Secrets to DW

These tips are great!

If you want to print out the thread, try the "show printable version" link at the bottom of the page -- that'll help you out a lot and save some time formatting.

I heard there's some thing about a hidden glass tunnel underneath the water to Tom Sawyer's Island, and you have to ask a CM named Wanda to get to it. Is this true, or another case of the "trained squirrels"?

Anyone know about this tunnel? Thanks, Sandra

jjct1 - Thank you so much for putting the thread in a formatted word document! This is great because I can add & delete as needed & catagorize the tips so I can them easier. You saved me so much time. My trip is not for another year :( , but I've saved the word document you made & I'll just keep adding to it. Hope you had a wonderful trip!

imamicki2 - I've heard about this on these boards, but I'm not sure what might increase your chances of getting picked.

Ok,

I am back at our room at the CBR and finally got the Internet working. We are having a great time here, thought I'd share some tips I have learned since we got here.

1) Guest of Honer Badges are great - My 2 year old DD is getting tons of extra attention everywhere we go. From dinners at the restaraunts to character signing, people call her by first name and make us feel special. I checked around. Only two places here sell them; a store at MGM and the Christmas Store at the Market Place at Downtown Disney. They cost $5/each well worth the money. Custom name engraving is free! and takes about 5 minutes. I highly recommend these. I only knew about them because of this thread. Thanx!

2) I highly recommend renting a car, especially with young kids. If you look around, you can find very cheap car rates and all sorts of offer for free upgrades. I checked all of the Internet sites and got a major rental company rate of under $29/day and found several offers for free car upgrade or free days (ended up using BJ Wholesale free car upgrade, had our choice of vehicles).

My wife and I have been here several times and always used Disney Transportation. It has been much easier with our 2 yr old to have the car. You just go anywhere on property including the parks and parking is free. And the trams are always were they are currently parking cars so we never waited. We now watch as we drive by, people waiting for the correct bus and having to go to other stops, etc. If we were going to Pleasure Island at night we would want to use Disney transportation though :)

3) Our 2003 guide books said that there were no longer any early entrys into the parks, but we called to get priority seating and my wife asked the operator. They said that Sunday's and Thursday, Disney resort guest can get in an hour early. Something new called Discover Disney. It wasn't posted in any of the material we got or on the TV schedule.

It was funny getting to the TTC and having them stop all the people there except a select few who had resort passes. All of the people who didn't have resort passes were told to step aside. And they were all asking why we got to go in.

4) Rental Cars are great for these early days. People got to the bus stations at 7:30am. We left at 7:45am. Driving by we saw 100s of people jockeying for position try to get on the Disney buses. There was no way they were getting to MK by 8am. We drove to MK, got waived thru to the parking lot and got to park in the front row of cars. In by 8 am and had 3 rides by the time the park opened by 9am.

5) Tip for leaving MK for a break and then coming back later in the day and trying to park. Instead of parking where they point you, drive up to the attentendent and say you came back after leaving about an hour ago and want to check if your space is still open. They said "Be our guest" we ended up driving through 2 filled parking lots and got a space in the very first row of cars of the front parking lot. So many people leave during the day, lots of spaces up front. Just ask.

6) Fast Pass, Fast Pass, Fast Pass. Used it for Buzz Lightyear, 100s of people in line. Walked right through. People in regular line kept asking how we got to go right by them when they were waiting for so long. They also take a lot of stress out of trying to plan what to do.

-jjct

Thanks for the great tips! This will be my 8th time to DisneyWorld! You can never have enough tips!:p :Pinkbounc

This is a great post! I was already aware of a lot of the stuff but there is always something new to learn about WDW. Thanks!! Annmarie

Originally posted by jjct1
Ok,

I am back at our room at the CBR and finally got the Internet working. We are having a great time here, thought I'd share some tips I have learned since we got here.

1) Guest of Honer Badges are great - My 2 year old DD is getting tons of extra attention everywhere we go. From dinners at the restaraunts to character signing, people call her by first name and make us feel special. <snip> I highly recommend these. I only knew about them because of this thread. Thanx!

We (party of 4 adults) got them for our recent trip...obviously it depends on the CM's you run into, but the most value we got out of them was 3 or 4 CM's using our names. Maybe they work better for the munchkins. :)

2) I highly recommend renting a car, especially with young kids. :)

Being someone who rides public transit everyday, I can't agree more. While the buses work, my vehicle works on my schedule and I'm guaranteed a seat. However, when they're available, we always ride the boat to the park.

3) Our 2003 guide books said that there were no longer any early entrys into the parks, but we called to get priority seating and my wife asked the operator. <snip>
It was funny getting to the TTC and having them stop all the people there except a select few who had resort passes. All of the people who didn't have resort passes were told to step aside. And they were all asking why we got to go in.

Which brings up a good point to keep in mind...books printed months before can provide inaccurate information...the Unofficial guide even admits things change and to always check the current situation. The extra magic hour or whatever they're calling early entry these days is a nice perk for getting in to a park early then bugging out by mid-day when the park begins to fill with those who seem to think vacation is for sleeping in. :)

4) Rental Cars are great for these early days.
/

Especially if you are staying at a resort with _only_ bus service.

5) Tip for leaving MK for a break and then coming back later in the day and trying to park. <snip> Just ask.

Just asking is the number 1 way of getting "extra" at Disney, from calling CRO and hunting for the best rates to getting to ride in the front of the monorail and more.

6) Fast Pass, Fast Pass, Fast Pass
<Snip>
-jjct

Fast pass is useful at busy times of the year, but not needed when the parks are dead...and its almost funny the number of kids whose priority is to fast pass every ride...regardless of there being a line or not.

-Joe

We are here at WDW now. We had the Dole Whip today since I had read so much about it. It was great!!!

Just bumping to keep it going and saying hello to safetymom in the World. Give Pooh a hug for me and tell him I'll see him next October!

SeaShelley

Not sure if this belongs in this thread but there were a couple of good inexpensive items we found that others might be interested in:

1) Went to SciFi Drive In Theater at MGM for dinner. My 2 1/2 yr old DD loved it (I thought she would be scared of all the monsters). For I think $3 extra, kids can get their drinks in a souvenier covered mug with straw. She loved the mug and ended up drinking all of her juice boxes and other drinks out of it. It also comes with a light-up ice cube which you can shut off by banging in a certain direction. This is one of her favorite items we took home.

2) First night we went to the pool at CBR for a quick swim. DD saw all of the other kids with pool toys and she wanted her own. We didn't have time to go into the CBR to buy anything but the next day at SciFi Theater (see above) you can get their kids meal in a souvenier frisbee for $2 extra. It made a great toy to play with in the pool.

3) Most people know about this but I will mention it. Kids Chicken meal at CBR food court comes in a bucket with a shovel. This was a huge hit.

-jjct

wow, great thread. i have a new one. i don't know if the cm's do this often, but at epcot at the WS in England, there was some stuff written on the ground in sidewalk chalk. GUESS THE BEATLES SONGS: and you had to unscramble them. there was also hopscotch. has anyone else seen these?

Last time we were in AK we went inot a shop (can't remember the name) and the CM's were playing tick tac toe on the floor with plush animals with the kids. My daughter played and when she was finished she got a tinkerbell certificate with her name on it. One of her favorite souviniers and it didn't cost a thing!

We also have had two "magical moments" that involve watching the fireworks. Once we were on big thunder mountain railroad clicking up the hill when the fireworks started very cool! And the next trip we were on the astro orbiter when the fireworks started! Very cool memory if you can time it just right!

What wonderful ideas! Don't forget to look for animals on those long bus rides! We have seen armadillos, alligators, squirrels and snakes. Also, take a bike ride from WL to FW and you might come face to face with a pure white deer! I did!

:smooth:
We're going in August (YEAH DISNEY) but last time there, my DS was accosted by a squirrel!!! We were walking through WS and my DS had a bag of peanut m&m's, he sat down by "Canada" and a squirrel ran up his leg!!! My son shooed him away, but he was determined to get a candy...so up his leg he went again. My son then gave him a m&m and the squirrel took it and ran off... Trained? No. Pushey and arrogant? Yes!!!

Thank you for all of your Disney Expertise! We're soaking it all up! And we appreciate everyone taking the time to type in all their secrets and sharing!

Thank you!
;)

Originally posted by jmminarik
There are supposedly a number of corporate lounges around the world. If you work for (or retired from I'd guess) one of the major 'sponsors' at WDW, check with your HR/Benefits department to see if you have one and can use it. If memory servers, there's an AT&T lounge inside Spaceship Earth Ball.

This is a fact! We took the Undiscovered Future World Tour last year and part of the tour took us to the corporate lounge in the Living Seas. Pretty Fancy!! :D

I would highly recomend this tour along with the Keys To The Kingdom tour in MK!! Lots of great information and back stage stuff. You need to be atleast 16 yrs old to go on both of these tours, wouldn't want to ruin the MAGIC for a kid. :bounce:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter