San Diego zoo, USS midway, etc

erin1715

DIS Veteran
My husband and I (no kids) plan to spend a few days in San Diego before heading to Disneyland. We fly into SNA on Thursday 7/14 and will land around 10am, and will drive to our hotel in San Diego. We will spend 7/14, 7/15, and 7/16 in San Diego and then plan to leave Sunday morning 7/17 to visit Shadow Mountain Church near San Diego, and then drive to Disneyland after church.

Here are things we definitely want to do in San Diego:
Tour USS Midway
San Diego Zoo
Whale Watch tour (would love recommendations for who to use)

We would also like to visit Hotel Del and the local beaches but we aren't beach people so we don't plan on spending the entire day at a beach, but it would be nice to see the sea lions.

Since we're there Thurs, Fri, Sat, what days would you recommend we do all those things? I was thinking on our arrival day we would try to tour the USS Midway Thursday afternoon. Then maybe the zoo on friday and whale watch tour saturday, with some beaches thrown in on any time we have throughout those days? What does everyone think about that?

Whale Watching season is Mid-December to April - this is when they migrate. You might possibly see a whale if you go out on a boat, but it'll be nothing like the pods going by the coast in the season where you can watch them from the beach and count dozens. Still, a day on a boat here is nice. Just temper your expectations if you go.

Midway is great - and close to the airport so I'd even stop by before checking into your hotel if you're up for it.

Friday is better than Saturday for going to the zoo. Weekends bring crowds (it's still crowded though).

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter