was disappointed with the event specific gear (but they did have finisher gear the next day that was nicer). After a while, I just decided one expo is like another, and didn't feel the need to stick around.

In the final documentations, sent about a week before the event, they announced that this race was going to be a test of sorts...in that they WOULD NOT HAVE CLOCKS ON THE COURSE. Apparently they'd gotten feedback from participants that they weren't helpful, since many runners wear a watch, and people don't like trying to do the math to subtract the time from when they crossed the start line, then calculate splits, etc. Overall, I am OK with this, but it should have been announced long before final details were sent out. I don't run with a watch. I run with my iPhone, which I had already decided not to wear in the race, since the whole gimmick was the on course entertainment. So, a week before the race, I had to decide if I wanted to buy an expensive watch, program it, get used to wearing it, etc, or just go without. I went for the latter. As a result, I tried running on feeling, but didn't really have a sense of how I was doing until about mile 17 or 18 or so....and that's only because the course went past a bank that had a clock outside. Really, an odd move overall, and definitely one that I felt should have been announced sooner.

After the expo, went to hotel. I was booked at the "host" hotel, a Hilton, because I get points there. Unfortunately, the entire lobby of the hotel was being renovated. Not their problem, but it made for very cramped quarters on race morning when every runner staying there was trying to grab breakfast, stretch, warm up, etc. Also, we (and a lot of runners I spoke with) ended up with rooms overlooking Broadway, which is the starting line...but also the main entertainment area. Not great when you're trying to sleep before a race, but 800 bachelorette parties are partying til last call.

Race morning, gear check went fairly smoothly. Lines for portapotties....not so much. This is when it was beneficial to be staying at the host hotel.

Corrals were a bit of a mess. Race volunteers are amazing people, and they really do have a difficult job. Unfortunately, they were using a very thin piece of string held between two volunteers to differentiate the corrals. The problem was, these ladies couldn't see or communicate with each other, across four lanes of runners. So they weren't in unison in moving forward, didn't have any way to discourage people hopping up into other corrals, etc.

I knew the race was going to be crowded, and I know that in any race, you will inevitably encounter people walking very early, even though they are in high corrals. These are usually people who agreed to run with their friend, entered the same expected finish time, didn't really do any training, and now they're in Corral B, even though they are going to put in about a 6:15 marathon. No problem with people taking their time, but this race seemed to have an inordinate amount of them walking, in the first five miles. So it took forever for the early bottleneck to break up.

The bands: As advertised, they were set up every mile. Unfortunately, at least a quarter of them were on a break when I went by. I know musicians need a break, but perhaps fewer stages, with bands rotating, would eliminate down time. But, more to the point, the fact is, you run by each band in an instant. The stages are quite tiny, so you might not even hear them until you're about 15 seconds away, and then you're out of ear shot when you're 15 seconds past them.

Post race is a fairly decent set up, although they need to find a way to provide more shade. It was over 80 degrees by 11 am, and the entire runner's recovery area was in the sun. But hey, no need for mylar blankets when it's that warm. Also, the overall setup was a bit odd. You go through the recovery area, get all your food, drink, medal, photo, etc, then you can meet up with family. Then there's finish line entertainment, then the free beer, then retail, then you need to walk all the way to the other end of the parking lot (of an NFL stadium) to pick up your back from gear check. The retail at the end was nice, and like I said, there was some nice "finisher" gear. So I went there, and asked if I could exchange my shirt from the previous day. They directed me to a different location. I went there, and they still didn't have any size men's large. So I have a huge XL instead. I went back to check out the finisher gear, and found a shirt I liked. Unfortunately, they didn't have it in the color I wanted in a large, only in XL. They did have it in another color, which I bought, but that means I now have two t shirts from the same event, both of which are grey. Really surprised that a large is so hard to stock.

Overall, it was fine, but nothing outstanding, and I don't think worthy of the price. Some of the issues happen at every event, but some of them (no clocks, hotel issues, etc) seem like they should be managed when you're dealing with such a large race management company.

I chose that race specifically because it allowed us to visit friends in Nashville, but after seeing their operation, I don't think I'd travel for another Rock N Roll run event. They put one on here in St. Louis, and I am considering doing the half, but only because it actually falls on a weekend when I'd be scheduled to run 13 miles in training for another race. I wouldn't go out of my way to run one of their events, but if you got a free entry, then I wouldn't skip it either.

I did RnR SF this past weekend. It was my first RnR event but my 3rd Half in SF. The other two SF Halfs were Nike. So compared to that, RnR was fantastic!

The expo was easy to get to and get through. We were able to visit all the vendors. We purchased the official race merch we wanted. We thought it was a great expo.

The shuttles to the starting line worked well for us the morning of the race. My corral was a bit crowded but my friends were in a different corral and they said theres was fine. The race start was smooth. The on course support was excellent. I've never seen more porta-potties on a course! They never ran out of water or gatorade. Gu station had all the flavors advertised when I went through. There were no bands on the first half of the course. They told us that was the case via email a few months before the race though and said it was due to city restrictions or something like that. So at the expo they gave everyone headphones to listen to their own music for the first half. The second half of the race I think there were 4 bands. Only one was not playing when I ran by it.

The finish was right at city hall so we went through the finishers chute, got our water/gatorade/chocolate milk/powerbar/banana then walked out of the chute. To the left they had the gear check pick-up. In front of us was the beer garden and just to the right was the stage. It was a great set up. We were able to grab our beers and then sit down on the grass and stretch out and relax a bit before heading back to our hotel.

Compared to Nike it was amazingly well organized and my friends and I all would do it again. I know 2 of us already registered with the $50 registration email we got after the race. The course was tough but thats to be expected in SF with the hills. Running the Golden Gate bridge was amazing though.

Great information everyone. Rock and Roll is on my list for 2016 to try. We have one in DC and would like to do Savannah and of course Vegas and possibly Virginia Beach.
San Francisco sounds amazing.

I highly recommend Virginia Beach. Great organization, fun course, and you can go soak your tired legs in the ocean with a beer in your hand right after you cross the line.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter