Scotland Meets Thread (formerly Scotland: A Brave Adventure)

For anyone traveling next August, tickets for the Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo went on sale this morning. I've been trying to order mine all morning and haven't been able to as of yet, (trying since 5:00 EST) but I haven't given up. It looks like an amazing show!

For anyone traveling next August, tickets for the Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo went on sale this morning. I've been trying to order mine all morning and haven't been able to as of yet, (trying since 5:00 EST) but I haven't given up. It looks like an amazing show!

Keep trying!! It really is an amazing show and a fabulous experience.

Thanks for the heads' up! Unfortunately, I arrive in Scotland a week after the Tatoo is over. But I'm sure there are others who will be able to make it!

Sayhello

I haven't taken the plunge yet. Who are you flying with? I'm toying with United, but I'm still so undecided.

Sayhello

We went with US Airways because it gives us the most direct route/shortest travel time. Pittsburgh to Philadelphia to Edinburgh. I've been watching a while, and prices have been sadly static.

We went with US Airways because it gives us the most direct route/shortest travel time. Pittsburgh to Philadelphia to Edinburgh. I've been watching a while, and prices have been sadly static.
I know. They really haven't gone up *or* down. I keep hoping they'll go down after the holidays, but I'm not counting on it. I'll probably buy them soon. United has direct flights for me through Newark. We'll see. I keep changing my mind.

Sayhello

I know. They really haven't gone up *or* down. I keep hoping they'll go down after the holidays, but I'm not counting on it. I'll probably buy them soon. United has direct flights for me through Newark. We'll see. I keep changing my mind.

Sayhello

It's also worth considering flying into or out of Glasgow. This might give you more flight options. The train from the centre of Glasgow is an hour to Edinburgh. At both airports you will need transport to get to the city centre. Taxis are by far the easiest option. I would recommend spending some time in Glasgow - there is so much to see and do.

We decided to do a pre-trip stop in Edinburgh on the way to our London/Paris ABD with my parents this year. We are flying on British Airways using American Airlines miles. Direct flight from Miami to LHR and then on to Edinburgh. Thanks to the travel hacking we got 4 first class tickets :banana::banana::banana:

It's also worth considering flying into or out of Glasgow. This might give you more flight options. The train from the centre of Glasgow is an hour to Edinburgh. At both airports you will need transport to get to the city centre. Taxis are by far the easiest option. I would recommend spending some time in Glasgow - there is so much to see and do.
Thanks for the suggestion! But, actually, I already have plans to spend a few days in London before the ABD, then take the train up to Edinburgh. So Glasgow airport won't work for that. And ABD will take me to Edinburgh airport at the end of the tour to fly home. I'd have to get to Glasgow on my own. But again, thanks for the information. Perhaps someone else taking this trip can use that!

Sayhello

Thanks for the suggestion! But, actually, I already have plans to spend a few days in London before the ABD, then take the train up to Edinburgh. So Glasgow airport won't work for that. And ABD will take me to Edinburgh airport at the end of the tour to fly home. I'd have to get to Glasgow on my own. But again, thanks for the information. Perhaps someone else taking this trip can use that!

Sayhello

That's good you are getting to spend some time in London. It's always worth weighing up different options and taking the opportunity to visit other places when you have travelled so far. Enjoy your trip.

Sayhello

I'm not sure if any of their gateway cities are good for you, but check out Scandinavian Airlines (they don't show up on a lot of the search engines like JetBlue and Southwest). They have amazing deals right now, and they fly into both EDI and Gatwick. If I could travel at the end of May instead of June I could go for about $800 from California. My dates have been holding at an ugly 1460ish forever.

I'm not sure if any of their gateway cities are good for you, but check out Scandinavian Airlines (they don't show up on a lot of the search engines like JetBlue and Southwest). They have amazing deals right now, and they fly into both EDI and Gatwick. If I could travel at the end of May instead of June I could go for about $800 from California. My dates have been holding at an ugly 1460ish forever.
Wow. Thank you, but that totally didn't work for me. :sad2: I went to their site, and tried going from Columbus to London, then Edinburgh to Columbus. It totally would not recognize Edinburgh as an option. So I tried round trip to London, and the cheapest price was $3,573.90!!!! :eek: I may play around with the site some more, but it totally does not look like a good option for me! But thanks for the suggestion!

Sayhello

Sayhello

Some airlines allow stopovers on the same ticket but the rules are different for each one. If memory serves correctly BA does so you could fly CMH - LHR stop over a few days then continue on LHR-EDI if you didn't want to take the train. I checked a few flights going into EDI and LHR from CMH around your time frame and the lowest I saw were in the $1172 range on Air Canada.

The travel hackers say the best day to search for flights you plan to pay out of pocket for are on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. I will say that when we booked our DVC New York Dreams ABD we decided not to use miles for the flight and I searched for our flights on a Wednesday. We got two round trip direct flights for Memorial weekend for a very reasonable amount on the airline we wanted.

Wow. Thank you, but that totally didn't work for me. :sad2: I went to their site, and tried going from Columbus to London, then Edinburgh to Columbus. It totally would not recognize Edinburgh as an option. So I tried round trip to London, and the cheapest price was $3,573.90!!!! :eek: I may play around with the site some more, but it totally does not look like a good option for me! But thanks for the suggestion!

Sayhello

Ack! Really sorry about that. I meant Norwegian Airlines. I just went back to look and I don't think it will help you. It looks like they only fly out of a couple US cities right now. They have very cheap promo pricing right now to Oslo/Copenhagen from Oakland with a little extra cost to or from London or EDI. They don't fly to all the cities every day though. For example Oakland to London on May 6th is $355 (they do one way fares, which I love)! Edinburgh back to Oakland is only $431.50 on May 20th. Really wish I could take advantage. Can you tell I was trying to figure out how to make the ABD norway trip work? LOL

Ack! Really sorry about that. I meant Norwegian Airlines. I just went back to look and I don't think it will help you. It looks like they only fly out of a couple US cities right now. They have very cheap promo pricing right now to Oslo/Copenhagen from Oakland with a little extra cost to or from London or EDI. They don't fly to all the cities every day though. For example Oakland to London on May 6th is $355 (they do one way fares, which I love)! Edinburgh back to Oakland is only $431.50 on May 20th. Really wish I could take advantage. Can you tell I was trying to figure out how to make the ABD norway trip work? LOL
Wow! That really is a wonderful price. I'll go check them out, but you're right, it doesn't sound like I'd be able to make it work. The other thing that would concern me is if I missed the connection, and they don't fly every day, it would be a problem getting there. But once again, thanks for the suggestion! You never know what will work. And perhaps someone else reading here *can* benefit from it!

Maybe you could post this info over on the Norway trip Meets thread?

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter