• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

San Francisco areas

michelle1

DIS Veteran
My DH, myself and 2 kids (10, 12) will be in SF in July but I am unsure of what area to book a hotel in. The city seems to be sectioned into districts so I want to be somewhere we can walk to restaurants, sightseeing etc and is nice for families with kids.

Union Square. Lots of shops and restaurants within walking distance. The trolley is right there (on Powell Street) as well that takes you to Chinatown, Japantown and Fisherman's Wharf. Look into the multi-day pass. It is a bit cheaper than several 1 day passes.

I'd vote Fisherman's Wharf if you're with your kids, and Union Square if you're without.

We're planning a July trip to San Francisco too, and since it will be our first trip there, I did a lot of research on TripAdvisor to find a hotel. We ended up deciding on the Marriott at Fisherman's Wharf. It had very good reviews, and is supposedly within walking distance of Ghiradelli Square, Chinatown, the trolley, and all the shops and restaurants on the wharf. We got a military rate of $152/night, which I thought was pretty decent for peak season. If you're driving, beware of parking fees when you're looking though. Most hotels I looked at were around $35-$40 per night for parking. :earseek:

We're planning a July trip to San Francisco too, and since it will be our first trip there, I did a lot of research on TripAdvisor to find a hotel. We ended up deciding on the Marriott at Fisherman's Wharf. It had very good reviews, and is supposedly within walking distance of Ghiradelli Square, Chinatown, the trolley, and all the shops and restaurants on the wharf. We got a military rate of $152/night, which I thought was pretty decent for peak season. If you're driving, beware of parking fees when you're looking though. Most hotels I looked at were around $35-$40 per night for parking. :earseek:

We stayed at the Marriot Fisherman's Wharf Dec 06. It was a fantastic location. We walked almost everywhere! We did the trolley to Chinatown though- that one would be a really long walk. Of course we had to take the trolley to Union Square. The public transportation in San Francisco is great.

My DH, DD, and myself will be in SF in July also. We are staying at the Holiday Inn at Fisherman's Wharf. We got it on Priceline for $70.00 per night. Anyone stay at this hotel before. We have heard good and bad.

My DH, DD, and myself will be in SF in July also. We are staying at the Holiday Inn at Fisherman's Wharf. We got it on Priceline for $70.00 per night. Anyone stay at this hotel before. We have heard good and bad.

I just booked through Hotwire and got Holiday Inn for $69/night in July also. I have also read good and bad reviews but I figure for the price (even with the outrageous parking fees!) it's a pretty good deal for San Francisco since it's hard to find anything decent under $180. The Holiday Inn Express seems to get better reviews but the Holiday Inn actually has a pool which my kids will like.

Hey! Ok so i live in the SF Bay Area. And well Fisherman's Wharf is the "tourist" district. So that would have all the special local stuff. While Union Square is more of an "fancy" neighborhood. That is where city hall, the symphony, and the museums and all that other stuff is located (the general area anyway). Fisherman's Wharf is on the Bay, and would probably have better views of the water and all the bridges. But i would suggest Fisherman's Wharf for you in this case. That would also give for closer access to some of the other attractions the city has to offer. If you have any questions about anything regarding the bay area please post back!

Thanks everyone...it looks like Fisherman's Wharf would suit us the best. San Francisco looks beautiful...I can't wait until July!!

I will just throw this out here, since I guess many people don't know this (as I see tourists all the time freezing their butts off, esp. near the wharf)... but July in San Francisco is pretty darn cold! So just be sure to check the weather! July is a cold and foggy month for us. Our temps usually are in the 60's year round... so no tank tops and shorts here! We occasionally get some "hot" days (like high 70's), but usually it's warmer in Sept/Oct. So please bring appropraite clothing or you'll freeze... especially if you plan to take a boat to Alcatraz or something. :)

Enjoy! But bring a jacket! :)

Kim

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter