SAP+ ?

I feel like the use of SAP isn't really a 'thing' if I only want to stay in studios. Availability at 7 months seems so tough for studios. We just have our 50 pts at BRV but I've considered that we might want more points down the road. I've asked myself...do I buy more at BRV or do I get SAP to basically add to that. But then I worry I'd be stuck at SSR or whatever anyway.

But then if we want more points to book 1-bedroom...does buying SAP make more sense for that than buying more BRV? I suspect BRV will always be our top choice for stays.
This is always a tough one - if you are drawn to one resort it doesn't exactly make sense to buy cheaper points elsewhere just for the cheapness, esp if you don't want a split stay. Yes, it is possible that when you make the switch over to 1BRs you may be able to book those at BRV without BRV points, at the 7 month mark, but it seems potentially dangerous if BRV is really where you want to stay.

I think cheap SAP are only useful if you don't mind actually sleeping around, if you have looked at availability charts and are fairly confident you'll get what you want at 7 months, and if you don't mind ending up at resorts like SSR. This is how I view my SSR points. Also, we will always have a car at WDW as I can't handle not having a car when I travel lol so that also means I don't have to worry quite as much about bus transportation - but that may not be everyone's jam.

I can’t think of just one….

Attractions:
1) Space Mountain has music
2) Matterhorn is fun, but jerky…kind of a right of passage…
3) The outside of Small World… a masterpiece, especially at night
4) Peter Pan, where the voices sound like the movie
5) Indiana Jones
6) OG Pirates
7) Big Thunder
8) Lunch or Dinner @ Blue Bayou
9) Breakfast or Lunch at Carnation Cafe

DCA
1) Cars Land… all attractions
2) Guardians
3) Soarin
4) Incredicoaster
5) Dinner: Napa Rose, Cathay Circle
6) Special Event: World of Color Desert Party
7) Lunch: Burrito @ studio catering company, Tacos @ Cocina Cucamonga
8) Desert: Ghirardelli
I hope they improved Blue Bayou since I last went. I get that when I went it was pretty early in their reopening after the pandemic but it was pretty abysmal. Also wasn't a fan of Carthay Circle tbh. Napa on the other hand might be the best restaurant on Disney property anywhere.

This is always a tough one - if you are drawn to one resort it doesn't exactly make sense to buy cheaper points elsewhere just for the cheapness, esp if you don't want a split stay. Yes, it is possible that when you make the switch over to 1BRs you may be able to book those at BRV without BRV points, at the 7 month mark, but it seems potentially dangerous if BRV is really where you want to stay.

I think cheap SAP are only useful if you don't mind actually sleeping around, if you have looked at availability charts and are fairly confident you'll get what you want at 7 months, and if you don't mind ending up at resorts like SSR. This is how I view my SSR points. Also, we will always have a car at WDW as I can't handle not having a car when I travel lol so that also means I don't have to worry quite as much about bus transportation - but that may not be everyone's jam.
I feel like this is even more true if people are using bank/borrow to go once every 3 years…. and have very specific travel windows….

I hope they improved Blue Bayou since I last went. I get that when I went it was pretty early in their reopening after the pandemic but it was pretty abysmal. Also wasn't a fan of Carthay Circle tbh. Napa on the other hand might be the best restaurant on Disney property anywhere.
Carthay: 😳

Where did you sit and what did you have?

The inner dining room is the place to be. The satellite areas… not so much.

I always get the pork chop and have never been disappointed.

Also, get the Gogi wine… by Kurt Russell… you will not regret it.

Blue Bayou: It went through a less than impressive food period, but ever since they could serve alcohol they seemed to have upped their game…. but the ambiance of you are close to the ride…. it’s a unique Disneyland experience.

Gumbo, Monte Cristo for lunch…

Carthay: 😳

Where did you sit and what did you have?

The inner dining room is the place to be. The satellite areas… not so much.

I always get the pork chop and have never been disappointed.

Also, get the Gogi wine… by Kurt Russell… you will not regret it.

Blue Bayou: It went through a less than impressive food period, but ever since they could serve alcohol they seemed to have upped their game…. but the ambiance of you are close to the ride…. it’s a unique Disneyland experience.

Gumbo, Monte Cristo for lunch…
Sadly.. I had the pork chop 😭😭

Idk maybe they were off their game that night but mine was kind of dry. :(. Blue Bayou I hope has gotten back to their former glory. I used to love that place back in the day but had been disappointed the last couple visits. I can forgive a lot because of that ambience but they were just so.. stingy and it made me sad.

Cafe Orleans' Monte Cristo also used to be amazing but I haven't been back there recently and I'm pretty sure they changed the bread for that over the past few years? I may or may not be making that up.

Anyways Napa Rose is always my go to when I celebrate a life milestone :P. I always make sure to use my parent's CM 50% off discount on Napa if I can hahah

Sadly.. I had the pork chop 😭😭

Idk maybe they were off their game that night but mine was kind of dry. :(. Blue Bayou I hope has gotten back to their former glory. I used to love that place back in the day but had been disappointed the last couple visits. I can forgive a lot because of that ambience but they were just so.. stingy and it made me sad.

Cafe Orleans' Monte Cristo also used to be amazing but I haven't been back there recently and I'm pretty sure they changed the bread for that over the past few years? I may or may not be making that up.

Anyways Napa Rose is always my go to when I celebrate a life milestone :P. I always make sure to use my parent's CM 50% off discount on Napa if I can hahah
I think you’ll be happy on future visits… but I get it that the expectations are sky high with how hard it is to get a reservation, the price, and the hype.

I’d still recommend a first timer to DL give them a try as the location and ambiance alone are worth the gamble.

I also completely agree that Napa is the most sure bet, although they went through their own less than ideal time…. I have found the last few visits to be on point….

I think you’ll be happy on future visits… but I get it that the expectations are sky high with how hard it is to get a reservation, the price, and the hype.

I’d still recommend a first timer to DL give them a try as the location and ambiance alone are worth the gamble.

I also completely agree that Napa is the most sure bet, although they went through their own less than ideal time…. I have found the last few visits to be on point….
Yeahhh some things just don't miss though like Plaza Inn chicken or pomme frites at Cafe Orleans. God I miss home sometimes :(

Anyways the rest of your list I agree with. Some things are just better at DL than they are at WDW like Space Mountain, Pirates, Indy vs. Dinosaur, Haunted and Cars vs. Test Track.

But there are definitely a LOT of things that WDW has that DL simply doesn't like an operating people mover :P

For the longest time being a DL local, I always thought DL was superior to WDW. And from a 1:1 park basis, for me DL is still number 1. But as a whole experience I have to give it to WDW. There's just so much more. It's why we'll soon be WDW locals.. at least for a little while.

Last edited:
It’s iconic. But…. real Hawaii is just better…. a man made lake in FL is not the Pacific Ocean…
Oh for sure… but that’s what I’m looking for in Poly is the mid-century Tiki-bar culture feel.

Yep @ClaraOswald if you wanted to get SAP+ just go with CCV, at least you’ll be in the same location. Although it may be that you wouldn’t even want to switch to the room Nextdoor, so maybe not.
I’m sure there will be plenty of BRV contracts over the next 5 years that you can just grab whenever and add to your pile. People will be wanting to get out while there is still value or when the price starts dropping drastically and that’s when you pounce. ;)

Yeahhh some things just don't miss though like Plaza Inn chicken or pomme frites at Cafe Orleans. God I miss home sometimes :(

Anyways the rest of your list I agree with. Some things are just better at DL than they are at WDW like Space Mountain, Pirates, Indy vs. Dinosaur, Haunted and Cars vs. Test Track.

But there are definitely a LOT of things that WDW has that DL simply doesn't like an operating people mover :P

For the longest time being a DL local, I always thought DL was superior to WDW. And from a 1:1 park basis, for me DL is still number 1. But as a whole experience I have to give it to WDW. There's just so much more. It's why we'll soon be WDW locals.. at least for a little while.
Plaza Inn, Jolly Holiday, River Belle…. the interiors of those places are parts of American history and absolutely beautiful if you take the time to appreciate them.

I completely get the WDW appreciation… it’s why I’m trying to win my So Cal wife over….

For the longest time being a DL local, I always thought DL was superior to WDW. And from a 1:1 park basis, for me DL is still number 1. But as a whole experience I have to give it to WDW. There's just so much more. It's why we'll soon be WDW locals.. at least just for a little while
I rode people mover like 5-6 times in the 3-4 days I visited MK. I even did the Carousel of Progress multiple times.

I agree as a whole WDW is outstanding, but one park vs one park I still give DLR the nod… probably just because of the nostalgia and growing up going there.
But I definitely get why Epcot is number 1 in my poll.

I rode people mover like 5-6 times in the 3-4 days I visited MK. I even did the Carousel of Progress multiple times.

I agree as a whole WDW is outstanding, but one park vs one park I still give DLR the nod… probably just because of the nostalgia and growing up going there.
But I definitely get why Epcot is number 1 in my poll.
Yep agreed. People Mover and Carousel of Progress are timeless and it's a shame they're no longer at Disneyland. Something Walt Disney realized was not everything had to be high thrills and that attractions could be relaxing and still be good. I enjoyed Rocket Rods the few times I did go on it when I was younger but I would give it back immediately if it meant keeping People Mover running.

Oh for sure… but that’s what I’m looking for in Poly is the mid-century Tiki-bar culture feel.
There's no reason you can't just own at both AUL and Poly.. :P

I think I forgot to respond to your other post but if I were you I'd drop Boulder Ridge in exchange for another SAP+ option like CCV, Poly or BLT personally. Could also do AUL either sub or unsub depending on the price but that would be my choice.

Oh, we know!! ;)
True though, don’t let the hype or expectations get too high, but yes, you can feel the difference.

One??
Must view and give Walt’s lamp a hat tip & thank you nod. :tilt: :earboy2:

Top differences… I’m sure already know.
Experience the original Pirates, New Orleans Square, Haunted Mansion (closed, but it should be on your list), Fantasyland including Small World and Matterhorn (feels like WDW Space mountain), should also ride Space Mt… it’s the only thing worthy in DLR’s Tomorrowland. lol (actually I would ride Autopia too, just because)

I would also suggest jumping on the train at Main Street station before you do anything and ride it all the way around just to get your bearing and a glimpse of everything.
I can’t think of just one….

Attractions:
1) Space Mountain has music
2) Matterhorn is fun, but jerky…kind of a right of passage…
3) The outside of Small World… a masterpiece, especially at night
4) Peter Pan, where the voices sound like the movie
5) Indiana Jones
6) OG Pirates
7) Big Thunder
8) Lunch or Dinner @ Blue Bayou
9) Breakfast or Lunch at Carnation Cafe

DCA
1) Cars Land… all attractions
2) Guardians
3) Soarin
4) Incredicoaster
5) Dinner: Napa Rose, Cathay Circle
6) Special Event: World of Color Desert Party
7) Lunch: Burrito @ studio catering company, Tacos @ Cocina Cucamonga
8) Desert: Ghirardelli
Haha I knew asking for one thing was going to be impossible. This is great, thank you! I’m gonna tick off as many of these as I can, most of these were already at the top of my list.

Also I know we’re veering far from the thread subject so I won’t ask more after this but since I’ve got you here lol… what ride do you all rope drop or make your first G+? I know my game plan at WDW but I have no idea what’s most popular in DL does it make sense to park hop if it’s our first time or should we focus on 1 park each day? Sadly, Incredicoaster is down for refurbishment next week so I assume that will put even more pressure on Radiator Springs so I’m sure we’ll prioritize that in DCA (is there an ILL for Radiator Springs?) I’m also ok skipping rides that exist on both coasts (except the few that I’ve heard better/different in DL like Pirates and Space Mountain, etc).

As far as food, we were planning to just snack around most of the day, heard very good things about the QS and snacks around DL. We might sit down for 1 proper meal but I didn’t want to take too much of the day at a few full on sit down restaurants, unless there was something we can’t miss.

Also, I looked up to see if there were any dessert parties available after reading your mention about it @AstroBlasters and surprisingly one of our nights had availability so I quickly booked that! We’ve never done one before so I’m not sure what to expect but if it made your top DLR list then it’s gotta be worth it.

Thanks for taking the time to give me your recommendations and tips. I’m currently reading through a bunch of threads about first time Disneylanders and studying the MDE map to know a little but where I’m going lol (@Chili327 I love the idea of taking the train around park when we first get in to take it all in and get our bearings😍) I swear going to Disney is like being back in school with the amount of homework we have to do. At least the results are fun 😅

Haha I knew asking for one thing was going to be impossible. This is great, thank you! I’m gonna tick off as many of these as I can, most of these were already at the top of my list.

Also I know we’re veering far from the thread subject so I won’t ask more after this but since I’ve got you here lol… what ride do you all rope drop or make your first G+? I know my game plan at WDW but I have no idea what’s most popular in DL does it make sense to park hop if it’s our first time or should we focus on 1 park each day? Sadly, Incredicoaster is down for refurbishment next week so I assume that will put even more pressure on Radiator Springs so I’m sure we’ll prioritize that in DCA (is there an ILL for Radiator Springs?) I’m also ok skipping rides that exist on both coasts (except the few that I’ve heard better/different in DL like Pirates and Space Mountain, etc).

As far as food, we were planning to just snack around most of the day, heard very good things about the QS and snacks around DL. We might sit down for 1 proper meal but I didn’t want to take too much of the day at a few full on sit down restaurants, unless there was something we can’t miss.

Also, I looked up to see if there were any dessert parties available after reading your mention about it @AstroBlasters and surprisingly one of our nights had availability so I quickly booked that! We’ve never done one before so I’m not sure what to expect but if it made your top DLR list then it’s gotta be worth it.

Thanks for taking the time to give me your recommendations and tips. I’m currently reading through a bunch of threads about first time Disneylanders and studying the MDE map to know a little but where I’m going lol (@Chili327 I love the idea of taking the train around park when we first get in to take it all in and get our bearings😍) I swear going to Disney is like being back in school with the amount of homework we have to do. At least the results are fun 😅
I’d recommend watching Fresh Baked Disney’s YouTube channel and looking for the Rope Drop strategies.

My wife just reminded me to add brunch at Lamplight Lounge if it is available! (F/Sa/Su only)

The train is as old school Walt as it gets!!

I definitely would get hoppers, sometimes, you’re just in the mood to switch gears, also sometimes park hours make you wish you could hop.
And yes prioritize Radiator Springs Racers (Rope drop or ILL if it’s ugly).
I don’t use G+ ever, so can’t help, but agree with Astro, FreshBakedDisney is your channel.

Is Lunar New Year still going on? Food booths are great, if so!

Thats where my head is at…. friendship boats…. seems pretty ideal to Hollywood Studios…

I would love to try out BCV someday simply for the walk to Epcot. Though the boat to HS would also be pretty great, I think.

Great advice and tips.

Outside of one thing: It's a Small World makes me want to pull my hair out and usually about 3/4 of the way in , I want to jump out of the ride and run/swim to the exit. I keep telling myself, it'll be better, it's only 10 or 15 minutes....yea well so far it hasn't and I first rode that ride at Disney Land in 1977

Yea, on the inside it’s basically the same ride, but the outside is where the difference is.
One looks like something from the 1965 Worlds Fair, the other looks like a themed Best Buy. lol

Aww...I love Small World! Especially at DL. I really enjoy the addition of the Disney movie characters. I actually didn't realize that WDW didn't have them until we went in January. I was sad to not see them there.

Let me point out that having a full 1BR worth of points at BRV will mean you can book that 1BR at 11 months. If you add on SAP at a different resort, you’ll be booking a studio at 11 months and hoping a 1BR is available at 7 months. Having all those points at the same resort (and same UY, of course) will make it easier to book somewhere else at 7 months, too.

Remember that Poly was designed in the late 1960s, when the concept of Hawaiian and Polynesian culture was what you see there. Tiki torches, fruity drinks in coconut shells, hula skirts. So yes, Poly is meant to be what we now consider kitschy.

Aulani was designed as an homage to Hawaiian culture. Joe Rhode spent a great deal of time and effort to create a building and environment that evokes native Hawaii, completely different from 1950s-60s tiki kitsch. Aulani completely blew me away when I walked into the lobby, which was after I had visited historic and cultural locations over several visits (mostly to the Big Island).

I think it's probably not worth the risk to do SAP then because if we ended up in just a studio and had to bank points...they'd likely expire before we could use them.

I do think Polynesian is kitschy, but in a good way. The fonts and certain things about the resort lean hard into the 1970s “The Brady Bunch Goes to Hawaii” vibe… because the resort itself has only changed so much from its own 1970s origins.

YES. I think that's where my mind has always been with it because I was obsessed with the Brady Bunch as a kid so when I see Poly, I just think of those episodes and it makes me smile.

I'm sure we'd be happy anywhere. But if we only end up going every other year or every third year, I think it would be a bit disappointing if we didn't end up at our preferred resort most years. We are thinking of going next January again and I have a feeling we'll end up at SSR for that one so I'll be curious to see what we think of it.

I feel like this is even more true if people are using bank/borrow to go once every 3 years…. and have very specific travel windows….

I think that's the main reason we really need to stick with all BRV points if we want to bump up to a 1 bedroom. I'm hopeful that the price will drop a bit over the next several years as it gets even closer to 2042. (And if we still want to go to WDW after 2042....not sure what our plans will be. I can't think that far ahead.)

Peter Pan is one of the rides at Disneyland that always has a long wait. Plus it doesn't have Genie+. It's not that much different than WDW, if I remember correctly. So not sure how much of a priority you'd want to make that. But definitely make time for all of the other Fantasyland rides. That's the area we really missed when we were at WDW - Alice, Mr. Toad, Snow White, Pinocchio, Storybook Canal, Casey Jr. Also, the Tea Cups are so pretty at night!

I think riding the Train around is a wonderful idea though I don't think I'd rope drop it.

I would also definitely get park hoppers. We essentially treat both parks as just 1 big park. And now you can park hop after 11am so it's not too bad. Did you mention where you're staying? I can't recall.

On a separate note my wife and I were looking at BC/BW 2BD, AKV GV (J & K), Polly Bungalows, BLT GV TP, and GF GV last night on you tube.

After the BC/BW, AK & Poly we got to BLT GV TP and she said “now that’s what I’m talking about!”…. then we watched the GF GV and she said “Ok…. well obviously that one is the best…”

So… I think I have my marching orders 🤣
This reminded me that my “I really don’t care where I stay. It’s just a place to sleep” husband’s interest was piqued when I showed him a video of the bungalow so of course I seized moment to inform him that we shall try it 🤣🤣🤣

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter