room requests for OKW studio 1st timers with toddler

iwannbindisnee

DIS Veteran
Hello! we are giving a OKW Studio to my DNiece & her husband & 2 year old as a delayed wedding present. They have never been to WDW & frankly have never traveled much at all, except local camping. I want to make a request that would have them within walking distance to the main pool & also not too far from a bus stop, so they don't have to walk a lot after a long day at the parks with DD2.
I know they cannot get the buildings designated "close to HH" b/c that was not their booking category. Would requesting Building 27 be a good choice?
We've only stayed here twice & we were adults & didn't much care about bus stop or pool locations...

Is there something else I should consider instead?
thanks for any help. I just want to help make this first family vacation Magical!
Debbie

Hello! we are giving a OKW Studio to my DNiece & her husband & 2 year old as a delayed wedding present. They have never been to WDW & frankly have never traveled much at all, except local camping. I want to make a request that would have them within walking distance to the main pool & also not too far from a bus stop, so they don't have to walk a lot after a long day at the parks with DD2.
I know they cannot get the buildings designated "close to HH" b/c that was not their booking category. Would requesting Building 27 be a good choice?
We've only stayed here twice & we were adults & didn't much care about bus stop or pool locations...

Is there something else I should consider instead?
thanks for any help. I just want to help make this first family vacation Magical!
Debbie

Bldg 16 would be a good choice, too. Also, I'd request a 2nd or 3rd floor unit, that way they are pretty much guaranteed on not getting a handicap unit, so they'll have a tub for the toddler. Since OKW has no elevators, all the HA units are on the first floor, except for the newest buildings (62, 63 and 64) that have elevators.

Bldg 16 would be a good choice, too. Also, I'd request a 2nd or 3rd floor unit, that way they are pretty much guaranteed on not getting a handicap unit, so they'll have a tub for the toddler. Since OKW has no elevators, all the HA units are on the first floor, except for the newest buildings (62, 63 and 64) that have elevators.

Thanks, CHuck for that option & the 2nd or 3rd floor--didn't even think of that!
Debbie

Another question. Is the building & floor request something I call about ahead of time or email? Or is it somehting we should do on the "on-line checkin"?
Debbie

I would stay away from 27, 28, 29. They are along a fairway and trees block the view. I had 28 one time and the trees made the room dark even during the day.

Keep in mind that unless you get 62, 63, 64, you will be hauling a stroller up the steps (assuming you have one) if you are on 2 or 3.

I've always requested first floor and never got a handicapped room.

Another question. Is the building & floor request something I call about ahead of time or email? Or is it somehting we should do on the "on-line checkin"?
Debbie

I always call MS as soon as I make my reservation. You can also email them from the member site.

I wouldn't wish a third floor room on any family with a toddler, a stroller and all of the paraphernalia that goes another with toddler. There are just too many steps to carry the sleeping toddler and all that stuff up each night. We stayed at OKW when it was pouring down rain for most of our stay, definitely not fun.

I've always requested first floor and never got a handicapped room.

You've been lucky. I've gotten an HA room several times when I requested first floor at OKW. Since my party was all adults, it didn't make a lot of difference, but it did happen quite often.

Just got back from a stay in Building 35, Turtle Pond Rd area- nice location but we had a 3rd floor studio. NEVER AGAIN. After a long day in the parks the last thing I wanted to do was climb 4 flights of stairs. And bringing up luggage & groceries was a pain.
If I had a toddler I would absolutely request 2nd floor or lower. Our first time to OKW we were assigned a 1st floor HA room and we asked to be moved as our DD was about 3 at the time and needed a tub for bathing.

Just got back from a stay in Building 35, Turtle Pond Rd area- nice location but we had a 3rd floor studio. NEVER AGAIN. After a long day in the parks the last thing I wanted to do was climb 4 flights of stairs. And bringing up luggage & groceries was a pain.
If I had a toddler I would absolutely request 2nd floor or lower. Our first time to OKW we were assigned a 1st floor HA room and we asked to be moved as our DD was about 3 at the time and needed a tub for bathing.

Thanks for the input. I htink I will definitely ask for 2nd floor max. I can't imagine going up those flights of stairs with all that gear!
Debbie

I would recommend Turtle Pond buildings. try to get one right by the pool. It is quiet / not busy and they have a nice playground.

Just got back from a stay in Building 35, Turtle Pond Rd area- nice location but we had a 3rd floor studio. NEVER AGAIN. After a long day in the parks the last thing I wanted to do was climb 4 flights of stairs. And bringing up luggage & groceries was a pain. If I had a toddler I would absolutely request 2nd floor or lower. Our first time to OKW we were assigned a 1st floor HA room and we asked to be moved as our DD was about 3 at the time and needed a tub for bathing.

We too just got back from building 31. We had a bad experience with several issues with the exterior of the building as well as many issues in the room, especially to sofa sleeper mattress. How was the condition of your room?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter