Scooter Tips?

So am I the only person who hates that back-up beeper? It's bad enough having to back up (a skill that I do not possess) without that beeper drawing everyone's attention to me. I know why it's necessary, but man I would do everything in my power sometimes to avoid backing up just because I didn't want to hear that sound. LOL

You just have to take this stuff with a grain of salt. I've been doing this at Disneyland in Anaheim for a couple of years so I'm pretty good at it mostly...backing up can be tricky though. One time a lady ran into me and yelled at me to use my horn....I did! she either couldn't hear me or didn't hear me. Ah well.....that's the way it goes.:flower1:

Very true. I’ve been using a scooter for probably 15 years now. I just bought a replacement that’s a Fold & Go Wheelchair. I use it on cruises, at Sea World, on the River Walk, Disney, anywhere I have to walk distances and for the most part, people have been very nice.

I see more hateful stuff posted online than ever happens in person. I guess people are “anonymous” when online and don’t mind being hateful and mean. I figure it’s their problem, not mine.

So am I the only person who hates that back-up beeper? It's bad enough having to back up (a skill that I do not possess) without that beeper drawing everyone's attention to me. I know why it's necessary, but man I would do everything in my power sometimes to avoid backing up just because I didn't want to hear that sound. LOL

Mine doesn’t have a back up beeper, when I use the one in the grocery store, ugh! I’m with you. I despise it!

LOL when I bought my (first) Travelscoot, the number one thing on my list of questions was "Does it beep or honk when you back up?" When I asked the guy who answered the phone at the office, he said "Do *you* beep or honk when *you* walk backwards?" LOL and I knew it was all over except for the shipping LOL

Very true. I’ve been using a scooter for probably 15 years now. I just bought a replacement that’s a Fold & Go Wheelchair. I use it on cruises, at Sea World, on the River Walk, Disney, anywhere I have to walk distances and for the most part, people have been very nice.

I see more hateful stuff posted online than ever happens in person. I guess people are “anonymous” when online and don’t mind being hateful and mean. I figure it’s their problem, not mine.

I think they are "braver" hiding behind their keyboards... it's (relatively) easy to anonymously bully someone on the internet; you don't have to see their face, or their family when you "own" them or "cancel" them. You can say hateful, horrible things, and block their responses, and go about your day feeling proud of yourself for being a jerk.

Those people who behave like that? Hurting someone else to feel better about yourself is about someone who has a big problem, and it isn't actually the person they are bullying... It's the person who looks back at them in the mirror.

LOL when I bought my (first) Travelscoot, the number one thing on my list of questions was "Does it beep or honk when you back up?" When I asked the guy who answered the phone at the office, he said "Do *you* beep or honk when *you* walk backwards?" LOL and I knew it was all over except for the shipping LOL

Great answer! We were very lucky to inherit this scooter from a friend and I love everything about it otherwise. Maybe I should see if there's a way to disable it. :)

I think they are "braver" hiding behind their keyboards... it's (relatively) easy to anonymously bully someone on the internet; you don't have to see their face, or their family when you "own" them or "cancel" them. You can say hateful, horrible things, and block their responses, and go about your day feeling proud of yourself for being a jerk.

Those people who behave like that? Hurting someone else to feel better about yourself is about someone who has a big problem, and it isn't actually the person they are bullying... It's the person who looks back at them in the mirror.

Very true. I had a keyboard bully ranting about “fat, lazy people on scooters” on a post I was reading. I had to respond. Later that day, I got a private message from the young man apologizing to me. He had just jumped on the band wagon without thinking about how those who are in wheelchairs/scooters cannot actually get the exercise an able-bodied person can.

Many thanks to @mamabunny for great information. One question -- I noted in your post this statement:
The exception is Riviera - they cannot stop the Skyliner there, and so loading/unloading is only done while moving (and so mobility devices are not loaded there).
My partner needs to use an ECV (she's a disabled Veteran) for places like WDW where lots of walking is required. We're staying at the Riviera and I had counted on being able to take the ECV on the Skyliner. What do ECV users do at the Riviera? Any information would be much appreciated.

Many thanks to @mamabunny for great information. One question -- I noted in your post this statement:

My partner needs to use an ECV (she's a disabled Veteran) for places like WDW where lots of walking is required. We're staying at the Riviera and I had counted on being able to take the ECV on the Skyliner. What do ECV users do at the Riviera? Any information would be much appreciated.

I haven’t stayed at the Rivera, but I would assume they still have buses. I don’t know if that means you would need to take a bus to the transportation center and transfer…

My suggestion, call the Rivera and ask them how to navigate to and from the parks with an ECV. The hotels have all been very helpful when I’ve called.

We visited the Riviera during our trip in April. I use a Whill Ci and had no trouble getting to Riviera and getting back to HS using the Skyliner...they do load mobility devices at Riviera.

Mobility devices are loaded onto the Skyliner at Riviera. It is true they do not have the pull-off loading at Riviera that other stops have, but the Skyliner cars slow to a crawl while going through the Riviera station. Mobility devices do load while moving at this station, but it is during a very very slow crawl.

LOL blame my friend @Selket up there - they forgot that, like Beetlejuice, if you say my name, I'm gonna show up...

How To ECV at Disney World ™

We often talk about "turtle speed" here, and that means turning your speed control all the way down to the slowest setting for safety.

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

It's a wonder that Disney hasn't decided to sell tickets for the spectacular that is the bus deploying/retracting the ramp!

So, ignore them - and at the Resort Hotel, make sure you are parked in the white painted rectangle HA symbol ♿ at the bus stop (unless another guest beat you to it) so that the driver sees you...

When you are at the base of the ramp, try to go right up the center. At the top of the ramp you will typically have to turn a bit to the right. GO SLOWLY, especially until you are used to the ECV. (This is a moment where "turtle speed" is your new best friend!)

Once you are parked, you can take a seat on the bus, if you want to. The bus driver will "tie down" the ECV, by clipping on the tensioned belts down at the wheel level, front and back. If you decide to sit on the ECV during transit, the driver will also offer you a seat belt to help hold you securely in place as the bus moves through traffic.

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

When crossing the train tracks embedded in Main Street at MK, be sure to cross at an angle. Otherwise, you risk the wheel(s) getting caught, and you could find yourself dumped rather unceremoniously onto Main Street. Everyone wants to have an unforgettable trip - just for the right reasons!

Mama is correct, as a newbie, SLOW and GO is your best friend.
There is a, um, er, a "horn" on the ECV. Push the button if needed. Everyone around you will ignore you. But someone will say "Um, maybe I'm in somebody's way" and turn around. Watch for people who's heads are in their phones or tablets.

Charge it fully every night.

It really is amazing how the bus works. It fascinates me every time I see it. Some people say I need to find something better to do with my spare time, lol.

You won't see anyone staring at you when you board a bus. Your back is to them. If anyone says anything to you, just say "Talk to the bus driver, he's the one who instructed me to get on first."

What you're going to do is parallel park on the left/driver's side. It's easy and a driver will help you steer if needed. Just go slow. They will ask you to turn the ECV off and some drivers wsill ask you to take your key out. DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT let the bus driver take your key. If they insist, get off the bus and take the next one.

I had a driver take my key, she took both keys (this bus had two ECV's on it) and when it came time for me to disembark she couldn't find my key. I own my ECV and I always carry two spare keys and one in my purse. Disney had to pay to buy me a new key.

Someone else said that scooter companies use the same keys. They don't, the brands do. I have a Buzzaround from Golden Technologies. Every Buzzaround uses the same key. Like mama said, mark your scooter with a ribbon on the handlebars or something similar.

Getting off is easy. Back up all the way until you GENTLY touch the back against the wall. Then when stopped turn the front of your ECV all the way to the right. It's going to seem like you're not going to make it fit. Don't worry, you will. The buses are designed for this. Again, go slow (your best friend) and move forward and straighten out on the ramp and off the bus you go.

Like mama said, be aware of crossing the train tracks on Main St in MK. Cross at a 90 degree angle is best, otherwise you may tip the ECV over.

You are not the pack nule for everyone in your party. Added weight reduces battery life.
The basket is small. I have a Mickey Mouse Dooney purse, it's 10" wide and doesn't fit sideways.

If you can, get a cup holder. The basket will hold a covered cup or mug but they can tip over and at the worst possible times.

In case I didn't mention it, Charge it fully every night.

Yes, all these happened to me at some point in some way.

I was so scared when I was going to get off, then on the skyliner at Riviera. I'd read that-"What? They don't stop it?!" Turns out, I was fine. As someone here said, they slow it to a crawl-and I mean a CRAWL. Actually, if I hadn't read about them not stopping it, I would have said they had. I predict she'll be OK.

Very true. I had a keyboard bully ranting about “fat, lazy people on scooters” on a post I was reading. I had to respond. Later that day, I got a private message from the young man apologizing to me. He had just jumped on the band wagon without thinking about how those who are in wheelchairs/scooters cannot actually get the exercise an able-bodied person can.
It’s great that he apologized. I’m glad to hear it. Really. And good for you for responding. But I would hope he’d also apologize publicly in the thread and not just in a PM to you. He has no idea how many other people he also offended even though they didn’t all respond as you did.

It’s great that he apologized. I’m glad to hear it. Really. And good for you for responding. But I would hope he’d also apologize publicly in the thread and not just in a PM to you. He has no idea how many other people he also offended even though they didn’t all respond as you did.

You are right. He should’ve apologized to everyone.

ECV users use the Skyliner just like everyone else, the difference is they don't completely stop at the Riviera station, they just slow to a crawl, which is so slow it might as well be stopped. Also, if it is taking a while to get a Gondola that will be pulled off at the other end (sometimes an issue at Riviera), you can request to be out on a Gondola that will be slowed down when you get off at your destination and that can be faster.

Mama is correct, as a newbie, SLOW and GO is your best friend.
There is a, um, er, a "horn" on the ECV. Push the button if needed. Everyone around you will ignore you. But someone will say "Um, maybe I'm in somebody's way" and turn around. Watch for people who's heads are in their phones or tablets.

It really is amazing how the bus works. It fascinates me every time I see it. Some people say I need to find something better to do with my spare time, lol.

You won't see anyone staring at you when you board a bus. Your back is to them. If anyone says anything to you, just say "Talk to the bus driver, he's the one who instructed me to get on first."

What you're going to do is parallel park on the left/driver's side. It's easy and a driver will help you steer if needed. Just go slow. They will ask you to turn the ECV off and some drivers wsill ask you to take your key out. DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT let the bus driver take your key. If they insist, get off the bus and take the next one.

I had a driver take my key, she took both keys (this bus had two ECV's on it) and when it came time for me to disembark she couldn't find my key. I own my ECV and I always carry two spare keys and one in my purse. Disney had to pay to buy me a new key.

Someone else said that scooter companies use the same keys. They don't, the brands do. I have a Buzzaround from Golden Technologies. Every Buzzaround uses the same key. Like mama said, mark your scooter with a ribbon on the handlebars or something similar.

Getting off is easy. Back up all the way until you GENTLY touch the back against the wall. Then when stopped turn the front of your ECV all the way to the right. It's going to seem like you're not going to make it fit. Don't worry, you will. The buses are designed for this. Again, go slow (your best friend) and move forward and straighten out on the ramp and off the bus you go.

Like mama said, be aware of crossing the train tracks on Main St in MK. Cross at a 90 degree angle is best, otherwise you may tip the ECV over.

You are not the pack nule for everyone in your party. Added weight reduces battery life.
The basket is small. I have a Mickey Mouse Dooney purse, it's 10" wide and doesn't fit sideways.

If you can, get a cup holder. The basket will hold a covered cup or mug but they can tip over and at the worst possible times.

In case I didn't mention it, Charge it fully every night.

Yes, all these happened to me at some point in some way.
In case no one else mentions it:
Charge the scooter every night fully.

Mobility devices are loaded onto the Skyliner at Riviera. It is true they do not have the pull-off loading at Riviera that other stops have, but the Skyliner cars slow to a crawl while going through the Riviera station. Mobility devices do load while moving at this station, but it is during a very very slow crawl.

I will update my notes for this - thanks! ❤

I was so scared when I was going to get off, then on the skyliner at Riviera. I'd read that-"What? They don't stop it?!" Turns out, I was fine. As someone here said, they slow it to a crawl-and I mean a CRAWL. Actually, if I hadn't read about them not stopping it, I would have said they had. I predict she'll be OK.

There *are* some folks (like me) who can't deal with *backing* a mobility device off of a Skyliner while moving; it's just too much to visually process. I could *maybe* try to drive on, and hit the right spot to land between the benches going in, but backing out while moving - even slowly - is just not safe for me.

If someone has issues with dizziness (when turning their head too fast, for example) or any other visual issues that could be triggered by trying to drive/back up/move all at the same time, they might want to reconsider not using Riviera only for that reason.

Last I heard, ECVs and wheelchairs still have to be driven on in the "forward" position when loading, and we are not allowed to back in. If that has changed, then I could possibly load "backwards" at another station, and then drive "out" (facing forwards) at Riviera. Otherwise I will only see that station from inside a Skyliner.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter