Roxymama's 5k to Marathon, Time to Collect Another Castle

The donut matches your watch band!! (Clearly my priorities are entirely in order)

party: Woohoo!!! Way to go girl!!!

Congrats!!!! : )

Love the donut sweaty band! Can't wait to read the recap. WOOHOO!!!

Love the donut headband and that you got to eat a donut post race. Can't wait to hear more about it.

Congrats on that PR!!! That medal is even prettier than I could have imagined. <3

Thanks everyone and sorry for making anyone hungry. It's nice you all came back to this thread even though I had been letting it lag. I am posting my recap during my lunch hour...since I worked straight from early yesterday to 11pm last night I think it would be an appropriate brain break. So come back for my recap!!

And my what's next post!!!

NAPERVILLE WOMEN'S HALF MARATHON RACE RECAP 4/22/18
race1.JPG

I was oddly calm going into this weekend. Work had been action packed all week and I knew that 13.1 was going to be a tough battle to complete. But I guess because I didn't have huge expectations for how it was going to turn out (I was already considering at what point a DNF would be fine...yeah, I can overreact sometimes) I just didn't get as anxiety laden as I have for races where I wanted a specific outcome really badly. Either that, or I'm finally starting to not be as worried filled due to experience.
I laid out capris and really short sleeves with a tank and all my gear the night before. I contemplated shorts but decided I wouldn't be moving fast enough to generate that much heat. I did take a hoodie with me (cheap old cotton one as I didn't want to have to sacrifice any of my cool tech long sleeves to the donation bins) but I didn't bring any gloves or warm accessories beyond that. Decided to fill and carry my 9oz Nathan handheld water bottle and pack it with 3 gels. Stuffed a backup set of wired headphones in my armband along with my car key, ID, money, etc. I really wasn't going overboard with the gear. Weather was 40 degrees and no sun, with chance to get to 55 with partial sun by race end if it took my between 2:30 and 3 hours. Possibly 59 if took me longer but I was secretly rooting for myself to finish under that time.

It was an early wakeup so I told roxyhubby to not come with me since him and kiddo may have nothing to do for all those hours and I didn't know how the weather would turn out. He said, what if we came and met you. I told him that would be ok but to really check all the road closures and parking on the website because I didn't want them to go all that way and get stuck. He also promised me coffee and possibly donuts back at home when I finished. So I made the easy 45 min drive which was exactly 26.2 miles from my house (WEIRD RIGHT???) and got the very last parking space in the second parking lot of 5 listed on their website. Race was starting at North Central college and it seemed a little like a ghost town considering all the full parking spots.

race2.JPG
Even when I got to the track where the starting line and finish line were set up it was still very much like all the people were gone. Did I not time this right...No, I saw plenty of people milling about by their cars...am I way too early???? See below how they had the finisher chute for the HM (purple) next to the 5k (pink) and the start line was farther down behind it in white. Where those yellow and blue fences are off to the right on the field were the corral lineups. But barely any people. So I decided to go look for the porta potties.

race3.JPG

Oh wait....here are all the people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Everyone was waiting in the stadium where they had space heaters and where it was warm.

race4.JPG

I went back outside to go for my last potty break (no lines huzzah) although there was a giant line when I exited so perhaps I'm a trend setter. And then decided to mill about the field instead of being claustrophobic in the stadium. I'm not kidding when I say that this picture below was taking 10 min before the 7am start time. A tad different than disney races. The corrals were self seeded and there were only three. 8min or faster. 9 min. and 10 min. And then everyone else. I just stuck myself somewhere at the very back of the 10min. The 2:20 pace group seemed quite giant and so I sort of let them go ahead of me and the announcer said "wave 1 will end here" right as I was approaching the track. I didn't realize there were two waves and I quickly decided I'd rather be tailing behind a logjam of people to keep my pace in check, then at the literal start line for the second wave and going out too fast. If that makes sense. So I was amongst the last line of people to cross the start at wave 1. I still have no idea how long they waited to release the next wave...it wasn't until mile 2 or 3 that I had a handful of very fast seeming people passing me...maybe catching up???

race5.JPG

So I don't have a lot of pics from the race afterall. I had my phone in my capri pockets (OMG I LOVE CAPRI POCKETS!) and wireless headphones in (rocking out to a mix of Kesha, Gwen, Christina, Britney, etc.)

Mile 1: 10:44
I definitely made a concerted effort not to go out too crazy. The volume of people certainly helped and the tighter area around the track and then through part of campus helped as well. I kind of had a mental target of being between 10:25 and 10:50 as a "good place" for this race. Once we got out into the neighborhood it really opened up and there was lots of room. 2:20 pace group was about a blockish away and would be that way for some time. I still had my teal cotton hoodie on because it was still a tad chilly.

Mile 2: 10:28
hitting my stride and feeling pretty good. The majority of the race was winding through residential streets and so I spent quite a bit of time house hunting. There was at least one family on just about every street (some out in their pajamas, some in lawn chairs, some with signs.) So I took every opportunity I could for a high five or a smile. Whatever would give me a power boost.
Pretty sure the 5k split off here...it would not start for another 45 minutes but the signs were out. No turning back once I passed it.

Mile 3: 9:58 and my fastest mile this race. Just hitting my stride. I definitely took off my hoodie somewhere during this mile or mile 4 (cant' remember). The dongles were annoying me and I wasn't exactly getting hot but I just didn't feel like wearing it anymore. I realized as I was taking it off that my arm band was over it and came off and was gone (DOH)...amazingly I turn my head and a woman in orange has it in her hands and gasps OMG I CAUGHT IT. I emphatically said THANK YOU!!! So I'm juggling my water bottle my armband and my now half off hoodie. And trying to stay running...probably why I sped up. I held my hoodie in one hand for about another mile waiting for the next aid station to set it down.

Mile 4: 10:29 I was noticing lots of long sleeves and hoodies wrapped around wastes and discarded on cones but I had it my head to set it down at the aid station. I ran past a woman in a lawn chair with a sign reading "Do Epic Sh*t" and there were like 3 coats laying next to her and I gestured like "can I put my hoodie there" She smiled so I did. I'd see her later when we came back near that street again. I saw my husbands old tri coach with the triathlon team name and called out "Hi Coach Joe" and I could tell he was trying to figure out who I was. I'd see him three more times and he gave me encouragement each time. Never did get to tell him who I was.

Mile 5: 10:19 I was still feeling pretty good but I'd done lots of training in the 3-6 mile range so that shouldn't have too surprising. I knew I wanted to do a gel at about 45 minutes but was sort of waiting for a good time. I drank the rest of my water bottle and got a refill on the go (thanks volunteer dude for offering the liter water bottle while we slow jogged) and I downed a vanilla clif shot gel packet. And drank more water. Hills started around here or maybe I just started noticing them more. THe elevation chart showed there'd be some uphill right in the middle of the race before some up and down toward the end (with a net loss by just a smidge overall)

Mile 6: 10:34 Still feeling alright overall. Definitely didn't feel like i was pushing, much more like a true long run with maybe some extra mustard now and then. I had at this point been going a little back and forth with a few groups of women. I'd see them again after leaving them or I'd come up on them after losing them. The roads were still fairly wide open so lots of space but familiar people at this point. Could still see the 2:20 pace group. It grew and shrunk and grew over the first half of the race. I had a teeny inkling maybe I'd stay with them for a while, but I was still so unsure about my ability to sustain this through the long haul. My 6.2 was at a 1:03 which is well past my 10k fall pace but not terribly far off from other 10k's I'd done prior to that. So I was content.

Mile 7: 10:46 Nothing of huge note sticks out in my head about mile 7. I do remember running near where we had BBQ the day before!

Mile 8: 11:28 The peak of elevation. And three walk breaks. I felt some lactic burn in the calves during an especially extended uphill and I took a fast walk as a breather. There was at least one other of the same situation. And right as I was about to mile 9 I took half of my cherry chocolate caffeine clif shot and drank a bunch of water and texted my hubby that I was at mile 9. He responded Wow Good Job!! Just 4 to go. But I didn't see that response until later. I did not know that he texted me back from the parking garage at the college. :)

Mile 9: 10:49 A bit of a bounce back. Just ran that mile straight. I knew getting to 10 would be the biggest proof that I could finish this thing. Because then it was just a 5k and I could survive a 5k. The course had a lot of turns in it and right about now I was extra greatful for them because my mind would stick on "just get to the next turn" on repeat. The next turn can be good motivation.

Mile 10: 11:44 Ok so mile 10 wasn't the fastest. At this point I was kind of feeling the effects tiredness in my legs. Breathing wise I was fine. The weather was good and my body wasn't over heated or too cold. But the fatigue was obviously starting to set in. A volunteer group was passing out smarties and I took one and put it in my pocket. I wasn't watch watching very much at all this race. I'd more feel the buzz at the mile markers and go "heh, ok" or check on my time as I approached the minutes where I wanted to take my gels. But overall I was just sort of not caring. But as we approached mile 11 I started doing the dreaded Race Math!

Mile 11: 11:06
Hey I remember I took a picture during mile 11. Right about where the mile 11 sign should have been was when we turned off residential street and onto a path through a wooded area. When stepping up onto the curb that took us from street to path I kinda felt my calves get sort of tight. I was perturbed that the mile sign wasn't there and I took a little walk break. Saw hubby's text plus one that said "feeling ok?" And I wrote "11 legs tight just trying my best" He wrote You can Do It, I know it! and sent a pic but I wouldn't see either until I crossed the finish line. So then I saw mile marker 11.1

race8.jpg

Aha, so they were letting us know we had 3 miles left, not 3.1
I kind of liked that. So now I was doing the "if I run 3 miles in 30 minutes then I will finish in X...but I'll probably do 11 min and finish in X, but if I have one at 11 and another at 12..." etc. So I had the will to go get my PR, just would by body play along nicely?

The paved path had lots of chalk sayings on it for us as we ran. Motivational things. I appreciated those. And I can't remember most of them now!
Then there was an 11.2 marker, and 11.3, and 11.4...ugh why? I didn't like that. I prefer more miles to just go by without me noticing. Once we were free of the wooded area that stopped. My calves were really starting to remind me they existed and so I just eased up a bit more even though I was started to get rapidly passed by pacmans. I was a ghost for sure. But I was a determined ghost!

Mile 12: 12:37
Mile 13 11:54
Last .24 miles 10:47 pace
I had more leg issues this mile. Everything in my head was saying "One more mile" "you have this" "this is nothing" "omg you are going to PR" and my legs were just tight and tired and kind of ouchy. I was starting to feel it in my hips too. And I didn't want a tight calf muscle to go snap. So I just kept myself steady and yes, walked up another few hills. Once I saw the college and the track approaching I tried to just hold steady and not give up. I went from in the span of 4 miles thinking I could get less than 2:20 to a 2:20 to maybe a few min more to definitely at least a PR to "oh no, I don't want to blow a PR" and so I ran from 13 all the way in with all the heart I could muster.
I chomped 4 people on the the track and so at least I finished a pacman.
Heard screaming that sounded just like my hubby and kiddo, saw the clock and knew it was a PR day, huge smile and the tears started welling. My baby was there and she had dunkin donuts for me :)!!!!

2:25:38 final

race6.JPG

race7.JPG
Didn't realize but hubby sent me this pic at mile 11.1 and I had not seen it until after I finished.
race9.jpg

The adrenaline of seeing my family and completing this half marathon and doing it with my best time despite not intending to do that and despite me backing off. Well it made me quite happy.

race10.jpg

Until I my legs reminded me they existed and then we took a little rest in the end zone with donuts. More pics coming.

Last edited:
tenor.gif

HAHAHA
I hate to admit how long it took me to get my pictures on there and then all the time for my long winded mile by mile blow by blow evaporated. Just gotta take my kiddo to the park, make some dinner and dig back in!!!!!!!!
The suspense adds so much though right????

Naperville Women's Half Marathon Part 2 - After the race and stats
Part one now complete above
Thoughts about the race and my stats interspersed with a few more post race pics.

It was a fairly fast field which I kind of knew going into it by stalking past results. Only 20ish guys ran that weren't official pacers which was a bit of a surprise. In hindsight I think I saw only 3 out there with me.

Division Place 220/338 65% (I usually hope to be above 50% but not today)
Gender Place 912/1616 56% (there were times in my head at the end I thought I was in last just because it got so spread out)
Overall Place 926/1635 - see not very many dudes!!! Even Tink HM had quite a few fellas.

This donut however placed first overall!
race11.JPG

They had mats in two spots on the course.
10k I was avg 10:35 pace
10 mile I was avg 10:59 pace
And then they showed last 3.1 as 35 something and 11:34 pace
Overall 11:07 pace officially
and my garmin had me at 10:59:9 so let's say 11:00 even when considering the extra mileage I ran.
If you have told me that Saturday I would have said "DEAL!"
Wasn't quite the 10:50 max pace in my perfect world scenario but I'm glad I didn't push too much through the pain and end up hurt. And honestly, I did pretty great compared to some of the bad "could happen" scenarios I went through in my head.

And its the first half marathon finish I got to share with my kiddo. She asked how long I ran and I said "like if we ran from our house to grandma's" I could tell that impressed her.

race12.JPG race13.JPG race14.JPG race15.JPG

After we had some coffee and eggs and bacon and I took a restless nap (but I tried!) and hubby took kiddo to the park while I remained glued to the couch. He said he had some things to get at Target and I said I should go with them so that I could walk around. Get the legs moving. And maybe I had an ulterior motive to get a coconut mocha machiatto thing at starbucks in target...maybe...
race16.JPG

I think this race was overall a positive experience. The community support and "girl power" messages in signs and on the ground and from volunteers was maybe exactly what I needed. It felt like Diet Tinkerbell weekend...if only more people were wearing wings and there were more chances for pictures with chipmunks. I was so happy my family showed up at the race finish and celebrated with me. And I know with better training (my fault entirely for not completing/attacking my plan) I could have finished even stronger. But I finished. And that was enough for me. My hubby often tells me "You are enough"
And I was.

And now an artistic interpretation of how my legs felt the rest of the day
race17.JPG

NEXT STOP: CHICAGO MARATHON

Great job pulling out that PR despite some rough patches. You did so awesome and definitely deserved all the donuts.

Also ... 26.2 mile drive to a half? I think that's a sign that you're supposed to run a half and a marathon in the same weekend. Probably at WDW.
Just saying.

I love your Porgs in both hands. I think what is different between a half that has 'Women's Half' in the name and Tink is, while Tink is (was) themed for women and on Mother's Day Weekend it's a Disney race and everyone loves Disney and it doesn't have women in the name. Having women in the name throws guys off. We have one near me that's a 10 miler and the only men are pacers and handing out medals. In bow ties. Shirtless if the weather permits. It's a thing.

I love everything about this race weekend for you. A PR(!), good family time, roxstar RoxyKiddo, sweet RoxyHubby, donuts... There is something about a good race that rekindles the fire for future goals... I am so excited to follow your journey to 26.2!

(I also have a very serious, deep love for porgs... so that picture is everything for me!!)

Loved the recap and I'd say you did a fantastic job. You know, sometimes LIFE gets in the way of an awesome training plan. Can't wait to see your prep for Chicago and be there when you crush it!

My hubby often tells me "You are enough"
And I was.

So much yes!! I have a friend who says, "Sometimes good enough actually is." Bring on Chicago!!

This is so amazing. <3 <3 <3

Great job pulling out that PR despite some rough patches. You did so awesome and definitely deserved all the donuts.

Also ... 26.2 mile drive to a half? I think that's a sign that you're supposed to run a half and a marathon in the same weekend. Probably at WDW.
Just saying.

I love your Porgs in both hands. I think what is different between a half that has 'Women's Half' in the name and Tink is, while Tink is (was) themed for women and on Mother's Day Weekend it's a Disney race and everyone loves Disney and it doesn't have women in the name. Having women in the name throws guys off. We have one near me that's a 10 miler and the only men are pacers and handing out medals. In bow ties. Shirtless if the weather permits. It's a thing.

I love everything about this race weekend for you. A PR(!), good family time, roxstar RoxyKiddo, sweet RoxyHubby, donuts... There is something about a good race that rekindles the fire for future goals... I am so excited to follow your journey to 26.2!

(I also have a very serious, deep love for porgs... so that picture is everything for me!!)

LOVE the recap! Amazing job with all the impacts to your training. This has me even more excited for your Chicago debut :banana:

Loved the recap and I'd say you did a fantastic job. You know, sometimes LIFE gets in the way of an awesome training plan. Can't wait to see your prep for Chicago and be there when you crush it!

So much yes!! I have a friend who says, "Sometimes good enough actually is." Bring on Chicago!!

Great recap, and I love Porgs!

Thanks everyone! I struggle with thinking I'm doing enough or being enough in just about all facets of my life at times (especially this year) so the reminders from hubby are welcome. Whether I believe them or not. Porgs are my favorites and they really have no point but I love them. I'd run a Star Wars race someday just to outfit myself with porgccessories.

I got some pics!!!

Proof there were other runners on the finish track. I started in a clump and passed some of them so it looked like I finished all by myself. (I'm used to being in crazy crowded races with tons of friends at the finish line)

Also photo evidence of my deceased teal hoodie. It got about a full year of baby spit up on it before living in the back of my closet, so it had it's moments of glory.

And I had to include the last pic because I always go from pure triumph to total frump after crossing the finish. I have to die for a moment before I can begin collecting my banana and medal.
IMG_3806.PNG IMG_3807.PNG IMG_3808.PNG IMG_3809.PNG IMG_3810.PNG IMG_3811.PNG IMG_3812.PNG

Loved your recap, pics, and that you got to share it with roxykiddo!
Congrats on the PR, and looking forward to reading along as you prepare for Chicago!!!

...even though I was started to get rapidly passed by pacmans. I was a ghost for sure. But I was a determined ghost!

I have learned this: One person's Pacman is another person's ghost and vice-versa. You can be both at the same time.

But it doesn't matter because I am a zorb ball this weekend, and nothing beats a zorb ball.

Congrats on the PR!

Loved your recap, pics, and that you got to share it with roxykiddo!
Congrats on the PR, and looking forward to reading along as you prepare for Chicago!!!

Thanks!! Looking forward to sharing about preparing for Chicago!

I have learned this: One person's Pacman is another person's ghost and vice-versa. You can be both at the same time.

But it doesn't matter because I am a zorb ball this weekend, and nothing beats a zorb ball.

Congrats on the PR!

ZORB!!!!!!!! Hopefully someone at the finish line will stop you from just rolling on for another few miles!!!

Non running update...disney store has these lemon beach cooler totes for $10 with purchase and I maybe got super excited today at the mall.
IMG_3835.JPG

Running update: I have not ran since my half last Sunday, however any leg soreness from earlier in the week (and there was some) has worn off. So that's good. Yesterday I started feeling some intense pain in the spot where I got a splinter while dancing with hubby barefoot on our wood floors last Saturday. About 5 minutes with a sanitized needle and tweezers and I pulled a 1/8" share of wood out of the bottom of my heel yesterday that I didn't realize was in there. Just had thought it was sore from the initial splinter removal. I literally ran a half marathon with a piece of wood in my heel and I'm a bit of a heel striker. I guess where there's a will there's a way. It was a bit tender yesterday but also now feels fine. Hoping I can avoid that before my next race and will start looking for bubble wrap in bulk for a few months from now.

Now time for some more work from my dining room table office while wearing Mickey pajamas. The next 15 days all have averages over 60 degrees but it's still cool this weekend. Wishing for some warm weather!!

It Begins....
0cd9324cd147f8df131816103b26d992.jpg

The Chicago Marathon is my next A race and my first training run towards that goal start tonight....

Ponce-Emanuel.png

Got my Dopeybadger plan in hand...errrr I mean...Blaser Coaching Services plan in hand.
Although the meat of the actual marathon plan happens 6/18 week, I have a mini-cycle first leading up to a 10k fitness test (aka...where I get too competitive and crush things and then face the dire consequences with pace adjustments OR we realize I have more work to do to get back to Fall shape which is also OK)

So if 6/18 is when I start cooking the steak, then starting tonight it's grilling weather for...

1200px-Chicago-style_hot_dog_2.jpg

(I realize this makes little sense but I was searching for good Chicago images and it was predominantly pics of hot dogs and pizza...so I hope this makes you all hungry #noketchup)

5/1 to 6/17 Building to a 10k in Chicago (Da Coach found a Tiki Run 10k on 6/17 so I'm going to see if that one fits the bill, but all signs point to YAY)

New paces!
WU/CD 13:02
EA 12:16
EB 11:28
LR 11:05
Marathon tempo 10:18
Strength 10:08
Speed 9:04
Daniels T 9:35
Daniels I 8:48

Yes, these are slower than my last plan but I also lost endurance with my off and on and non-consistent training style the last go round. So we shall see how these go and where I end up when it's all said and done.

Starting with 4 days per week
5/28 is my first 5 day week
I will have 4 and 5 day weeks during my plan.
5/7 is my first T pace run
7/16 is my first double digit long run
9/10 is my peak week (at least it looks that way)
10/7 RACE

118cc008ba66131c347a048e6f797fb0.jpg

WEEK #1
Mon 4/30 OFF
Tues 5/1 2 mi EA pace
Wed 5/2 OFF - @AuntieBean is coming to town to hang out with roxyfamily!!
Thur 5/3 3 mi EA @AuntieBean gets to play dolls with roxykiddo while I run!!
Fri 5/4 OFF
Sat 5/5 4 mi EB + strides - I'll be using a hotel treadmill or running in beautiful Columbus while in town for a family wedding. Ole!
Sun 5/6 4 mi LR back in Chicago again :)

And AWAY WE GO

chicago_marathon.png

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter