SEMI-LIVE onsite/offsite dining adventures continue SOLO - Aug ‘23 (Updated 8/14 Steakhouse 71)

elaine amj

DIS Veteran
I spent 5 weeks through January and February 2023 in WDW with DH - dining review here: https://www.disboards.com/threads/semi-live-5-weeks-of-onsite-offsite-dining-adventures-jan-feb-‘23-7-9-final-update.3906994/

Warning: long backstory and intro (I am very wordy!) - feel free to jump to the next post for the actual dining review.

We live in Canada and it had always been our retirement plan to snowbird in WDW. Well, our dream came through in the final year of his life oh boy was it beautiful. We had sooo much food!

2EDB5ED4-26DB-4FEF-B969-317918BF655B.jpeg

DH battled nasopharyngeal cancer for 7 years and at the end it spread to his brain affecting his ability to walk, talk, and speak before a massive brain hemorrhage took his life. My DD22, DS20 and I were with him as he took his last breath peacefully on July 7, 2023.

It was somehow such a beautiful moment and my children and I felt so much at peace at that point. We had done everything we could and had poured out so much love on him that we felt no regrets.

We did a direct cremation with no observers and then later held an Open House and Memorial Service. It did my heart good to hear the impact he made on so many lives and all the events were filled with so much joy - it was just so appropriate for the way DH lived, My inlaws were a little upset the mood was joyful vs somber but eventually understood my decisions.

A week or two before he passed, DH laboriously (we never moved much past learning the alphabet in sign language) signed out to his friend, “I have peace. I have joy”.

Now that he is gone, I choose joy. I miss him, I get emotional thinking about him, and I dearly love talking about him. But my days are filled with joy, not overwhelming sadness, and the peace God has given me is incredible.
So just 3 weeks later, DMom74, DD22, DS20, his GF19 and I took advantage of a rare free week between school and work and went back home to our happy place in WDW. My brother, his wife, and DN9 joined us a few days later from the UK but it was way too chaotic a trip to write reviews lol.

My kids and I chose a little Goofy Nuimo stuffy to carry around with us and it’s been a lovely way to remember DH.

38203E4E-97EE-4B1B-A164-902FE8D6941F.jpeg

I also got a photo with Goofy!

53CFF77A-3CF7-42EA-B4D8-7D386B8602CC.jpeg

Everyone has gone home now and I am staying on for another 2 weeks. My best friend will join me in 5 days but for now, I wanted some solo time and it’s been lovely.

Last edited:
Today, I made reservations for AK but woke up later so decided to go to DHS instead. Before I left the room at 10:30am, I made a 1:35pm ADR at Hollywood Brown Derby for their famous Cobb Salad.
Was planning to have a breakfast of a combo of Sweet Cream Cheese Pretzel and Jalapeno Cheese Pretzel but the CM had to reset his machine so I went to watch the Lightning McQueen show.

When I got out, I noticed Rock n Roller Coaster had just reopened after a breakdown and I hopped into the 5 min line. I got out and went straight back into the single rider queue with an even shorter line. Wasn’t even expecting to ride anything today - woot!!

Afterwards I was really hungry so thankfully they were able to seat me at an hour early.
I had a very attentive server and got started off with free bread service:

22DFF115-E3A0-4F29-B52F-F0AAE8A0051C.jpeg

The bread was kinda normal but somehow addictive after a few bites and I polished off 3 rolls. That’s exactly how I remember it from a few years ago.

Then the famous Cobb Salad showed up.

000A1824-7558-420D-BF27-EBFF09AD8061.jpeg

It was as good as it ever was. Odd as it is so finely chopped. But every bite is balanced with multiple flavours and everything goes together.

Reasonably priced meal for one:

F98D149A-9D2F-49CC-B99D-036DA6C62602.jpeg

Later I got my favourite frozen lemonade ($4.99) from the refreshment stand not too far from Starbucks. Unfortunately this time it was slightly too tart for my liking. I don’t know if they didn’t mix it like normal or something. Not as good as it normally is.

CE14824D-29A1-4240-8BCB-C95606A36F06.jpeg

Next up - Steakhouse 71 for dinner!

When I first started trying a couple of days ago, the earliest Steakhouse 71 ADR I could get was for 8:30pm. I kept trying and around 4:30pm this afternoon, snagged a 6:10pm ADR (had to make it for 4, even though I was a party of 1. Normally I modify to 1-2 people but u cannot modify within 2 hours).

Showed up as a party of 1 about 6:15pm and was seated fairly promptly.

I ordered a vegetable Wellington, which I loved last time.

76722443-21CC-4644-BE47-0C107828D0B4.jpeg

Unfortunately I found the artichoke taste too intense this time. The pastry was as lovely as before though. I subbed the veggies for a parsnip puree and it was also a rather intense flavour that I didn’t end up liking as much as before. The tomatoes were just the bites of freshness I needed though!

I decided to get the chocolate cake in honour of DH as he loved all things chocolate. For $11, it is a screaming deal.

F8033114-7C8E-4DD4-AE80-0AB71E142D64.jpeg

It tasted like a lovely Black Forest Cake - a little lighter and spongier and not so rich. Really good rendition today.

Alas, I only managed about 2/3 before giving up and getting a box 😂

8781CE3C-C389-49BC-8106-E499238806B4.jpeg

Pretty horrified at the bill though. $33 before taxes and tips. Compared to Sebastian’s Bistro’s feast for $29.

I might tone it down a bit and do more QS. We’ll see. I have a bunch more ADRs already planned lol.

Glad to see you are doing another review! It sounds like your family had a great time remembering your DH during your trip together :lovestruc

Here! Wishing you Joy. Peace.in abundance.

I've enjoyed reading your reviews and reports in the past. I am so sorry for your loss and rejoice in your peace and joy.

I’m so glad to hear that you are back at your happy place. May all the memories you have of shared time with DH be a blessing and may there be many new joys to experience!

Happy to see another report from you but sorry to learn of the circumstances. I think your DH would be so pleased to know you're in WDW and choosing joy. One of the many things I love about Disney World is that it's full of so many memories for me. I totally agree with you on the Brown Derby rolls. They're very addictive. I think it's the salted butter. I also love the cobb salad. Sorry the wellington at 71 didn't quite live up to the memory but wow does that cake look incredible!!

I’m so glad you and your kids have been able to continue making memories together. From what you have shared of your husband, I can imagine he would be happy to see you finding joy amid sadness.

Disney TS add up so quickly! On our last trip we ended up cancelling most of our reservations and eating mostly quick service. But there is something so nice about slowing down and appreciating the magic.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter