Seizures in dogs

I'd ask what the side affects are to any medicines you give and if there is anything food wise you can give the dog to help. Also ask where is a good place to get the medicine at a reasonable rate.

The insulin and needles we used for our cat was 100.00 for the bottle and 40.00 for the needles when buying it at the vet. Thankfully he's now in remission since he's lost some weight so he no longer needs insulin shots.

Yep, I had a dog with canine epilepsy. She started her seizures about age 4, and had them all her life. She was pretty well controlled on seizures with her phenobarbital, she rarely had seizures once we got the dose right with the vet. It was easy to administer also, and as far as medicine goes not terribly costly. That's the main thing, paying that and making sure we never had a lapse in prescription. She was a wonderful dog and had an otherwise healthy life until 11 started to decline. She did have neuro conditions that were bad her last year of life.

My sister's husky suffered a seizure and we drove him to an emergency vet.

We had just gotten back from camping at the beach and while my sister was diligent about getting him water, he was dehydrated. We aren't sure if he ingested saltwater or not, but he was fine after a fluid injection.

My 13 yo Golden Retriever has been aging seizures over the past year. Sometimes a week apart, sometimes 3 months will go by seizure free. He has a large mass on his abdomen which is most likely on his liver. I think when the toxins build up , in addition to stress, he has a seizure. He generally recovers quickly from them, but it’s so hard to watch him go through it. He stumbles around for a little while afterwards. He lost his hearing after a seizure about 6 months ago. The vet thinks the meds would be too hard on him. He still seems to enjoy his life but I hate seeing him go through seizures!

My 7 yr old Samoyed had a seizure that was caused by him going into diabetic shock when we took him to our vet they were able to diagnose the diabetes because of the seizure. He was on twice a day insulin shots for 5 years after than until he had a stroke at 13 and passed away.

My elderly dog had a series of seizures three years ago. Anyway after the first seizure, I brought her to the vet and she was diagnosed with 'Old Dog Vestibular'. She was given anti nausea meds and then was fine in a few days. 6 months later she had another seizure, which resulted in a permanent head tilt but otherwise fine. I started researching and found that the tick medicine we were giving both of our dogs was in the news for causing seizures. I immediately stopped the tick medicine and she never had another seizure in three years she lived (she passed away last night from unrelated issues, old age and cancer :sad2:). Look into the meds she is taking, just as a precaution...

So very sorry for your loss :sad1:

We have had two dogs who have had seizures. The first dog starting having seizures when he was two or three years old, and the vet thought it was related to uncontrolled allergies. He was allergy tested and began allergy shots. Once he was established on that protocol, he didn't have any more seizures and didn't go on seizure meds.

Our current dog had his first seizure last summer and had several within a few months. He is ten and our vet thinks he likely has a brain tumor :sad1: He can't be put under general anesthesia, but the vet said thee kinds of tumors are generally not treatable anyway. He takes zonisamide every day, but our vet said eventually it won't control his seizures. Every day is a gift - we didn't think he would still be with us.

We have had two dogs who have had seizures. The first dog starting having seizures when he was two or three years old, and the vet thought it was related to uncontrolled allergies. He was allergy tested and began allergy shots. Once he was established on that protocol, he didn't have any more seizures and didn't go on seizure meds.

Our current dog had his first seizure last summer and had several within a few months. He is ten and our vet thinks he likely has a brain tumor :sad1: He can't be put under general anesthesia, but the vet said thee kinds of tumors are generally not treatable anyway. He takes zonisamide every day, but our vet said eventually it won't control his seizures. Every day is a gift - we didn't think he would still be with us.

I have a two year old grief puppy because my dog "probably had an untreatable brain tumor and these things move fast." The dog has now made it through two snow seasons and looks like he'll die of old age. Two years ago we said "as long as the good days outnumber the bad" and while he doesn't get around well any longer (the young dog is mad about the short walks) and needs to be coaxed to eat (Parmesan cheese garnish on his dog food), if you think napping on the couch is a good day, they are all good. May you have as long.

My lab had them. She was given phenobarbital twice a day...just a pill in her food. It didn't stop the seizures, but it lessened the quantity. It was a long, scary road, and I was always so sad that she had to go through them :(

Anyone had any experience with seizures/epilepsy in dogs? If so, what kind of treatment is your pooch receiving for this?

Pretty sure our Valley Bulldog had a seizure in the wee hours of the morning this morning. Thank goodness we were home because her neck swelled a bit and her collar was too tight causing some extra issues. Aside from a few weird little issues (constant sniffing and pacing) she seems to have recovered well this morning.

I've made her a vet appointment and been doing some researching on the topic. Just wanted to see what personal experiences may be and be prepared to ask the right questions when she has her appointment.

Thanks!

So sorry this is happening to your dog. It is so stressful to seem them go through it. I had a shih tzu with true epilepsy that was well controlled by medications. Seizures in dogs are tough. Figuring out the underlying cause can be expensive (if nothing abnormal shows up on blood work or the physical exam, the next step is usually to recommend a MRI to rule out brain tumors if they’re consistently having seizures) and stressful. Speaking with a vet will help you decide the best course of action and if seizure medications are warranted at this time.

There are several seizure medications out there. Usually, vets will put a seizure dog on phenobarbital to help control the seizures. The medication requires a loading dose (which is a higher dose initially given to get the medication in the system up to concentration) followed by the maintenance dosing. It is a twice a day oral pill medication, and it can be very effective. It is relatively inexpensive too. However, there are drawbacks to the medication. It can cause your dog to become ravenously hungry (happened to our dog when she was on it) and if you keep feeding your dog and they gain weight, it can make the medication less effective since dosing is based on body mass. There is also the potential for liver toxicity, so you need to regularly visit your vet to do blood work to make sure nothing is wrong and the medication is in a therapeutic range. Our dog was initially on phenobarbital, but her liver eventually couldn’t handle it.

There is also zonisamide. This medication has fewer side effects than phenobarbital, though it can still cause some liver toxicity, and it can be more expensive to give than phenobarbital. It is also a twice a day pill, and it does not require a loading dose the same way phenobarbital does. We had huge success with zonisamide with our dog and she was on it up until she passed away. We had phenomenal seizure control with her on it and she had zero seizures in three years on it (without medication she would have multiple seizures a day).

There is also potassium bromide. This is usually not a first line seizure medication for a lot of dogs but a supplemental one (probably because of the long time period it takes to get to concentration for it to be effective on its own). We used it with the zonisamide. It is a liquid or capsule medication. It can cause increased thirst, but has overall fewer side effects.

Another medication that is effective that I’ve seen used is Keppra (levetiracetam). This one is also really effective with fewer side effects, though it can be pricier and generally requires a three times a day dosing.

The emergency hospital I worked at usually would load seizure dogs on phenobarbital or zonisamide depending on the presentation and add in Keppra if control on one of the first two was insufficient. The neurologist who came to see appointments monthly really seemed to like zonisamide and Keppra.

With a bulldog, make sure you have a good conversation with your vet about seizures in the breed. I know they have some additional concerns due to their anatomy and physiology and the danger something like seizures can cause to them. Prolonged seizures can cause the body temperature to rise, and in a breed that struggles to breathe, that can get dangerous more quickly. I hope you’re able to find solutions and that this was a one time event!

Thank you all for the condolences. I wanted to add to also do your own research. I truly believe it was the tick medicine causing her seizures and not the old dog vestibular. The tick med name began with an A (it worked amazingly well when the time they actually had ticks-killed them that day, which makes you wonder..). When I called to order more of the tick meds, the vet said she would not recommend 'A' to a dog who had had seizures, which was why I started to research it. We switched both to the chewable Nexgard which was less strong, but has kept the ticks away.
My dog started peeing blood last year February. The vet first diagnosed her with a UTI. It took three months for them to diagnose the tumor in her urinary area, found only by a scope. I just knew there was something more going on and kept pushing. Once the tumor was discovered, she was given 0-2 months to live without chemo (last May) but survived for 10 months without it (it just seemed too invasive for a 15 year old Rott mix). And it was a good 10 months until two weeks ago. I think these vets try hard but aren't always accurate and it's understandable, especially when it comes to elderly dogs.

And Crisi, love the 'cheese and pizza' as medication for your dog! My dog's was Dogsters doggy ice cream! (and whipped cream, pizza cheese, deli turkey..)

Figured I would post an update:

We had our vet appointment and our vet is pretty convinced it was the dose of flea and tick meds that we put on her. He feels like that she had a reaction to it, it caused her neck to swell which made the collar to tight and the seizure was a result of it. I've done some additional research on that brand and there are plenty of reviews to support that theory. To me that's best case scenario - we won't do the drops anymore and hopefully that will prevent any additional seizures from occurring.
He did offer us a prescription chewable for flea/ticks but I think I'm going to hold off a bit for now and let her system relax. He also said that he doesn't treat dogs for seizures unless they have more than one a month.
Thanks for all the input!

Our 10 year old lab mix lost her life last July after 9 years of on and off seizures. She had a series of seizures that paralyzed her.

She was always on pheno(agree with the poster above that a goodrx coupon and $30 a month at CVS is the best choice). We used potassium bromide and another med which I can't remember. Both of those meds were from Costco at a huge savings over local pharmacies and the vet. We budgeted $100 a month for seizure meds alone.

The seizures were mostly at night. The longer she went without one, the more severe it was when it did happen. In terms of dollars, we spent thousands between meds, blood work, overnights at the vet. A trigger was never found but 90% of this happened at night and near holidays.

my doxie, Freckles had his 1st seizure when he was 7 and luckily he was in the bed with us and we talked to him and soothe him till it was over but i've learned to put him on tile floor cause it lasts about 2 mins, and he urinates and then vomits. i know when he is over it he starts wagging his tale, bless him. he's 9 now & he has had 5 total and the vet said it was common and it was just regular seizures but if they become more frequent we would have to do meds. so far, he has always had them when i'm home from work, but this dog is so not stressed.

What type of heartworm preventative do you use? My mini schnauzer was having seizures a couple years ago shortly after we switched her to Trifexis. We finally switched back to her old medicine (Sentinel) and they stopped. The vet didn’t think it was related but I started looking online and found other cases.

Yes, my dog was recently "diagnosed" with epilepsy. She's a 3 year old Rottie, German Shepherd, Coonhound mix (and, yes, she's a weird looking dog! ;)) and GS's have a higher propensity for seizures/epilepsy. My dad is also a veterinarian. Since he lives in Germany, he can't actually treat her but he helps us with his perspective and such. Epilepsy in dogs is actually kind of a silly diagnosis because most often, the vets don't even really know what is causing the seizures unless they do a battery of tests. Unless something comes back on a blood test that they can definitively point to, they will typically use idiopathic epilepsy as the diagnosis.

For younger dogs, phenobarbital can cause liver damage with extended use so it is generally reserved for older dogs. My girl ended up being put on Zonisamide which is ironically also used to treat humans. She's been on it now about a month. So far, she has had 1 breakthrough seizure only 2 days after starting on the medication and last week she ended up having a really rough day where we think she had 5 cluster seizures (we know of at least 3 and suspect at least 2 more).

Idiopathic Epilepsy is a tough thing in dogs as the medication options are somewhat limited and it can be frustrating (and expensive) to experiment to find the "right" combination if you ever find it at all. Currently, we're paying roughly $40/month for our girl's medication.

Anyone had any experience with seizures/epilepsy in dogs? If so, what kind of treatment is your pooch receiving for this?

Pretty sure our Valley Bulldog had a seizure in the wee hours of the morning this morning. Thank goodness we were home because her neck swelled a bit and her collar was too tight causing some extra issues. Aside from a few weird little issues (constant sniffing and pacing) she seems to have recovered well this morning.

I've made her a vet appointment and been doing some researching on the topic. Just wanted to see what personal experiences may be and be prepared to ask the right questions when she has her appointment.

Thanks!
My Yorkie started having seizures in his face that would cause him to collapse and eventually lose eyesight. He started taking a steroid which helped slightly but he progressively worsened and was walking in circles and into walls. He was 13 and a half. The neurologist thinks it was a brain tumor and one night he just could not relax and had no sense of where he was and I had to mike that awful decision. It will be two years in June and I miss him like crazy but to do invasive procedures on his little body was not an option. I always said age 10 and under was my limit on major surgeries. This type of cancer you seldom read about longevity after treatment and it would have been painful for him.I suggest an MRI is your pet is fairly young and a neuro workup. Eplilepsy would be the same Medication Kepra. Sorry to hear about all the pets.. we love them so!

Thank you all for the condolences. I wanted to add to also do your own research. I truly believe it was the tick medicine causing her seizures and not the old dog vestibular. The tick med name began with an A (it worked amazingly well when the time they actually had ticks-killed them that day, which makes you wonder..). When I called to order more of the tick meds, the vet said she would not recommend 'A' to a dog who had had seizures, which was why I started to research it.
Yes, and different dogs will react differently to these medicines! My dog does not have seizures, but we had a similar concern with his flea treatment. He was on Frontline Plus for years without problems, but we decided to try Advantage II. That seemed fine, and when that ran out, I bought their other version, Advantix II, which repels fleas and ticks along with killing them. (He has a flea allergy, and although he's only had fleas once so far, I thought repelling sounded good so he didn't have to be bitten first.)

He started having muscle spasms, especially his back legs. When lying down, his leg would kick every couple of seconds. He's getting older, so at first we didn't make the connection to the flea treatment and thought it was just a weird thing. He didn't seem in pain, and I monitored him for a few days. It stopped happening until the next month when I applied the Advantix again. That very night, the leg spasms were back and I started searching on Google for similar experiences and found other people who had the same issues. I freaked out that I might have accidentally harmed him, washed him with Dawn to get as much of it off as I could. He's never had those muscle spasms again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter