Rumor: Direct Minimum for DVC Purchase Increasing to 150 Points

On occasion, there have been a few items that required the blue card. But, not the every day stuff we see all the time.

Unfortunately, they don’t all know the rules. I did notice a new notice on the website about the need to show card and ID, I wonder if they have tried to impart the message of blue card for discounts and some have not understood.

I noticed that new notice too and then wasn't sure if it was always there before. I still don't have any regrets yet paying for a blue card but it sure would be nice if they start announcing these perks that they want us to show the card for. 😅

I noticed that new notice too and then wasn't sure if it was always there before. I still don't have any regrets yet paying for a blue card but it sure would be nice if they start announcing these perks that they want us to show the card for. 😅
Take it out of your wallet. Look at it. Run your thumb along the corner of it. Tilt it so the light reflects off of it a little bit. Feel like you really belong.

There's your perk!

(I know, I know, there are still perks and discounts. Still.)

The thing about the discounts is that they overlap the food and merch discounts offered with an AP. Now, not everyone has or needs an AP (I don’t as we have family who are Disney Cast Members and a large bi-coastal network of CM friends), but it’s my perception, at least, that a significant majority of direct purchasers who identify "perks" as a tangible benefit, list the ability to purchase AP's at a discount as the single most significant perk. Figuring out how to utilize those AP's to their maximum benefit is something of an artform on here . After the 11-month booking window, discounts on AP’s seems to be the biggest perceived benefit to Blue Card ownership.

If the majority of owners who list perks as important are buying discounted AP’s (or hope to when they return), then the separate discounts offered with the Blue Card are redundant (and moot). Certainly not for some (such as yourself), but for a significant portion of owners they are (redundant).
I don't understand what you are saying. It reads like you believe if an owner thinks the AP discount is the best reason to want a blue card, they then should not care about using the other (dining) discounts. Is that what you mean to say?

Those of us who recently acquired a Blue Card are very much hoping for some exclusive benefits soon over the white card.

I'm surprised they didn't let you know when you got it. If you bought direct, sine you have blue card. It takes about 10-30 days to come in the mail, but the membership card comes in a very exclusive color. It's only available to those with blue card.

Those of us who recently acquired a Blue Card are very much hoping for some exclusive benefits soon over the white card.
Yeah, I bought last October (100 pts direct when that was the limit, then 200 resale) and I'm really hoping to get a discounted AP, TotW lounge reopening, etc.

But I'm headed to the World in three days for the first time since January 2020, so I can't be too cranky right now!

Feel like you really belong.

There's your perk!
I know this is facetious, but IMO it's also a big part of what's behind the marketing message of "Membership," and it has been since the earliest days of DVC. Remember the "Best Kept Secret" that was so secret it was plastered on every single bus throughout the entire resort?

Maybe just me but I feel as much as a DVC member on a white card than someone on a Blue card. For me though the extra $$$ wasn’t worth the ‘perks’

The annual pass discount was the one perk that made me feel like I wanted the “blue card.” We will purchase two each year, so that cuts into the resale savings fast. Hopefully, it comes back and continues forward.

Honestly, everything else I could do without. However, the FOMO kills me. I’d hate for there to be something I wanted to do but it was for blue card only. You got me on that one, Disney!!! It’s TBD if that amazing perk I never considered materializes.

I'm surprised they didn't let you know when you got it. If you bought direct, sine you have blue card. It takes about 10-30 days to come in the mail, but the membership card comes in a very exclusive color. It's only available to those with blue card.
Can you explain this card in other colors? I bought direct in April. Exactly what does this other card provide?

I don't understand what you are saying. It reads like you believe if an owner thinks the AP discount is the best reason to want a blue card, they then should not care about using the other (dining) discounts. Is that what you mean to say?
No, my point was that if a Blue Card holder purchases an AP, then the separate food and merch discounts become moot. If you poll the vast majority of Blue Card holders, their primary motivator to obtain the Blue Card is to enjoy the ability to purchase AP's. When you take that into account, the separate food and merch discounts, for a large percentage of Blue Card holders, become duplicative and in turn not much of a perk.

Certainly, a number of owners, specifically those from out of state or those who visit once or less than once a year (every other or every third year), won't purchase the AP's and do benefit from separate food and merch discounts. But, even amongst those owners, a good number realize the benefit of holding a Chase Disney Visa and are already benefitting from some level of food and merch discount (albeit less than the Blue Card discount percentages, but it still dilutes the "DVC only" discount somewhat). And there's still a good number of out-of-state owners who know how to work the system, either by going multiple times per year or offsetting their annual trips to fall within the same AP year (early March of year one, and late February of year two for example, so they get two annual trips out of one annual pass) and those folks also buy the discounted AP's. One only has to look at the number of threads all over the interwebs asking when DVC members can finally buy AP's again (if they weren't part of the recovery program). I would venture it is the current primary question being asked by DVC members.

I guess what I'm saying is, there are so many ways to get a food or merch discount at Disney, that the benefit becomes sorta watered down at some point, that's all. The comment was in response to a general discussion of increases in direct and resale points, versus a perceived reduction in the value of direct purchase/Blue Card perks.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter