Secrets, Tips and Tricks for Alaska Cruises

We were on the 5/24-9 night cruise. Our family loved this trip, there is 20 hours a day of pure beauty outside. Nature all around, and you see a lot of it. We were in stateroom 8508, starboard (right) side of the ship, but you see everything at one point of the trip. Skagway we port on "port" side, Juneau you port on starboard side, Ketchikan you port on starboard side.

During Tracey Arm day, the crew will fish an iceberg out, and bring it up on deck. You can watch the whole thing from deck 4 (starboard).

Our only disappointment with the entire trip is the lack of indoor seating for breakfast up in Beach Blanket Buffet (coming from the Fantasy, it is very small). It was still really chilly, so sitting outside was not very popular with our kids. We ended up eating at Parrot Cay a lot of times...not busy at all.

We ate second seating, which was really nice because we were in port a lot later and it allowed us time to stay out longer, not having to rush back to get ready for dinner. However, the kids were more tired because we were so busy with excursions during the day.

Our excursions: Sitka (hiked Tongass National Forrest, Raptor Center); Skagway (Zip Lining, Grizzly Falls) - tons of fun, and beautiful; Juneau (Mendenhall Glacier) - on our own, we took a tour bus, the kids had so much fun hiking around and climbing Nugget Falls; Ketchikan (Bering Sea Crab Tour) - we booked this on our own, much cheaper than Disney. We had so much fun seeing all the different species, Eagles.

Our only regret on this trip was that we didn't go on an excursion to see killer whales, bears, sea otters (Juneau)...people who went on these excursions were bragging so much about everything they saw. Seeing animals in there natural habitat....AMAZING.

Layer, Layer, Layer your clothes. We started out in the morning with several layers and then by the afternoon we had one shirt and a jacket. Hiking boots/waterproof shoes were a smart choice for us. Dining attire seemed more casual than the Caribbean cruises. You see a lot of Jeans/sweatshirts/long sleeved T-Shirts, but on formal night people did dress up.

Sorry for my ranting, hope some info helps.

We were on the 5/24-9 night cruise. Our family loved this trip, there is 20 hours a day of pure beauty outside. Nature all around, and you see a lot of it. We were in stateroom 8508, starboard (right) side of the ship, but you see everything at one point of the trip. Skagway we port on "port" side, Juneau you port on starboard side, Ketchikan you port on starboard side. During Tracey Arm day, the crew will fish an iceberg out, and bring it up on deck. You can watch the whole thing from deck 4 (starboard). Our only disappointment with the entire trip is the lack of indoor seating for breakfast up in Beach Blanket Buffet (coming from the Fantasy, it is very small). It was still really chilly, so sitting outside was not very popular with our kids. We ended up eating at Parrot Cay a lot of times...not busy at all. We ate second seating, which was really nice because we were in port a lot later and it allowed us time to stay out longer, not having to rush back to get ready for dinner. However, the kids were more tired because we were so busy with excursions during the day. Our excursions: Sitka (hiked Tongass National Forrest, Raptor Center); Skagway (Zip Lining, Grizzly Falls) - tons of fun, and beautiful; Juneau (Mendenhall Glacier) - on our own, we took a tour bus, the kids had so much fun hiking around and climbing Nugget Falls; Ketchikan (Bering Sea Crab Tour) - we booked this on our own, much cheaper than Disney. We had so much fun seeing all the different species, Eagles. Our only regret on this trip was that we didn't go on an excursion to see killer whales, bears, sea otters (Juneau)...people who went on these excursions were bragging so much about everything they saw. Seeing animals in there natural habitat....AMAZING. Layer, Layer, Layer your clothes. We started out in the morning with several layers and then by the afternoon we had one shirt and a jacket. Hiking boots/waterproof shoes were a smart choice for us. Dining attire seemed more casual than the Caribbean cruises. You see a lot of Jeans/sweatshirts/long sleeved T-Shirts, but on formal night people did dress up. Sorry for my ranting, hope some info helps.

Great information - it's definitely helped me! We leave in less than two weeks and I keep second guessing the activities we've picked. So good to hear your thoughts on everything. Thanks for sharing!

We were on the 5/24-9 night cruise. Our family loved this trip, there is 20 hours a day of pure beauty outside. Nature all around, and you see a lot of it. We were in stateroom 8508, starboard (right) side of the ship, but you see everything at one point of the trip. Skagway we port on "port" side, Juneau you port on starboard side, Ketchikan you port on starboard side.

During Tracey Arm day, the crew will fish an iceberg out, and bring it up on deck. You can watch the whole thing from deck 4 (starboard).

Our only disappointment with the entire trip is the lack of indoor seating for breakfast up in Beach Blanket Buffet (coming from the Fantasy, it is very small). It was still really chilly, so sitting outside was not very popular with our kids. We ended up eating at Parrot Cay a lot of times...not busy at all.

We ate second seating, which was really nice because we were in port a lot later and it allowed us time to stay out longer, not having to rush back to get ready for dinner. However, the kids were more tired because we were so busy with excursions during the day.

Our excursions: Sitka (hiked Tongass National Forrest, Raptor Center); Skagway (Zip Lining, Grizzly Falls) - tons of fun, and beautiful; Juneau (Mendenhall Glacier) - on our own, we took a tour bus, the kids had so much fun hiking around and climbing Nugget Falls; Ketchikan (Bering Sea Crab Tour) - we booked this on our own, much cheaper than Disney. We had so much fun seeing all the different species, Eagles.

Our only regret on this trip was that we didn't go on an excursion to see killer whales, bears, sea otters (Juneau)...people who went on these excursions were bragging so much about everything they saw. Seeing animals in there natural habitat....AMAZING.

Layer, Layer, Layer your clothes. We started out in the morning with several layers and then by the afternoon we had one shirt and a jacket. Hiking boots/waterproof shoes were a smart choice for us. Dining attire seemed more casual than the Caribbean cruises. You see a lot of Jeans/sweatshirts/long sleeved T-Shirts, but on formal night people did dress up.

Sorry for my ranting, hope some info helps.

Yes, thank you for sharing your experience! I'm still trying to figure out what excursions we should do! :thumbsup2

Great information - it's definitely helped me! We leave in less than two weeks and I keep second guessing the activities we've picked. So good to hear your thoughts on everything. Thanks for sharing!

Maybe I will see you on board June 23rd!

Which is the better side of the ship to be on? Are the pools use-able and crowded? Any other tips, this is great!!

We were on the 9 night cruise on 5/24.

There is beautiful scenery on both sides of the ship. We were starboard and we were dock side at each port. It seemed to me that most of the whale sightings were port side on the first 2 sea days.

I felt sorry for the lifeguards. They were all bundled up and only had a few kids in the goofy pool at a time if any at all. While the water was heated, the air was chilly.

We were on the 9 night cruise on 5/24. There is beautiful scenery on both sides of the ship. We were starboard and we were dock side at each port. It seemed to me that most of the whale sightings were port side on the first 2 sea days. I felt sorry for the lifeguards. They were all bundled up and only had a few kids in the goofy pool at a time if any at all. While the water was heated, the air was chilly.

It's refreshing to hear that Disney is now stationing lifeguards.

Bring binoculars. The scenery is amazing.

I second this. While whales can be seen from the ship, they are very far away. Also, if you want to see any mountain sheep or goats, you will have to have binoculars because they are really hard to see with the naked eye.

We are so looking forward to our 8/24/15 cruise.

Even though I haven't cruised Alaska yet, being from the NW my tips are cruise late in season August if possible for the warmest weather chances.

Layers for sure!

Light packable, waterproof jacket is a must! :thumbsup2

My question...we will be driving so where can or should we park our car?

We are so looking forward to our 8/24/15 cruise.

Even though I haven't cruised Alaska yet, being from the NW my tips are cruise late in season August if possible for the warmest weather chances.

Layers for sure!

Light packable, waterproof jacket is a must! :thumbsup2

My question...we will be driving so where can or should we park our car?

We are on the same cruise!!! :thumbsup2

Ships Internet is good in Alaska bar going up/ down Tracy Arm where it is out due to high mountains either side, however is very good when you stop at Tracy Arm itself.

My advice is be flexible in your clothing and expectations! We did not go in to Tracy Arm last week - they had a hard time the week before ending up not getting very far in at all supposedly, and there was even more ice so we went into Endicott to Dawes glacier instead (still fabulous). It was mid 60s and bright sunshine even running around on Mendenhall Glacier on an excursion, so we thought we overpacked until it dumped on us during the Ketchikan stop. Disney provided rain ponchos on the way out and had towels along with a table full of coffee and cocoa ready for us on the way in. The salmon and bbq on Tracy Arm day is INSIDE BEACH BLANKET on the back deck, NOT at the front of the ship where the buffet tables are set up. We were super disappointed that all they had at the "bbq" was split pea soup until we realized that the bbq was elsewhere and the soup was just an added bonus. :rotfl2:They had salmon, chicken, sausages and beef at the bbq along with some coleslaw and pasta salad. There were two lines for meat so it moved fairly quickly as well.

Deck 4 and the "secret" deck 7 were not as empty as I had imagined, and the Outlook Cove area was more empty than I had thought because you really can't see all that much from the windows unless you are standing up anyway. Once people are at the railing outside you won't be able to see anything. Also for some reason one side of the area was very warm, and the other much cooler.. I am not sure if that is by design or not.

On TA day also I kept seeing Donald and Goofy on deck 10 but could not for the life of me find either mouse! We were all over the ship and even asked Goofy's helper where to go. She said they were on deck 7 going back and forth but we couldn't find them there either. I was very sad I didn't get a picture with Minnie in her parka outisde... we had to settle for lining up inside with both Mouses later that night.

If you get to the port very early (we were there around 10/10:30) the porters will still be helping empty the ship and you will have to flag someone down who can take your bags. A lot of people hopped into line with their luggage just to have to leave it again to drop off their bags. We were not able to board until well after noon due to computer issues and there were no port upgrades available (we were first in line behind the back to back peeps).

"If I Were Not Upon The Sea" was on my must do list since this was my first (and possibly only) chance to see it, but it mysteriously disappeared from the app around 8pm and had been cancelled.

I actively looked around for jeans, t-shirts etc on formal night and did not find any at all. EVERYONE was dressed very nicely (we were in Triton's) but could be coincidence.

Last one I can think of: if you are told that the Cove Cafe does not open until after you disembark the last day don't believe it! Outlook doesn't open up but the lower portion cafe DOES open at 6:30 and closes at its regular time of midnight so you can get coffee that morning before you leave.

Our excursions were the WhitePass Railway in Skagway, the Extended Glacier Trek in Juneau and we were supposed to do Misty Fjords in Ketchikan but were rained out so we took a last minute tour bus instead (it was bad... our van mates just wanted to see eagles for an hour on a two hour tour so we didn't have time to see what we were supposed to).

We stationed ourselves in the outdoor seating area for Beach Blanket Buffet on Tracy Arm day. We got there around 10 and had rail-side seating and a table as well as close access to food and drink :) The only downside is we didn't see the glacier until the ship turned around.

The pools are warm but getting out is the problem. The only one in our group that swam was my 5 year old. They have plenty of towels and blankets to bundle up in, though.

On disembarkation day our family waited in the Diversions lounge. The have cards and board games. It helped pass the time as we had about an hour wait after finishing breakfast. We were the only family in there, but the halls, wavebands lounge, and promenade lounge were packed.

We stayed in Vancouver a couple days after the cruise. If you are taking a taxi after the cruise expect about a 45 minute wait, especially if you need a van. Our hotel was the Residence Inn Downtown. It was a nice hotel, but the location wasn't the greatest. It's a trolley stop but the last trolley drop off is around 4:30 and the whole trolley route takes about 2 1/2 hours so it wasn't exactly as convenient as we had hoped. We didn't get to see as much as we would've liked - we sat through the tour around the city, visited the Museum of Vancouver, and spent a day walking around Stanley Park and visiting the Vancouver Aquarium.

Our excursions were Skagway musher's camp (awesome), Mendenhall Glaicer and Glacier Gardens or Zipline in Juneau (wish I had more time at glacier, gardens sucked, zipline was amazing), and in Ketchikan the lumberjack show and Saxman Native Village (lumberjack show was fun, Saxman was just ok).

"If I Were Not Upon The Sea" was on my must do list since this was my first (and possibly only) chance to see it, but it mysteriously disappeared from the app around 8pm and had been cancelled.

I thought that this was canceled entirely, so imagine my surprise when it was listed in the Navigator for the last night of our 9-night Alaska cruise. We had seen it once before and encouraged all our tablemates to come see it with us.
When we got to Wavebands, Andy made a big point of telling us that they only do it on cruises that are more than 7-nights long. He stressed this more than once.

Sorry you were disappointed, it is a hoot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter