Sanity check (buy 2nd contract or sell current / buy new)

glamdring269

DIS Veteran
Hi all, we've been considering something for awhile now and just wanted to see what a broader audience might think.

The main thing we are trying to figure out is whether we should buy a 2nd DVC resale contract or if we should sell our current contract and buy a new one (in some order of operations). This is not something we would decide to do until later this year / early next year after our upcoming trip in December. We're doing a split stay between AKV-Jambo and VWL so it's actually quite fitting considering what we are considering.

Current contract: 75 point VWL with October UY. Purchased a few years back when market was at or near bottom. Paid cash.

Considering: 75-100 point AKV w/ Oct or Dec UY. October of course if we do keep the VWL contract. We would pay cash.

Primary reasons for buying the 2nd contract would be to have access to Club and Value at AKV. Ownership extension to 2057 is also a plus though not a key point of consideration.

We know that one positive to maintaining ownership in both is booking advantage at both. It also would allow for a larger point pool but considering we are 2 adults w/ 0 kids who don't mind staying in studios the extra points aren't a huge positive for us. Another positive is that, unless something changes, we shouldn't have any issue renting the points out so offsetting our initial investment and maint fees is a non-issue.

I guess I've worked this post the long way around to what I really want to ask. What are the negatives to having ownership in both if I'm not worried about the maint fees?

Again this is just for discussion to help give me something to chew on over the next few months. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

(Oh, and for the record, I am actually leaning towards buying the 2nd contract and keeping the original. Have a feeling our visit during Christmas will help reaffirm why we bought in at VWL to begin with.)

Last edited:
Hi all, we've been considering something for awhile now and just wanted to see what a broader audience might think.

The main thing we are trying to figure out is whether we should buy a 2nd DVC resale contract or if we should sell our current contract and buy a new one (in some order of operations). This is not something we would decide to do until later this year / early next year after our upcoming trip in December. We're doing a split stay between AKV-Jambo and VWL so it's actually quite fitting considering what we are considering.

Current contract: 75 point VWL with October UY. Purchased a few years back when market was at or near bottom. Paid cash.

Considering: 75-100 point AKV w/ Oct or Dec UY. October of course if we do keep the VWL contract. We would pay cash.

Primary reasons for buying the 2nd contract would be to have access to Club and Value at AKV. Ownership extension to 2057 is also a plus though not a key point of consideration.

We know that one positive to maintaining ownership in both is booking advantage at both. It also would allow for a larger point pool but considering we are 2 adults w/ 0 kids who don't mind staying in studios the extra points aren't a huge positive for us. Another positive is that, unless something changes, we shouldn't have any issue renting the points out so offsetting our initial investment and maint fees is a non-issue.

I guess I've worked this post the long way around to what I really want to ask. What are the negatives to having ownership in both if I'm not worried about the maint fees?

Again this is just for discussion to help give me something to chew on over the next few months. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

(Oh, and for the record, I am actually leaning towards buying the 2nd contract and keeping the original. Have a feeling our visit during Christmas will help reaffirm why we bought in at VWL to begin with.)
If you sell the BRV contract to buy a larger one at AKV on the resale market, you will lose any membership benefits that you were grandfathered into. They may or may not be important to you but I thought that I would point that out.

If you're really into VWL in December I would certainly keep that contract for the 11m window. Plus like Marionnette said, keeping the blue card benefits you have now.

Have you stayed CL at AKV? IMO not worth it, bad views, not many animals, lounge offerings just so, so, and VERY difficult to book. Can't walk to any park and can only get to other resorts by bus or car.

We are founding AKV owners and have sold all but one of our contracts there

:earsboy: Bill

I think we'll probably just keep the VWL contract. One point I didn't consider was the grandfathered in part of our account in general so definitely worth keeping that in mind.

As for the next resort choice. We honed in on AKV because we know we love staying there but I also know it's not that difficult to get into at 7 months. Bill, we haven't stayed club before and to be honest I was only listing that as a unique "perk" that would be available only to owners. We've considered BWV/BCV due to the proximity to Epcot/DHS but have a hard time rationalizing the cost vs. contract length vs. AKV. Granted I have no idea if I'd even care that the contract is expiring 25 years from now but that would put termination in our early retirement years so could be considered either a good or bad thing. It's really impossible to know.

Ultimately we'll just end up doing the typical Christmas resort tour in a few months and will likely just try to take everything in while walking around and decide if we do want another contract and where would be the best fit.

Last edited:
We enjoy staying and owning BRV and VGF for our MK/AK stays and BWV for our Epcot/DHS stays. While we can go to the MK while staying at BWV, we tend to not bother and waste time on the bus. What we don't do or see this trip, we will see the next trip. We also own BLT and BCV but rarely stay there anymore. I expect that DVD will offer contract extensions if that is an issue but it isn't for us.

Stay CL means to get the perks you have to structure your vacation around the offerings. Not worth it. Rooms are very hard to get.

We just bought more AKV points in May because we enjoy AKV. We enjoy staying concierge about once every year or 18 months (2-5 night stays usually) we do book value sometimes, and we enjoy the resort. I would not try to talk you out of staying, buying AKV, so listen to everyone and decide what fits you!

We just bought more AKV points in May because we enjoy AKV. We enjoy staying concierge about once every year or 18 months (2-5 night stays usually) we do book value sometimes, and we enjoy the resort. I would not try to talk you out of staying, buying AKV, so listen to everyone and decide what fits you!

Disney works because there is something for everyone and what I don't really enjoy, you do. That's why I suggest that interested buyers experience the different resorts for themselves and not just rely on our recommendations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter