Rookie Mistake Purchasing a Contract - Need Advice

cbailey1616

Earning My Ears
Hello all,

Made a stupid mistake when I purchased my first DVC contract. Turns out I purchased a contract with 210 of the 360 points for this use year in holding. Which, I found out today means I can only book 60 days out. We just had a baby born last week so I wont be able to travel anywhere for a while so Im going to have too offload these points before they expire in October. I suppose my only option is to book Saratoga or Old Key west and try to sell the the rental? Would these rentals even sell? Any advise here?

-Chris

Call member services and explain your situation. You may be able to have them make a one time exemption for you. There is no guarantee with this, just be nice and you may get lucky. 🍀

Last edited:
If you wait until summer when there may be some more availability you may well be able to rent the points. A lot of the points rental groups have people looking for stays within 30/ 60 days so you should have a fairly good chance of renting the reservation if MS can’t do anything for you. Especially if you price slightly lower.

We put our October points up for rent with a well known rental firm. We had 250 points available We had no takers until July when all the points went in 3 separate bookings at $16 per point

I agree you should at least try to see if they will give you an exception and remove holding. It can’t hurt.

If you don't have luck with Member Services, rather than booking a reservation and trying to sell it, check places that coordinate renters with members to see if anyone is looking for a reservation that you can rent to them. I really hope member services helps you out though especially since it's your first contract.

You'll be able to rent them. People are usually looking for close in rentals much more than further out.

If calling MS doesn't help and if your contract did in fact list them as in holding then I would try my suggestion below.

What you can do is, make a reservation with your points which are not in holding, then when you get within the 60 days mark, swap out the points which has no holding with holding points. With 210 in holding and only 150 not in holding you can sort of only "save" 150 of them.

Just have in mind that the banking window for 2023 UY is May 31st 2024 so preferable you need to have saved your points before then so any unused points can be banked.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter