Scared Children on plane after 9/11

kathyclownfish

Mouseketeer
We are planning a trip in Nov to WDW. This will be our 2nd and the kids are so excited! But after 9/11, the idea of going on a airplane is frightening them. They certainly are old enough to understand that in all probability this wouldn't ever happen, but they are still scared. My DS (10) was even crying the other day just thinking about it, DD (12) is just okay about it. Any ideas on what to say to calm their nerves?? Thanks:bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce:

Don't talk to them about traveling there. Try and keep their minds off it.

Bring lots of fun stuff to do on the plane, like card games, drawing paper, books, and of course, your scedule. My younger sister (8) especially enjoys playing UNO on the plane, and listening to the radio.

Also, if you wanted to shell out the money, get a Game boy Advance. That would REALLY keep them occupied. Bring a portable CD player for the 12 year old if you have one. If you don't check target. We got a VERY nice cd/mp3 player for 50 dollars there once.

There's an Emerson Personal CD Player on amazon.com on clearance from Target for a little over $20 dollars. It looks like it's a nice one. Here: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...92097-1194412?v=glance&s=audio-video&n=172629

Game Boy Advance consoles from amazon.com are about $70 dollars. You could probably look at costco and find a package with a game, a light, the system, and some other cool stuff for about 85-100 dollars, though. Games are usually $20 and above for those.

hope I helped

When we went last May, my kids were a little nervous too. We talked to them about the new security procedures at the airport. We also told them it was okay to be nervous, but there was no reason that it should stop us from living our lives. We told them we wouldn't go if we didn't think it was safe.

I thought that recognizing their fear was healthy (I was nervous the first time I flew after 9/11 too).

Thanks for your replies!! I'm going to definately make them take their gameboys and CD players. Their grand mother is also going, so I know they want to be excited for her also.

Explaining to them that we wouldn't be going if it wasn't safe and reassuring them of this. . I guess is the way to go. I also am "a little" nervous too.
Thanks again
:D

We're in Middlesex County too, & have flown to WDW 3x since 9/11; on the first time (10/18/01), the kids weren't the only ones who were nervous, I was too. My DD is 16 & my DS is 5; DD wasn't concerned but DS was; I pointed out the security measures to him (Natl. Guardsmen, State Troopers, extra security checks) and he seemed to relax; we brought books & magazines, and favorite snacks. Since it's only a 2 1/2 hour flight, he was fine once we took off!! Hpoefully, your girls will be too!!

We flew to WDW 2 weeks after 9/11, and yes, we were all nervous. I was willing to postpone or cancel the trip, but the kids still really wanted to go. Their desire to go to WDW overruled their nervousness about flying. I was most concerned that *I* would have an emotional breakdown on the plane. I have a lot of trouble controlling my emotions. We kept busy when we got on the plane though...looking out the windows, figuring out what all the buttons do, etc. It went fine. DS even got a personalized tour of the cockpit.

I think it's important to address those feelings now rather than avoiding any discussion of them. Also, kids will pick up on you being nervous, so you need to take care to be calm about flying. My kids were scared about flying to see their dad this summer, so we talked about it. It was very reassuring to my 10 and 8 yr. olds that I felt safe flying and that I wouldn't send them if I felt is was unsafe. It's so obvious to parents, but kids need to hear that.

I know many people were shaken by the thought of flying after 9-11 and certainly understand why. I flew to AZ within 2 weeks of 9-11 but wasn't scared by it. I've flown several times since then and have been completely comfortable. The terrorists no longer have the element of surprise in the skies. That doesn't mean they won't try something like that again, but I think it's much more likely their target would be something new. They will be looking for us to have our guard down elsewhere. Our family driving 1100 mi. to WDW is in much more danger of injury than your family flying there, even given 9-11. I might sound naive, but I'm just not scared. I wish I could share the peaceful feeling I have with those who are still scared so they might feel calmed.

travelitis,

You are so on target.I have a child the same age as your oldest and avoiding the discussion would have just made him more anxious. Children are smart and their feeling will not go away because we do not talk about them. We drive to WDW but are planning a trip to NY and plan to fly. My DS has been so interested in all the 911 things during the past few weeks. WE bought him books and tried to answer questions. In order to deal with their fears, they have to face them.
I also remind DS that his parents would never allow him to do any thing we did not feel safe with and we also fall back to reminding him of our faith.
We have not been on a plane since 911 just because the need has not been there. Yes I will be a little nervious, but I was before too! I will share my feelings with DS but not let them control what we do.

What a great helpful thread.

Jordan's mom

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter