S/O of What household chore do dread the most? thread. Do you have a cleaning person?

Do you have a house cleaner and why do or don't you?

• Total voters
Since I just finished doing it, I have to say what I dislike most is folding fitted sheets! (Queen size to be exact)

I do it myself right now, but had someone for several years. Started when DH and I were both working full time and I was in graduate school. I continued for few months after DD#1 was born even though I stopped working to stay home with her. After DD #2 came along I started up again—maybe as long as a year. Pretty sure I didn’t use the service after DD#3. I think DH was traveling less by then so it was more manageable. Kids are mostly grown now and I have only ever worked part time since youngest went to school so I do it myself.

Don't have one, never did. Strangers in the house? It would have to be someone highly recommended. Have heard stories.......(obviously things happen/and not all bad).

Some day in the future - maybe - a few times a year/every other month for hard to clean/get to places. Windows/tubs/cabinets/floors/etc. I am sure the day will come when I physically can't do certain things.

When the kids (3/two boys/one girl) were small/home - I would have needed a cleaning lady every day. There was no way I was waiting once a week to do laundry or clean bathrooms. Laundry was almost daily. Weekend more loads with sheets. Bathrooms? Constantly touching them up. Company? Kids/grandchildren over? I do a quick clean before they come and I can't go to bed until floors are swept, vacuumed and mopped. Windex certain spots, a quick wiping in the bathroom and trash out. I like to start my morning fresh and clean.

We don’t have a house cleaner. That’s pretty much up to me to do. Once in a great while my husband will pitch in and do something but it’s mostly my responsibility.

I do not have a house cleaner but I probably should.

I am struggling with mobility and stamina issues and a huge dirty house. I find the bathrooms to be my biggest challenge right now.

My main reasons for not having a house cleaner are:

1. embarrassed to have them over for the first time to discover how dirty my house is

2. paranoia about having strangers in my house around my valuables

3. inherit cheapness - which I have to get over because we have enough money so why not spend it on something that would make my life better.

We did have Merry Maids a long long time ago when our house was on the market and needed to be clean. They require you have everything off the floor, no dishes out and nothing loose on the counter (everything had to be in baskets or on trays). while I did love how clean my house was, I nearly broke my back tidying and preparing for their arrival each time.

No housekeeper. Before we lived with DD/SIL, we kind-of split things. DH vacuums and cleans the bathrooms almost every week. I do all the grocery shopping and cooking, and he does the dishes/cleans the kitchen most nights. I do all the bill paying/money management, and most of the shopping that isn't groceries. I collect indoor trash, he takes it out to the barrels and puts it at the curb. He shovels the snow, but I do the porch, steps, and paths. He does the mowing and raking, and we split doing the gardens. I keep after the stuff in the house (putting stuff away- we are awful about stacking stuff on the peninsula- dusting, mopping the hardwoods, etc.) We each do our own laundry. Now that DD/SIL live with us, the grocery shopping/cooking/kitchen cleaning is shared more. If they cook, we clean, and vice versa. They also take care of their own bedrooms, laundry, bathroom, and living room.

I don't right now because I'm home (though I'm still not good at it :rotfl: ).

We did briefly several years ago. DH got me a "spring cleaning" package or something similar for Mother's Day, and we liked it so much that we kept it up for a few weeks when I was working every day (long-term sub assignment).

But I was always concerned that the cats would sneak out on someone who wasn't familiar with us (as it was a chain service and not always the same people) plus I didn't "need" it once summer came and school was out.

If I won the lottery, though, I think I would hire someone.

I’ve had a cleaning service practically every week for close to 9 years now. They don’t come when we’re away for vacations, so 2 or 3 weeks a year are skipped. Currently $120 per week.

From April to September 2020 I canceled the service due to covid.

They don’t do laundry. Occasionally I’ll pay for something extra out of out the normal routine.

We have a lawn/yard service too. They also plow the driveway when it snows more than a few inches. Only once so far this winter.

No house cleaner for me - I’m way too cheap to pay for that when I can do it myself. I’m not opposed to having one in the future though if I’m ever physically unable to do it.
That is basically us. We're paying ourselves to clean, and the money we save can go to a couple nice dinners out.

We have a lawn/yard service too. They also plow the driveway when it snows more than a few inches. Only once so far this winter.
I don't have lawn/yard service and never have. But no snow here. But lawn/yard service is much more common that a house cleaner on my street. We are the kind of people who looked forward to having more time to work in the yard when we retired. And we also take care of our daughter's yard too. But since she is here, only 6 miles away, and our son is 400 miles away, that is a two way street. She helps us with stuff, and probably will be the one who picks our nursing home if that becomes necessary. We hope that helping her out now will motivate her to find us the best nursing home there is when and if we need one.

We don't have a housecleaner and never have. I guess I'm a special case because my aunt worked as a housecleaner for many years and has a whole list of how to clean. Plus, she enjoys it and thinks we do too. So we do the cleaning the way she directs.

Me personally I *loathe* doing the laundry. I don't know why, I just hate it.

And we also take care of our daughter's yard too. But since she is here, only 6 miles away, and our son is 400 miles away, that is a two way street. She helps us with stuff, and probably will be the one who picks our nursing home if that becomes necessary. We hope that helping her out now will motivate her to find us the best nursing home there is when and if we need one.

Good trade off! :thumbsup2 Our kids are both within 20 minutes of us. I’ve joked with my daughter about her having to care for us when we’re old. I expected she’d say our son can do it. Instead she said said our DIL really likes us, so maybe she’ll do it. DIL answered… yes, I’ll be happy to find you a very nice nursing home. :rotfl2:

As for the OP’s question.. never any housecleaning service. I grew up with 5 siblings. We had to do chores that entailed pretty much any cleaning you could possibly do in a house. My kids had to help around the house, but never had specific designated chores. I felt it was good for them to learn those skills & contribute to the household. I have always done the majority of the cleaning because my husband worked many more hours than I did. It’s been just the 2 of us for about 15 years, so it’s not that hard to stay on top of things. Now that we’re both retired, if I start cleaning anything, husband always asks what I need him to do. I can’t see paying anyone at this point. And if it happens we’re no longer able to take care of the house & ourselves, we’ll need the money we didn’t spend on house cleaners so DIL can get us that nice nursing home. :lmao:

Last edited:
No house cleaner here. We could use one, can afford it, but we just don't.

We have a housecleaner. She comes every other week. I pay her $80/visit. She does the usual cleaning (dust, vacuum, mop, bathrooms), changes the sheets on the bed and starts them in the wash, and any other small things I leave her. I hate cleaning and so she is worth every penny.

Yes - I do "pre-clean" before she comes. Her job is to clean, not pick up - so I make sure everything is picked up and neat so she can clean.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter