Running for my Disney - Finally a TR!

Enjoy your catch-up with WanderlustNZ which might be tomorrow? or Friday. Hope you manage to slip away from work Zanzibar. Have fun anyway. As I sit here melting tonight I can emphasise with getting hot at DL! One day we really must have some decent time there instead of the flying visits. Our first visit back in 1984 was around a week but we interspersed it with trips around LA too.

The catch-up was great! Wanderlust has all the pictures on her camera so we'll have to wait for her to post. :thumbsup2

Enjoy your catch-up with WanderlustNZ which might be tomorrow? or Friday. Hope you manage to slip away from work Zanzibar. Have fun anyway. As I sit here melting tonight I can emphasise with getting hot at DL! One day we really must have some decent time there instead of the flying visits. Our first visit back in 1984 was around a week but we interspersed it with trips around LA too.

The catch-up was great! Wanderlust has all the pictures on her camera so we'll have to wait for her to post. :thumbsup2

Yep, was great to meet Wanderlust and her DH :thumbsup2

It was fantastic. It was so wonderful to meet Zanzibar and see PIO again, and it was also wonderful to see Melbourne. I can see why so many kiwis consider it to be their favourite Aussie city. Of course, having a great guide helped. :)

It's just got home yesterday avo and I haven't yet sorted the pics yet, but once I do, I'll put a couple up.

By the way, I see Dirty Dancing (one of my favourite movies) is on stage in Melbourne in March alongside the Lion King. I would LOVE to do a long weekend in Melbourne to go see both. Anyone interested in a weekend of musicals in early March?

DD and I want to see Strictly Ballroom when it moves to Melb from Sydney. I have seen Dirty Dancing in Brisbane. It was awesome! I won't be getting down there there til later in the year though.

Disneyland

Boy, have I been slack with this TR lately! Time to get this show back on the road - I've only got a few days left.

Today was my birthday, and the day we were doing the Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour. The tour was in the afternoon, and we spent the morning hanging out at the hotel, swimming and generally having a leisurely time.

Eventually it was time to go, so I put on my Marie Disneybound outfit, and we all headed out into the hot, hot sun.

We arrived at DL just in time for the tour really. As we entered, we were distracted by the Firehouse Band show.

Then we made our way to the shaded waiting area for the tour. While we were waiting, we were given our headsets and ordered our meals.

After a short while, it was time for the tour to start. With the heat, we were all handed water bottles, and reminded to keep up our hydration and seek shade whenever we could. Our guide, Esteban, introduced himself, and we set off towards Main Street.

Our first stop was the firehouse and Esteban talked about Walt's Apartment.

We wandered down Main Street and through the castle. Esteban pointed out some interesting things along the way.

We waited by the carousel for a few minutes while Esteban organised our ride on Peter Pan's Flight. We got to go in the exit, and they alternated one of our group with one of the groups waiting until we'd all been through. This was a fantastic perk, as the lines for this were huge the whole time.

After Peter Pan, we headed past BTMR to New Orleans Square. Esteban pointed out a few things along the way, including the petrified tree and the story behind it.

To be continued

Disneyland

Once in New Orleans Square, we were herded towards POTC, not to ride the ride, but to get our tour of the Dream Suite upstairs!

There was strictly no photography once inside, but towards the end of the tour we all gave the guides (Esteban had some help with the Dream Suite section of the tour) our cameras and they took a photo of us in the living area.

The Dream Suite was quite incredible. I loved both the bedrooms - Adventureland and Frontierland themed, with amazing bathrooms. The living area was beautiful too. That was all we were allowed to see of it. Esteban got some volunteers to switch on the 'goodnight kiss' features in the bedrooms and showed us the different effects that happen in the lounge room when the clock strikes the hour. It really was the stuff that dreams are made of.

We had a really decent amount of time in the Dream Suite, but of course it was over all too quickly, and we made our way down the stairs back into New Orleans Square.

Esteban started telling us a story, but then stopped to rush us off to meet our train. He finished the story on the train as we headed from New Orleans Square station to Tomorrowland station.

In Tomorrowland, we were given a brief bathroom break before walking back up Main Street to Great Moments with Mr Lincoln. Esteban gave us a bit of the back story behind this attraction, which made it slightly more interesting. However, having already seen it once, it didn't hold my interest for long. I took the opportunity to enjoy sitting down in the nice cool air-conditioned theatre.

As we exited the theatre, who should we run into but the main mouse himself! This was pure coincidence and not part of the tour. Esteban allowed us all to take some quick photos with Mickey before finishing off the tour.

This is the part of the tour where people talk about getting choked up. Well, we stood no chance, because Esteban got choked up himself just talking about it! By the end, the whole group was bleary eyed and sniffly lol! We walked back down Main Street to the Jolly Holiday bakery in contemplative silence.

At the bakery, our lunches and pins were waiting for us.

While we sat eating, Esteban came around to our tables and answered any questions we had. Imagine my surprise when my dad, part of our 'never wear our emotions on our sleeve' family, started to choke up again when he tried to tell Esteban about going to DLP for the first time! I had to finish the story for him. To that day, I had no idea that Dad had even been impressed when we first entered DLP lol!

When we were done eating and asking questions, we all said our goodbyes and ventured off to enjoy the rest of the evening. We decided to get some family photos in front of the castle on our way over to DCA.

To be continued

What a great tour! Looks like you got a great tour guide in Esteban.

And I love your Marie outfit. :thumbsup2

How amazing to find out that your dad got all choked up over DLP. Isn't it amazing what you find out when you never even realised that was the way he felt then? It takes a stranger to get that much information out of him.

(My dad is the same way!)

Looks like you all really enjoyed the tour. In 2010 we did it in the AM and we were able to be inside the park when the rope dropped and got a very different perspective of the park, seeing the people coming in after the rope drops.

Your photos all look great!

Great pics and rundown of the tour. I know you contemplated for quite a long time over whether to do it, so I'm so pleased you enjoyed it.

It seems that tours is something that Disneyland do extremely well. The Discover the Magic Tour was the highlight of our time in Disneyland and worth every cent.

What a great tour! Looks like you got a great tour guide in Esteban.

And I love your Marie outfit. :thumbsup2

How amazing to find out that your dad got all choked up over DLP. Isn't it amazing what you find out when you never even realised that was the way he felt then? It takes a stranger to get that much information out of him.

(My dad is the same way!)

Yeah Esteban was pretty good. We could tell he was genuinely passionate about his subject :thumbsup2

Looks like you all really enjoyed the tour. In 2010 we did it in the AM and we were able to be inside the park when the rope dropped and got a very different perspective of the park, seeing the people coming in after the rope drops.

Your photos all look great!

Given the weather, we probably would have been better off doing the morning tour. I had booked the afternoon one thinking that it would be a good way of avoiding the Sunday afternoon crowds.

Great pics and rundown of the tour. I know you contemplated for quite a long time over whether to do it, so I'm so pleased you enjoyed it.

It seems that tours is something that Disneyland do extremely well. The Discover the Magic Tour was the highlight of our time in Disneyland and worth every cent.

I'm a little sad that we didn't do the F! dessert package since it has now been discontinued and we'll never get to do it. But the tour was definitely worthwhile.

California Adventure

As we were heading across to DCA, we just happened to catch the Soundsational parade again. We figured it would probably be our last opportunity to see it, so we stood and watched.

I had unfinished business at DCA, being the Mad T Party. It was still light though, so we headed to Carsland first to catch the lighting ceremony and get a few photos on Route 66.

Once it was suitably dark, we headed over to the Mad T Party area.

Although it wasn't really Mum's cup of tea (pun intended), she did enjoy the lighting effects and glowing cocktails.

The Mad T Party has now been discontinued (to make way for Frozen fun :crazy2:), so I'm glad I dragged my parents along, even if it was only for half an hour.

We checked out a few of the shops on the way out, and I found some fluffy Maries to pose with.

And so finished our last night at DLR!

Love the Marie outfit and so sweet about your Dad - I never realised for many years my DH liked Disney as much as he did though having done several parks in the last few years he is almost over it! I also only recently learnt my Mum and Dad went to Disneyland on one of their first trips back to the UK after emigrating. (I wasn't with them). They rode a couple of things that were not what they expected - poor things - and probably missed the nice dark children's rides they would have enjoyed - lol! I think doing a tour is on the definite list for the next Disney visit. I keep reading how great they all are.

Great last night. Glad you caught the Mad T Party. It looks fun!

It was fun :goodvibes Just sad I didn't get to experience it with someone who also thought it was fun :rotfl:

Love the Marie outfit and so sweet about your Dad - I never realised for many years my DH liked Disney as much as he did though having done several parks in the last few years he is almost over it! I also only recently learnt my Mum and Dad went to Disneyland on one of their first trips back to the UK after emigrating. (I wasn't with them). They rode a couple of things that were not what they expected - poor things - and probably missed the nice dark children's rides they would have enjoyed - lol! I think doing a tour is on the definite list for the next Disney visit. I keep reading how great they all are.

Wow! So interesting the stuff we keep learning about people so close to us!

California Adventure

Today was the last day at DLR for all 3 of us. Mum and Dad were heading off to the airport for an afternoon flight to the Bay Area for the next part of their trip, and I had a full day to say goodbye before an early morning flight the next day.

We had a leisurely start to the day, finalised the packing of the bags, checked out of the hotel, and strolled to Downtown Disney for the last time. We started with beverages and snacks at Starbucks, before hitting World of Disney in search of a backpack (it looked like I was going to need a larger cabin bag for all the stuff that wouldn't fit in my suitcase!).

We headed into DCA next. I had some last minute shopping to do, and Dad and I had still not ridden TOT! We took some last minute family photos on the way through.

TOT was terrifying as always! It's the one ride where my screams are not for fun!

After TOT I needed to sit down for a bit, so we stopped in at Flo's for lunch. Wow those ribs are good.

While we were in the area, Dad and I decided to ride RSR one more time. It was the shortest wait we'd had the whole trip. Using the single rider line, we practically walked straight on.

Then it was time for them to go. I was planning to stay at DCA for a while, so we said our goodbyes at the exit, after reassuring Mum that I would be ok on my own, and promising to check in on facebook whenever I could lol!

Once they'd left, I decided I would seek out a couple of characters. My characters of choice were Dug and Chip N Dale. The CM at the information desk told me that Dug would be appearing at the Redwood Creek Trail area between 3:45-4pm, and Chip N Dale would be on Buena Vista Street between 4-4:15pm.

I headed off to the Redwood Creek Trail. I love this area anyway, so I enjoyed wandering through it while I was waiting for Dug.

When Dug finally arrived, a rude group pushed in front of me. It worked out for the best since no one was behind me and I could take my time with Dug, but I was just about bursting with excitement in the meantime!

I cannot even put into words how much I love Dug! He's just the cutest character ever!

Eventually I decided I should carry on, otherwise I would miss Chip N Dale. I popped into Taste Pilot's on the way through to grab a cold drink.

I got to Buena Vista Street just before 4pm, and Mickey had just joined Chip N Dale for photos. There was quite a long line, and I thought that Mickey must be swapping out with Chip N Dale, so I'd just wait for them to come back out.

But they weren't leaving. Then the CM closed the line. I asked her what was going on and she said that all the characters were about to leave, and that Mickey would be back out later, but not Chip N Dale. I was a bit sad, because I missed the opportunity to have photos with not only both Chip N Dale, but Mickey as well!

And on that sad note, I left DCA for the last time, to go and say goodbye to DL.

To be continued

Love the pics with Dug. I have regretted not queuing for a Dug and Russel pic at AK-I know time was getting on and we had a dinner date ...but 10 more mins wouldn't have made a difference!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter