SD Zoo or Wild Animal Park

Kathy O

Earning My Ears
I'm confused, planning a big trip to CA next summer with the family - my husband and two teenage sons 14 and 16. Which would you recommend between the zoo and Wild animal park? Are they affiliated and what is the difference? Help! ko :sad2:

Hi.. They are both run by the San Diego Zoological society. The Wild Anaimal Park is east of San Diego and is very HOT. We really liked them both. Check you pass you maybe able to do both of them. The wild Animal Park has a train that you take around and see the animals , the zoo is more traditional and has the pandas.

Zoo is $32 per person and the Wild Animal park is having an online special until July 31st for $ 19.99 http://www.sandiegozoo.org/tickets/index.html

They are completely different experiences. I love them both. As geffric said, the zoo is a more traditional zoo type experience. It is a wonderful zoo, though. Most of the enclosures look like places I wouldn't mind living! There is a LOT to see at the SD Zoo.

The Wild Animal Park is great too. Here they have animals wandering freely in a savannah type environment. It's huge. Actually, the savannah is divided into different sections so compatible animals can live together (no lions in with the zebras!). They have a tram narrated by a guide that goes all around the savannah area. The guide has lots of great information on the various animals. If you choose to do this, try to go either as early as possible or in the late afternoon when the animals are more active. There are also lots of other things to see and do here. I love the Wild Animal Park.

It is inland quite a ways, so in the summertime it is quite hot, about the same as Disneyland.

I will take the SD Zoo over the WAP anyday .. this coming from a girl who has been going to both since she was 4 years old lol .. You will get done with WAP faster than SD Zoo ... I just feel there is more bang for your buck with the SD Zoo :)

As Geffric said, many times they have package deals to get you into both parks ... kind of like a disney hopper but without the hopping in one day hehehe

I agree with AStarOnMars, if I had to choose one I'd pick the SDZoo. Much more entertaining, better laid out, and the exhibits are newer.

The SD Zoo as a whole has better exhibits... Monkey Trails, Hippo Beach, Panda exhibit, Tiger River, etc.

Th WAP's main attraction is the monorail tour which to be honest can get a little stale if the animals are not out and about.

Just my humble opinion. Hope you a wonderful trip either way!

I agree about the monorail tour. The best times for it are first thing in the morning and near dusk when the animals are most active. However, I just LOVE the wild animal park.

Another treat for me there is getting to feed the Lorikeets. I know it sounds silly, but I just love having them land all over me to get to the cup of nectar. Also, if you go at the right time of year, they have a butterfly pavilion (at least, they used to).

There are advantages to going to both venues. Since you will be traveling during the summer months, I would advise going to the SD Zoo in the morning hours, and have lunch at Albert's, a very nice restaurant located in the Zoo (Gorilla Tropics area).

In the evening, you can rent a car and go out to WAP where they usually have lots of interesting events/music going on as part of their "Summer Nights" promotion. Every year it is different, and held when the Park is much cooler after sunset. Check the San Diego Zoo website for times/dates as you get closer to your trip.

My family really likes the Wild Animal Park. It's really neat to see the animals in their "natural" enviroments. The main zoo is really cool too. Good luck deciding! :sunny:

If you're visiting the Los Angeles area....go to the LA Zoo, the Wild West museum next door, and maybe the Griffith Observatory will be re-opened by the time of your visit.

Then go to the SAN DIEGO WILD ANIMAL PARK for sure. :thumbsup2

I also prefer the zoo over wild animal park only because we can barely find the wild animals in the daytime.

For what it's worth, the zoo is 20 minutes from Sea World :teeth: and Old Town (think yummy Mexican Food :teeth: :teeth: ) and has about 6 or 7 really cool musuems near by.

However, the WAP never feels crowded to me and the zoo can feel suffocating. You get to pass a very nice Nordstrom's on the way out there :thumbsup2 and a winery on the way back . Something for everyone :rotfl2:

We're struggling with this decision as well. We're thinking of getting the citipass which includes the zoo or the wild animal park. It really sounds like the zoo is more economical. Especially since I have a really hard time getting my sister moving in the morning. (think Ty with a megaphone). I'm considering buying the wild animal park tickets separate but I noticed on their website http://www.sandiegozoo.org/ that the really cool things at the wild animal park cost an extra $70 or $90 per person :confused3 . Is there other things to do in the wild animal park during the day when the animals are tucked away from the heat that would make it worth it?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter