Rundisney is going to stop giving park tickets to vol!!

I know year my hubs volunteered it was because he wanted to not for free park ticket that he didn't even know about at time. I know local races to me give volunteers a code for a free race entry, I know Rundisney couldn't do that really.

I cannot believe they will give no benefits any more to volunteers.... we are going to have such trouble staffing stations now

We know what used to be offered, from volunteer park passes, to Magical Express, free fast passes

OK when was this time of free tickets and passes?

I volunteered for the marathon weekend in 2015 (when the emails came from wdw.sports.enthusiast at disneysports dot com).

I got a jacket and "points" towards a future free ticket. They then changed who ran it, and those points were gone.

So I suppose I know when this time period was; between after-January-2015 and now. Just like with everything disney-related, when they do something, it feels like they've done it forever, when it was just relatively a short time.

OK when was this time of free tickets and passes?

I volunteered for the marathon weekend in 2015 (when the emails came from wdw.sports.enthusiast at disneysports dot com).

I got a jacket and "points" towards a future free ticket. They then changed who ran it, and those points were gone.

So I suppose I know when this time period was; between after-January-2015 and now. Just like with everything disney-related, when they do something, it feels like they've done it forever, when it was just relatively a short time.
So you still received something... they are saying they are not doing anything. I know people have reported they already had trouble last year not have enough vol for marathon when they switched to half ticket. We already seeing that the sign up sheet for volunteers is staying open longer instead of filling up quickly.

Volunteering with no strings attached for a nonprofit to put on an event is different than volunteering for a huge corporation like Disney. RunDisney keeps making so many cuts. Merch quality is in the crapper, medal quality has declined and the snack boxes are a joke. Yet I continue to hand over money to them 😂

I volunteered mostly for the park tickets. I gave them away to people that otherwise would be unable to go. Many of the volunteers I worked with were on fixed income and worked multiple shifts to earn enough tickets for their family to go to a park once a year. I have had shifts cancelled on me (bagging shirts) and they still mailed me my tickets as a thank you.

I was saddened to learn that Disney was charging the charity for the volunteer tickets. There’s no reason Disney can’t comp those tickets except for greed. Don’t wanna put a dent in the bonus payouts for nonperforming management and execs, I guess 🙄

Hello,

Has anyone seen any updated info on signing up for volunteering, specifically for the upcoming Disneyland Half Marathon in Jan 2024? I know the system has changed, but even on the website the only links are for WDW races, under the Exhibitors/Volunteers Tab.

Hello,

Has anyone seen any updated info on signing up for volunteering, specifically for the upcoming Disneyland Half Marathon in Jan 2024? I know the system has changed, but even on the website the only links are for WDW races, under the Exhibitors/Volunteers Tab.
DL has different rules for race-workers as California does not allow them to use unpaid volunteers to run a for-profit event.

DL has different rules for race-workers as California does not allow them to use unpaid volunteers to run a for-profit event.
Oh, well that's interesting. So most likely they may not even offer volunteering and just have cast members. That's a shame if they go that route. I sent an email, because the WDW volunteer sign up is up now for Jan 3-7, I believe. The DL Marathon is happening Jan 11th - 14th so they may have a registration link up around next week.

I've volunteered in the past and it was enjoyable memory, the incentive of the free ticket was great, but also being a part of the volunteer team, the Disneyland hotel cookies and lunch provided was a plus as well.

Hello,

I reached out because I was interested in volunteering for the 5k. I’m going to be there already so thought why not? They're going to be using a staffing agency for all positions of race weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_1600.png
    IMG_1600.png
    106.6 KB · Views: 45
I reached out because I was interested in volunteering for the 5k. I’m going to be there already so thought why not? They're going to be using a staffing agency for all positions of race weekend.
Did you contact her and Has she responded?
I called Rundisney and they mentioned the same person to contact but she hasn't responded. Either she is receiving a lot of requests or she hasn't started the process yet.

So DH signed up to volunteer at a water table for the marathon. They had an entire pull down menu for choices for times and locations, almost too many options. So he got an update email last week with a different location assigned, earlier time, no biggie. Then today he gets another email assigning him to finish line food, until 2:30. We have reservations for lunch after I finish running.

Why even allow a specific time/location signup? You’re short on volunteers , don’t make it harder for the people willing to do so! Waiting on an email reply to see if he can go back to original assignment.

Banging my head against the wall!

So DH signed up to volunteer at a water table for the marathon. They had an entire pull down menu for choices for times and locations, almost too many options. So he got an update email last week with a different location assigned, earlier time, no biggie. Then today he gets another email assigning him to finish line food, until 2:30. We have reservations for lunch after I finish running.

Why even allow a specific time/location signup? You’re short on volunteers , don’t make it harder for the people willing to do so! Waiting on an email reply to see if he can go back to original assignment.

Banging my head against the wall!
Do the volunteer time until he needs to leave for lunch.
What are they going to do? Fire him?

Track shack is just a mess with volunteers. I signed up to volunteer for the Olympic trials and got selected. Was sent a follow up to list my availability for 5 specific areas and rank them in preference. I selected available for all shifts and assumed I would be assigned 1 of the 5 areas they offered me. Got an email last week telling me they are all set and don’t need me anymore 👎

Just got back from volunteering for all 4 races this weekend. What a disorganized mess! rD had CM’s in charge that had never worked those stations instead of the long time volunteers that HAD been in charge in previous races who knew how the stations should be set up and run. I personally watched head CM’s stand to the side and not help at water stops, untrained volunteers drop medals and then pick them back up and hand them out without having someone check them to make sure they were not damaged in any way. CM’s were also getting their pay as well as TWO park tickets per shift worked (on top of their main gate tickets) plus their choice of a race shirt. Even the medical volunteers were treated better than the regular volunteers.

I’ve already signed up to volunteer at Princess so I’ll give rD another chance to do better. If it’s run the same, it will be my last time volunteering for rD races. While I’ll miss being part of the excitement of race weekends and the true feeling of appreciation and respect I’ve always felt from the runners, I’ll not miss being made to feel like we’re the unwashed masses of rD.

Just got back from volunteering for all 4 races this weekend. What a disorganized mess! rD had CM’s in charge that had never worked those stations instead of the long time volunteers that HAD been in charge in previous races who knew how the stations should be set up and run. I personally watched head CM’s stand to the side and not help at water stops, untrained volunteers drop medals and then pick them back up and hand them out without having someone check them to make sure they were not damaged in any way. CM’s were also getting their pay as well as TWO park tickets per shift worked (on top of their main gate tickets) plus their choice of a race shirt. Even the medical volunteers were treated better than the regular volunteers.

I’ve already signed up to volunteer at Princess so I’ll give rD another chance to do better. If it’s run the same, it will be my last time volunteering for rD races. While I’ll miss being part of the excitement of race weekends and the true feeling of appreciation and respect I’ve always felt from the runners, I’ll not miss being made to feel like we’re the unwashed masses of rD.

What was the deal with the water stations where the volunteers seemed to all line up in the middle of the road instead of standing by the tables like they normally do? It was super weird, and I’ve never seen it before. It led to runners tossing their cups in the path where people behind them would have to run through.

What was the deal with the water stations where the volunteers seemed to all line up in the middle of the road instead of standing by the tables like they normally do? It was super weird, and I’ve never seen it before. It led to runners tossing their cups in the path where people behind them would have to run through.
If it's the one I'm thinking of, there was a 3-4" drop off from the roadway to what looked like an extra wide paved shoulder/curb area. If they had stayed by the tables that drop off would've been right in the running lane for the runners coming through the stop. It would've been a big ankle-breaking or at least spraining risk. What I saw was the volunteers getting water from the tables and bringing it to the point where runners weren't at risk of tripping/falling when grabbing it.

Unfortunately I can’t answer your question as I was working challenge medals yesterday. It sounds like @camaker probably has the best explanation and or reason for why they were doing what they did.

Just checking in for anyone who's volunteering (working) for the DLR Half this weekend? Have they officially confirmed assignments? The company is Elevate Staffing.

This is horrible! For what it's worth, I want to thank you for volunteering. I make a point at the water stops to shout "Let's hear it for the volunteers!" No wonder I'm usually hoarse by the end of the race. But, definitely worth it to show our appreciation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter