"Saving Mr. Banks" to film at Disneyland

spgoad

Mouseketeer
An article I came across today talks about the new film "Saving Mr. Banks", a film about the "behind the scenes" events & relationships that led up to Walt Disney making Mary Poppins. They are stating that key locations for filming include Disneyland & the Walt Disney Studios! Tom Hanks is playing Walt and Emma Thompson is playing PL Travers, the author of Mary Poppins. It will be interesting to see what kind of scenes they have with "Walt" in his park. I wonder what areas they will include? They'll have to be careful and not include stuff that was built after the film's era, at least I hope they'll be conscious of that. I'm sure they'll include the castle, but any other ideas where they might shoot to get a 1950s/1960s feel?

Here is a quick link about the movie and filming if you are interested - http://screenrant.com/disney-saving-mr-banks-mary-poppins/

Neat!

Is Ryan Gosling really going to star as Walt in a movie? That fake movie poster sure created a buzz and I'd LOVE to see a well-made movie about Walt Disney's life.

Neat!

Is Ryan Gosling really going to star as Walt in a movie? That fake movie poster sure created a buzz and I'd LOVE to see a well-made movie about Walt Disney's life.

No, it's Tom Hanks. I don't think Ryan Gosling would fit as Walk Disney. I am really excited about this movie, cannot wait to see it.

No, it's Tom Hanks. I don't think Ryan Gosling would fit as Walk Disney. I am really excited about this movie, cannot wait to see it.

I got that THIS movie is starring Tom Hanks.

I was referring to this poster, from a while back, which is for a fake movie, but generated some notable interest.

RYAN-GOSLING-WALT.jpg

I got that THIS movie is starring Tom Hanks.

I was referring to this poster, from a while back, which is for a fake movie, but generated some notable interest.

RYAN-GOSLING-WALT.jpg

I guess what I'd hope for was a biopic not about just making Mary Poppins, but about Walt's whole life.

Anyway, Tom Hanks is a great actor, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to buy him as Walt Disney.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if they used digital effects to "age" (or I guess in another sense, "unage") certain areas if needed. Though it would certainly be more interesting if they did things the old-fashioned way so that Disneyland guests could see the magic better.

I guess what I'd hope for was a biopic not about just making Mary Poppins, but about Walt's whole life.

Anyway, Tom Hanks is a great actor, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to buy him as Walt Disney.

I would like that too. I think it would be really interesting!

Eeee-va said:
I wouldn't be at all surprised if they used digital effects to "age" (or I guess in another sense, "unage") certain areas if needed. Though it would certainly be more interesting if they did things the old-fashioned way so that Disneyland guests could see the magic better.

But they can also do magic with just make-up as well. I'm thinking for example the movie coming out called Looper. They made Joseph Gordon Levitt look like a young Bruce Willis, since they play the same character at different ages.

I am skeptical myself. I adore Tom Hanks in every way! But I'm not sure he's the best fit for this role.

But they can also do magic with just make-up as well. I'm thinking for example the movie coming out called Looper. They made Joseph Gordon Levitt look like a young Bruce Willis, since they play the same character at different ages.
I think Eeee-va is referring to the park, itself?

RaceCar said:
I am skeptical myself. I adore Tom Hanks in every way! But I'm not sure he's the best fit for this role.

I think Eeee-va is referring to the park, itself?

I was talking about the transformation of Tom Hanks (or Ryan Gosling) into Walt Disney.

That would be awesome. Personally I think Tom Hanks is a great pick to play Walt. I can't wait to see it.

Sorry; I was talking about Disneyland. Digital effects on (and creation of) places and objects seem to be to the point where, for the most part, you can't distinguish the real from the digital, so long as it's done properly, so I think they'll be doing at least some of that. But it would be really fun to see Disneyland done up like the old days, even if it's just for the filming.

And to clarify :) I do personally hope they use make-up for Tom Hanks. Digital "age/major feature adjustments" for people still seem to look a tiny bit off. The way I see it, a film about the past is a better place to use physical techniques instead of digital ones. But as long as it looks good in the end, I suppose that's the main thing.

Since you brought this up, I think Joseph Gordon-Levitt is adorable, but that Looper movie is FREAKING ME OUT! He's too cute to be messin' him up like that!

Personally, I think they could age Ryan Gosling well enough to play Walt Disney; I mean, Walt wasn't terribly old when he died. He might be a tad skinny to play an older Walt, though. Young Walt, he can definitely pull off, I think. His facial structure really jives with a young Walt Disney.

I think they're going to have to digitally change the scenery a bit. Disneyland now doesn't look like what it looked like in the 50's and 60's, especially the 50's. It was so bare then. So many things have been added. I'm curious to see how this will be executed:)

Is there any word on a filming schedule.
Wondering the dates they may be in the park.
That is if they are actually filming in the park.

Geemo

I'm looking forward to this movie but do think it will be more about Traver's than Disney. Still looks like some good fodder for Expo 13 :)

Is there any word on a filming schedule.
Wondering the dates they may be in the park.
That is if they are actually filming in the park.

Geemo

Update from OC Register :

http://www.ocregister.com/entertainment/disney-375568-hanks-movie.html

For the first time in a dozen years, Disneyland will host crews to film a major movie – this one starring Tom Hanks as Walt Disney himself.
Disney will block off parts of the park on Nov. 6-7 for "Saving Mr. Banks," which will tell the back story of the making of Disney's 1964 "Mary Poppins" movie. The new film, by Walt Disney Studios, stars Hanks, Emma Thompson as book author P.L. Travers, and Colin Farrell as Travers' father.

Disney officials declined to confirm which actors would come to Disneyland, and they warned that visitors shouldn't expect to see or hear any stars on set, which will be obstructed.
Because the movie is set in 1961, crews can't risk accidentally filming any regular guests in the background, said Suzi Brown, a Disneyland Resort spokeswoman.

Instead, Disney has asked its employees to apply as extras who will appear as Disneyland guests. Interested employees submitted pictures of themselves in period clothes for consideration for a few dozen spots.
Four balloon vendors and four Main Street, U.S.A. vehicle drivers were selected for more prominent roles to do their jobs while the cameras are rolling, Brown said.

Crews will close sections of the park only during filming and no area will be closed all day. Disney declined to say which parts would be closed.
"We will be communicating that schedule to guests when they arrive on those days so they can schedule their visit around the closures," Brown said.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter