ROFR Thread July to Sept 2023 *PLEASE SEE FIRST POST FOR INSTRUCTIONS & FORMATTING TOOL*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I figure that if I rent out once every 3-4 yrs I will break even in 10-11 years in terms of capital costs for resale contracts, about 15-16 years for direct sales contracts. Then I can rent half the points to more than subsidize all the points yearly!

I've thought many times about doubling up or more to fund the beast ... I'm pretty sure I would always just end up using the points ...hehe. This thread is so dangerous...

I’m about to make my first offer today. Want to share your best advice you have picked up while studying since February? I’ve only been studying for a couple of weeks and want to make sure I get it right! Or if anyone else wants to chime in…I’m open!
We just got under contract for our first. I'll list out some tips, but maybe some more experienced people could also help.

I was constantly looking at an aggregator site, not sure if I can link here, but they are easy enough to Google. I checked the site a couple times a day and offered on all contacts that were at the home resort I was looking at and in the points range I was targeting. Had to keep a spreadsheet going so I knew which ones I had offered on. When starting I only offered on lower cost per point ones, but eventually switched to all. Ironically one of the higher per point ones was the one that accepted.

My offers were lower than what I was seeing normally show up in the ROFR thread by a bit, but not too much. The amount per point changed based on if they had a stripped contract or loaded. We were not in a rush to get a contract so it was just a numbers game of eventually finding the right seller.

Took about 2 months to get an offer accepted. Actually happened the same day our offer on a house was accepted after losing on 9 offers over the past 6 months. Not sure which one I am more excited for. Currently waiting to pass ROFR. Let me know if you have any specific questions and good luck!

Indeed. Don't know how I ended up at the bottom of a pile somewhere. I can't imagine they are thinking of taking my contract given the others that have passed (and basically passing everything). Wish there was any option other than waiting (or starting over and losing my deposit), but waiting it is.

I would contact the broker or title company again and if you don’t get some response or update, I’d reach out to membership administration on your own and at least make sure it’s there?

If the average has been 3 weeks, being double that seems like something has prevented them from deciding.

Id also look at the closing date of your contract and let the title company know that you will consider walking away if things don’t close on time since you would be entitled to the deposit back. It may get them moving.

Dosekies---$85-$13999-160-SSR-Oct-0/22, 0/23, 160/24- sent 5/11, passed 6/23

So excited! This is our first contract and we were so worried it took so long to go through as our first offer on a different contract originally had something go wrong with the UY listed
Lowest price I’ve seen so far for an average sized contract for SSR! Congrats!!

Last edited:
I would contact the broker or title company again and if you don’t get some response or update, I’d reach out to membership administration on your own and at least make sure it’s there?

If the average has been 3 weeks, being double that seems like something has prevented them from deciding.

Id also look at the closing date of your contract and let the title company know that you will consider walking away if things don’t close on time since you would be entitled to the deposit back. It may get them moving.
If it was submitted on 5-16, it’s been almost 8 weeks now (53 days tomorrow).

$83.13-$15201-160-AKL-Sept 0/22, 0/23, 160/24- sent 7/6/23

So this is one of those places that the seller pays virtually no CC and buyer pays big (~$2k) in fees, but it still worth it for me.
Nice! Interesting about how closing costs are paid. What broker is like this? PS, use the tool on the first page of the thread if you want your data added! https://rofr.scubacat.net/

$83.13-$15201-160-AKL-Sept 0/22, 0/23, 160/24- sent 7/6/23

So this is one of those places that the seller pays virtually no CC and buyer pays big (~$2k) in fees, but it still worth it for me.
I'm not sure I follow. I mean, $2k seems really high for a $13k contract, but in my experience, the seller almost never pays any of the closing costs and usually only bears the cost of the $150 estoppel fee. Regardless of who is paying, how did you get to $2k in closing costs on a $13k stripped contract (no MF's for 2022 or 2023 points)?

ETA: so you're paying the broker fee as well?

I'm not sure I follow. I mean, $2k seems really high for a $13k contract, but in my experience, the seller almost never pays any of the closing costs and usually only bears the cost of the $150 estoppel fee. Regardless of who is paying, how did you get to $2k in closing costs on a $13k stripped contract (no MF's for 2022 or 2023 points)?

ETA: so you're paying the broker fee as well?
Yep. I am 100% subsidizing the sellers on this one. But who else is getting AKL at $83? The $2k is the cost to play for sure. After closing costs I am still at $90/pp - so I took it.

nob said:
nob---$70-$6123-75-HHI-Mar-0/22, 61/24, 75/25- sent 7/8, passed 6/22

Wow! The ROFR monster is not only asleep, he must be totally dead. They're passing contracts before they're even written up. :-)
TTA Narration: Now approaching Metropolis Science Center! Today at the Metropolis Science Center is the greatest invention of all time-a time machine! Be sure to stop by and meet the inventor, The Timekeeper. He'd love to take the time to take you through time!

If it was submitted on 5-16, it’s been almost 8 weeks now (53 days tomorrow).
I am pushing harder for more information at this point. If I walk away, I will lose my deposit and while that is an option I will keep on the table, I am not ready to do that quite yet. Next week will be a different story.

I am pushing harder for more information at this point. If I walk away, I will lose my deposit and while that is an option I will keep on the table, I am not ready to do that quite yet. Next week will be a different story.
What is your closing date? You're entitled under Florida law to have your deposit returned if the contract doesn't close by the established closing date. Closing is typically 60 calendar days from the date the contract is signed by the parties, and you're getting pretty close to that date. Next week will definitely be a different story.

Last edited:
I’m about to make my first offer today. Want to share your best advice you have picked up while studying since February? I’ve only been studying for a couple of weeks and want to make sure I get it right! Or if anyone else wants to chime in…I’m open!
Good luck to you!!! Here's a few thoughts based on my experience....

1) I took screenshots of all the BWV contracts that were passing and saved them in a folder on my phone to get a ROUGH estimate of what price contracts were going for. Keep in mind that I think prices tend to skew lower on this board, as there are a lot of experienced veterans bidding here :) and you probably won't be one of the lucky ones to set a record low...but it helped me to feel confident in my offers and that my offer was fair.
2) this board can make you feel like offers get accepted all the time, but I think the reality is you might need to offer on a LOT of contracts before you finally negotiate a deal with one.
3) to put #2 in perspective, we offered on 8 contracts over the course of 2 weeks. 7 were outright rejected and one (coincidentally the first contract we offered on) was countered. It had a $125 pp list price. We offered $105. They countered at $115. We originally didn't counter back but after having 7 other offers rejected we realized those people were willing to play ball and had met us half way, so they were probably motivated. We countered back $112 pp and got accepted.
4) just an observation and our experience...it seemed like the older contracts sitting out there are sitting there for a reason. Those people seemed unwilling to negotiate (and that's probably why the contract has been listed for months). The one that negotiated with us had only been listed for two days. So take that with a grain of salt...but it might be worth watching diligently for new listings and offering quickly when you see one that matches what you are looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter