Selfie sticks no longer allowed at Walt Disney World

I know I'm going to be in the minority but I disagree with this decision. I 100% support not allowing the sticks on rides. But I've never personally had any issues with anyone else's selfie sticks (will they also ban the Go Pro sticks then?), and personally I think the sticks can be handy when you want a group photo that has more than 3 people in it in front of something. The stick allows more of the background than your arm can reach for, and I think they should be allowed in those cases. Sure, there are idiots who might walk around with them not paying attention (though I have yet to witness this personally), but banning them entirely from the parks in my opinion is lame and unfair to those who properly use the device.

I think the problem is that they tried banning them on rides. And people would not comply. It resulted in too many ride stoppages.

To those who asked earlier about tripods. Tripods that can be folded and put into a SMALL bag will be allowed. As to what is a "small bag" is at the discretion of a Main Entrance coordinator/manager, Security CM or a Guest Relations CM/manager. I would think from the looks of the training illustration, 24 to 28 inches long. Tripods that are at a "professional quality level", such that when fully extended are carried on shoulder, will not be permitted.

Just my $.02 - Don't flame the messenger.

Thank you for that! Mine folds down to about 18" in its bag, so it looks like I'm good. I bought mine with an eye toward being able to comfortably carry it at Disney when Disney, although it stays in a locker most of the day.

For Go-Pro folks, the articulated, expandable extendable handle is not allowed. Just the hand held portion of the device.

What about a small hand grip (6" or smaller) with wriststrap, that is not extendable?

To those who asked earlier about tripods. Tripods that can be folded and put into a SMALL bag will be allowed. As to what is a "small bag" is at the discretion of a Main Entrance coordinator/manager, Security CM or a Guest Relations CM/manager. I would think from the looks of the training illustration, 24 to 28 inches long. Tripods that are at a "professional quality level", such that when fully extended are carried on shoulder, will not be permitted.
They do define it as a standard backpack ... which they otherwhere define as a maximum dimension of 22". So 22" collapsed ... although I'd suggest going even smaller than that, at 20-ish inches it fits in a carry-on bag, for instance.

I think the problem is that they tried banning them on rides. And people would not comply. It resulted in too many ride stoppages.

Part of the issue with just banning them on rides is the fact that you're not really ABLE to do so. You are trusting people not to use them which, as we can see, is too hard for many people to understand. So you have really no control over the ban besides punishment AFTER it happens... which means the person has already caused a dangerous situation. By banning them from the parks, they fix the issue BEFORE it can happen.

We go to the parks fairly often, about twice a year for 2 weeks at at time. We were out in December and all was as usual, selfies but nothing obnoxious. When we were over in June we were flabbergasted by the amount of people taking selfies in the oddest places, with and without the infernal sticks, on rides. One couple in front of us on Big Thunder spent the entire ride taking selfie after selfie... I love taking pictures at WDW, but there is a limit to what you want to capture, surely? When do you get to live in the moment?

My travelling companion got slapped in the face by a selfie stick in the crowd this trip, so I can't say I'll miss their presence. On a serious note, these really do have serious implications. Does anyone remember the person who lost an eye at Universal on Dueling Dragons when a penny flew from another guest into someones face? Projectiles travelling at that speed, even Big Thunder / Space Mountain speeds could really do some damage if it hits someone. The only thing I want to leave WDW with is a few overpriced souvenirs and that odd tanline I always have from my sandals :rolleyes:

I take precious few photos after about day 3. My camera stinks, I don't really look at them much and I just enjoy living in the moment.

I am sorry but selfie sticks are not new at all. In fact they have been around a long time. Here is a photo I took in 2007 at the Grand Canyon:
You%20gotta%20love%20these%20tourists%201.jpg

People don't generally take umbrellas on rides though, or open them up if they do. I think the issue is the ride safety.
Definite ride safety if they are opening up umbrellas on rides. This struck me so funny! Not so funny-- on this June trip I was almost hit by older teen taken umbrella down from above his head (but not folding it) and doing some odd motion of swinging it. That was scary and annoying!

Personally, I'm kind of bummed to hear this. I rarely use my selfie stick extended but it makes taking video and pictures with my cell phone easier because I have the handle. Its makes it easier to hold it steady.

Personally, I'm kind of bummed to hear this. I rarely use my selfie stick extended but it makes taking video and pictures with my cell phone easier because I have the handle. Its makes it easier to hold it steady.
Handles that screw into your tripod socket exist for that. Check Amazon or B&H or Adorama. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter