"Royal Perogatives" and the PM

EltonJohn

<font color=6600CC>DIS Veteran<br><font color=CC00
Hello :)

I know a lot about England's history, but I don't know too much about how your political system works.

Can someone please explain the "Royal Perogatives" and how they relate to the Prime Minister. If I understand this correctly, your PM has a lot of powers such as declaring war. Am I correct in saying the the PM excerisizes the Crown's "Royal Perogatives" for the Queen? What is the role of Parliament?

Thank you.

diane
:)

The Queen is the United Kingdom's Head of State. As well as carrying out significant constitutional functions, The Queen also acts as a focus for national unity, presiding at ceremonial occasions, visiting local communities and representing Britain around the world. The Queen is also Head of the Commonwealth.

Until the end of the 17th century, British monarchs were executive monarchs - that is, they had the right to make and pass legislation. Since the beginning of the eighteenth century, the monarch has become a constitutional monarch, which means that he or she is bound by rules and conventions and remains politically impartial.

On almost all matters he or she acts on the advice of ministers. While acting constitutionally, the Sovereign retains an important political role as Head of State, formally appointing prime ministers, approving certain legislation and bestowing honours.

Parliment consists of 2 'houses'. The elected house (house of commons) consists of people elected by the people to represent them (ha ha). The other house is the house of lords and consists of peers - there is a lot of talk at the moment about reforming the house of laws.

Check out this website for more info.:

http://www.parliament.uk/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter