Saw 4 large Confederate flags flying at a house today,

Well, this one went exactly how I'd imagined it would.
Hey, man. As long it's your flag and your private property, go for it. Once we start talking schools, and universities and public buildings, that's where I have issues. But private property? No problems with that. You can be just as rude and disrespectful as you want on your own property.

I agree. When you use the word hillbilly you are talking about people from a certain region and to equate that term as white trash is appalling. These posters are disparaging people just based on where they live, not any type of behavior.

See, for me, hillbilly and white trash and redneck do NOT apply to a certain region. You keep saying it but TO ME it just isn't true.

See, for me, hillbilly and white trash and redneck do NOT apply to a certain region. You keep saying it but TO ME it just isn't true.

Hillbilly
Bald Knobber
Okie
Cracker

All (and more) are meant to be location specific.

Hillbilly
Bald Knobber
Okie
Cracker

All (and more) are meant to be location specific.

Bald Knobber? I've never heard that one before, I'll have to go look it up. As for cracker, doesn't that just mean a white person? Honestly, I'm not trying to be sarcastic or rude, I just thought cracker meant the same thing as honky..a white person.

it was in the white trash section of Sanford Fla. It was really strange to see this and sad in a way. They were large on very tall flag poles. Looking at the property it looked like the guy spent his last bit of money putting them up.
Great job trolling, Art!

I'm not even going to bother with this garbage.

ETA- Nine people liked my first post, why aren't you posting the same thing for all of them?

I'm done arguing with you. You're twisting my words and coming after me when more and more people are liking my original post. Find someone else to fight..I hope you find what you want.

You seem very proud of your "likes".

You are from Canada, right? When you are from an area where residents regularly are referred to in these terms, it does feel very regional. I have never heard someone from California or Colorado referred to as a hillbilly, but people from my area consistently are. I'm sure if most on the DIS heard my dialect/accent they would consider me one of these terms yet I am probably more educated that they are. So just because it is "for you" not applicable to a certain region, doesn't mean it isn't so.

For whatever region you are describing redneck is used to refer to a person who works outside doing manual labor, hillbilly is used to describe a person who is from the mountains. The problem comes with the term white trash and equating it to the others. That term is nasty and judgemental.

I am not the one who said the confederate flag made them think of "white trash, redneck, hillbilly, ignorant". You don't seem to understand that using hillbilly is wrong. They were the only part of the south who did not support the confederacy. How could the flag remind you of them?

Bald Knobber? I've never heard that one before, I'll have to go look it up. As for cracker, doesn't that just mean a white person? Honestly, I'm not trying to be sarcastic or rude, I just thought cracker meant the same thing as honky..a white person.

Cracker is basically the Georgia version of a Hillbilly. The locals in Deliverance were "crackers". "Cracker" has been co-opted to mean "white person" in derogatory fashion in recent years, but the term goes way back in Southeastern history.

No, just pointing out that if the person quoting me was looking for a drag out fight, there were other people to go after. I'm not into that.
I don't think anyone was looking for a "drag out fight". Anyway, why would they go after someone else when you were the one that posted it?

It doesn't really matter what any of us think about certain words or pieces of cloth. If people want to use them they will and they should be allowed to. I don't use any of it but I also don't get all bent out of shape about these things either. You can take away the words and the flags and the symbols but if a person is racist they will still be racist. At least now you have a chance of recognizing the racists.

And no, I don't think that everyone who flies the Confederate flag is racist.

Last edited:
Me either :confused3. Learn something new every day I guess. I've never associated any of the terms with a specific region/ location & I've heard them all used here except bald knobber. But that's what happens with words - they outgrow their origins and change meanings sometimes. Except a hoser will always be a hoser :rotfl2:.

Seriously though, as a student of languages it's always good to know what might take on a different meaning in a different place. Like saying tab$#%c in Québec. My French & origins are Belgian - I was all 'taberwhaat?'

You are from Canada, right? When you are from an area where residents regularly are referred to in these terms, it does feel very regional. I have never heard someone from California or Colorado referred to as a hillbilly, but people from my area consistently are. I'm sure if most on the DIS heard my dialect/accent they would consider me one of these terms yet I am probably more educated that they are. So just because it is "for you" not applicable to a certain region, doesn't mean it isn't so.

I can get why you wouldn't like the terms. But, if you aren't flying the flag in your front yard then I wouldn't use those terms to describe you. People sometimes think all Canadians are Eskimos who live in igloos.. do I let that offend me? NO

I saw a young man driving a jeep with no top- the confederate flag was attached to the bar right behind his head
The flag was enormous - when he drove by I could see the possibility of it wrapping around his head as he drove

I also unconsciously label guys like this as a form of lower class people

Cracker is basically the Georgia version of a Hillbilly. The locals in Deliverance were "crackers". "Cracker" has been co-opted to mean "white person" in derogatory fashion in recent years, but the term goes way back in Southeastern history.

I didn't know that, thank you :)

I don't think anyone was looking for a "drag out fight". Anyway, why would they go after someone else when you were the one that posted it?

Because if I wouldn't have posted apparently there are others that would have... and have by the way. I stand by what I said. I have not been rude, I have not called names even though some have called me names. I am allowed to have my opinions just as you and everyone else are allowed to have theirs. I guarantee you and others on this thread have opinions that I would find offensive and that's fine. It's what makes the world go round.

I also heard "Cracker" was derived from slave owners who would crack a whip to get their slaves to work harder

Wiki for what that's worth says this about the origins of "cracker":
It is probably derived from the verb to crack used in the sense "to boast" (as in not what it's cracked up to be) in Elizabethan times, documented in Shakespeare's King John (1595): "What cracker is this same that deafs our ears with this abundance of superfluous breath?"[4][5] This sense of cracker, used to describe loud braggarts, persisted especially in Hiberno-English and it, and its Gaelicized spelling craic, are still in use in Ireland, Scotland and Northern England.[6] This explanation is given in the earliest recorded reference to the term in the specific meaning under discussion here, in a letter dated 27 June 1766 by one G. Cochrane (in some sources identified as being addressed to the Earl of Dartmouth):

"I should explain to your Lordship what is meant by Crackers; a name they have got from being great boasters; they are a lawless set of rascalls on the frontiers of Virginia, Maryland, the Carolinas, and Georgia, who often change their places of abode."[3]

I could see the term wise-cracker coming from this.

It's interesting how words started out meaning one thing and twisted and turned into meaning something completely different.

I can get why you wouldn't like the terms. But, if you aren't flying the flag in your front yard then I wouldn't use those terms to describe you. People sometimes think all Canadians are Eskimos who live in igloos.. do I let that offend me? NO

I think where it straddles a fine line is when people use such words to describe themselves. People who embrace the term "redneck" are offended when the term is used as an insult.

Although, that's kind of ironic as I believe the term was meant to be an insult prior to people latching onto "redneckedness" (for lack of a better term) as something to achieve LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter