Seaworld - Surviving a full day w/ a 2 year old??

SKMG123

Earning My Ears
My family of 4 (hubby, myself, 9 yr old daughter, and 2yr old son) planning a trip in June. We are flying to Orlando and our biggest plans are a full day at Seaworld and a full day at BG (both are FIRST TIME experiences).

Regarding Seaworld, it looks like our biggest priorities are the shows, feeding experiences, and then whatever else we can fit in between. We are trying to be sure we make it as easy as possible with our 2 year old so we have some questions...
- One of my biggest questions is should we bring our umbrella stroller that is small, can fold up and be carried with us during the shows, and has a small net pouch on the back to hold a couple things... or should we take our medium size stroller that isn't as small and portable but has cup holders, a big underneath compartment to hold stuff and can recline when my son (inevitably) falls asleep at some point in the day??
- what do people with medium size strollers do with them during shows and dolphin/manta/etc feedings? (Is there a safe place to park them without fear of getting it stolen?)
- My son also happens to have a peanut allergy.. while we are considering doing the All Day Dining and being very careful about what we give him, we think it would save a lot of risk to bring him a bunch of snacks so we aren't having to give him too much Park food... how lenient do you think they will be with us on snacks?
- what are the must see shows and (cheap - not behind the scenes) feedings/encounters that would be entertaining for a 2year old and 9 year old?
- Are there any rides we can all do together?
- is there any other advice for surviving the day with a young child? Must brings? Things we shouldn't bother bringing?
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you in advance!

SKMG123 said:
My family of 4 (hubby, myself, 9 yr old daughter, and 2yr old son) planning a trip in June. We are flying to Orlando and our biggest plans are a full day at Seaworld and a full day at BG (both are FIRST TIME experiences).

Regarding Seaworld, it looks like our biggest priorities are the shows, feeding experiences, and then whatever else we can fit in between. We are trying to be sure we make it as easy as possible with our 2 year old so we have some questions...
- One of my biggest questions is should we bring our umbrella stroller that is small, can fold up and be carried with us during the shows, and has a small net pouch on the back to hold a couple things... or should we take our medium size stroller that isn't as small and portable but has cup holders, a big underneath compartment to hold stuff and can recline when my son (inevitably) falls asleep at some point in the day??
- what do people with medium size strollers do with them during shows and dolphin/manta/etc feedings? (Is there a safe place to park them without fear of getting it stolen?)
- My son also happens to have a peanut allergy.. while we are considering doing the All Day Dining and being very careful about what we give him, we think it would save a lot of risk to bring him a bunch of snacks so we aren't having to give him too much Park food... how lenient do you think they will be with us on snacks?
- what are the must see shows and (cheap - not behind the scenes) feedings/encounters that would be entertaining for a 2year old and 9 year old?
- is there any other advice for surviving the day with a young child? Must brings? Things we shouldn't bother bringing?

1-stroller I would bring the med one cause you aren't allowed to bring strollers in the shows and other attractions. Even an umbrella stroller has to be parked outside in the designated parking area. We have never had any problems with our stroller.

2-peanut allergy/snacks yes I have heard from others that if you have an allergy issue they are a bit lenient and will allow you to bring things in. Just no coolers.

3- must see shows. They are all good. And during the summer they offer more shows to choose from. Blue horizon is really good. If you can only make it to one shamu show I would choose shamu rocks. Alure is a fun acrobatic show that is indoors so it is a nice show to watch in the middle of the day for a break from the heat. The sting rays are fun but some kids are afraid of feeding them because you have to hold the food on the bottom of the tank and the rays mouth is underneath. But really fun and the kids love petting them. Be prepared to get soaked sometimes they splash you.

4-rides they have shamu happy harbor for kids. And adults can ride too with the kids. The three other rides have a height restriction. Also wild artic has a height restriction but you can take the non moving side. Even without the movement it is a must see cause that is where the baluga whales, polar bear, and walruses are. The new penguin encounter looks like it will have a ride but no word yet on how it will be. They aren't releasing all the details.

Bring the kids suits so they can have some fun time in the splash fountains. Lots of sunscreen. And have fun.

I have been to both SW and BG with children of varying ages from 10 months - 10 years.

IMHO, I would bring the medium and more comfortable stroller. Especially as you mentioned he would inevitably nap. Snacks (and sandwiches for that matter) were allowed at both parks. You could not bring straws into SeaWorld. They also have the refillable cups. IMHO, with allergies I would probably pack the whole lunch and purchase the refillable cups if you plan on staying a full day. We brought lunch in a soft sided cooler - the kind you would pack your own lunch in for work.

For both parks, get a schedule when you enter in the morning and plan out what shows and at what times you want to go. SeaWorld has a wonderful little child area that is great for children under 4. As PP mentioned there is also a good splash area to help cool down.

You will have a wonderful time. We went last year and a great time was had by all.

Thank you so much, Angelmom and CCgirl! I'm so glad I was told about Disboard. I will definitely take ALL this advice! Do they still have dolphin feeding? My hubby said something about AS having that when he was a kid and it was just the cost of food.. is that still the same? Also, we are typically "flip flop" wearers... should I bring water shoes for any reason or will flip flops be fine? Also, as far as soak zones go, my kids probably won't mind getting a little wet but if my 2 year old is hit hard in the face with a ton of water, he may not be a happy camper... is it either you get really soaked in the soak zone or stay totally dry in other areas Or could we sit near the soak zone for something in between?

You can feed dolphins, and other animals, just the cost of food. With the dolphin feeding, get there early, as that one is the most popular.

We wore flip flops and were comfy last August. The only other place to get wet is the Atlantis ride, and mostly if you are in the front seats.

Have a great time. Both are fun parks and both your kids will enjoy SW and BG. At BG, there's a big Sesame Street area that the kids will enjoy. Also, at BG, you can feed the birds for a fee. BG was hillier, but lots of places to see animals too.

Hi, SKMG123...you know me better than anyone else here. :) I'm soooo happy that you decided to join these boards. You will not be disappointed.

Shows/feedings - One Ocean (Shamu) is really good, as is Blue Horizons. Both are "must see" shows. A'lure is also good, but if you aren't into the whole Cirque du Soleil kind of thing, this can be missed. Pets Ahoy is a fun little show starring rescued cats, dogs, birds, even a pig and skunk!!! Be sure to stay after the show b/c many times the trainers will bring out some of the animas to do a "meet & greet" As far as the feedings go, I would strongly recommend the stingrays first and foremost. Ask your hubby if he remembers how fun it was when he used to go with his family. I think your kids will be delighted to be able to feed/touch these sleek creatures. The dolphin feeding has gotten expensive over the years. The sea lion/seal feedings are fun, but you have to have a good arm to be able to get the fish to the animals. Also be aware of the egrets that will most likely steal the fish in midair.

Rides... anything in Shamu's Happy Harbor. Both the Wild Arctic and the new Antarctica (from what I've heard) have "by land" options, which is a walk to the animal exhibits (the WA "by land" option still has the same video as the simulator option, so you still have that experience without the movement). Also, look into a possible "child swap" option on the bigger rides. That is to say that if you, your hubby, and your 9 y/o wants to ride one of the bigger rides, but obviously your 2y/o can't, then you/your hubby can ride this ride with the 9 y/o, then afterwards, the two adults switch places and the 9 y/o can ride with the second parent.

I hope this info helps you out. :)

SKMG123 said:
Thank you so much, Angelmom and CCgirl! I'm so glad I was told about Disboard. I will definitely take ALL this advice! Do they still have dolphin feeding? My hubby said something about AS having that when he was a kid and it was just the cost of food.. is that still the same? Also, we are typically "flip flop" wearers... should I bring water shoes for any reason or will flip flops be fine? Also, as far as soak zones go, my kids probably won't mind getting a little wet but if my 2 year old is hit hard in the face with a ton of water, he may not be a happy camper... is it either you get really soaked in the soak zone or stay totally dry in other areas Or could we sit near the soak zone for something in between?

The only soak zone I would recommend against with your 2 yr old is shamu. You will get drenched and the water is 32 degrees. Now my older daughter didn't mind but we once did it when one of our kids was little and we had to leave right after we got wet. Went straight to the family bathrooms and changed clothes. If you do it wear a swim suit only and during the heat of the day. The sea lion show has a splash zone but its just a splash maybe. Blue Horizon is hard to say. From what I remember it was a hit or miss but might get a good amount of splash.

My kids old have stayed in Shamus Happy Harbor all day if we let them. There is a huge sand box/pit that they especially loved. The baby care center is also right in that area.

The 2 must do shows for us are Clyde and Seymor and the Shamu show. We like the Dolphin show but wish it was more dolphin less acrobats.

I'm not either of these posters, but I do have something to say about the soak zones, especially Shamu's. The soak zone at this particular Stadium is the first 14 rows, the promenade level (where you walk in), and the first 2 rows of the upper level. This is because Sea World's largest killer whale can splash up this high. The water is about 50° or so (not the 32° that someone else reported, but it certainly feels that cold sometimes). From experience, I can tell you that it is NOT recommended to have your mouth (and/or eyes) open while you are being splashed unless you want to drink salt water or have your eyes stinging for a good while afterward (Visine does work, though, if you forget to close your eyes). Your 9 y/o will probably like sitting in this soak zone, but I have to agree with angelmom on the 2 y/o unless you feel he is ready for it. I would recommend sitting near the top, where the threat is lesser, if you do choose to sit in this soak zone. Oh yeah, make sure you sit near the platform...the whales visit this platform throughout the show and you'll get great pics of them.

Thanks everyone! I will be super thankful for the child area.. the hardest part about vacationing with a 2 year old is having to coop a normally "always on the go" child up in a strollers day so I'm glad he'll have his moment to stretch his legs and play. I also didn't even think of the salt water.. Looks like we'll stay on the outskirts of the splash areas if not totally out.
Nessas... not only does he remember the string Ray fun, but he says that is his "must do" lol. Thanks for all the info as usual :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter