Safeway or Foodland?

jimmytammy

<font color=purple>Swivel, it's a hard habit to br
Hey
We will be at Aulani in mid Sept and wondering of these 2 places to stop OTW from airport to pick up a few things, which would you do and why?

Safeway if you have a Safeway card. Cheaper than Foodland and the sale prices are the same as the mainland. Foodland has a reward card too and you can sign up online at foodland.com.

Neither. For me it's Costco and Target :) Costco prices are comparable to what you find on the mainland, so the bulk of my purchases come from there. Target is across the street, so we pop over there for things like red Solo cups, and things we want a smaller quantity of. Prices are decent.

@Soccerluvinmama are you able to comment on prices for things like sunscreen at Target or Walmart? Trying to debate buying once there or hauling from home @$25 per bag in luggage fees!

Neither. For me it's Costco and Target :) Costco prices are comparable to what you find on the mainland, so the bulk of my purchases come from there. Target is across the street, so we pop over there for things like red Solo cups, and things we want a smaller quantity of. Prices are decent.

@Soccerluvinmama are you able to comment on prices for things like sunscreen at Target or Walmart? Trying to debate buying once there or hauling from home @$25 per bag in luggage fees!

I found the prices at Target to be the same, if not cheaper than they are in Buffalo. I am in the Toronto area but we go across the border once in a while and I found the prices great at Target in Hawaii, especially for grocery items that were on sale. If you check out the weekly flyer for the area (Kapolei) you can get an idea of pricing.

http://weeklyad.target.com/promotions?code=Target-160410&page=22

I do like Safeway for their baked goods though, and they have an awesome liquor aisle at the Kapolei store (again something we dont have in Canada so it is fun and convenient for me to be able to buy it at a grocery store)

The Walmart in Kapolei is ok too but just not as compact and clean as Target and the prices are about the same for sunscreen

Safeway for variety or Costco. Really don't think Target has a good selection. Get a Safeway card. We save $30 or so on each trip to the store for our family of 4.

I found the prices at Target to be the same, if not cheaper than they are in Buffalo. I am in the Toronto area but we go across the border once in a while and I found the prices great at Target in Hawaii, especially for grocery items that were on sale. If you check out the weekly flyer for the area (Kapolei) you can get an idea of pricing.

http://weeklyad.target.com/promotions?code=Target-160410&page=22

I do like Safeway for their baked goods though, and they have an awesome liquor aisle at the Kapolei store (again something we dont have in Canada so it is fun and convenient for me to be able to buy it at a grocery store)

The Walmart in Kapolei is ok too but just not as compact and clean as Target and the prices are about the same for sunscreen

I totally agree, prices are comparable (I'm in Seattle). One thing you can do is go to the web site for Safeway, Target, and Walmart view the weekly ad for Kapolei (go to weekly ad then "change my store") to get an idea what prices are like. I tend to buy my shampoo and sun screen from Target for the same reasons, don't want to pack it in the bags. What I like about Target is that it's right across the street from Costco, which is always my first stop. The alcohol section at the Kapolei Costco seems so much bigger than what we have here! If nothing else they have a lot more pre-mixed drink stuff, like Mai Tai's.

@Soccerluvinmama thats great info and too funny...we are in Canada too and live in Burlington Ontario! We go across all the time to Niagara Falls and love Target! I'm glad to know prices are similar. I don't want to haul tons of sunscreen!
We leave next Friday and are so excited!

I totally agree, prices are comparable (I'm in Seattle). One thing you can do is go to the web site for Safeway, Target, and Walmart view the weekly ad for Kapolei (go to weekly ad then "change my store") to get an idea what prices are like. I tend to buy my shampoo and sun screen from Target for the same reasons, don't want to pack it in the bags. What I like about Target is that it's right across the street from Costco, which is always my first stop. The alcohol section at the Kapolei Costco seems so much bigger than what we have here! If nothing else they have a lot more pre-mixed drink stuff, like Mai Tai's.

I saw on Safeway's website that they offer grocery delivery services. There is a delivery fee but it is not much at all. Might be something to look into.

Well, being that I'm from Hawaii, I am partial to Foodland, since it is a local, family owned company. I shop there almost every weekend, for our week's groceries. However, I totally understand if you're looking for lower costs and variety, which will make other options more attractive.

We are on Kauai now at the Westin and they gave us a discount card to use at the local Foodland. I will say that the prices are similar to Safeway and their weekly specials are good. Nice variety, too.

i posted this safeway receipt from april 10, 2016 in my trip report, but here it is for those who wish to compare prices:

IMG_5292.JPG

unfortunately i don't have one from foodland.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter