Saw 4 large Confederate flags flying at a house today,

And that seems to get overlooked in this debate. The meaning of a symbol can and does evolve over time. I can assure you that the meaning the young black man on my son's football team assigns to the Confederate flag sticker on his pickup truck isn't one of slavery and racial oppression; maybe it is because we're in the north but as I said before the association is more Dukes of Hazzard/Lynyrd Skynyrd/Kid Rock "rebellion" than Civil War rebellion among the young men around here who think it is cool.
Exactly! Maybe they would be wiser to avoid the symbol but I believe that many of them are no more racist than anyone else on this thread.

I'm not even going to bother with this garbage.

ETA- Nine people liked my first post, why aren't you posting the same thing for all of them?
The garbage was in your post. I did not reply to the others because they did not post your language but it is sad that they would agree with your trash.

Before using the words you chose it would be nice if you had a better understanding of history. If you were familiar at all with the people you associated with what you consider "trash" you would know that the people who lived in the mountains of the south were very much against seceding from the union and joining the confederacy. Slavery was non existent in mountainous areas where the term hillbilly has been used. The Civil War was very much about the economics of agriculture and these issues did not exist in the hills. You can't farm rocky, hilly soil.

It is always good to know and understand history before forming judgements.

Oh well, the Klan used the US flag for longer than the "Confederate" flag has been co-opted- about 100 years longer. I guess that means people who fly the US flag are White trash too if the Klan is the criteria.

Yes. It's not an American thing at all. Trash is trash.

So as a Canadian, you really don't have a dog in the hunt do you?

You are making assumptions that you really know nothing about. Have you ever lived in the southern US? Have you ever spent time in the south (and don't count Orlando, that's not the south).

So as a Canadian, you really don't have a dog in the hunt do you?

You are making assumptions that you really know nothing about. Have you ever lived in the southern US? Have you ever spent time in the south (and don't count Orlando, that's not the south).

I'm not making assumptions about anything. I'm stating an opinion. Last time I checked, I was allowed to do that. No, I haven't spent any time in the States, other than a weekend here and there and I have no desire to spend an extended period of time doing so.

It is America and we are free to fly whatever flag we choose. We are also free to assign judgements to those doing so. I would not stereotype as white trash. I do think it represents a bad time in out history and may be perceived as hurtful to some so I would not do this. But I respect your right to do so.

I'm not making assumptions about anything. I'm stating an opinion. Last time I checked, I was allowed to do that. No, I haven't spent any time in the States, other than a weekend here and there and I have no desire to spend an extended period of time doing so.
Kimblebee, I can answer yes to all of her questions and I still agree with you.

My ancestors were slaves in South Carolina. Both of my parents grew up in a small town in SC. I grew up in NYC. I attended college on North Carolina and lived there for 8 years before moving back to NYC. My son went to college in Hampton, VA.

For some reason we are also dismissed and our southern heritage doesn't count when we dare to say we hate that freak flag. LOL

I'm a city chick with country roots.LOL

As a Canadian you could be excused for being uneducated about US history. I won't form an opinion about the quality of that education based on your uninformed statements. What I can't excuse is that anyone would form and post ridiculous, judgmental statements when they haven't bothered to become educated about the topic.

The fact that Andrew Johnson (who was from the "hillbilly" area you disparaged) served as president of the U.S. in the reconstruction period should have told you that there was something wrong with your statement. Hillbilly and the Confederacy makes as much sense as blaming Canadians for slavery.

Last edited:
As a Canadian you could be excused for being uneducated about US history. I won't form an opinion about the quality of that education based on your uninformed statements. What I can't excuse is that anyone would form and post ridiculous, judgmental statements when they haven't bothered to become educated about the topic.

The fact that Andrew Johnson (who was from the "hillbilly" area you disparaged) was elected president of the U.S. in the reconstruction period should have told you that there was something wrong with your statement. Hillbilly and the Confederacy makes as much sense as blaming Canadians for slavery.

I'm done arguing with you. You're twisting my words and coming after me when more and more people are liking my original post. Find someone else to fight..I hope you find what you want.

As the great-great-granddaughter of a slave owner, a slave and a Cherokee Indian, I guess I have plenty to be offended about. The Confederate flag would be offensive to my slave great-great-grandfather, but the American flag would definitely be a symbol of oppression to my Cherokee great-great-grandmother. I've never flown the Confederate flag but I guess I should stop flying the American flag, too?

I'm done arguing with you. You're twisting my words and coming after me when more and more people are liking my original post. Find someone else to fight..I hope you find what you want.
No twisting, just taking issue with your erroneous and judgemental statement.:sad2:

Of course you have a right to your opinion. But if I used the derogatory type of remarks you used about another group of people I would be called racist or bigoted or prejudice or whatever, but its ok in your mind for you to call people hillbillies or white trash.

And the fact remains, you are judging or forming an opinion about something you seem to know little about.

Kimblebee, I can answer yes to all of her questions and I still agree with you.

My ancestors were slaves in South Carolina. Both of my parents grew up in a small town in SC. I grew up in NYC. I attended college on North Carolina and lived there for 8 years before moving back to NYC. My son went to college in Hampton, VA.

For some reason we are also dismissed and our southern heritage doesn't count when we dare to say we hate that freak flag. LOL

I'm a city chick with country roots.LOL

Your heritage is not dismissed except maybe in your mind. Its a part of the heritage of this country.

If you hate the flag, by all means, don't fly it. But decide what it represents. It didn't fly over slavery no matter how much you want to say it did.

I am truly amazed that someone from NYC has to see it so much to be so offended by it. When here, its rarely seen. At memorials, the home of Jeff Davis and a few trucks at truck/car shows and thats about it.

When I read a post as offensive as yours it is very clear who is truly ignorant. If those words come to your mind you are much more racist as those you are trying to disparage.

I believe the term white trash is no better than other words that are banned. Highly offensive to label a group of people. You can call an individual trash but you bring race into it. If this was reversed, the monitors would have deleted the racists posts. Very discriminatory for this board.

I believe the term white trash is no better than other words that are banned. Highly offensive to label a group of people. You can call an individual trash but you bring race into it. If this was reversed, the monitors would have deleted the racists posts. Very discriminatory for this board.
That's because it's ok to be racist/bash on whites or anyone who may appear white. White privilege etc....Seriously people (general humanity, not Dis board specific), we are all created equal and should be judged on our behavior not our color.

"The fact that Andrew Johnson (who was from the "hillbilly" area you disparaged) was elected president of the U.S. in the reconstruction period should have told you that there was something wrong with your statement. Hillbilly and the Confederacy makes as much sense as blaming Canadians for slavery."

Actually...Johnson was never elected President. He became President when Lincoln was murdered. He only served out Lincoln's term, and never ran for President after.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter