Scotland Meets Thread (formerly Scotland: A Brave Adventure)

It would be even harder to now. I think I've read that they are one of the airlines that is switching their frequent-flier miles to be based off of your trip price, and not the number of miles in the trip.

You are correct. That change takes effect in 2015. Delta has a tool on their website to compare the old vs new rewards. I put in my upcoming flight for comparison and with the current program I receive 10,670 miles, but with the new program I would only get 9,590. One improvement is no blackout dates, but I've never really had a problem booking rewards flights anyway. Delta has a lot of flights out of Nashville and often they have the best price, so I got a Delta Amex to try to maximize my rewards, and it's worked out pretty well so far. But with this change, I'm going to be doing some research over the next year and see if I want to shift my business elsewhere.

As far as the email notifications go, I seem to get a lot of those for small changes, like when the departure time changes by 5 minutes or the plane we're flying on changes, but when it's something major, somehow those emails aren't delivered. Maybe I just happen to catch those on my own before the emails were sent. I noticed that my return flight from Shannon to JFK has changed this morning. It's arriving in NY one minute earlier than originally scheduled. I haven't gotten an email yet. This time I know exactly when the changed happened, so it will be interesting to see how long it will be before the email arrives, if it ever does.

I believe I saw something pop up on either Orbitz or Expedia. It has been a while so I am not sure which. If I happen to find my receipt I will repost. I found it was within easy walking distance of the Royal Mile and Princes Street Gardens.

2BNDisney, do you remember what type of room you booked? I need two beds and, from reading the descriptions, even the suites seem to have just one king bed. On the hotel website there is a Superior Double/Twin room where the description says one king or two single beds. If I book from the Delta website, the price is the same and I get FF miles, but that type of room is the only one that isn't listed.

It would be even harder to now. I think I've read that they are one of the airlines that is switching their frequent-flier miles to be based off of your trip price, and not the number of miles in the trip.

I don't fly often enough to earn significant "butt in seat" miles :lmao: I utilize credit card sign up bonus and have learned to work the system of each card to earn miles. Between DH and I we are near 2 million in miles :banana: However, with this newest devaluation of Delta's Sky Miles er Pesos there is no chance I will fly them on the off chance I decide to pay for a flight someday.

2BNDisney, do you remember what type of room you booked? I need two beds and, from reading the descriptions, even the suites seem to have just one king bed. On the hotel website there is a Superior Double/Twin room where the description says one king or two single beds. If I book from the Delta website, the price is the same and I get FF miles, but that type of room is the only one that isn't listed.

We are also staying in Edinburgh for 3 nights prior to our London/Paris ABD. We chose the Radisson Blu on the Royal Mile on High Street. I am not sure what the available room configurations are though so I don't know if there are 2 beds in a room.

Sharing the following in case it helps out anyone else doing a pre/post stay and wants to cut down costs. We are staying at the Edinburgh Radisson Blu for free :cool1: I applied for the Club Carlson Signature Visa. Once you meet the bonus requirements you have enough points to stay a few nights since the card gives you gold status which means when you book 2 or more nights on points your last night is free. Nice perk! Right now they are running a extend your weekend stay 4 nights for 2 promotion for gold level members in hotels in Europe.

Lastly, we have also figured out how to stay at a Bed & Breakfast for free. Barclay's Arrival card will give you 40K points ($440) after meeting the requirements which you can redeem on travel purchases. If the B&B merchant charges and codes the transaction as travel and you pay with the Arrival card (no foreign transaction fees) you can then pay for the charge using your points in a statement credit.

Hope this helps fellow DISers.

I don't fly often enough to earn significant "butt in seat" miles :lmao: I utilize credit card sign up bonus and have learned to work the system of each card to earn miles. Between DH and I we are near 2 million in miles :banana: However, with this newest devaluation of Delta's Sky Miles er Pesos there is no chance I will fly them on the off chance I decide to pay for a flight someday.

We are also staying in Edinburgh for 3 nights prior to our London/Paris ABD. We chose the Radisson Blu on the Royal Mile on High Street. I am not sure what the available room configurations are though so I don't know if there are 2 beds in a room.

Sharing the following in case it helps out anyone else doing a pre/post stay and wants to cut down costs. We are staying at the Edinburgh Radisson Blu for free :cool1: I applied for the Club Carlson Signature Visa. Once you meet the bonus requirements you have enough points to stay a few nights since the card gives you gold status which means when you book 2 or more nights on points your last night is free. Nice perk! Right now they are running a extend your weekend stay 4 nights for 2 promotion for gold level members in hotels in Europe.

Lastly, we have also figured out how to stay at a Bed & Breakfast for free. Barclay's Arrival card will give you 40K points ($440) after meeting the requirements which you can redeem on travel purchases. If the B&B merchant charges and codes the transaction as travel and you pay with the Arrival card (no foreign transaction fees) you can then pay for the charge using your points in a statement credit.

Hope this helps fellow DISers.

Thanks for the info. I went ahead and entered a question about the rooms on the Apex "Contact Us" page. I got an answer within 5 minutes. That was pretty impressive!

Thanks for the info. I went ahead and entered a question about the rooms on the Apex "Contact Us" page. I got an answer within 5 minutes. That was pretty impressive!

You are welcome. Wow! That IS impressive.

Mind my asking what the question/answer were? :)

Sayhello

Mind my asking what the question/answer were? :)

Sayhello

Since a lot of the rooms configurations seemed to have a single king bed, I just asked which room was the best choice to accommodate a mom and a 13-year-old boy. The answer was the superior room with twin beds. She also said that the sofas in the suites are sleepers, so that is also an option.

Well it sounds like you may have already had your answer. I went back and looked at my room picture of the Apex and it was 2 beds - one looked to be a twin and the other a full. One of the ABD guides was also staying there til everyone moved to the Balmoral

Well it sounds like you may have already had your answer. I went back and looked at my room picture of the Apex and it was 2 beds - one looked to be a twin and the other a full. One of the ABD guides was also staying there til everyone moved to the Balmoral

Thanks! I booked our room. It looks like a good location for seeing the sights of Edinburgh. And I wanted to do one day tour and the meeting place is right outside the hotel, which couldn't be more convenient!

Thanks! I booked our room. It looks like a good location for seeing the sights of Edinburgh. And I wanted to do one day tour and the meeting place is right outside the hotel, which couldn't be more convenient!

I was very pleased with this one. Was there for 2 nights.

Are you doing a self guided tour? Or, are you using a tour company? We are there for a couple of days and I am in the process of trying to put together an itinerary for our family so ideas are welcome. Thanks!

Yes! I agree with calypso726. Who are you using for your one day tour? I'd be interested for my pre-days.

Sayhello

Are you doing a self guided tour? Or, are you using a tour company? We are there for a couple of days and I am in the process of trying to put together an itinerary for our family so ideas are welcome. Thanks!

Yes! I agree with calypso726. Who are you using for your one day tour? I'd be interested for my pre-days.

Sayhello

I am considering Heart of Scotland Day Tours. They have good reviews on Trip Advisor and offer group and private tours. Unless I come up with something specific that isn't part of one of the tours, we'll probably do a group tour. I think DS and I would both enjoy being with other people. We'll be in Edinburgh at the end of June. I'll let you know how it goes.

I am considering Heart of Scotland Day Tours. They have good reviews on Trip Advisor and offer group and private tours. Unless I come up with something specific that isn't part of one of the tours, we'll probably do a group tour. I think DS and I would both enjoy being with other people. We'll be in Edinburgh at the end of June. I'll let you know how it goes.
Thanks! I look forward to your report! :)

Sayhello

Thanks! I look forward to your report! :)

Sayhello

Thanks! Me too!

Check out the reviews for the Hairy Coo tour and see if that interests you. The highlight for me was the Wallace Monument and the little town we stopped in for lunch. Not to mention getting up close with the Hairy Coo. The meet up was down on the Royal Mile so I just walked down from the hotel.

Check out the reviews for the Hairy Coo tour and see if that interests you. The highlight for me was the Wallace Monument and the little town we stopped in for lunch. Not to mention getting up close with the Hairy Coo. The meet up was down on the Royal Mile so I just walked down from the hotel.
Right! You did mention that before. I'll check that out, too! :thumbsup2

Sayhello

I'll have to look into that one too. Thanks for the info!

Hi guys,

Have a fab time when you arrive here in Scotland, any questions I'll endeavour to answer.

Ps bring a sweater ha ha

Paul

Hi Paul! So do the odds look good for the new tram to be up and running from the airport into Edinburgh by this June? (Our June 29 ABD fast approaches and I am working on pre-tour details!)

I signed up for the Harry Coo tour for one of my pre-days! It looks really fun. Thanks for the suggestion. Do you remember how much you "tipped" for the tour? Since there's no price, I'd like to make sure I have enough cash to cover what the "going rate" is. I really have no clue at this point!

I think I may do Heart of Scotland's Evening Ghost and Ghouls tour. It also looks like fun!

Any other pre-day suggestions? How long does it take to climb to Arthur's Seat? How far is it from the Royal Mile?

Thanks!
Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter