Rock N Roller Coaster and Expedition Everest

Rock 'n Roller Coaster is more intense, so I'd try Expedition Everest first. I don't find it intense, though the backwards portion does make me queasy sometimes. It's still worth a shot, and then you can go with RnR if you're good with EE. RnR is a smooth coaster - you barely realize you're going upside down. But it is faster.

I think both are very smooth roller coasters. I honestly think EE is worse than RnR. I feel a bit dizzy and disoriented on EE when you go backwards and that tends to cause me not to enjoy the rest of the ride as much as I think I would. The drop isn't a big deal in spite of what it looks like. It goes by so fast you really don't even have a chance to realize it's happening. To me the worst part of RnR is the anticipation of the launch and then when the launch happens. But the ride itself is very easy - no drops and even the loops/upside down parts are very small and don't bother me at all.

I am NOT a roller coaster fan at all but I will do EE when others in my group want to do it. I have actually done RnR as a single rider when others in my group did not want to ride.

RnR has no big hills. It goes upside down three times, I believe.

Actually it doesn't do any true inverted loops. It starts to do that on the first hill but then swivels over and back down. I have watched the virtual video as if it was an outside coaster and was surprised because it does feel like that.

I think both are very smooth roller coasters. I honestly think EE is worse than RnR.

Yes, this. They are both very smooth coasters, but if I had to pick one as "rougher" than the other, without a doubt it would be EE. It bounces you around more. I also completely disagree that sitting in the front of RnR is any smoother than in the back. In fact, I would say RnR is the one coaster where it make absolutely no difference. The reason why is that most "traditional" coasters climb hills slowly, then you crest the peak and go flying down the hill. That's where it makes a huge difference in speed and "roughness" front to back. The front is smooth because it crests the peak of the hill slowly, as you have to wait for the balance of weight on the train to shift and start accelerating down hill. So if you're in the front, you slowly roll over the peak. If you're in back, once the weight balance transfers, you get yanked up the last bit of the hill and whipped over the peak. It's the same phenomenon on any other hills it goes up and over...BTMRR does this quite a bit. However, for RnR, it's a launch start. The entire train gets shot, in a flat and straight line, from 0-60 in about 3 seconds. So it's the same for all. It then goes into a couple of inversions and goes from there. But it never does much of the hill climbing and peaking, so there's really no difference. I can't think of any feature in the ride that would make it rougher for the back than the front.

Having said that, I love the back simply for the view. I think it's really cool to watch the entire train do a barrel roll in front of me. I think I've been on every row on that ride, it's my favorite, and I would say there's no difference whatsoever about where you sit.

As noted, EE goes backwards..and pretty fast. So that may or may not bother you. When it goes backward, it's a tiny bit rough, and you feel like you're going to flip (but you don't).

Actually it doesn't do any true inverted loops. It starts to do that on the first hill but then swivels over and back down. I have watched the virtual video as if it was an outside coaster and was surprised because it does feel like that.

PP said it goes upside down 3 times, and it does. The first is a loop...yes, it then swivels back over on the "down" part of the loop, but you are completely upside down first and do about 3/4ths of a full inverted loop. Then there are two corkscrews after that. So you are turned upside down 3 times, as PP said.

I have to skip out on RNR because of the loops. I don't know what the deal is with it, but every time I always feel a little distorted after I get off of it. I typically don't do well with inverted coasters anyway, but I sacrifice because my husband loves them. Everest on the other hand is a BLAST! I also would recommend watching the YouTube videos of the on ride experience so you know what to expect; it made it way better for me the first time I rode it. I think the backwards part for the most part is mild, except for one portion where it really pushes you down and you feel like your going to fly out LOL....but it's FUN! I also take Bonine and have a little anxiety about riding and I was fine; I think you'll do great! :yay:

I do EE with no problem but can not do RNRC. The first jump start throws my head back no matter how hard I try to keep it on the back to start with then during the entire ride my head is bounced around back and forth, again I try to keep it pressed to back head rest but I'm height challenged and not very heavy. When I get off it, I have a horrible head ache and my neck hurts so I just don't do it any more, I can't do Space Mountain for the same reason. I don't do Star Tours because the 3D makes me sick (I don't actually throw up) and don't do mission space for the same reason. I can do Soarin with no problem and actually had my first decent ride after 4 tries on FOP a couple of weeks ago. I love roller coasters but as I get older, the shaking is what bothers me, the old bones just aren't what they used to be.

This is my main problem with faster roller coasters anymore, particularly the ones where your head is bracketed by the restraints -- I can do RnRC once but then I need a break or I risk building up a headache. I used to try to tuck my head into a corner where the seat back met the restraints, but have found that just keeping it back and centered works a little better. Sounds like it's just plain no-go for you, though.

As to the original question...EE is a little odd for having the backwards section, and there are a couple of fast downhills (once going backwards, then again at the end), but the majority of the ride is actually quite sedate. You start off with some really gentle stuff on the flat and go up a long lift hill before you ever go into a real drop. Then after it goes backwards for those twenty seconds it pauses for several seconds before going forward again. To be clear, the last parts of the ride are fast (as a roller coaster fan I wouldn't rate it as particularly wild, but it does have a decent drop or two), but most of the time you're on the ride is not like that. It's not like Big Thunder where it's go-go-go apart from the lift hills (and I don't think it's as long as Big Thunder, either).

I have to skip out on RNR because of the loops. I don't know what the deal is with it, but every time I always feel a little distorted after I get off of it. I typically don't do well with inverted coasters anyway, but I sacrifice because my husband loves them. Everest on the other hand is a BLAST! I also would recommend watching the YouTube videos of the on ride experience so you know what to expect; it made it way better for me the first time I rode it. I think the backwards part for the most part is mild, except for one portion where it really pushes you down and you feel like your going to fly out LOL....but it's FUN! I also take Bonine and have a little anxiety about riding and I was fine; I think you'll do great! :yay:

Definitely have my bonine!

I appreciate all of the replies. If I can just get past my anxiety, and ride things, it's usually not as bad as I am afraid it will be. Thank goodness for fp so I don't have to wait in line if I do decide to try it..If I wait in line for long, I'd back out.

I appreciate all of the replies. If I can just get past my anxiety, and ride things, it's usually not as bad as I am afraid it will be. Thank goodness for fp so I don't have to wait in line if I do decide to try it..If I wait in line for long, I'd back out.
And if you really love them, they both have single rider!!!

I tend to have roller-coaster anxiety (related to severe motion sickness) as well! However, I've found that I can do both Expedition Everest and Rock N Rollercoaster with no problems! In fact, they're two of my favorites! They're both really smooth. We live in California and it took me years before I would even consider going on California Screamin' (soon-to-be the Incredicoaster), but I LOVE it now. On our first trip to WDW, we rode EE three times in a row and that was about my maximum due to the backward portion. For comparison, I can only do Star Tours once before I start getting a headache.

I encourage you to try them both. Take some Bonine about an hour before and see how it goes! I wish you luck! I'll be there in 10 days and can't wait to ride both again!

I do get motion sickness, would never be able to do a spinning ride anymore. The older I get, the worse I do with roller coasters. I really want to do them, but they just don't like me. lol I haven't been to Disney since 2009. I believe during my 2005 trip I went back and forth between tower of terror (freefall doesn't bother me at all) and RNRC several times and was pretty okay. Now I don't know how many times I will be able to handle RNRC. I have been to several amusement parks with my boyfriend and my pose in all the roller coaster pictures is exactly the same. My boyfriend says I tense up which makes it worse. They always say to keep your head back, but I can't force my head to stay back and will keep hitting my head. So, I try to keep my head in one place the whole time by tensing up. LOL I am hoping I can handle it decently this trip, as I know my boyfriend will want to ride several times.

I would recommend RnR over EE if you have coaster anxiety. I had anxiety riding coasters for years growing up until I married my wife who loved them and can now say I enjoy riding them a lot. In the past, and even now a bit, my anxiety is always in the first climb. After that the ride is awesome. If that is the anxiety you have, with RnR you have none that I feel. It's just a flat shot of speed before you make the first loop and you're into the ride itself. Also, being inside and dark helps I think in that you are not able to be as aware of where you are in relation to your surroundings, like how high you are off the ground, etc. Love both rides, but personally think RnR>EE.

OP, just to chime in here, I rode Everest for the first time in 2009 and I have chickened out every trip since. I am trying to get myself in a place where I am brave enough. We have a plan to ride at night and I am so intrigued to see the views at night that I am 75% sure I'll do it!

As for RnR I LOVE it, but every single time I get on and we wait for that launch I ask myself why the heck I decided to ride again LOL.

Good luck!!!

I went on Everest once. Never again. I hate the backward thing

Love Rock and roll. Mainly because you are totally locked in with the bar coming down over head and you can’t see anything.

I am very prone to motion sickness, and the first and last time I rode EE I was fine until the loop, which then loops backwards. I was ill for a hour afterwards, not fun. RNR I don't get sick, but find it very jarring and just not fun. That said, I love Dinosaur and Soarin', so go figure!

I tend to have roller-coaster anxiety (related to severe motion sickness) as well! However, I've found that I can do both Expedition Everest and Rock N Rollercoaster with no problems! In fact, they're two of my favorites! They're both really smooth. We live in California and it took me years before I would even consider going on California Screamin' (soon-to-be the Incredicoaster), but I LOVE it now. On our first trip to WDW, we rode EE three times in a row and that was about my maximum due to the backward portion. For comparison, I can only do Star Tours once before I start getting a headache.

I encourage you to try them both. Take some Bonine about an hour before and see how it goes! I wish you luck! I'll be there in 10 days and can't wait to ride both again!

That is so encouraging! Thank you!

OP, just to chime in here, I rode Everest for the first time in 2009 and I have chickened out every trip since. I am trying to get myself in a place where I am brave enough. We have a plan to ride at night and I am so intrigued to see the views at night that I am 75% sure I'll do it!

As for RnR I LOVE it, but every single time I get on and we wait for that launch I ask myself why the heck I decided to ride again LOL.

Good luck!!!

Why did you not like EE? Was it motion sickness, roughness? I'm about 70% right now to try it...of course, it's one week and one day away, so plenty of time for me to chicken out. Sounds pretty good sitting at home in m recliner right now. ;)

Why did you not like EE? Was it motion sickness, roughness? I'm about 70% right now to try it...of course, it's one week and one day away, so plenty of time for me to chicken out. Sounds pretty good sitting at home in m recliner right now. ;)

I dislike steep drops and I’ve watched my husband ride from the observation area enough to make me dread that big one!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter