Rumor about “modified experiences” when Disney reopens (read 1st post for potential modifications being considered)

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you tell a CM got it from work? They could have got it from the grocery store, a friend, a family member.

Not everyone gets symptoms with this virus. If a CM has a husband who's asymptomatic and she goes home and kisses him every night and sleeps next to him every night, she's going to catch it. And if she gets sick, she'll probably blame her job.

I also have a 7 year old, and I have no idea how she would respond. We won't know until we get there. Kids can be very unpredictable. It would really be no fun if she decided after half an hour in the park that she was not going to wear the mask. She might be fine, but she might decide that she is having none of it. I made her a couple of masks with the thinnest, sheerest material I could find, and she thought they were so cute. Wore them for about 45 seconds. Thought it was fun to take them on and off, on and off.

It would really be awful for people to pay the admission prices Disney charges and then have to leave after an hour or so because their kids won't wear the mask. Could we then expect a refund?

Of course, the talking point around here would be "Make your child or don't take your child. Easy peasy."

Really not so easy peasy at all.

Regardless of the union contract, something will change with the masks soon, I still believe. Disney has to be kid friendly. Masks are not kid-friendly. They aren't even adult-friendly.

I am sure there are plenty of childless adults who are happily dreaming of a kid-free park experience, but that would be so un-Disney.

I will be watching in June to see what happens with the mask situation at CityWalk and Disney Springs, and hopefully by mid-July (our third trip planned this summer- and probably the one we are most likely to take), they will have devised a more practical plan- more along the lines of what Germany and the airlines are doing.

I think that masks and kids are all about expectations. In our home when they said to start wearing masks, we pulled out the fabric and the kids and I spent a day picking out fabric and making masks. Cute and fun ones. They go everywhere with us, and the girls (not my son lol!) will rotate them to match their outfits! It has been NOT a big deal in our house, it was presented as "this is how we can help others." and they went with it. We have slowly built-up their tolerance to wearing it for longer periods of time and they are good. Probably better than me, and I am a nurse! HA! We live in the south, and it has been hot here too- not summer hot, but 90 degree hot and they roll with it. Even my asthmatic does fine. I asked if they would wear a mask at Disney and they all were like "well duh, of course!"

If they wanted to, could CMs theoretically strike over lack of enforcement?

Employees will have some form of recourse available to them if Disney doesn't hold up their end of the bargain, but it's impossible to know what it is without seeing the agreement. But since Disney did agree to mandatory masks for guests you can bet that they intend to enforce it. Will they catch everyone? Probably not, but they've definitely thought of all the ways that people are going to try to skirt those rules and will likely have plans in place to deal with them, just like they do for people who break any of the other rules they agree to when they enter the park.

The best thing that people who don't want to wear masks can hope for is that employees are so miserable that they go to their union reps and tell them that they'd rather take the risk of going mask-less to end the misery than have to keep wearing them. Maybe it'll happen quickly, maybe not. I'd be interested to see how long the agreement is good for - maybe the mask requirement automatically ends after a certain period of time without both parties having to renegotiate.

Employees will have some form of recourse available to them if Disney doesn't hold up their end of the bargain, but it's impossible to know what it is without seeing the agreement. But since Disney did agree to mandatory masks for guests you can bet that they intend to enforce it. Will they catch everyone? Probably not, but they've definitely thought of all the ways that people are going to try to skirt those rules and will likely have plans in place to deal with them, just like they do for people who break any of the other rules they agree to when they enter the park.

The best thing that people who don't want to wear masks can hope for is that employees are so miserable that they go to their union reps and tell them that they'd rather take the risk of going mask-less to end the misery than have to keep wearing them. Maybe it'll happen quickly, maybe not. I'd be interested to see how long the agreement is good for - maybe the mask requirement automatically ends after a certain period of time without both parties having to renegotiate.

Depends. If it's searing hot and sweaty guests are pulling their masks down and off... a few you may be able to go after. But if even 20% of the guests in the park aren't following the mask guidelines, what exactly will Disney do?

I know people who are essential workers. They are wearing masks all day because their employer requires it, and they tell me it's miserable. A few have red marks all over their face where the mask was rubbing. It's forming a rash. If you see kids forming rashes from the mask, and the parents don't want their kid wearing it anymore, what's the solution to that?

It's why I'm not going. Disney won't get a dime of my money until this policy is gone. And by looking at social media and Disney blogs, Im not alone.

Depends. If it's searing hot and sweaty guests are pulling their masks down and off... a few you may be able to go after. But if even 20% of the guests in the park aren't following the mask guidelines, what exactly will Disney do?

I know people who are essential workers. They are wearing masks all day because their employer requires it, and they tell me it's miserable. A few have red marks all over their face where the mask was rubbing. It's forming a rash. If you see kids forming rashes from the mask, and the parents don't want their kid wearing it anymore, what's the solution to that?

It's why I'm not going. Disney won't get a dime of my money until this policy is gone. And by looking at social media and Disney blogs, Im not alone.

Unpopular policies keeping crowds at bay are not necessarily a bad thing. Possible they don’t really care you or I don’t want to come and are happier that way.

Besides, the alternative to masks could always be staying closed until they feel the masks are no longer required, but maybe Disney stops the $$$ bleeding a bit by opening with safety measures in place.

We get it. You don’t like masks. If you’re not mature enough to follow a rule put in place for public safety reasons, maybe you should just avoid the parks until the pandemic is under control. Asking a ton of edge questions isn’t productive and isn’t going to change anyone’s mind. This is getting ridiculous

Probably whatever they do whenever guests are breaking other rules. I don't know - I haven't ever broken any of them. Maybe there will be a warning system - I'm sure Disney has a plan for it.

I don't know what the solution to that is - I'm not the one who agreed to it. Disney and the Union did and are likely aware that it will be uncomfortable, but those are the protective measures they both agreed upon in order for the cast to return to work and people are going to have to adhere to them if they want to go to the parks. I'm sure people will disobey and Disney knows this and yet they still agreed to it, so...complaining about it and pointing out the issues with it does nothing. They know the issues, and agreed to it anyway.

For every person who feels like you do there will be someone eagerly waiting and willing to wear a mask if that's what's required of them because they want to go to Disney.

I had these thoughts, too. Also, would the Union have grounds to take legal action against Disney for violating the terms by not enforcing the guests-wearing-masks mandate? Especially if they argue it's unsafe working conditions for their CMs? At the very least, could fines or penalties be levied? Legitimate questions - I'm not familiar with union operations or what they can/can't do.
You do realize that the only way Disney enforces mask policy is by making all CMs Mask Police right? Something tells me the Union did not get super gungho about details in the agreement assuring their members would be ordered to confront those unruly guests 🙄

Last edited:
You do realize that the only way Disney enforces mask policy is by making all CMs Mask Police right? Something tells me the Union did not get supper gungho about details in the agreement assuring their members would be ordered to confront those unruly guests 🙄

I am aware that CMs logistically can't become "mask police", and I do not want them to. CMs get enough crap from unruly guests on regular days, and I do not envy them at all for the inevitable flack they'll get due to the new policies being put in place. I didn't suggest or imply that CMs should be or have been ordered to confront guests. As far as we know, the union requirement may be satisfied simply by Disney offering masks at every turn and making appropriate efforts through signage, announcements, and fine print, as the union likely knows you just won't have 100% of guests wearing masks 100% of every second of every day.

I just wondered what rights and abilities the union has in their corner should they decide that Disney is going against an agreed-upon policy (any policy, masks or otherwise) and especially should they decide the policy violation creates unsafe working conditions for union CMs. That's all. Like I said, I'm not familiar with unions, having never had any experience with one myself.

My husband is an essential food service worker and his staff have been required to wear masks for about 6 weeks (they received 3 reusable masks same as WDW). Also, per LA County masks are required of all customers. He still has customers coming in without masks, and while they can politely ask for a mask, they don't really do in practice, and they certainly can't force anyone to comply. The staff, and his company itself, wants to limit confrontations with paying customers. Also, if masks were not required, most of the staff would not wear them. While the work indoors, they have to work over a hot open grill, and have to take extra breaks in the back because it is literally unbearable and they start choking from the smoke and heat.

And while everyone is all over that the unions are requiring masks, that doesn't mean the actual workers are happy to wear them and would choose not to wear them given the choice. The union boss' aren't working in the fields for the most part. Everyone wants to get back to work, and masks are a way to accomplish that quicker. Also want to throw it out there that we have none of the actual details about where and when masks will be required in the parks and resorts, the age limits for wearing, etc. People are assuming it will be at all times for everyone, and those that don't comply will be thrown in Disney jail by the newly created Mask Police position.

My husband is an essential food service worker and his staff have been required to wear masks for about 6 weeks (they received 3 reusable masks same as WDW). Also, per LA County masks are required of all customers. He still has customers coming in without masks, and while they can politely ask for a mask, they don't really do in practice, and they certainly can't force anyone to comply. The staff, and his company itself, wants to limit confrontations with paying customers. Also, if masks were not required, most of the staff would not wear them. While the work indoors, they have to work over a hot open grill, and have to take extra breaks in the back because it is literally unbearable and they start choking from the smoke and heat.

And while everyone is all over that the unions are requiring masks, that doesn't mean the actual workers are happy to wear them and would choose not to wear them given the choice. The union boss' aren't working in the fields for the most part. Everyone wants to get back to work, and masks are a way to accomplish that quicker. Also want to throw it out there that we have none of the actual details about where and when masks will be required in the parks and resorts, the age limits for wearing, etc. People are assuming it will be at all times for everyone, and those that don't comply will be thrown in Disney jail by the newly created Mask Police position.
I... kinda wanna go to Disney jail... 🤣

I was assuming "masks are mandatory" meant everywhere, but you are right: we don't know that yet. Has anyone seen the actual agreement?

With the wording of the "release," it could be that Disney is actually being reasonable and requiring them only where most experts seem to say they might be minimally effective: in enclosed areas where social distancing is not possible. That is doable. After looking at the release about the union and realizing that "mandatory" cannot possibly mean everywhere at all times, since people have to eat and drink in restaurants, swim in pools, etc., this could be a more reasonable plan than many have interpreted.

If masks are only mandatory for transportation, indoor queues and rides, and shops, this is possible. That way, if kids are required to wear them and become very uncomfortable and panicked from wearing them, the kids (and adults) can easily be removed to an area where they can take a break from the mask.

I might even consider just visiting a resort and taking my daughter to the pool and eating in various restaurants- if masks are only required in shops and in lobbies. But walking around AoA with a mask where no one is in sight, then having to sit in a mask as I sit in a lounge chair at the pool- that would be ridiculous.

If masks are only mandatory for transportation, indoor queues and rides, and shops, this is possible. That way, if kids are required to wear them and become very uncomfortable and panicked from wearing them, the kids (and adults) can easily be removed to an area where they can take a break from the mask.

Yeah, that seems to be the easiest way to control it. Have a cast member or security outside entrances and deny entry to people who won't put one on.

My guess is that we’ll potentially see a few persistent rule breakers politely asked to leave Disney’s private property after a equally polite warning or two. This is a public health emergency. If you think that wearing a mask in Florida will kill you, don’t come to Disney until they have a vaccine. Otherwise, you are potentially putting your “right” to a good time ahead of the health of every cast member on property, to say nothing of the health of the other guests. If you think that Disney is incapable of enforcing safety rules, I suggest you think about how often people are allowed to skip bag checks—that would be never, by the way. Disney cannot afford (because of the union, public perception, their bottom line, potential lawsuits, etc.) to be the center of an outbreak. I think they’ll be willing to alienate a small percentage of their customers to avoid bigger problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter