San Francisco hotels

disny_luvr

DIS Veteran
I currently have two hotels booked in Fisherman's Wharf and I'm having trouble deciding which one to cancel. We are booked at the Argonaut and the Kimpton Alton. Price is pretty much the same for two nights (within $5). The Argonaut gets better reviews, but I think the Alton looks newer and nicer. Has anyone stayed at either of these hotels that can offer any advice?

I have never stayed at the Argonaut, but we have been to their restaurant (The Blue Mermaid) many times. The restaurant is a bit pricey, but we love the food and the atmosphere. The hotel lobby is nice and has a nautical theme. It's well-located, a short walk to Ghirardelli Square and several blocks down from Pier 30. Hope this helps!

I have never stayed at the Argonaut, but we have been to their restaurant (The Blue Mermaid) many times. The restaurant is a bit pricey, but we love the food and the atmosphere. The hotel lobby is nice and has a nautical theme. It's well-located, a short walk to Ghirardelli Square and several blocks down from Pier 30. Hope this helps!
Thank you! I'm glad to hear it is in a good location. Is the area pretty safe?

The area has changed over the years. We stated at Argonaut 15+ years ago and it was a nice hotel in a great location. I haven't been back recently. Recent Yelp reviews seem to warn about price gouging.

We stayed one night at the Argonaut over the summer and loved it! We used the valet and had great service with our luggage. We walked down to the Boudin Bakery for dinner overlooking the Wharf and had a great meal! The next morning we walked to the trolley car station, super easy to find.

The interior reminded me of a cruise ship. Dark and nautical. I loved it.

Attachments

• SF.jpg
    SF.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 9
  • room2.jpg
    room2.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 8
  • room.jpg
    room.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 9
  • SF2.jpg
    SF2.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 9
Thank you! I'm glad to hear it is in a good location. Is the area pretty safe?

The area is pretty safe. There might be the occasional panhandler, but that part of San Francisco is extremely touristy (really close to the Hyde Street cable car turnaround) and it's fine. Most of San Francisco is rather boring residential areas. It's the downtown and civic center areas plus "south of Market" that have most of the issues (like people sleeping on the sidewalk), along with lower income areas like Bayview-Hunters Point. A tourist would have no reason to visit Bayview.

As far as I can tell, in Fishermans Wharf the businesses make sure to shoo away people who might be sleeping on the street.

We stayed one night at the Argonaut over the summer and loved it! We used the valet and had great service with our luggage. We walked down to the Boudin Bakery for dinner overlooking the Wharf and had a great meal! The next morning we walked to the trolley car station, super easy to find.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience and pictures. I appreciate it!

Thank you for the suggestion of Boudin Bakery. I just looked at the menu and it looks really good! I’m going to add it to our list.

Thank you for the suggestion of Boudin Bakery. I just looked at the menu and it looks really good! I’m going to add it to our list.

They have two options right there - a lunch spot with soups and sandwiches and then a fancier place called "Bistro Boudin." We loved the baked goat cheese appetizer!

They have two options right there - a lunch spot with soups and sandwiches and then a fancier place called "Bistro Boudin." We loved the baked goat cheese appetizer!

There are other Boudin locations, but quite a few are called "Boudin SF". The one in the basement of Macy's Union Square can sometimes be as busy as the main location at the demonstration bakery in Fishermans Wharf. The prices might even be a little bit less. My usual order is the "Best of Boudin" with clam chowder in a bread bowl (upcharge for the bread bowl) and a half sandwich. Often I can't finish it and take the sandwich home.

San+Francisco-20110602-00462.jpg

When I was working a summer job in San Francisco decades ago, I loved Boudin, which had a couple of (now gone) downtown locations. I might even get a sourdough loaf to take home.

For anyone visiting San Francisco, the Ferry Building is pretty nice. A lot of places there are super expensive, but I rather like Acme Bread, which is based in Berkeley and where this is their only retail location outside of their original location in Berkeley. This location usually has sandwiches. And there should be a farmers market on Saturdays where there will be lots of food booths.

And for the OP, there are some seedy parts of San Francisco. It's really odd because the notorious Tenderloin neighborhood of San Francisco is right next to Union Square where many of the nicest hotels are. I don't think it's particularly dangerous for tourists to accidentally end up there, but it's not a particularly pleasant thing. It's kind of been like that for decades. I'd just do a little bit of research about the Tenderloin in order to avoid it. That being said, some of the most interesting restaurants in San Francisco are there. But I'm a local and I kind of just accept it for what it is.

On that note, you don't need to travel to San Francisco to visit a Boudin bakery. DCA has a Boudin bakery - Aunt Cass Cafe in SanFransokyo. They serve clam chowder, mac & cheese, and curry in the bread bowls. Boudin bakeries and restaurants are also located in Costa Mesa, Huntington Beach and Irvine.

Edited to correct that they do still serve the clam chowder at DCA.

Last edited:
There are other Boudin locations, but quite a few are called "Boudin SF". The one in the basement of Macy's Union Square can sometimes be as busy as the main location at the demonstration bakery in Fishermans Wharf. The prices might even be a little bit less. My usual order is the "Best of Boudin" with clam chowder in a bread bowl (upcharge for the bread bowl) and a half sandwich. Often I can't finish it and take the sandwich home.

San+Francisco-20110602-00462.jpg

When I was working a summer job in San Francisco decades ago, I loved Boudin, which had a couple of (now gone) downtown locations. I might even get a sourdough loaf to take home.

For anyone visiting San Francisco, the Ferry Building is pretty nice. A lot of places there are super expensive, but I rather like Acme Bread, which is based in Berkeley and where this is their only retail location outside of their original location in Berkeley. This location usually has sandwiches. And there should be a farmers market on Saturdays where there will be lots of food booths.

And for the OP, there are some seedy parts of San Francisco. It's really odd because the notorious Tenderloin neighborhood of San Francisco is right next to Union Square where many of the nicest hotels are. I don't think it's particularly dangerous for tourists to accidentally end up there, but it's not a particularly pleasant thing. It's kind of been like that for decades. I'd just do a little bit of research about the Tenderloin in order to avoid it. That being said, some of the most interesting restaurants in San Francisco are there. But I'm a local and I kind of just accept it for what it is.
That chowder looks really good!

On that note, you don't need to travel to San Francisco to visit a Boudin bakery. DCA has a Boudin bakery. They no longer offer a clam chowder bowl, but you can sample and buy freshly baked bread. Boudin bakeries and restaurants with clam chowder bowls are located in Costa Mesa, Huntington Beach and Irvine.
We are starting our trip in San Francisco before heading south, but it’s good to know there are other Boudin bakeries if we don’t get to the one in SF.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter