Romantic things to do in the "World" on our Honeymoon?

mickeywatch33

But it's a talking DOG!!
My fiance and I will be capping off our honeymoon cruise (not DCL) this November with a few nights at the Grand Floridian where we got engaged last year. We will be there for 3-nights and 4-days. Any romantic ideas? (Dining, photo opps., shows, romantic spots, etc...) I want to make it special, though I must say, not too expensive. Money is tight...do you know what it costs to having a decent wedding now-a-days?!:eek:

Thanks in advance!

Congratulations! My wife and I were just married at disney in december. We also stayed at the GF. Depending on your budget, I would try Victoria & Alberts. It was a great experience, but it runs about $125 pp. Another good dining venue for couples is the California Grill. Try to make an ADR for about 30 -60 minutes before the Wishes fireworks show. During the fireworks the restaurant dims the lights and plays the music from the park and its like a private viewing of Wishes, this was probably my fav at WDW, and the food is excellent. And dont let the menus posted deter you, the menu changes often. Also, Artist point at the Wilderness Lodge is very nice.

Another favorite romantic dining spot is Bistro de Paris. It is located above Chefs des France. The door is behind Chef's. Very quiet with a lovely view of WS.

Thank you! Yeah, We both have never been to any of the France restaurants. And great link. I was unaware of that. :thanks: :disrocks:

I have to disagree with California Grill just before Fireworks.
California Grill yes, but not before fireworks if you want a romantic evening. (I suggest being there early and seeing sunset)
Actually this was the whole point of my subition to the Resturant Review.
I'll Copy it here for you to see why.
Its below.
But might I also suggest a cheaper romantic date.
Go have Dinner on the Boardwalk. Spoodles, Flying Fish maybe Big River Grill. Then has some ice cream at SeaShore Sweets. Followed by renting a Surrey Bike for two around Cresant Lake. And to top the evening visit Jelly Rolls Dualing Piano Bar, have a few drinks, listen to the music and sign along.
Personally I would add Jelly Rolls to the Top Ten things your not doing list.
It's a fun club for those of us who don't like to dance or get drunk.
It's really a great evening, cost would be about the same (depending on what/how much you drink) but you get a whole evening for two instead of just a dinner.

Don’t be Dopey, visit California Grill before it gets Goofy.

The California Grill is one of Disney’s self proclaimed “upscale” and romantic restaurants sitting atop the Contemporary Resort offering glorious views and top notch service. And it can be, but only if you get there early enough. In my opinion is the one and only Disney restaurant I will never be visiting again.
My first visit to the California Grill was magnificent. My wife, Kortney and I visited on the first night of our Honeymoon. Our Priority Seating Reservation was for about 5:30 just as the restaurant opened for the evening.
We were quickly seated along the window facing the Magic Kingdom just as the sun was getting lower in the sky, providing an awesome view of the park and Seven Seas Lagoon.
Our waiter quickly greeted us and explained how the restaurant works with an open grill for guest easily viewing their meal being prepared. The waiter then asked us if we would like a bottle of wine. We said yes but explained we don’t know much about wine to know how to choose He said no problem, and came back with a couple samples including of a Riesling made by Graf Vineyards. It was perfect. To this day is our favorite bottle of wine. (Though not available anymore at the California Grill but can be sampled and purchased at Weinkeller in Germany at EPCOT).
I ordered the Oak Fired Beef Filet with potatoes and Kortney ordered the Red Snapper Filet with rice. We said to each other that she can have my mashed potatoes and I’ll take her rice. The waiter over heard and said not to worry, he’ll have the chef swap them in the kitchen.
As we enjoyed our wine the restaurant began to fill up with couples. Maybe one or two children but generally maintained a quiet romantic atmosphere thought out the dinner.
Overall the meal was perfect, great food, extremely knowledgeable and helpful staff with a romantic atmosphere for any couple.
On our next visit several years later Kortney’s parents decided to take us and our son to Disney World so we wanted to say thanks by paying for a nice meal for them.
About 5 months ahead I call and reserved a table at California Grill asking for a time to be seated to enjoy the fireworks from the restaurant that evening.
Fireworks begin at 8pm that night so I was given a 7:15 seating. That evening arrives and we show up at the second floor at 7:10 telling the hostess we’re here for our dinner reservation. She hands me a pager and tells me I can wait by those couches on the other side. When the pager goes off we can go up the elevator.
Not remembering how it worked, we do as we’re told. 7:15 comes and goes and we wait. About 7:30 comes and I notice we’re the only group waiting while others are going directly upstairs. I ask the hostess why others get to go up directly but we have to wait? She says sorry, the manager will be down shortly to speak with me if I like.
A few minutes later the manager comes down to the second floor and explains we missed our table. The pager likely didn’t go off because we were on the 2nd floor and the system on the 15th floor and they likely called our name but we didn’t hear it. I explained to the manager how I could not have been made to feel more like a second class citizen and upset I was since I was just doing what I was told to do.
She said she was sorry she’ll do what she can to get us a table but since it’s so close to the fireworks it’s likely people will be staying until they are over. Till then we are welcome to come upstairs, wait and watch the fireworks.
I explained this to my family. I myself was ready to walk out and just catch a hamburger instead but got out voted so we went upstairs and waited.
At about 7:59 the manager said a table is finally ready. (Just as the fireworks is beginning.) We settled in, and ordered The food was as good as we remembered and I have no complaints about that. But Instead of a quiet romantic restaurant, it is filled with families and loud children running around giddy over the fireworks. The table next to us had four rowdy children, only one of which was actually sitting down at the table. The other three were running around it. This time the waitress was not nearly as insightful or as accommodating about the menu. She could not give us a recommendation on a wine and merely took our order and brought our food. Our memories were completely destroyed and we left extremely disappointed.
The meal ended up costing roughly $200 and despite the extreme trouble we had with the staff and getting seated, the manager didn’t take even a dollar off the price of the bill or offer any kind of compensation for our trouble.
The moral of the story here is while the California Grill can offer wonderful meal, Don’t be Dopey, visit it early before it get’s Goofy.

Thanks for the sound advice about the california grill. I will take that into consideration.

My DH and I honeymooned at Disney in 2006. We wore our honeymoon buttons religiously, and found that many castmembers surprised us with ways to celebrate. In Mexico, we were able to have a boat all to ourselves on the ride and they put several boats in front and in back of us so were were kind of alone. Very nice.

In the UK at the Rose and Crown our server brought us a special congratulations dessert with a Magical Moments certificate.

At the MK every table service meal we had, our table was filled with colorful confetti and one server even made us confetti hearts on the table.

We stayed at the Caribbean Beach resort and returned to our room one night to find a balloon and card from Cinderella and Prince Charming congratulating us.

There are lots of inexpensive ways to celebrate, just let EVERYONE know you are on your honeymoon...and cast members will do what they can.

Congratulations by the way!! :cutie:

Thank you Fredd's Girl. After the proposal in Disney last November, my DF and I went to the customer service desk in Epcot and they gave us the Just Married pins but crossed out Married and wrote Engaged. It did draw a lot of attention to us. We got the special treatment at Cinderella's castle with a special free dessert and the Princessess ate it up. Very fun. I will have to remember to get the Just Married pins again, only this time, not cross out Married...:laughing:

Thanks

We honeymoon'd at the GF in 2001. I'd like to second the idea of the Boardwalk, perhaps the flying fish (for a signature meal) or spoodles for a slightly cheaper meal (it‘s a great non-signature dinner though). Then a hand in hand waterfront stroll and an ice cream at the board walk or at beaches and cream at the beach club. If you like the idea of an old fashioned east coast board walk night, this can be very romantic. They have two sets of entertainment that comes out to the boardwalk at different time intervals. Very charming. Wife and I love this! You can see the illuminations fireworks from the boat pier entrance at the Yacht club, or even a few other places around crescent lake.

If you want to stay at the GF, can I also second scrapping pennies together for Victoria and Alberts. You will NEVER forget it. Let me promise you that, I've had the luck and pleasure of visiting each signature disney restaurant at least twice and we are glad we went for V&A on our honeymoon. You can keep the cost down by not opting for the wine pairings. The lady will get a rose, I think we got a nice chocolate plaque to commemorate our honeymoon.

That being said, we really like Citricos (which can get pricey also), and two of our most memorable meals over the last 6 years have been there. It is a bit more quiet and sophisticated than some of the other restaurants. We had some nicely hand made pastries given to us in honor of our anniversary last year.

Also another ditto, Bistro de Paris, they have a new chef as of Septemberish, and he seems to be off to a good start. We got a late ADR, and our server eventually moved us to a perfect seat for illuminations. It's very quiet and romantic, and the service is very good at what they do. Just off the chart marks here. The fixed menu was an excellent choice.

One of the things we usually do is to dress up a little for our "big" nights out. We plan a bit more time to get cleaned up before hand and go "out on the town". Makes us feel a bit more special and magical. For V&A you will need to as they have a specific dress code.

As a night out, on our honey moon, we hit an early diner upstairs at Wolf Gang Pucks Grand Cafe, and caught the Cirque show. It's a nice equivalent of a night in New York. After the show you can stroll downtown disney until it slows down. Although costly, the show, I think is excellent, and I was glad we decided to go for it.

Speaking of slowing down, some of our most romantic moments have been after the parks close and clear out. For example when you eat at Bistro by the time you are finished the park is closed, and you exit the building totally alone. It's weird to have the park to yourself and be able to hold hands and stop and look out over the glistening lights over the lagoon.

Late night use of the quiet pool and spas at the hotel.
An illuminations or Wishes cruise (I know expensive...haven't swung that one myself). Maybe share one with someone on the internet.
Check out the Perlmutters book (Disney World for Couples).
Walking the beach at the Poly during Wishes or during the Electrical Water Pagent. Grab a beach chair lounge cover chair thingie.
If you do eat at the Cali Grill Don't forget to go out on the cat walks to look out over the MK, hopefully you'll be alone in doing so.
A nice meal at Artist Pointe with an after dinner walk around the Wilderness Lodge, it is one of the best themed properties, and at night can transport you away…the running water, and the lake front.
Yachtsman Steak House has been quieter and intimate for us as of late (notice the premium we put on quiet), if your in that area for a fancier meal.
The Grand Floridian did have a custom menu and with enough ahead notice they could have a meal for you at a table just about anywhere on the grounds. It's called the "Private Dining Menu". Expensive like room service, but if you want to be alone....I'd rather go to V&A, Citricos, or Narcoosees myself.
A lot of the more secluded areas are romantic, the garden area in England is nice to relax in, especially if you like the Beatles music. The Japan garden is beautiful. Exploring the EPCOT countries, every nook and every cranny just feels more adult and more romantic in nature.
If you happen to be coming home to the GF later at night on the Monorail, ESPECIALLY if you are alone, ask to be seated with the Pilot up front, it’s really cool.
Never under estimate the power of the late night ice cream! Or Chocolate anything…

Wherever you eat, if you can eat later, it will make it quieter, and you will have a better chance of being pampered. Also, after, you can explore the property. We like staying in the parks late, take a last ADR before closing, and close the place, walk out almost alone. Watch the fireworks from more secluded places, beaches, etc.

I wish you the most magical time! I wish I could relive mine,
George

It was probably mentioned but I would like to reinterate the Disney Florist.

They were great and you really get a lot of bang for your buck IMHO.

Thank you, gmichaeld! That was a lot of input. I really like the idea of a late ADR and walking out almost alone! This past November when I proposed to my DF in Disney, we at at Narcoossee's sp* and watched the fireworks from there. It was nice, but our view was slightly obstucted by other guests on the balcony in front of our window. :mad: I would really like to try Citrico's. I heard a lot of good things about that restaurant. Of course I plan to request the same room I proposed to her at the GF, though it was only a pier view, it has special meaning now.

And, drakethib, I did use the Disney Florist this past November as well. They worked with the GF and had rose pedals scattered on the floor leading to the bed that had a rose pedal heart. The rose bouquet was really beautiful too. I recommend them to anyone planning something special in the world.

Thank you all for the great ideas and advice! I have 9 months to plan the perfect romantic night for my Disney Princess. We'll see what happens:rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter