School now banning all "out of term" holiday leave

Status
Not open for further replies.
My kids go to an Easter club and a summer club. The company DH works for makes donations to local charities, so we nominated both churches and my eldest DD's Brownie group. They have all received sizeable donations from my Dh's employer. :thumbsup2 We didn't even realise Dh employer did this until last year!

mmmm - risk assessments may be box ticking, but they do show that someone has actually thought of the problems that may be encountered....

That is not what risk assesement is about, it is about identifying risks and putting measures in place. Merely thinking about them and documenting them is box ticking, @rse covering but not true risk assessing.

Where do you think the true bona fide risk assessment is done in this example of a bus? It is done at the design stage of the bus by other people not teachers. People falling on / off / during bus transportation is prevented by several design features. Floor not slippy, toe bars on edges of steps, steps not to steep or shallow and are elongated enough. The bus has adequate light (either artificial or enough surface area of windows). There are handrails to hold onto when getting off and on and travelling through the bus / coach. There is signage telling people to sit while the bus is moving etc..etc..etc.

All of these features make the overall risk of falling extreemly small hence no need to risk assess formally. How do we know its small? Well only a fraction of a % of people making a journey end up with an injury. Bus / coach companies dont winch people off and place special padded mats down for people getting off the bus, do they?

In this example where the teacher in question took the kids to a theatre on a coach and didnt even have to cross a road a formal risk assessmet is a waste of time. It is perfectly adequate for the teacher (within health and safety law **) to dynamically and non formally assess it at the time and put in the only control measure required which is to tell the kids to alight in an orderly fashion and hold the rail. You dont need to document that nor do you need a RA to identify the risk. To document this in some 15 - 20 page epic is as stupid as using the PUWER regs to identify that a teacher must be trained to use a pen before marking kids books with it and that the act of using a pen needs to be risk assessed. (though strictly true)

** The only bit Im unsure about this comment is if there are additions to regulations when groups of kids are involved

We had one (I was a parent helper) where a Y1 child fell down the steps to the coach toilet - while just getting off the bus, walking down the main aisle, turned to his mate, fell - and broke his arm

So what? Accidents happen. There are millions of coach journeys where this does not happen. Millions of people get off and on busses without falling. Those that do fall more often than not do not get hurt. It is an unbelievably small amount that do hence a risk assessment (formal documented one) is simply not required-

you can bet that was "risk assessed" properly for every subsequent trip and no further accidents of that nature have happened since - so they can be useful....

Exceptionally naive way of looking at it and almost certainly a view of someone who doesnt know an awefull lot about risk assesement. (no offence, you simply may never do them a lot) Look at it a different way, the journey was probably made many many times without incident WITHOUT as risk assessment. It is quite possible and even probable that the new risk assessment has achieved nothing and has nothing to do with the fact that there is no incidents recently.

Yes they are "silly things that could happen anywhere", but when my kids go on a trip, I'm glad someone has actually taken the time and thought of the risks and ticked the boxes... Kids are careless, accidents happen, but some can be protected against.

Tessa

If that rests your mind then so be it but sorry to burst your bubble it will have no actual effect unless there is some "meat" in the assessement. Things like getting off and on a bus do not require it. If the kids were going white water rafting or on some over night expedition then you would expect a significant risk assesement will all kinds of plans, preparation, contingencies etc..

Yep, but schools have to cover their backs to show that they did everything possible to ensure that the children were safe during the trip. We have "parental" responsibility for the children in our care - we have to show that we would consider the risks as a parent would. As other posters have said, they help to highlight any problems that you otherwise may not have considered (e.g. how do you safely get 60 school children across a busy main road?). Taking kids on a trip is stressful anyway.

Refer to my post above...no point regurgetating it all

As parents we do it all the time. For example, I will not, under any circumstances, allow my daughter to get out of the car on the "road side". She has to climb out on the pavement. The only differences are that I only have one child to keep an eye on and that I don't use a piece of paper to check the boxes. However I do appreciate the fact that she is as safe at school as anywhere else. Thanks teachers. :thumbsup2.

That is what is known as a dynamic risk assesment. Perfectly acceptable and usefull. Formally documenting it for the bus example is pointless much like if you wrote down in your house that you dont let your kids get out on the road side of the car also adds no value.

I know it's a pain and yes, a lot of it is a bit over the top, but better too much than too little when it comes to our kids.

I dissagree. Firstly going OTT discredits proper risk assessments and people can become complacent and treat them with contempt. Think of it as if every day the fire alarm went off because it was faulty, what will happen if the real thing occurs? People will just meander along dragging their heels. Secondly they take time that could be used for properly risk assessing something else. Say in our coach trip we got off and went white water rafting. By spending so much silly time doing a 15 pager on the act of getting the bus it is more likely that something gets missed on the actual thing that really does need risk assessing.

I can see why, sometimes get infuriated with all the red tape and as in the above case, on. :lmao:

A lot of the so called red tape is a bit of a myth. People go around claiming "its elf n safety gorn mad" but in reality its peoples misunderstanding of the rules and what is required therefore they go into overkill.

A lot of the so called red tape is a bit of a myth. People go around claiming "its elf n safety gorn mad" but in reality its peoples misunderstanding of the rules and what is required therefore they go into overkill.

Actually there is a lot of truth in that :) - but I think that discussion, which would get quite invovled, would require another thread. I suspect a discussion on actual government regulations vs perceived ones which are quoted as gospel by the majority of people (who have been given information selectively in such a way as to change the story entirely) may not be appropriate for this forum. Interesting, yes .... ;)

I'm involved in our church holiday club as we speak - still going strong with kids coming from all over our local villages. Such great fun and a great way of reaching out to the local community.

The main problem we had this time was every single helper had to be CRB checked regardless of having one with a different orgainsation, or even the same organisation. Those of us who are CRB checked for being volunteer helper in the church kids group week in, week out, still had to be checked, for doing this extra programme, even though it was with the same church.

Didn't deter us though and can't imagine it ever will!

The kids and I have been helpers at a community event run by local churches in the Summer hols for years. This started really small over 10 years ago, but is now huge, because of it's popularity. It offers kids clubs, and afternoon activities and entertainment for the adults; aswell as evening entertainment. Every volunteer has to be CRB checked, and that is an enormous expense that has to be accounted for in the budget, as mostly everything is free.

As for risk assessments', we have just acquired a new little kitty, who thinks she was Houdini in her previous life:) I am having to do a risk assessment everytime I leave her in a room by herself for a few mins!!!:laughing:

Jules x

This thread seems to be going seriously off topic over the last page or two so it would be a good idea to try to bring it back on track.
As 2Tiggies said if there are some of you that would like to discuss health and safety, task risk assessments or PUWER (Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations for those uninitiated amongst us ;)) then maybe this would be best served with its own thread in the community section.

I only asked what the consequences had been for people taking their children out of school during term time ;)

Its a shame I cant add the number of people who have posted to my question, on my thread count. Please :rolleyes1

This thread seems to be going seriously off topic over the last page or two so it would be a good idea to try to bring it back on track.
As 2Tiggies said if there are some of you that would like to discuss health and safety, task risk assessments or PUWER (Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations for those uninitiated amongst us ;)) then maybe this would be best served with its own thread in the community section.

so can I go back to writing about how teachers are lazy doppers who are failures in the hustle and bustle of real work thus choose to teach for an easy life :rotfl:

Right, lets keep this thread open and on topic. Anyone else want to share some views or personal experiences on term time holidays? :goodvibes

Right, lets keep this thread open and on topic. Anyone else want to share some views or personal experiences on term time holidays? :goodvibes

yup

mine were great. Much cheaper, little or no queues and the weather was just great, not to hot nor cold. Awesome.

I only asked what the consequences had been for people taking their children out of school during term time ;)

Its a shame I cant add the number of people who have posted to my question, on my thread count. Please :rolleyes1

worst case scenario ? your child will llose their place at school, and be offered another school place at a school the other side of the borough, you will be fined and possibly put in prison. you will be branded as bad parents, ewo (educational welfare officer) and social services may be involved.
that was the worst case scenario.

is that back on thread enough???

yup

mine were great. Much cheaper, little or no queues and the weather was just great, not to hot nor cold. Awesome.

My thoughts exactly :thumbsup2

You know if the Weather in August was the same as October I would deal with the crowds and make use of been able to go for 4/5 weeks at a time, but for us as a family October in one word is PERFECT !!!

My thoughts exactly :thumbsup2

You know if the Weather in August was the same as October I would deal with the crowds and make use of been able to go for 4/5 weeks at a time, but for us as a family October in one word is PERFECT !!!
We tend to go in August but I would not be opposed to going in term time, my DS12 would be though as he really likes to achieve his 100% attendence. I can think of many reasons why i would prefer term time weather, crowds, price but over the years we have got used to it. One year we went to Spain in August & the heat was unbearable, really ruined the holiday. We went in term time when DS was 7 as we were going with family & my mum & dad wouldn't have coped with the heat. We had no problem with the school, just filled in a form & it was authorised. I think everyone needs to decide what's best for their own family & be willing to fight for their right to decide if an absence is refused.

A parent governor at my DD's school has just had his request for 4 days refused. His mother is getting married abroad, so he had no choice about dates and he obviously wants to take his children to the wedding. They got a standard letter saying that their children's attendance would be closely monitored in future. He felt really slighted as he sees this as a necessary circumstance and he was offended as his children are model students with an exemplary attendance record. I told him to ignore it and enjoy the wedding.:thumbsup2

I think more Headteachers are adopting this zero-tolerance policy. It wouldn't deter me, as I would see it as a matter of courtesy only to inform the Head about my holiday dates. :confused3

Today I have had a student - second year sixth form/year 13 which ever way you like it casually drop into conversation at the end of the lesson at the very end of the day (and his last lesson with me this week) that he won't be here next week as he'll be on holiday in New York ... its his birthday treat (for a birthday last December!) and he's already had 7 days off this year for holidays plus numerous other random illness days. The reality of sixth form education is that there are 30/31 weeks teaching from September to the start of the A level exams. He's now missed close on 10% of the year to go on holiday - and I was expected to produce all of next weeks lesson notes for him there and then (which I was able to do) so he didn't miss anything!!

sorry janie, but i would not have done that, give him the work i mean. if that makes me i bad teacher, so be it, but at that age they are there by choice, and its a contract, you agree to be there to teach them, and they agree to be there and learn.
they are not furfilling there part of the contract, im suprised he still gets ema (if thats the case) and that his place is still available to him...
ok flame suit ready...whos first?

sorry janie, but i would not have done that, give him the work i mean. if that makes me i bad teacher, so be it, but at that age they are there by choice, and its a contract, you agree to be there to teach them, and they agree to be there and learn.
they are not furfilling there part of the contract, im suprised he still gets ema (if thats the case) and that his place is still available to him...
ok flame suit ready...whos first?

No flames from me, I'm still worrying about my prison sentence :eek:

No flames from me, I'm still worrying about my prison sentence :eek:

as i stated in a previous statement, i have a girl in my tutor group who has had an attendance since sept of less than 60% she has a ewo, but no fines and deff no prison. i gave you the worst case scenario.... trust me if your kids have attendance above 95% the school will not even blink an eye;)

We're simply going back over old ground as far as the original topic is concerned. Everyone who wanted to have their say on that has had ample opportunity to do so - the thread has been active for well over two weeks - and it really has run its course now. Thanks for everyone's contributions. :thumbsup2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter