Scooter/Wheelchair Advice

Yinn

DIS Veteran
Background: I have a condition that prevents me from standing for long periods of time or it triggers a flare up, but I otherwise have mobility. My family has been pressing me to utilize a scooter or wheel chair but I have been stubborn about it. I'm young, in relatively good shape, I'm perfectly capable of walking, running, jumping - I can even do extreme sports if I desired, but I just need to moderate it. I have not felt like I needed one, I don't feel like I am disabled, nor do I feel I am handicapped and quite frankly feel embarrassed enough with the stares we get when we utilize a DAS - not for me, my wife has a non-mobility disability but everyone assumes it's me when I'm the one limping.

We do Disney several times a year and we're park warriors and I've been able to manage it well despite it. But this last time was different and ended with me in extreme pain by the end of day 3 of our 7 day trip. I had pushed it too far, it was a challenge getting back to the hotel and I wasn't able to recover for the rest of the trip... I realized then it may be time to get over my own pride.

Question:
I have never utilized either a scooter nor a wheelchair and hoping I can get some advice from users on the board. I still have mobility so in my head I'm thinking - well if we go to a sit down meal, I don't need to wheel in. I'll park it (with the strollers?) and walk in. Or if it's a crowd store, etc. Is that frowned upon? I'm admittedly a little nervous knowing that my need is a part time need and want to make sure I'm not doing anything to impose or worse be seen as mocking someone who may have a full time need.

- Is there a list somewhere that shows which rides accommodate wheels in line and which needs to be parked/where to park them?
- Are there any specific etiquettes that I should be aware of?
- Wheelchair or scooter? Or open to other suggestions.
- Rent or buy?

Thank you!

*Most rides let you wheel in and then at some point ask if you can transfer or walk to the doom buggy or whatever. There is parking outsides restaurants so you can walk in.

*Be aware that people will walk in front of you like you are not there. Sit up straight and greet others guests with a smile even if they are jerks! Try not to stop in the middle of a walkway...just like walkers. Watch for kiddos as they can do unexpected moves.

*An ECV is about $53 (w/tax) and wheelchair is about $15. GET AN ECV if you are doing a full day. If you leave a park and return let them know and they will hold it for you. If you leave a park and later go to another or DS your receipt will allow you pick up a replacement (same day) for no additional charge. Beware that there may be long waits so be early if possible. If you have an ECV and say are returning for a meal and can use a wheelchair they will gladly let you get one if ECV's are gone.

*Rent at the parks so you don't have to take one with you. I struggle to get to the entrance but just don't want the hassle of getting on a bus or putting it in a rental car.

Age has nothing to do with it! This is YOUR vacation and YOUR hard earned money so you should enjoy it as much as possible. Also, a wheelchair is difficult for someone else to push, and why I recommend an ECV except for a quick stay. I tie a ribbon or put battery operated lights on the ECV so I can quickly identify it. Taking a picture of the back with the number may help as well. I also bring a clip with me (like those used in hiking get at $ store) so I can clip a backpack in the basket which just makes it a bit harder for someone to grab...sad but true.

Enjoy your trip and remember, you will never see these other guests again so just have fun with your group!

:cheer2:

Yeah ... I was like you. I have a bad knee that simply cannot take the miles of walking at WDW. I used a cane for 2 years because I was too stubborn to rent a scooter. Once I did, I didn't look back.

Since I can walk, I will usually park it outside while I go into restaurants. I will ride it through most lines because most queues are scooter friendly except a few in the MK. The CMs take the scooter at the front of the line when I board and it's waiting for me at the end of the ride.

I always rent from Gold Mobility which is about $160-$230 per week (depending on their promo). I don't mind parking it in my room or taking it on the bus to ensure that I have a scooter when I need it. I usually let the bus driver park it for me as it's faster and folks waiting can get on the bus faster.

You may park the scooter and walk whenever you feel like it. Or your wife can drive it for a bit while you walk. Parking is often with strollers but the CMs will let you know. Restaurants will actually prefer if you park it and walk to your table, but if you are having a high pain day and need it to get to your table that is allowed too.

Using a tool means using it when you need it. Someone who wear glasses to read doesn’t have to wear them all day. The ECV is a tool. No more, no less.

Background: I have a condition that prevents me from standing for long periods of time or it triggers a flare up, but I otherwise have mobility. My family has been pressing me to utilize a scooter or wheel chair but I have been stubborn about it. I'm young, in relatively good shape, I'm perfectly capable of walking, running, jumping - I can even do extreme sports if I desired, but I just need to moderate it. I have not felt like I needed one, I don't feel like I am disabled, nor do I feel I am handicapped and quite frankly feel embarrassed enough with the stares we get when we utilize a DAS - not for me, my wife has a non-mobility disability but everyone assumes it's me when I'm the one limping.

We do Disney several times a year and we're park warriors and I've been able to manage it well despite it. But this last time was different and ended with me in extreme pain by the end of day 3 of our 7 day trip. I had pushed it too far, it was a challenge getting back to the hotel and I wasn't able to recover for the rest of the trip... I realized then it may be time to get over my own pride.

Question:
I have never utilized either a scooter nor a wheelchair and hoping I can get some advice from users on the board. I still have mobility so in my head I'm thinking - well if we go to a sit down meal, I don't need to wheel in. I'll park it (with the strollers?) and walk in. Or if it's a crowd store, etc. Is that frowned upon? I'm admittedly a little nervous knowing that my need is a part time need and want to make sure I'm not doing anything to impose or worse be seen as mocking someone who may have a full time need.

- Is there a list somewhere that shows which rides accommodate wheels in line and which needs to be parked/where to park them?
- Rent or buy?

Thank you!

OK let's answer your questions in backwards order - I'm feeling frisky tonight! 😂

- Rent or buy?
Rent if:
You *only* need the scooter at WDW, and you will need it less than an average of 20 days per year. It's just a numbers game, really.
Buy if:
You find that increasingly you need a scooter at WDW, *and* other places (like shopping, going to events, museums, outings.)
If you get the "ick" from a rental.
You believe you will need the device more than about 20 days per year (the break-even is different for every person, and the specific device they want to buy)

This is a really personal decision, but let's just consider these factors before you make a decision.
Manual Wheelchair: A manual wheelchair is not for the faint-of-heart - or the weak of arms! Most folks who rent a wheelchair for Disney and think they will just manually propel themselves around Disney drop that idea by day 2, if not before. If you like feeling like your arms are made of fettuccine, get a manual chair! Average weight of a manual chair can start at about 16 pounds for a lightweight chair and go up from there.
Power Wheelchair: A whole different critter; most of these look nothing like a "standard" or manual wheelchair. Battery operated, typically joystick controlled. Don't worry about flashy or fancy features here - what you want is something that will take an incline well, has *solid tires* and ideally removable battery charging (so that you don't have to take the chair out of the car just to charge the batteries). Average weight of a power chair will start around 50 to 65 pounds and go up from there. Ultra-lightweight chairs exist, however you typically give up battery life or power for weight. Don't buy from Amazon; it's important to test drive first!
Scooter: 3 wheels or 4? Always a big question; my personal feeling is 3 wheel scooters are far more nimble in the tight turns of some of the queues at WDW. As long as you don't try to play Lightning McQueen, you'll be fine. 4 wheel scooters are sometimes preferred by folks who are concerned about stability, but you have to work pretty hard to tump over a 3-wheeler. A small bonus here is that the second and third category scooters below tend to have "tiller" style steering that can be quite precise. There are roughly 3 classes of "scooters" (or what Disney calls an ECV)
1. Golf cart/multi-passenger style scooters. Banned at WDW, and most events, fairs and venues, these are great for places like The Villages where everyone is driving around in some kind of cart. Disney has a rule: 1 seat, 1 person when it comes to ECVs, so we will move on to...
2. "Traditional" or "Granny" style scooters. These are what most rentals look like; basically nowadays they are the evolved descendants of the grocery store motorized shopping cart scooter beast. Most of them are quite comfortable, even for all day use. For Disney, they must be fully charged overnight to make sure you have enough battery for the next day. (Always charge your scooter in your hotel room; never leave out in the hall, or breezeway). Very few cons to these, other than weight - most of them weight enough that they come apart, with the heaviest part weighing about 50 pounds. The average seems to be 4 pieces. Overall they will assemble fairly easily, but at the end of a long day, it may be the last thing you want to do in a parking lot when it's dark... Obvi, if you plan on using Disney Transportation, you don't have to worry about disassembling the device; just riding it onboard and parking it safely.
3. "Ultra light" or "light weight" scooters. These vary in quality, weight, durability, and battery life. My own personal experience is with the TravelScoot brand; Those weight less than 35 pounds with the battery, and the current model folds flat for storage; the battery can be charged off the scooter. There are very few cons here as well; primarily it will be comfort; you typically dont' get armrests or high back seats with this category. Additionally, many of them don't have a lot of onboard storage. Average weight is typically below 40 pounds for the entire unit, and many of them can just be lifted into the back of an SUV, and strapped into place for safety.
Bonus extra - Rollator: Nope, you didn't ask, but here we are anyway - the Rollator. Some folks call these a "granny cart" or a "seated walker" but what these are really is... great. You have the benefits of a walker (something to hang on to while you walk, to help steady your gait) *and* there is a built in seat, typically with a storage bag or basket as a bonus. The most expensive ones (without getting into carbon fiber and bespoke accommodations) are about $200, and the average weight of one - regardless of if it folds side-to-side or back-to-front - starts at about 16 pounds, and goes up.
Rollators work everywhere at Disney that any other mobility device does, and are a great solution if you just need to have a seat with you all the time. No batteries to charge, and they fold to take very little space in the hotel room. Like all other mobility devices, they will fly for free on all domestic airlines as medical equipment.

Oh... Well, here we are; So, you are going to be nice, and polite as you move through crowds... you will want to be positive, smile and make sure you say "Excuse me!" or "Coming through"! in a pleasant voice. Remember that folks will literally overlook you. You will basically be at butt-level all day, so ideally have your family or travel party form a "bubble" around you so that you have a human screen against those who might just walk straight into you (yes, *into* you, as in WHAM, right into you) and then blame you. (and yes, they will). Children are blissfully unaware of the laws of physics, and do not realize that most devices won't actually stop on a dime, so you have to be very vigilant for them. At Disney, folks will tend to be helpful, holding doors, carrying trays, etc. and most of the time it's easier to let them "help" you, even if you are capable of doing it yourself. It takes less time than trying to convince them that you can, indeed, deal with that door all by yourself!

As your family/travel party "Bubbles" around you, try to stick to the right side of the sidewalk or street, and allow them to create cover for you on 3 sides; then you only have to watch out for the right side, and folks trying to enter the flow of traffic.

Anytime you want to park a device and walk away from it, you can ask any CM you see where to park. If you come out and your device is moved, don't worry, they just tidied up the area, and your device will be there somewhere.

Overall, take it slow, and stay alert, and you will be fine. If you use a rental, take a few minutes either outside the Park, or in a quiet(er) spot to get used to it, and practice cornering, backing up, etc. Any time you board Disney Transportation, "turtle" (slowest speed) is your friend. Save "rabbit" for racing your kids at the Resort Hotel!

Yes! At the moment, I am going to refer you to this page at the Disney World website. Be sure to click the sort button that says "Accessibly & Advisories" to make sure you see what you need to see.

Additionally, any time you have any question about how the queue works, or what to expect, just ask the nearest CM, and they will help you. The vast majority of the queues at WDW are mobility device friendly, and you will have no problem at all. Pirates at MK is one that always comes to mind; you will have to leave your mobility device and use an attraction-provided wheelchair. (Remember, you don't have to ride in it - you can walk behind and push it if you want to.)

OK - there you go. If this has all created more questions, that's absolutely no problem! We don't gatekeep info here, so ask away! 🙂

My mom had double knee replacement, she doesn’t “need” a scooter like she did pre-knee replacement, but she utilizes a scooter to make her day at WDW easier. If she feels up to walking around/standing in lines, she’ll park it. Otherwise, it’s there when she needs it….actually it’s usually the lines where she doesn’t mind standing, so I happily will drive it thru the lines for her on occasion to give my legs a break 🤣

Just wanted to add to Mamabunny amazing post, rollator is great when you need just a bit of help.

Back when DH started using a wheelchair cause a whole day ( i mean 8 hours, not 12 or so) at disney was just too much, part of the tiime, he would walk pushing the wheelchair. At that point, sitting all day, his joints got stiff. In real life, DH needed nothing in real life but got around better, if he had a stroller or shopping cart or lawnmower to hold onto. If I had known about a rollator back then , those trips before the wheelchair would have been better. Instead, we cut the day shorter.

Just wanted to add to Mamabunny amazing post, rollator is great when you need just a bit of help.

Back when DH started using a wheelchair cause a whole day ( i mean 8 hours, not 12 or so) at disney was just too much, part of the tiime, he would walk pushing the wheelchair. At that point, sitting all day, his joints got stiff. In real life, DH needed nothing in real life but got around better, if he had a stroller or shopping cart or lawnmower to hold onto. If I had known about a rollator back then , those trips before the wheelchair would have been better. Instead, we cut the day shorter.

That sounds about my situation. I had never heard of a rollator before and just looked it up. Does it help by putting pressure on the arms instead of the feet?

OK let's answer your questions in backwards order - I'm feeling frisky tonight! 😂

- Rent or buy?
Rent if:
You *only* need the scooter at WDW, and you will need it less than an average of 20 days per year. It's just a numbers game, really.
Buy if:
You find that increasingly you need a scooter at WDW, *and* other places (like shopping, going to events, museums, outings.)
If you get the "ick" from a rental.
You believe you will need the device more than about 20 days per year (the break-even is different for every person, and the specific device they want to buy)

This is a really personal decision, but let's just consider these factors before you make a decision.
Manual Wheelchair: A manual wheelchair is not for the faint-of-heart - or the weak of arms! Most folks who rent a wheelchair for Disney and think they will just manually propel themselves around Disney drop that idea by day 2, if not before. If you like feeling like your arms are made of fettuccine, get a manual chair! Average weight of a manual chair can start at about 16 pounds for a lightweight chair and go up from there.
Power Wheelchair: A whole different critter; most of these look nothing like a "standard" or manual wheelchair. Battery operated, typically joystick controlled. Don't worry about flashy or fancy features here - what you want is something that will take an incline well, has *solid tires* and ideally removable battery charging (so that you don't have to take the chair out of the car just to charge the batteries). Average weight of a power chair will start around 50 to 65 pounds and go up from there. Ultra-lightweight chairs exist, however you typically give up battery life or power for weight. Don't buy from Amazon; it's important to test drive first!
Scooter: 3 wheels or 4? Always a big question; my personal feeling is 3 wheel scooters are far more nimble in the tight turns of some of the queues at WDW. As long as you don't try to play Lightning McQueen, you'll be fine. 4 wheel scooters are sometimes preferred by folks who are concerned about stability, but you have to work pretty hard to tump over a 3-wheeler. A small bonus here is that the second and third category scooters below tend to have "tiller" style steering that can be quite precise. There are roughly 3 classes of "scooters" (or what Disney calls an ECV)
1. Golf cart/multi-passenger style scooters. Banned at WDW, and most events, fairs and venues, these are great for places like The Villages where everyone is driving around in some kind of cart. Disney has a rule: 1 seat, 1 person when it comes to ECVs, so we will move on to...
2. "Traditional" or "Granny" style scooters. These are what most rentals look like; basically nowadays they are the evolved descendants of the grocery store motorized shopping cart scooter beast. Most of them are quite comfortable, even for all day use. For Disney, they must be fully charged overnight to make sure you have enough battery for the next day. (Always charge your scooter in your hotel room; never leave out in the hall, or breezeway). Very few cons to these, other than weight - most of them weight enough that they come apart, with the heaviest part weighing about 50 pounds. The average seems to be 4 pieces. Overall they will assemble fairly easily, but at the end of a long day, it may be the last thing you want to do in a parking lot when it's dark... Obvi, if you plan on using Disney Transportation, you don't have to worry about disassembling the device; just riding it onboard and parking it safely.
3. "Ultra light" or "light weight" scooters. These vary in quality, weight, durability, and battery life. My own personal experience is with the TravelScoot brand; Those weight less than 35 pounds with the battery, and the current model folds flat for storage; the battery can be charged off the scooter. There are very few cons here as well; primarily it will be comfort; you typically dont' get armrests or high back seats with this category. Additionally, many of them don't have a lot of onboard storage. Average weight is typically below 40 pounds for the entire unit, and many of them can just be lifted into the back of an SUV, and strapped into place for safety.
Bonus extra - Rollator: Nope, you didn't ask, but here we are anyway - the Rollator. Some folks call these a "granny cart" or a "seated walker" but what these are really is... great. You have the benefits of a walker (something to hang on to while you walk, to help steady your gait) *and* there is a built in seat, typically with a storage bag or basket as a bonus. The most expensive ones (without getting into carbon fiber and bespoke accommodations) are about $200, and the average weight of one - regardless of if it folds side-to-side or back-to-front - starts at about 16 pounds, and goes up.
Rollators work everywhere at Disney that any other mobility device does, and are a great solution if you just need to have a seat with you all the time. No batteries to charge, and they fold to take very little space in the hotel room. Like all other mobility devices, they will fly for free on all domestic airlines as medical equipment.

Oh... Well, here we are; So, you are going to be nice, and polite as you move through crowds... you will want to be positive, smile and make sure you say "Excuse me!" or "Coming through"! in a pleasant voice. Remember that folks will literally overlook you. You will basically be at butt-level all day, so ideally have your family or travel party form a "bubble" around you so that you have a human screen against those who might just walk straight into you (yes, *into* you, as in WHAM, right into you) and then blame you. (and yes, they will). Children are blissfully unaware of the laws of physics, and do not realize that most devices won't actually stop on a dime, so you have to be very vigilant for them. At Disney, folks will tend to be helpful, holding doors, carrying trays, etc. and most of the time it's easier to let them "help" you, even if you are capable of doing it yourself. It takes less time than trying to convince them that you can, indeed, deal with that door all by yourself!

As your family/travel party "Bubbles" around you, try to stick to the right side of the sidewalk or street, and allow them to create cover for you on 3 sides; then you only have to watch out for the right side, and folks trying to enter the flow of traffic.

Anytime you want to park a device and walk away from it, you can ask any CM you see where to park. If you come out and your device is moved, don't worry, they just tidied up the area, and your device will be there somewhere.

Overall, take it slow, and stay alert, and you will be fine. If you use a rental, take a few minutes either outside the Park, or in a quiet(er) spot to get used to it, and practice cornering, backing up, etc. Any time you board Disney Transportation, "turtle" (slowest speed) is your friend. Save "rabbit" for racing your kids at the Resort Hotel!

Yes! At the moment, I am going to refer you to this page at the Disney World website. Be sure to click the sort button that says "Accessibly & Advisories" to make sure you see what you need to see.

Additionally, any time you have any question about how the queue works, or what to expect, just ask the nearest CM, and they will help you. The vast majority of the queues at WDW are mobility device friendly, and you will have no problem at all. Pirates at MK is one that always comes to mind; you will have to leave your mobility device and use an attraction-provided wheelchair. (Remember, you don't have to ride in it - you can walk behind and push it if you want to.)

OK - there you go. If this has all created more questions, that's absolutely no problem! We don't gatekeep info here, so ask away! 🙂

Thank you for the details. I never considered the manual aspects taking a toll but that definitely makes sense. A lot of it sounds similar to navigating with a stroller - which we've been doing for gosh..the last decade now up until the last trip.

I started reading about wheelchairs and scooters and I think right now I'm leading towards a powerchair like the AirHawk or Zinger, especially since there are a couple of used ones in my area for under $500, that doesn't seem like a terrible option to give it a shot for our next trip given the rental prices.

I know sometimes the bus lines get long and those seem like I should be able to fold them up and hold on to them (like a stroller) instead of ramping on - am I being too optimistic there?

That sounds about my situation. I had never heard of a rollator before and just looked it up. Does it help by putting pressure on the arms instead of the feet?

Thank you for the details. I never considered the manual aspects taking a toll but that definitely makes sense. A lot of it sounds similar to navigating with a stroller - which we've been doing for gosh..the last decade now up until the last trip.

I started reading about wheelchairs and scooters and I think right now I'm leading towards a powerchair like the AirHawk or Zinger, especially since there are a couple of used ones in my area for under $500, that doesn't seem like a terrible option to give it a shot for our next trip given the rental prices.

I know sometimes the bus lines get long and those seem like I should be able to fold them up and hold on to them (like a stroller) instead of ramping on - am I being too optimistic there?
At home, my husband uses a rollator to get around all the time. Generally he is just moving around the house and yard. The pain in with his knees/feet. so holding onto the rollator transfer some of the weight from his knees. But not so much that his arms are getting painful.

when I was making the determination to prescribe/recommend a rollator, I looked at whether the person put a lot of weight through their arms to assist with balance or if they only needed it to keep a steady balance (similar to a cane). If you’re needing to really support yourself by putting weight on the device, I would not recommend a rollator. I’ve had patients do that and fall. I tend to think it’s for those who “wall-surf”, hanging on to the wall as they walk or furniture (I am guilty of this myself now😂). And your back will thank you if you adjust the height so you’re standing up and not bent over.

Rollators help support you just like a traditional walker does - they just come with a seat and a basket (and typically brakes to help in case you are going downhill, or need to park it on an incline. If holding on to the stroller, or a shopping cart helps you when walking, a Rollator might be a great choice for you. (“Rollator” was originally a brand name - nowadays it’s used to describe an entire category, just like “Kleenex”, “Xerox” and “Aspirin”)

Please don’t buy a Zinger - instead, get the “sister” chair, the Zoomer. The Zinger sounds great on paper, but in real life, they are exhausting to drive - and unlike a joystick-based chair, you don’t have a free hand to hold a phone, a cup of coffee or a bubble wand! The Zoomer is nearly identical, except it has a joystick instead of the 2 handed steering. (And I have a Zoomer - it’s a great chair for WDW)

Don’t plan on “folding & holding” - a 50 pound chair *sounds* lightweight until you try to carry it up a ramp, or deadlift it up the steps of the bus. You could probably do a “fold & hold” with an average Rollator; just make sure that the locking mechanism is really locking. If the bus has to stop fast, or takes a corner too fast, suddenly that 50 pound folded chair becomes very unwieldy, and even unsafe. Addditonally, some bus drivers will not allow you to fold & hold because of the potential safety issues. So, if you get a chair, plan on leaving it in an open position.

I understand the desire to find a good deal on mobility equipment - just remember that you are augmenting and/or replacing your legs when you use a mobility device. You are worth the very best quality you can afford.

Yinn,

It was QUITE a surprise to me, on my first trip to WDW in my 40's that my joints get wobbley and my legs swelled by day 2 or 3. And by the end of day 3 I could barely hold myself up. It was the start of my diagnostic process, but essentially I am really functional... until I'm not.

Renting chairs when needed in the parks combined with not pressuring myself to "do it all." Is very helpful, but if you'll need assistance on public transportation, renting something or getting the walker/seat that you own and can take with you may be your best bet.

Its easy for our own internalized struggles to get the best of us, but if you need a tool or an accommodation to enjoy or survive your WDW trip, there is no shame in using it.

mamabunny, as usual, did such a thorough job of covering so very much, but I'll add one tiny thing. I always suggest that you affix something to your scooter to help you pick it out, partially for this reason. Imagine you come out from the restaurant you ate at, only to find that your scooter is now parked among 15 scooters, and at the moment, all 15 look kind of alike to you. I usually tie a bandana of a bright color to it. It also helps me breathe a sigh of relief when I see the scooter that has my bandana tied to it.
But the other reason I like to "identify" my scooter is that people, I've found, are very helpful (fortunately, since I'm almost always solo), and a few times, I've had people (CMs) offer to get my scooter and bring it closer. That's when it's nice to be able to say "It's that one with the [insert color name] bandana tied to the handle". Because if there are others around it, it'll be hard to identify otherwise.

Rollators help support you just like a traditional walker does - they just come with a seat and a basket (and typically brakes to help in case you are going downhill, or need to park it on an incline. If holding on to the stroller, or a shopping cart helps you when walking, a Rollator might be a great choice for you. (“Rollator” was originally a brand name - nowadays it’s used to describe an entire category, just like “Kleenex”, “Xerox” and “Aspirin”)

Please don’t buy a Zinger - instead, get the “sister” chair, the Zoomer. The Zinger sounds great on paper, but in real life, they are exhausting to drive - and unlike a joystick-based chair, you don’t have a free hand to hold a phone, a cup of coffee or a bubble wand! The Zoomer is nearly identical, except it has a joystick instead of the 2 handed steering. (And I have a Zoomer - it’s a great chair for WDW)

Don’t plan on “folding & holding” - a 50 pound chair *sounds* lightweight until you try to carry it up a ramp, or deadlift it up the steps of the bus. You could probably do a “fold & hold” with an average Rollator; just make sure that the locking mechanism is really locking. If the bus has to stop fast, or takes a corner too fast, suddenly that 50 pound folded chair becomes very unwieldy, and even unsafe. Addditonally, some bus drivers will not allow you to fold & hold because of the potential safety issues. So, if you get a chair, plan on leaving it in an open position.

I understand the desire to find a good deal on mobility equipment - just remember that you are augmenting and/or replacing your legs when you use a mobility device. You are worth the very best quality you can afford.
Just clarifying...this is not true.

For example, you have weight-bearing restrictions on a leg but need more support/safety than crutches can provide--I would prescribe a FWW (front-wheel walker) due to the walker not rolling on you when you put your weight through it. It is extremely unsafe to do this with a rollator.

There are many other reasons why a front-wheel walker would be used over a rollator but I won't list them. Just wanted to clarify this in case someone is reading this and thinking they should get one for using with a non-weight bearing leg because it has a "seat" and their crutches don't. 😁

Unfortunately I picked it up already! We have another trip in July and I figured it was about the cost of a rental so I jumped on it.

Bright green and easy to identify, it’s a blast to drive and the it’s much quicker than I would’ve expected.

Now that you point it out though I can definitely see now though that I will NOT be able to drink water while I go, or check wait times. I will need to come to a stop. I’ll have to start looking for a zoomer now, this zinger came with 2 batteries so hopefully they fit the zoomer as well.

Unfortunately I picked it up already! We have another trip in July and I figured it was about the cost of a rental so I jumped on it.

Bright green and easy to identify, it’s a blast to drive and the it’s much quicker than I would’ve expected.

Now that you point it out though I can definitely see now though that I will NOT be able to drink water while I go, or check wait times. I will need to come to a stop. I’ll have to start looking for a zoomer now, this zinger came with 2 batteries so hopefully they fit the zoomer as well.

I’m not sure about the interchangeability of the batteries through the entire series. I believe the earlier Zingers had a different battery/motor setup, but not sure.

Ironically, you may be able to move the bright green seating material to the Zoomer (if you find one) at one point in time those were interchangeable. The frames are nearly identical; what differs between the 2 models is the steering and the motor placement (and possibly battery type).

It’s great that you have it in time to practice; one thing that is great about the Zinger and the Zoomer both is that you can roll up under almost any table easily, and the overall footprint of the chair is very compact. Practice backing up; it’s needed more often than you think, and it’s the one thing you *will* need to be able to do at WDW.

Have a great trip! 🙂

I’m not sure about the interchangeability of the batteries through the entire series. I believe the earlier Zingers had a different battery/motor setup, but not sure.

Ironically, you may be able to move the bright green seating material to the Zoomer (if you find one) at one point in time those were interchangeable. The frames are nearly identical; what differs between the 2 models is the steering and the motor placement (and possibly battery type).

It’s great that you have it in time to practice; one thing that is great about the Zinger and the Zoomer both is that you can roll up under almost any table easily, and the overall footprint of the chair is very compact. Practice backing up; it’s needed more often than you think, and it’s the one thing you *will* need to be able to do at WDW.

Have a great trip! 🙂
Curious if you know what the battery life is on the Zinger/Zoomer? These look like a great option for my mom to have for every-day use for longer outings. The one she has (but doesn't use) is from my grandfather and it was "foldable" but is every bit as cumbersome as a regular scooter you rent!😁

Curious if you know what the battery life is on the Zinger/Zoomer? These look like a great option for my mom to have for every-day use for longer outings. The one she has (but doesn't use) is from my grandfather and it was "foldable" but is every bit as cumbersome as a regular scooter you rent!😁

My Zoomer will easily go 8+ hours at Disney; admittedly, I am a real stickler about turning it off when I'm not moving, and I am at the max weight range, so those both impact battery life - in different directions!

Things that I really like are:
- The Zoomer has a "limp home" mode; if you drain the battery low enough, it will keep going, but at a *very* slow pace, and the lights on the joystick will flash to let you know it's time to find some electricity! I have gone from Spaceship Earth all the way to my hotel room at AKL in limp home mode; it was slow, but it got me back to our room! (I turned off the unit while sitting at the bus stop, and while on the bus.)
- It can be "locked" from the joystick, with a combo button press, and unlocked in the same fashion. Never had a problem at WDW, and have never used the locking feature there, but I do like that I could do it if I wanted to!
- The footrest "swings" backward lightly, and does not catch on the heels of my shoes, like I was concerned it might. Anecdote: There are a couple of steeper ramps at WDW (the bottom of the ramp at Zawadi Marketplace at Jamba House is one example) where its pretty close to bumping the bottom of the footrest when coming down, because of the angle of the ramp at the very bottom. I just always go slow, make sure I keep my toes up, and have no problems.
- You can pull up easily under most tables without needing to lift armrests, etc. and it will fit folded easier in places like under some beds or slide it in along the interior side of a closet.
- If you take the battery out (not difficult; flip the turnbuckle, and lift it out) it helps a bit with lifting in and out of vehicles. Our daughter slides mine in behind the front seats on the passenger floor (folded "on edge" and with the joystick removed) or will slide it on edge along the side wall of the cargo area.
- If I am handling it alone, I fold it, then lean it against the bumper and pick it up down at the ground, and slide it in. We have one of those cargo area/fold out bumper protectors, and that helps *a lot*! LOL it makes it so much easier to slide in!
- It takes about 6 to 7 hours to fully recharge the battery; I believe they are currently out of stock, but they have a little device you can fit on the battery to charge it out of the chair. I have a second battery + charger + external charging device so I can keep 2 batteries charged all the time at WDW. If you have just one battery, it can easily be charged from the port on the joystick.

Overall, it's quite comfortable; in the colder months, I take a cozy blanket to line the seat - that "stay cool" mesh will really keep you cold in the winter! LOL In the summer, I will grab a towel from the hotel and throw it in the basket in case we get caught in a shower, but the mesh tends to dry out pretty quickly. I also carry shower caps to protect the joystick, and a strip of painter's tape to cover the junction on the battery where it slides in (to keep any rain from seeping into the battery terminal area) that I just keep over that seam.

Honestly, the only thing I don't like about it is the price; I feel like they are somewhat overpriced when new. Having said that, its pricing is in line with other folding power chairs, so I can't complain too much.

If you buy a used one, things to look for are:
- will the battery hold a full charge?
- does it come with the battery charger? (that's an additional $150 from Journey - and the properly spec'd ones are not sold on Amazon)
- is the knob that holds the joystick present and accounted for? (and doing it's job well?)
- make sure there are absolutely no tears or rips in the mesh upholstery.
- Tires might have some wear but you should still be able to see the pattern on the wheels - otherwise you will have to try and replace the tires, and that's not a job for the faint of heart.
- make sure that the joystick is "springy" and returns quickly and crisply to center.
- check to make sure that the chair's frame is good and tight - loose hardware may mean it was abused, or a severely overweight rider (heavier than the manufacturer's suggested max weight) has been using the chair.

That's everything I can think of; if you (or any of your family members) have any more questions, just LMK!

Just for future reference, or anyone coming into this thread with the same question, do NOT get a manual wheelchair and plan to use it at WDW for the first time. For reference, I've been using a manual chair for around 40 years now. I have above average arm, hand, and wrist strength and obviously the experience that has come with those years. All that said, I still get pretty worn out after a day at the parks and feel like I've had a good workout. If you aren't regularly pushing a chair, your arms, hands, and wrists probably aren't ready to push a park day.

Pushing a chair isn't hard, pushing it for more than a few feet, controlling it, and managing obstacles is very complex. It is 100% doable by nearly anyone but learning and aclimatizing yourself takes time. If you start at WDW you're going to have a bad time.

My Zoomer will easily go 8+ hours at Disney; admittedly, I am a real stickler about turning it off when I'm not moving, and I am at the max weight range, so those both impact battery life - in different directions!

Things that I really like are:
- The Zoomer has a "limp home" mode; if you drain the battery low enough, it will keep going, but at a *very* slow pace, and the lights on the joystick will flash to let you know it's time to find some electricity! I have gone from Spaceship Earth all the way to my hotel room at AKL in limp home mode; it was slow, but it got me back to our room! (I turned off the unit while sitting at the bus stop, and while on the bus.)
- It can be "locked" from the joystick, with a combo button press, and unlocked in the same fashion. Never had a problem at WDW, and have never used the locking feature there, but I do like that I could do it if I wanted to!
- The footrest "swings" backward lightly, and does not catch on the heels of my shoes, like I was concerned it might. Anecdote: There are a couple of steeper ramps at WDW (the bottom of the ramp at Zawadi Marketplace at Jamba House is one example) where its pretty close to bumping the bottom of the footrest when coming down, because of the angle of the ramp at the very bottom. I just always go slow, make sure I keep my toes up, and have no problems.
- You can pull up easily under most tables without needing to lift armrests, etc. and it will fit folded easier in places like under some beds or slide it in along the interior side of a closet.
- If you take the battery out (not difficult; flip the turnbuckle, and lift it out) it helps a bit with lifting in and out of vehicles. Our daughter slides mine in behind the front seats on the passenger floor (folded "on edge" and with the joystick removed) or will slide it on edge along the side wall of the cargo area.
- If I am handling it alone, I fold it, then lean it against the bumper and pick it up down at the ground, and slide it in. We have one of those cargo area/fold out bumper protectors, and that helps *a lot*! LOL it makes it so much easier to slide in!
- It takes about 6 to 7 hours to fully recharge the battery; I believe they are currently out of stock, but they have a little device you can fit on the battery to charge it out of the chair. I have a second battery + charger + external charging device so I can keep 2 batteries charged all the time at WDW. If you have just one battery, it can easily be charged from the port on the joystick.

Overall, it's quite comfortable; in the colder months, I take a cozy blanket to line the seat - that "stay cool" mesh will really keep you cold in the winter! LOL In the summer, I will grab a towel from the hotel and throw it in the basket in case we get caught in a shower, but the mesh tends to dry out pretty quickly. I also carry shower caps to protect the joystick, and a strip of painter's tape to cover the junction on the battery where it slides in (to keep any rain from seeping into the battery terminal area) that I just keep over that seam.

Honestly, the only thing I don't like about it is the price; I feel like they are somewhat overpriced when new. Having said that, its pricing is in line with other folding power chairs, so I can't complain too much.

If you buy a used one, things to look for are:
- will the battery hold a full charge?
- does it come with the battery charger? (that's an additional $150 from Journey - and the properly spec'd ones are not sold on Amazon)
- is the knob that holds the joystick present and accounted for? (and doing it's job well?)
- make sure there are absolutely no tears or rips in the mesh upholstery.
- Tires might have some wear but you should still be able to see the pattern on the wheels - otherwise you will have to try and replace the tires, and that's not a job for the faint of heart.
- make sure that the joystick is "springy" and returns quickly and crisply to center.
- check to make sure that the chair's frame is good and tight - loose hardware may mean it was abused, or a severely overweight rider (heavier than the manufacturer's suggested max weight) has been using the chair.

That's everything I can think of; if you (or any of your family members) have any more questions, just LMK!
Thank you for the great description! So helpful in understanding this chair a little more (the website was not helpful at all) and it’s great to have first-hand info from someone who actually uses the product! I show it to my mom and see what she has to say.

One more question… have you ever flown with yours?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter