Royal changing to 1x day room cleaning

Please let us know how it goes!
We just got home from Oasis where they switched to 1 cleaning a day. I'd say it was ok....except...they need to be more consistent. For example, for the first couple days, our person cleaned when we went for dinner, which was perfect as we just showered so it meant we came back to clean bathroom and clean towels. But then, the next day he cleaned in the morning. That seemed useless as he was just cleaning up from us brushing our teeth? Maybe they still need to get in to a groove. I'll say though, when we returned to our rooms at various times, we would often see him in the hallways so they were definitely kept busy.

On the good side, we still got towel animals (and x2 since our kids were in the connecting room). Here's our collection at hte end of the week.
IMG_20230318_163610.jpg

On our last cruise they left the couch as a bed for the whole cruise, it was very inconvienent
That is *terrible*!!! Those rooms are so small, and with their weird couches that are not traditional pull outs, you cannot even put it away yourself!

Last week on Allure we still had 2X per day service, but leaving the bed out for a week is something they will definitely hear about on my next survey.

We sail on Odyssey this christmas, I need a scooter to move around now so will need the coach put away each morning, will see how that goes.

Is there really? Or just a really convenient excuse to make some cut backs that will bring more profit to the cruise line and will then become the new normal.
Does it matter? I mean isn't a company SUPPOSED to maximize it's profits?

Just thinking ... and my numbers are strictly for ease of math, not trying to be exact.

We normally would have $100 in gratuity for the week with 2 cleanings which often came with some extra service over just cleaning. Say our steward had 10 cabins he serviced twice a day, so $1000 per week.

Let's say they are doing this because they are able to cut staff in half. Our steward now does 20 cabins once a day. No where am I seeing they are reducing the gratuities, only the service. But now the steward collective gratuity is $2,000 per week.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding (we normally cruise RCL, prepay gratuities and leave extra for good service) and they aren't changing the steward/cabin ratio - perhaps they are just using them other places like room service etc. Just thinking about we keep getting price increases as service goes down.

Family wants to get back cruising but more I read, and after last one had lackluster food, I'm just not excited about going again.

We experienced this on Carnival last November and it was frustrating as the couch bed stayed out unless you put it away yourself.
It may not get us anywhere, but if this happens to us we will be complaining to guest services about the bed/couch situation. They don't need to clean the room twice, but at least restore / take out bed for us especially if it is not like a regular pullout!

Cruising MSC out of PC right now and STILL have twice a day but we really only have an evening cleaning at our request.

Does it matter? I mean isn't a company SUPPOSED to maximize it's profits?
Of course it matters! Yes, a company is supposed to be profitable but at what cost? Unhappy customers? Less travelers on their cruiseline? Will they have to reduce the cost of their cruises to entice people to travel because their service is subpar? I have the upmost respect for the workers who serve us in the dining room and our cabin steward. We have always given more than the standard gratuity because the service has been top notch. If my cabin is getting once a day service, this will probably be the first time ever we don't tip extra to the cabin steward. I'm sure with multiple cabins to clean, they won't miss it.

Of course it matters! Yes, a company is supposed to be profitable but at what cost? Unhappy customers? Less travelers on their cruiseline? Will they have to reduce the cost of their cruises to entice people to travel because their service is subpar? I have the upmost respect for the workers who serve us in the dining room and our cabin steward. We have always given more than the standard gratuity because the service has been top notch. If my cabin is getting once a day service, this will probably be the first time ever we don't tip extra to the cabin steward. I'm sure with multiple cabins to clean, they won't miss it.
Companies have made decisions to cut back quality or quantity of service for profit reasons throughout history. After 9/11, Airlines took away free food and charged for luggage citing costs of fuel, but didn't return those perks. Disney took away paper fast passes, and then the free electronic ones, but that doesn't seem to stop people from going to disney. Of course we as customers can choose not to stop paying for the services of these companies, but there are many others who will gladly pay whatever to give them business.

Respectfully, I disagree with your logic that cabin stewards will NOT miss people tipping less. Perhaps if they are now being asked to service more rooms their combined tips COULD increase. Do we know whether this is the case? Otherwise I don't like the idea of penalizing the individual staff over a company-wide policy, but acknowledge everyone has different perceptions of the value of tips. If people don't like the policy of RCCL try another cruiseline that offers more frequent stateroom service.

It may not get us anywhere, but if this happens to us we will be complaining to guest services about the bed/couch situation. They don't need to clean the room twice, but at least restore / take out bed for us especially if it is not like a regular pullout!

Based on our experiences with room attendants in the the past,I'm sure a nicely phrased request to your attendant to restore/take out the bed will work out well for you, so that you don't have to wait in line for guest services.

Respectfully, I disagree with your logic that cabin stewards will NOT miss people tipping less. Perhaps if they are now being asked to service more rooms their combined tips COULD increase. Do we know whether this is the case? Otherwise I don't like the idea of penalizing the individual staff over a company-wide policy, but acknowledge everyone has different perceptions of the value of tips.
I would not, and hopefully others would not either, tip less than the standard per day tip. Cruise line employees work very hard and deserve to be compensated for that work. What I am saying is that I am not going to tip extra on top of the standard tip which is what we normally do because our service has always been outstanding. It's possible that we may experience the same level of service we are used to with our upcoming cruise so I'm going into it with an open mind and extra cash. But I fail to see how once a day service will meet the expectation of outstanding.

I would not, and hopefully others would not either, tip less than the standard per day tip. Cruise line employees work very hard and deserve to be compensated for that work. What I am saying is that I am not going to tip extra on top of the standard tip which is what we normally do because our service has always been outstanding. It's possible that we may experience the same level of service we are used to with our upcoming cruise so I'm going into it with an open mind and extra cash. But I fail to see how once a day service will meet the expectation of outstanding.

Agree - RC is certainly limiting the possibilities for stewards to be able to demonstrate 'outstanding' service.
Glad you're going into it with an open mind. Always feel for these staff members who work so hard.

Just sailed Virgin and they were also down to 1x cleaning. The only part that's a little awkward is constantly being behind on fresh towels but I guess you could reach out and ask for them if you realize it prior to jumping in.

Please follow the thread. My questioning whether "it matters" was answering a poster asking why Royal made the change. It really doesn't matter WHY they did it, they did it. And now passengers either deal with it, or don't and decide to travel elsewhere.
Based on our experiences with room attendants in the the past,I'm sure a nicely phrased request to your attendant to restore/take out the bed will work out well for you, so that you don't have to wait in line for guest services.
Based on reports on Cruise Critic, some attendants are not honoring that request and 3rd beds are "staying out" the entire cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter