"Saving" Dessert for Later?

sallysue66

DIS Veteran
We haven't used the DDP in a couple of years but I think I remember that at some places we didn't have to get the dessert with our meal but could save the receipt and redeem it later. Am I remembering correctly and can you still do this? If you can do you have to use it at the same restaurant?

Some places will mark your receipt and let you come back within a specific time period (usually an hour or so) for an item like ice cream. The reason being, of course, that ice cream and frozen desserts would melt by the time you got to them in the Florida heat.

You always have to go back to the same restaurant, and recent reports have been that virtually everyone has to do so in a fairly short window of time. (Long ago there were stories that you could get your receipt at lunch and come back for dessert at 9pm at your food court, I haven't heard that for a very long time though)

Tricia's explanation above is limited to CS restaurants. At a TS you must get your dessert at the same time you get the rest of your meal, you can't go back (or to a different restaurant) and get a dessert later.

Tricia's explanation above is limited to CS restaurants. At a TS you must get your dessert at the same time you get the rest of your meal, you can't go back (or to a different restaurant) and get a dessert later.

You can ask them to box it to go though, depending what it is and depending on the restaurant. But be sensible if you consider trying this- cheesecake in a box accomanying you on the likes of Test Track, EE, Splash/BTMR ..... not smart. ;) I have learnt not to bother unless I am literally on my way out of the park and back to the resort and even so, this is best done in the evening.

As an experiment I think I will try taking cheesecake on Mission Space.

:rotfl: I am thinking of trying The Wave on Kali ;)

(Thanks for clarifying about CS vs TS Nala, I meant to say CS, just didn't get so far as to type it out)

You can ask them to box it to go though, depending what it is and depending on the restaurant. But be sensible if you consider trying this- cheesecake in a box accomanying you on the likes of Test Track, EE, Splash/BTMR ..... not smart. ;) I have learnt not to bother unless I am literally on my way out of the park and back to the resort and even so, this is best done in the evening.

We got dessert to go once @ LeCellier.......& a whole order of just pretzel bread. We were leaving the park but did stop to take some pictures on the way out. Granddaughter had insisted on carrying one of the bags & you know it she left the one with that yummy pretzel bread on a bench somewhere....our chocolate mousse was pretty melted & so was the chocolate on the whiskey cake by the time we got back to our room.

As an experiment I think I will try taking cheesecake on Mission Space.

:lmao::lmao::lmao: You ride alone.....!!!

I'm sure lots of people have already lost their cheesecake on Mission: Space.

:rotfl2: T'was the teacups that nearly did it for me ;) 7 year old "driving" attempting to create the Mad Hatter Splatter ... enough said!

We got dessert to go once @ LeCellier.......& a whole order of just pretzel bread. We were leaving the park but did stop to take some pictures on the way out. Granddaughter had insisted on carrying one of the bags & you know it she left the one with that yummy pretzel bread on a bench somewhere....our chocolate mousse was pretty melted & so was the chocolate on the whiskey cake by the time we ,ot back to our room.

It is always the practicalities that get you, rather than the actual ideas. When you think about it, it is more cost effective to forego the dessert you can't manage, rather than have to buy stain removal/new clothing .... and a new T shirt for the guests in the immediate surrounding area .... :rolleyes1

Seriously though, it can work, but you need to stop and think carefully about what your plans are when you leave with that box (and what's in the box).

I never thought to ask about the ice cream at counter service - I'll have to ask next time so I don't have a melted dessert :) Thanks for the tip!

When I ate at 50s Prime Time one night, my family was so stuffed but our server insisted we get something to go so we did! She boxed it up (apple cobbler I think) and we ate it later although it did NOT make it through the whole night. I could only imagine it floating around in the Tower of Terror :rotfl:

I could only imagine it floating around in the Tower of Terror :rotfl:

As long as it didn't slap anyone upside the head when you were on the way up ....! If you take a fruit bowl for dessert you could enjoy a freshly made smoothie though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter