Rumor about Wave redo....

I like the idea of Steakhouse 71 and the nod to Disneyland - but this will give The Contemporary 3 very expensive dining options along with Cali Grill, Chef Mickey's. The Wave was a solid mid-priced option, that mostly just needed a room-rehab. What are the odds this is a head fake and the Fiesta Fun Center is coming back?

First time we ate at The Wave, we loved it - second time - we were very "Meh". I liked the concept though - local / sustainable etc. I do think the price range should remain, and I also don't think they need more beef on the monorail line. We love to hop out of MK and lunch on the monorail line when midday crowds peak. We love the Tea at GF (still not back), and Wave offered nutritious food and a nice atmospere as well. Really always wished that Ohana was a lunch option - just for the atmosphere if not the food.

I had that wave filet. It wasn't worth a penny over $25.

There is a substantial difference in the filet you get at the Wave for $34 vs the filet you get at California Grill for $55. Not all cuts of filet are equal and prepared the same way.

We liked it fine-mostly like parking next to MK along with it, but you will get your wish now at 2 places in CR. We prefer Shula's though.

Mostly just pointing out one thing that will change.

Last edited:
This will probably be unpopular, but I ate at the Wave at Christmas time with my adult children and it was meh at best. I was really disappointed. And the dining room itself was outdated. I had no plans on ever returning. I am VERY excited to hear of this rumored change. Steakhouse 55 was amazing last time I was in DL (admittedly 9ish years ago)! SOOO good. Could easily become the best restaurant on property if done right.

I'm with you; we ate at Wave 10 years ago and it was fine, but I'd never go back there. I've recently read/heard lots of people love it, which is fine, but I just don't understand what is to love about it. Certainly nothing to go out of the way to get, imho, but to each their own!

Curious to see how the new steakhouse compares to Cali grill, I had a great steak there!

We had dinner at the Wave last night and it was great. Our waiter said that he had no idea what they would replace it with but he hoped that they would keep the fan favorites like the bacon and eggs and the sweet potato pancakes in the morning. We're DVC owners at Bay Lake Tower, so the Wave has been one of our go-to restaurants for years. Pre-pandemic, the breakfast buffet was one of the best values on property.

I'm fine with them updating or refreshing the Wave, but it would be a shame if they put in another character meal or another signature restaurant when the Contemporary already has those categories covered. The Grand Floridian has multiple signature restaurants, but it also has the Grand Floridian Café to fill the casual table-service niche. They shouldn't leave the Contemporary without a restaurant in the same tier.

My experiences at The Wave have just been OK. I generally am down for new things, so bring on a new experience.

So sad about the Wave - was our favorite breakfast place - the buffet was relatively low key, but classy. Am sure, like other buffets, it will not return. All our favorite places (restaurants, venues, rides, street shows, etc.) have been discontinued, or changed beyond recognition, so we are getting farther and farther away from a return to Disney. They've squeezed the daily park admission hours so small so they can add other big ticket moneymakers into a normal day, all the while increasing ticket costs, that it is totally disgusting to us.

Have gone for 50 years and until the last 10 years was such a fun place to be, but a lot of the changes (cost cutting, or better money makers for them) have dimmed our enjoyment almost completely. The restaurants used to be such an adventure for us until they were dumbed down and totally mostly just meh now, even before Covid. So many other destinations we are beginning to enjoy more now. Great memories for us and our children will live on though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter