Scoop pins...

I know that's how I feel about my "Scoop" pin. It was not just an award to me, but a gift. And when a gift is given from the heart, that makes it priceless to me.

It has been mentioned on this board before, that Scoop gives thought to who he awards this pin to. It is not done on a whim.

I know I have quite a few pins that have been "gifted" to me. Some are my favorite, Pooh, while others are not. Take for example the Chip and Dale surprise pin. The day that was released, Fred and I were at the contemporary meet. A fella told us about them. But when Fred went to get us a couple for traders, they were gone already. About a hour or so later, we got a call that my mom had fallen. The fella came up and asked if we were able to get the pin. We said no, and that we had to leave. He asked what happened. When I told him, he reached in his pocket and "gifted" me with one of the pins. Now if we had been able to buy the pins, they would have been used for traders as I do not collect Chip and Dale. I still have this pin, and will never trade it because of the thought that was behind it. When I look at that pin, I have a sweet memory. The only thing I CAN"T remember is his NAME!! LOL!

Anyway, long story short, Treasures are in the heart of the recipient.

My Scoop pin is a treasure!
Winnie

Did anyone else get a spam mail today advertising this auction? I have my email address listed on pinpics and the Scoop pin in my wants list.... so, I'm putting two and two together here. I'm assuming the mail is from the seller to try to drum up more business.

Yes, I got the e-mail too--it was deleted immediately. It's not the same pin (to me) unless it was awarded to me by Scoop himself or given to me "for a magic moment" by another trader. I don't really trade at WDW (on-line only) and I am not in Scoop's general vicinity much, so I am pretty sure I will never be awarded one, and even though I would love to have one, I would NEVER buy one--it defeats the intended purpose of the pin!!!

Kim

Kim,

Exactly. And it just kinda bugs me that the seller is spamming people using their pinpics info to try to drive the price up.

When Scoop orginally posted to the board about no one putting it on their "wants" list, I replied that it didn't seem right to have it on a wants list for a trading board, cause it really doesn't seem like something you should trade for. Either it's awarded to you or it isn't. But he said it was ok, so I put it on there :D

And maybe the other posters are right and this person is trying to put food on the table - I can't know for sure. But this last step just seems a bit slimy to me....

Julie

Ok - if you've been spammed (soliciting a bid for this auction) please forward to ebay (it is against their policy).

Thnks!

Hey there Beautiful People,

I also was spammed. We really don't know the situation on why the seller is selling this pin. It could be for a number of reasons, but if purchased by a certain Ebay seller, all this seller will do is relist the pin in a month and start the bidding at double what if finally sells for.

A while back I was trying to win a Disney Auction Belle pin LE100 for my daughters collection and I was outbid buy another Ebay seller. All this person did was relist the pin on their Auction site at double the price. Made me mad.

If I were one of the chosen few to be awarded a pin from Scoop, you better believe that pin would never leave my side.

There isn't a price for such an honor!

Joey

Please remember that most of the people who get awarded these scoop pins are part of the "inner Circle". Most Outsiders will never get awarded these pins. I talked to a few traders who have these pins and they have told me that they have 2-3 of these pins. So if it is so special then why are people awarded multiples?I love trading pins eventhough my name says otherwise, but I do not like the inner circle atmosphere at some of these pin trading locations. So whoever wants to buy or sell this pin should do so if they feel like it without feeling like a jerk. By the way Stop making this Scoop guy into some god.

I don't get where you say that most of the people who have gotten the Scoop pin are insiders..yes I would say that the people who are often at the pin meets, have a greater chance then someone in Kalamazoo to receive the pin..but they are not "insiders" I have Scoop give most of his pins away to people that he has never met before, to give them the opportunity to have one for their own..also a large number have been given to children..

Then there are the games they play at the pin meets to win one..(of course they could have ringers in there that I don't know off)

We attend almost every Sunday pin meet, and it gives us the opportunity to meet people from all over the country, and see how excited they are to be at the meet they hear of all the time, and be part of the fun we usually have...I have yet to see Scoop come out in a robe and a sceptre, and annoint any of us..(of course I have missed some of the meets, but I'm sure if that had happened I would have heard about it)

Scoop does not pretend to be a God, or do we think of him as one...Gods' usually don't get themselves involved in donut fights.. he is a good friend of mine, and all pin traders..he has kept pin trading alive, and gotten people understanding, pin trading, and staying involved when they may have just given up..

He is a very generous person, and has given many of his "good" pins away, just because.. and when this person leaves Main Street, and is trading somewhere else, he is not Scoop, and is just a pin trader just live the rest of us, who practices fair pin trading....Just because he is "Scoop" it doesn't mean he should give his pins away, as I wouldn't be giving mine away..

I would like to see how many people have been awarded 2 or 3 pins speak up, because it hasn't happened...there were some extra pins awarded at the original introduction of the pin, but they were to be used to create Magical Moments for traders who may not be able to make it to the meets, and deserve a pin...this has been explained into the ground in other posts..

The reason people feel the way they do about the Scoop pin, is ..it is a special pin just for pin traders..designed for the character that many of us have enjoyed for years, and it is close to our hearts...you have your HG, this is ours... If you can't understand it, don't criticize those of us who feel the way we do about it...

*clap* *clap* *a round of applause* *clap* *clap*

well said Donna...:)

Buggin'
Amber

I've been to ONE Scoop seminar - met him then, not before - and was awarded a Scoop pin, not because of some "insider" connection. I know of several others awarded the pins that had no connection to Scoop whatsoever, and will never see him again.

I too saw him trade out of character (I didn't trade with him at that time, was watching acroos the room) and would definitely not characterize him as unfriendly. No he's not a god, and none of us say he is. But the awarding of the pin, like a CTT, is special.

If scoop were a god I would have been struck by lightning for giving him a heart attack (I was trying to scare someone else and he was near by) and Ed would have been killed by flying doughnuts.

As Ivanova said, many of the people who are awarded these pins have never met Scoop before so there's no way that they could be considered part of whatever "Inner Circle." If Scoop personally knew everyone that he awarded a pin to do you think that there would be a pin up on ebay?

The people that were given more than one were given an extra one to help spread the magical moments around to people who don't get a chance to go to one of the seminars.

Becky

DONNA!! YOU GO GIRL!!!

I have edited myself, as I did not want to come across hateful or mean. Sorry if I did. I am sorry that you "pin hater" feel as you do. Really I am. This "inner-circle" you speak of as is mentioned by Ed two posts down... is a fantastic group of honest and fair pin traders. Pretty much all are "scoopies" and very well deserving of it. But beyond this, they are my friends. As Ed said, Fred and I are very much involved in our church, thru missions, music, youth and food service. So before we got into this hobby, most of our friends were "church related". Since last year, these litttle pieces of metal have turned these pin traders into close personal friends. And that list of friends keeps growing. And I welcome you to our inner circle. It is a wonderful place to be!!!

But anyway, Donna has summed it up for the majority of us. And as we have said in the past we will keep saying, "Some people just don't get it!!", and probably never will.

Blessings to those of us who do!
Winnie

Well, guessing it's a regular, not wanting to get flamed under their recognizable board name. And there is nothing wrong with them getting something off their chest.
Scoop is certainly no god, as he would be the first to admit. (Like I personally REALLY know the guy ;) ) But he does seem to be the epitomy of a CM, those great people we all know and appreciate!
I am pretty sure I was awarded my Scoop through a suggestion from an inner circle ;) member. And THANK YOU to that person AND Scoop! ;) :jester: That and I just happened to be at the right place at the right time. Same with being Grand Marshals that day.
We all know someone is out for a fast buck. But it's their pin. They can do with what they want.
Agree, if I was REALLY needing $, I would sell many little pins in a lot before selling my Scoop pin.
Who wants a pin that reads my name on the back of it anyway? ;) :jester: It's just a dirty old used pin. :jester:

I have been silent on this issue for a while and will continue to be... But we have let it run on and not closed it because we are a Discussion Board and this is a topic we are discussing. I would like to remind everyone to keep it civil and while talking about a Disney character or a Pin is one thing but no personal name calling or attacks are allowed on the DIS. Just remember we are not all going to agree all the time and there is always going to be another side to any point.

Sigh… Okay I’ll post… in my world I live in a land where everybody gets along and we all like each other. In the real world you will never get everybody to like each other there is always a reason why we like this person, or that person, and not like this one or that one.

Pin Hater you are obviously one of us, you have a reason for venting, and more power to you. Maybe your reason is you didn’t get a Scoop pin, well there are hundreds of people that did not get and will not get a Scoop pin there are only 750 of the darn things and like 20 got burned in the oven while being colored. (sorry Scoop)

I’ll try to explain it as I see it. Getting a Scoop pin is like getting a CTT you are being recognized for doing something that merits the award just being a pin trader is not enough… I’ll give you examples.

All of us down here get together and help plan events for the visiting pin traders, we work with kids, I myself am lucky enough to have the finances to be able to afford giving pins to kids that do not have the resources to get them, Donna spends most of her time helping out of town visitors doing whatever is needed to make sure their visit is magical, we have opened our house and home to anybody that maybe cant afford the hotel rates and if staying with us add another day to the parks that’s great and why we do it.

The list is endless, and as it relates to Disney stuff… well a small examples would be say Michael working with Larry helping get things for kids in the Hospitals, Donna and I work closely with Arnold Palmer Children’s hospital and other kid organizations like make a wish, Bob and June work with their church and the youth group, Winnie and Fred work very closely with their church as well, Donna from Dizpins and Figgy spends days and hours of their own time helping organize events for other visiting pin people and their kids, The members of the three caballeros and Dom spend much of their time involved in various pin project all aimed at helping other pin traders, heck to list Dom’s accomplishments I would need 10 more pages alone, Amber and Joanne, Dana and her family, Manny and Michelle, Jimmy and Heather, Jim, Bill, Larry Joette, Ralph, the list goes on and on all do so many things for other people.

So if this is the inner circle you speak of… Why yes I’m a proud member, but membership is free, and anybody can join.

As for Scoop being a god nooooo a saint maybe, but not a god, nobody I know does more for pin trading than Scoop, and a lot of it is on his own time and at his own expense. Yes he is a friend, and I have traded with him as a regular pin person, also I have watched him trade. The key point to him trading is he knows his pins and knows what to trade for yes, some pros do not like this, but the first thing Scoop taught me was you cant always trade up sometimes you need to give some back. I was sworn to secrecy, but I know a little something you all don’t, like my friend’s holy grail forever was Mickey for President, try as they could they could not get it… Well Guess what it was on Scoops lanyard and it was his own personal pin, and yep he gave… Key word gave them the pin, and no other was required in exchange just plain ole gave them a Mickey for President. That doesn’t sound like a rough person to trade with to me.

So in conclusion sorry you feel that way, come join the inner circle its fun. You probably are reading this and saying dude you’re so full of it, that’s your opinion I could stay quiet and say nothing and trade with you and go about my life and not ever know who you are. I had a person that could not stand me and posted some stuff way back when, I have since then gotten to know that person, traded with them, and I wave every time I see them know them by name and like them. Do they like me? Who knows? Who cares I like them that’s I care about.

But if by starting this thread you wanted to do some reverse psychology thing, and start a we love Scoop thread I think it worked, so good job.

A person (not sure if it is the same as the person as the one who posted here) posted a similar post on another board and it was deleted so he/she probably came here to stir things up a bit. The post was deleted along with the responses to the post.

That's the reason I love this board so much because you are allowed the freedom to speak and Nat provides an example of that by not deleting or closing this thread. Keep up the GREAT job Nat!!

You can't take away anything from Scoop. He does an awesome job. But I feel a lot of CM's at WDW do a great job. To all CM's, keep up the GREAT work!!

2 issues I have with these Scoop pins.

The first happened to me a few months ago. I made a trade on paper with a friend of mine. He already was awarded a Scoop pin and made a trade with one of the “ambassadors”, a HG pin for a second Scoop pin. He was going to trade the second Scoop pin to me. I posted on the boards “Hey, did you know you can trade for these Scoop pins after all?” This was before it was a known fact. Next thing I know the whole thing was called off because of my post. So the close Scoop community put the heat on him to call off the deal because of my post. He had no choice because being in the inner circle, risked being cut off. Lesson: Keep mouth closed.

The second thing that bothers me about the Scoop pins is that Scoop stated over and over to all Scoop receipients that the pin was not to be traded or sold, ever. That was the one underlining statement that I got out of the 2 days of pin talks. BUT, there always is a but, it's okay for pin ambassador and inner scoopies with extra ones to trade it away. So then why complain when it ends up on eBay. It can’t be both ways. And yes - I know someone who has more than one Scoop pin and no, they were not at the first event where 2 were given to each person. But the bottom line is that they are Scoop's pins to do with what he wants.

Okay, I said my piece.

Well, this post has certainly generated controversy and strong emotions. I'm going to wade right in, even though I'm still relatively new to you guys, as maybe my perspective is somewhat different. I have never met Scoop, evn though my 14 year old was awarded a Scoop pin. My son is a true pin lover, right down to the 50 lb. pin vest, worn happily during the hottest days. He is a kind and happy boy and I'm sure these are some of the qualities that Scoop saw in him when he gave him the pin. I am grateful for that kindness to a child. So on the merits of being a stand up guy to my kid, Scoop's OK in my book.
On the other side of the coin, I could understand Pin Hater's use of the "inner circle" . His or her problem is, that they never bothered to get to know any of you, and went right on to pass judgement. I remember telling Peggie, when I first started posting, that I felt a little like an outsider as everyone seemed to be such a close knit group, and it felt awkward trying to "break in". She was so welcoming, as have been all of you who I have had the pleasure of talking to, that the inner circle notion was very quickly dispelled. I am looking forward to meeting many of you some day and count you among my friends, even though I have never met any of you!

I do not have any problems with the "inner Circle". I met many wonderful traders at WDW, DL and the internet. They are loads of fun! All I mean is that most of the people who have the multiple Scoop pins are from the "circle". I know Scoop awards them to other traders that are not in the circle. I did not post because I did not get a Scoop pin and I am upset. I posted because many of you were passing judgements on the person who was selling the pin on Ebay. Let people do whatever they want with their pins without passing judgement. I did not mean to ruffle some feathers with my post. I thank you all for allowing me to post and I apologize if I offended anyone. I am not one to be always share the popular view.

Pin Hater - I am sure you are not alone in your views. I have had discussions with other pin traders about how they really feel about the scoop pin, the inner circle and Scoop but they would never think of posting it on the boards, especially with their real name.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter