Rude people on vacation!

cinnaminny

DIS Veteran
This morning I just happened to catch a thread on the disboards facebook group before it was deleted (I suspect deleted by the OP, because she started getting flamed)

The thread was an image of two notes, one, a politely written out message to the occupants of a hotel room who were being very noisy. Asking them if they could please try to lower the noise because they were trying to sleep.There was not a hint of snark in this note... The other note was the response, written by the OP's child, informing the original note writer that they did not have to be quite because they were on vacation and it was their time to have fun basically. She added that asking them to be quite was very rude. (bonus points if the OP is actually on this board lol)

The OP thought this was smart or cute or clever or something, she was obviously proud enough to post it publicly. At this point the flaming began. The post was taken down quickly. Which got me thinking about rude people at Disney or vacations in general.

I've seen a few rude things, but really, not that much. What is the worst you have seen?

#1For me, at Disney World I saw a guy trying to speed past a couple with their child in a stroller, this man ended up actually stepping on the stroller and tripped. He had literally tried stepping over their child in a moving buggy. Then he had the nerve to look at the couple in disgust.

#2We camped out for a long time at Epcot to see Illuminations. So it starts, we are excited and then, all of a sudden in between my husbands face and my face a woman sticks her camera. Not just any camera but a camera with bright light on it. Right in between our faces. Like, right friggin there. I just turned around and glared. Seriously.

What is some of the worst behavior you have seen while on vacation?

The family that pushed thru the stand by line, banging into and thru people with no regard. It so happens they did this on our next ride too. They kept saying... family family... we all assumed they were catching up to a family member. But then people were getting angry. When we exited the 2nd ride..we stopped and spoke to the CM. They apparently had gotten other complaints. I think there was no other family :(.
Rude and Wrong!!
The CM gave us some pixie dust.. which was a complete surprise as we were just annoyed and wanted to let the cm know it /pushing wasn’t safe nor was it right.
there have been other small annoyances but we Ignore them.

Sadly there are many entitled people... that think Their (vacation, store purchase, driving etc) is more important than others.
Ignoring most of it is easier than allowing it to fester .. unless of course it’s a safety issue.

Just got back from vacation. We stayed at a resort where we crossed a (generally) not busy ONE way road to get to the beach. The road is clearly marked as being ONE way. Just before the resort, there are a pair of large speed bumps that slow down the traffic that does come along. Very safe situation. We were at the beach, crossing back over to the resort. We checked the traffic direction, and saw absolutely nothing. As we began crossing, along comes a jeep with a couple of (presumably) American tourists (this was in Mexico) from the WRONG direction, where there are no speed bumps to slow traffic. As they passed us, they gave US the middle finger for daring to slow them down on their wrong way trip down the road. SMH at the stupidity of some people. I was desperately hoping for some Mexican police to come along. Morons.

We were there this past February. First trip for our then-2 1/2-year-old.

We'd gotten to the front of the Jungle Cruise FP line. A CM started to direct us to a waiting boat, but then decided it was full and told us to step back. We tried, but the guy behind us wouldn't let us back in. He ignored us and the CM, gesturing at the next boat and loudly declaring how happy he was that he would be first so he could be right up front. The CM kept yelling at DH and me (holding our son) to step back, but we couldn't. He also wouldn't move to the side so we could squeeze in behind the yellow line. I finally just tried to step backward, but then I felt his arm across my back and he shoved me forward. Now the CM was literally screaming at me to step back and DH was trying to pull me in behind him, while I tried to point out that the jerk pushed me and wouldn't let me step back as I tried to squeeze back in.

Okay, so the next boat pulled up and the CM let us go on first - DH, then me still holding our toddler. As we got on, the skipper put her foot on the bench, indicating how far up she wanted us to sit. We sat down, and the shover got on right behind me. He sat down, then slid/shoved hard sideways, right into me; I almost dropped my son and I hit DH, who in turn hit the skipper's foot. Then the shover started yelling, "What's the problem? I'm not pushing! You want to make this into something?" I just ignored him, DH told him "We're all set, thanks," the skipper just stared at him...He proceeded to grumble and mutter about shoving and "people" ruining his trip, he was supposed to be first on the boat, etc. I turned my back on him as much as I could, but the ride was pretty much ruined for me. It was the last ride of our trip, too.

Once we were in line for ITTBAB. A man went flying past us. My family continued to a row together. His wife started yelling at us, because we apparently separated her family. :confused3 IMO, she should have been yelling at her DH for leaving the rest of them behind. I guess it was easier for her to blame us. :sad2: We left that row & separated into twos in different rows. In hindsight, we probably shouldn't have. It wasn't our fault that the man didn't care enough to wait on his family. I left thinking that woman probably had bigger problems than her DH not considering his family on a ride. I was just glad I wasn't in her situation.

Last edited:
I actually had a similiar situation as a PP happen at Jungle Cruise. We were about to be put on a boat, then told there wasn't enough room and to wait for the next. The guy behind us wouldn't let us back behind the line, then got angry when we were led on first and told to sit by the skipper. I too was holding a toddler and got pushed into the Skipper's foot. I wonder if that same guy likes to harrass people on that ride.

There was another man who tried to to step over top of the actual tray on my son's stroller, with his waist about 3 inches in front of DS's face. I was seeing red on that one.

I'd say the worst though was about 10 yrs ago. I'm a little slow with stairs due to a hip issue, but can manage if I hold the railing. While going alone up to Summit Plummet, a large group of adults decided to push past me from both sides, breaking my grip on the hand rail as I was stepping up on a stair. They shoved past, and I fell backwards down a couple steps to a landing. None of them even bothered to ask if I was okay.

I've encountered some wonderful people at Disney too though. A 9 yr old boy was also going up the stairs behind me, apparently saw me fall, and rushed up to ask if I was okay. A couple moments later, his dad caught up to us, helped me to stand, then offered to assist me whichever way I wanted to go. Since it was closer to the top of the stairs than the bottom, he helped me up the rest of the stairs, which I wouldn't have been able to do without assistance at that point. I was so grateful for their kindness and impressed that it was a kid who first rushed to help.

While there are definitely a lot of rude people, the moments when someone is kind definitely shine through and make a huge impact.

Ours was definitely the people at AKL who were WASTED and carrying on a very loud and very inappropriate conversation on their balcony. The people a few rooms down actually pulled their children back inside because of it. We were leaving but did stop at the desk and let them know what was going on. There was another family complaining too so we weren’t just being “prude”.

We'd gotten to the front of the Jungle Cruise FP line. A CM started to direct us to a waiting boat, but then decided it was full and told us to step back. We tried, but the guy behind us wouldn't let us back in. He ignored us and the CM, gesturing at the next boat and loudly declaring how happy he was that he would be first so he could be right up front. The CM kept yelling at DH and me (holding our son) to step back, but we couldn't. He also wouldn't move to the side so we could squeeze in behind the yellow line. I finally just tried to step backward, but then I felt his arm across my back and he shoved me forward. Now the CM was literally screaming at me to step back and DH was trying to pull me in behind him, while I tried to point out that the jerk pushed me and wouldn't let me step back as I tried to squeeze back in.

Okay, so the next boat pulled up and the CM let us go on first - DH, then me still holding our toddler. As we got on, the skipper put her foot on the bench, indicating how far up she wanted us to sit. We sat down, and the shover got on right behind me. He sat down, then slid/shoved hard sideways, right into me; I almost dropped my son and I hit DH, who in turn hit the skipper's foot. Then the shover started yelling, "What's the problem? I'm not pushing! You want to make this into something?" I just ignored him, DH told him "We're all set, thanks," the skipper just stared at him...He proceeded to grumble and mutter about shoving and "people" ruining his trip, he was supposed to be first on the boat, etc. I turned my back on him as much as I could, but the ride was pretty much ruined for me. It was the last ride of our trip, too.

WTH!! How upsetting! :(

The loud lady at the haunted mansion who happened to be in a scooter and screamed at us for cutting in line (we were in the Fast Pass lane). She then proceeded to run over our feet with her scooter and wouldn't stopping screaming to anyone who would giver her the time of day. She was wisked away by cast members once we got through the HM intro room.

I finally just tried to step backward, but then I felt his arm across my back and he shoved me forward. Now the CM was literally screaming at me to step back and DH was trying to pull me in behind him, while I tried to point out that the jerk pushed me and wouldn't let me step back as I tried to squeeze back in.

Okay, so the next boat pulled up and the CM let us go on first - DH, then me still holding our toddler. As we got on, the skipper put her foot on the bench, indicating how far up she wanted us to sit. We sat down, and the shover got on right behind me. He sat down, then slid/shoved hard sideways, right into me; I almost dropped my son...

I would actually scream at the top of my lungs "STOP ASSUALTING ME!"

Because that is what he was doing.

We have been fortunate over the years in that we have had very few issues. We have seen tons of rude, inconsiderate, and just plain stupid people but noy been effected too often.

I guess the only one that comes to mind was years ago when we did a Fantasmic Dinner Package and we were walking to the show through a special entrance where you had to show a ticket you had received at dinner. After we showed the ticket and starting walking down the path a lady and her family behind us walked fast past us sort of pushing us out of the way saying that her family had "special" tickets to the show apparently meaning they were suppose to be ahead of us. We said nothing and kept walking. When we all arrived at the seating area we wound up sitting a couple of rows in front of her and her family and for the rest of the evening we could feel her glaring at us because her tickets were no more "special" then ours.

We have seen the people pushing through ques to catch up with their family never find said family and then when they are close enough to the ride, just stop. I laugh at them but usually just wind up ignoring it because if they are that big a hurry then more power to them. For the most part we are there to enjoy our vacation and as long as your not yelling at me or running me over then more power to ya! You just become a part of the show.

I just got back from almost 2 weeks in London. It was my second trip in 5 months. I swear Londoners, and British people in general, are the most polite and civilized people in the world at least in public. I had no idea.

We had a bad experience at Disneyland Paris years ago but I've been back to Paris and DLP since and it seemed much improved.

In Paris a queue is only a suggestion.

I just got back from almost 2 weeks in London. It was my second trip in 5 months. I swear Londoners, and British people in general, are the most polite and civilized people in the world at least in public. I had no idea.

We had a bad experience at Disneyland Paris years ago but I've been back to Paris and DLP since and it seemed much improved.

In Paris a queue is only a suggestion.

This is reflected in our violent crime. All we have are drive-by arguments. :p

And you have to wonder what they think when they visit America.

Sort of along this same thing....

DH & our DD love anything space-related, so we ended up visiting the Kennedy Space Center in Florida twice within the time-frame of a year - once in September & then again the following June.

Both times, I noticed that there were a lot of foreigners there as well. In fact, I felt we were actually in the minority as Americans.

And, I have NO IDEA if this is co-related or not, but the Kennedy Space Center is so clean & well-kept. And, regarding the visitors, we never encountered any rude behavior. Everyone was mannerly & decent, & no one was running about wildly or pushing & shoving in any of the lines or in the cafeteria-type restaurant. No one was overly loud or boorish. Everyone waited their turn - there was no shoving to get off or on the tour buses.

Both times were just really pleasant visits.

NOTE: The above is just a random observation my part, & I don't know if the Kennedy Space Center is always like this or not.

(Funny Story - The first time we were there, one of the bus drivers asked DH from which country we were visiting. When DH laughed & told him that we were American,the bus driver responded, "Oh, y'all look European." I'm not sure what that says about us...)

I would actually scream at the top of my lungs "STOP ASSUALTING ME!"

Because that is what he was doing.

I would have not wanted to waste my time, but I would have seriously considered asking for security and filing charges.

We were just there this past weekend and was in line for Buzzlight year and we were waiting for 45mins and this
lady was on the phone loudly saying just walk thru the line to us. We'll she was looking at me as she was saying this and I looked at
her and said no they are not going to just walk up here after we all have been waiting 45mins. They never came. That is my pet peeve.
if it was a parent with a child that had to use the bathroom no problem.

And you have to wonder what they think when they visit America.

Actually, I have to admit, America is pretty cool for one reason above all others - PRIDE. From what I've seen in Americans, the country is full of patriotic, passionate individuals who just want what's best for their fellow man. They may disagree on political grounds, but at least they're not apathetic about it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter