Saving money at Disney? I'm not quite so sure...

Carriemel

Emma Clare's Mommy
So, reading an article on MSN...regarding Disney and ways to not make money mistakes... One of the things the article suggests is: "comparing moderately priced Disney-managed options such as the Grand Floridian Resort & Spa and the Polynesian Village Resort, which are located farther away from the parks but still offer added perks" SINCE WHEN is the Grand Floridian and the Poly "moderate"???

Link to the article:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/tip...ravelers-make-at-disney/ss-AAoPkkh?li=BBnbklE

So, reading an article on MSN...regarding Disney and ways to not make money mistakes... One of the things the article suggests is: "comparing moderately priced Disney-managed options such as the Grand Floridian Resort & Spa and the Polynesian Village Resort, which are located farther away from the parks but still offer added perks" SINCE WHEN is the Grand Floridian and the Poly "moderate"???

Link to the article:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/tip...ravelers-make-at-disney/ss-AAoPkkh?li=BBnbklE

They are also not "further away from the parks".

they're further away from three out of four parks. MK isn't the only park. But if you are looking at centrally located, maybe the most centrally located are Art of Animation, Pop Century, and CBR. None of which have access to any park by any way except bus travel (until the skyway is finished)

I once chatted with a friend who used to help write and edit travel books many years ago, just as the proliferation of website travel guides was exploding. Her observation was that many people who write these kind of articles haven't even been to the locations they're helping "guide" you with, and so there is no self-awareness when they make statements that are odd to those with "on-the-ground" experience. Or they make generic statements about a location that could just as well be true in 99% of the places you might visit.

That being said, there is no way a website can give any meaningful advice based solely on 11 image slides. Feels more like a puff-piece designed as click-bait.

So somehow renting a car for $30-40 a day AND paying the $20 to park every day is a way to save money because you save time by not waiting for a bus. What about waiting in traffic and waiting for a tram to take you from the parking lot to the front of the park and back. Sorry, but the few minutes I have to wait for a bus and letting someone else deal with the driving is definitely better than adding another $60/day to my vacation budget.

I can't open the article, but it does not sound like one of those one size fits all articles. Plenty of folks don't mind taking the bus but I've also seen people waiting in line to catch a bus blow up merely because they have to wait. (In my estimation they weren't waiting very long, either). If it's worth it for someone to add $60 so they don't get mad every time they see a bus line, OK, but I'd bet that not all the article's readers feel that way.

So somehow renting a car for $30-40 a day AND paying the $20 to park every day is a way to save money because you save time by not waiting for a bus. What about waiting in traffic and waiting for a tram to take you from the parking lot to the front of the park and back. Sorry, but the few minutes I have to wait for a bus and letting someone else deal with the driving is definitely better than adding another $60/day to my vacation budget.

If you're staying onsite you don't pay to park. Fwiw.

Link to the article:

This is obviously an article written by someone who has never been to WDW (or at least never stayed onsite). Travel articles are often written by people who have either never been to the destination, or who are knowingly exaggerating or lying about the qualities of the destination. This article is one example of the former.

This is seriously one of the worst Disney related articles ever written. The author should be embarrassed.

Lol I won't read the article because it just sounds too terrible ...but the rental car is so worth it for us, we pretty much avoid Disney transportation except taking the monorail to mk..and I really freaking wish they would finish the walkway from GF to MK

I can't open the article, but it does not sound like one of those one size fits all articles. Plenty of folks don't mind taking the bus but I've also seen people waiting in line to catch a bus blow up merely because they have to wait. (In my estimation they weren't waiting very long, either). If it's worth it for someone to add $60 so they don't get mad every time they see a bus line, OK, but I'd bet that not all the article's readers feel that way.

Yeah and then there are people like us who drive there so have a car and stay onsite so no parking fee and we have no aversion to driving 5-10 minutes to get to a park. The only park I'm considering taking bus to this time is MK and I'm really on the fence. And I'm only considering it because I want to avoid the monorail as much as possible.

Lol I won't read the article because it just sounds too terrible ...but the rental car is so worth it for us, we pretty much avoid Disney transportation except taking the monorail to mk..and I really freaking wish they would finish the walkway from GF to MK

Yeah, the article is rubbish but I'll add going by car is usually the fastest way to get around Disney World. There's a few exceptions like resorts where you can walk to a park but in general a car is the fastest way to go. You can frequently reach a park by car in the time it takes just to wait for a bus. Bus has advantages like not having to deal with car seats but quickness is not one of them.

I drive to MK so I don't have to take transportation FROM MK at the end of the day.

Good point. We've never taken a bus. Just can't stand the idea of the wait with my car sitting right there. We work at home so we have no commute. Lol. I know a lot of people want to get away from driving which I get.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter