Saratoga v Boardwalk

attorneywolfe

Earning My Ears
Tried to book at Boardwalk 7 months to the day before our upcoming trip (leaving Saturday). Could not get in, nor into Beach Club. Only available was Saratoga.

1) Looking for comments of comparison on anyone who has stayed at both (especially transportation and ease of getting around resort from Saratoga).

2) Since this next week is low season, any guesses as to why I could not get into Boardwalk or Beach Club?

This post is probably more appropriate for the DVC board.

The reason you could not get in is because early December is low points for DVC members and all the christmas decorations are up and holiday stuff going on, plus the parks are quiet - so it is a popular time for DVC.

I haven't stayed at the Boardwalk before - i have stayed at BC but in the hotel. I am also staying at Saratoga this December for the first time. I have searched it on the DVC boards and it is getting some great reviews. It does seem to be a large resort and people are suggesting that if you want to be close to Downtown Disney to request a Congress Park room and if you want to be close to the main building and pool, request a room in the Springs section.

If you go to the Disney Vacation Discussion Board, on these boards and search Saratoga Springs, you will find a whole heap of info. It does look very nice.

We've stayed at all three (once at BWV, twice each at BCV & SSR) and prefer SSR to them both. It is a very large resort, so having a car would come in handy (although we did not have one and were okay). We like the Congress Park area, but recently stayed at the Paddocks. The villas are beautifully decorated and probably run about the same in size at BWV and BCV. Artists's Palette is the only food option at this time, but their menu seems to have improved since our first visit in 2004. Also, proximity to DTD makes this almost a moot point; walking there is very handy. We needed maintenance during our first evening - lights would not come on :confused3 (malfunctioning circuit breaker) and they were quick to appear and fix the issue. Housekeeping was also fine; we were not given any starter packs of coffee and they quickly brought more than enough.

Bus service is fine, although internal buses are few and far between. The Springs is the last stop on the way out of the complex. IMHO, bus service far surpasses that of BWV and BCV, which we have found to be very slow and tedious. I think signage could be improved as the resort is large and somewhat confusing to the neophyte. Otherwise, I like this resort and we will certainly return as an alternative when OKW is booked. Nothing will replace OKW in my heart - :cloud9:

Our family has done this twice now - spent half a week at BWV and half at SSP. Just did it last week.

I love BWV because of the Boardwalk itself - stores, restaurants, entertainers, etc. You can get to EPOCT or D/MGM by walking or boat. Its just a GREAT atmosphere all around. For the past few years BWV had gotten a bit run-down, but it was in great shape last week. Everything at BWV seems so close and convenient, and I love the ESPN Club.

SSP is neat because of its location close to Downtown Disney and Westside. If you stay at the Congaree Park section of SSP, you can walk to Downtown. Otherwise, SSP is a bit too spread out for me and you will need to drive / bus / boat to downtown, and grabbing a snack from Animator's Palate, while delicious, is a haul. It's not near any of the parks, so a bus ride or drive is required. However, SSP is so new that everything is neat and clean. It feels more luxurious that BWV because is has dark wood furniture and the like.

My favorite is still BWV, but if I can't get in there, SSP is a great second.

Just my $0.02.

We really enjoyed our stay at SSR. The pool is awesome there with a great slide and neat water features for kids. The resort itself is beautiful, and everything is new and clean. It IS spread out somewhat, but we didn't mind a little bit of walking. I don't think it is more spread out than most of the Disney resorts, especially the moderates. The walkway to DTD was very convenient. The only thing I could really comment on as a negative was that the bus service was hit and miss. Once again, I think you can experience at any or all of the Disney resorts. Overall, I think it's a great choice. My kids want to go back, as they loved the spacious room and the pool.

We've stayed at OKW, BCV, BWV and SS. I would not stay at BCV again. Most things are very inconvenient.

My favorites are OKW and BWV.
OKW for that layed back quiet feeling and BWV to be in the "thick" of it all. The plus and minus of both for us has to do with your car. BWV it's a long walk, OKW, right outside the door.

SS-was VERY nice also and I would have no problem at all going back there. We stayed at the Springs, since I have bad knees and asked for a room convenient to the main areas. It was really nice. This is going to be an awesome resort when it's finished. From what I understand they will be adding several restaurants also in the future. Very much on the order of OKW and very convenient to restaurants etc. at DD.

As stated since you are obviously booking with DVC points you will get more responses on that forum. Be warned though some DVC members are very loyal to their home resorts and sometimes their opinions are based more on personal preference and less on facts.

That said, we love SSR and find the transportation very realiable. Buses will take you to any location you desire. The resort is beautiful, peaceful, and the furnishings in the villas some of the best I think Disney has chosen.

As stated due to the fact that points required are lower in December this is a peak time for DVC members to go, and enjoy all the decorations and special activities for the holidays. Many DVC resorts book up prior to the 7 month window.

As to Internal buses you can ride any park bus and as they are leaving simply ask them to let you off at the Main area (Carriage House) near the Springs Bus stop if you are staying at Congress Park. I am not sure about the route for the Paddocks as it was not open when we where there.

I'm a newbie to DVC (our first stay is Jan 06) and I have a question involving these two resorts. SSR is our home and we are going there to try it out in Jan, but we are planning a big family trip next Dec, 1st week. I wanted to try and get BWV for the Dec trip b/c I thought that would be most enjoyable for the extended family, being convenient to EPCOT and all. I know I have to wait until the 7 mth window to get a reservation there, but you all are making me concerned that I won't be able to get a room due to availability. Would it be best to book at SSR at 11 mths and then try to change it to BWV at 7 mths? That way if BWV is not available at 7 mths, at least I'll have something booked? We are looking at a 2 BR and possibly an additional studio.

ZippyDooDah said:
I'm a newbie to DVC (our first stay is Jan 06) and I have a question involving these two resorts. SSR is our home and we are going there to try it out in Jan, but we are planning a big family trip next Dec, 1st week. I wanted to try and get BWV for the Dec trip b/c I thought that would be most enjoyable for the extended family, being convenient to EPCOT and all. I know I have to wait until the 7 mth window to get a reservation there, but you all are making me concerned that I won't be able to get a room due to availability. Would it be best to book at SSR at 11 mths and then try to change it to BWV at 7 mths? That way if BWV is not available at 7 mths, at least I'll have something booked? We are looking at a 2 BR and possibly an additional studio.
Yes, booking your home resort at 11 months and then switching if possible when the 7 month point arrives is the appropriate way to handle this situation.

Ralph

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter