Semi Off-topic Aulani

lovetotraveltx

DIS Veteran
We are in Oahu for 1 week next August. I booked 1 night at the Marriott Waikiki upon arrival in Honolulu and then 6 nights in Aulani. We arrive at 2.

Anything I can do that day, including dinner in Waikiki area. And, anything you recommend for next morning and drive to Aulani. Can we take a sightseeing route that avoids some driving later in our trip. We do want to hit safeway or target right before getting to Aulani as well.

We will have a car the whole time.

Thank you!

We drove to Pearl Harbor on Saturday. On the way back to Aulani we stopped at Leonard's Masalada truck, then drove to Target for food shopping, and picked up lunch from Aloha Salads next door. You could easily do all that en route from Waikiki - get Pearl Harbor/Arizona memorial tickets online now for 10 am, arrive at 9, you'll be done the basic tour by 11:30, and after making the stops I described above, at Aulani by 2. For dinner in Waikiki I would suggest Duke's.

Thanks but already did Pearl Harbor. Any other suggestions in that area?

It's a Sunday. Swap meet at aloha stadium? Catholic mass.

No real rush to get to Aulani as we will have full resort day on Monday

We tend not to schedule anything on our travel day since the jet lag from the East Coast tends to wipe us out the first day. You don't say who your travel party consists of, but our first day on Oahu usually consists of a stop at the Royal Hawaiian Mai Tai bar for a drink, a walk on Waikiki beach and a quick dip and then happy hour at Dukes.

We also will do some window shopping on Kalakaua Avenue and maybe hit the Ala Moana center. You could also stop by Punchbowl cemetery or pop in the Honolulu Zoo.

We tend not to schedule anything on our travel day since the jet lag from the East Coast tends to wipe us out the first day. You don't say who your travel party consists of, but our first day on Oahu usually consists of a stop at the Royal Hawaiian Mai Tai bar for a drink, a walk on Waikiki beach and a quick dip and then happy hour at Dukes.

We also will do some window shopping on Kalakaua Avenue and maybe hit the Ala Moana center. You could also stop by Punchbowl cemetery or pop in the Honolulu Zoo.

Sounds great for first day.

We are me, dh and 2 dd's in their 20's

Glad to help. Dukes on Sundays is the best! I believe they have live music there every Sunday late afternoon, the drinks and the pu pu's are delicious, and it's a great start to any Hawaiian vacation.

Oh and it's quick walk on Waikiki Beach from the Royal Hawaiian to the Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach where Dukes is - it's the next hotel over.

Anyone else?

I've been reading up on Ohau and after everything I read I would be nervous leaving my bags in the car while driving to Aulani. I read you should go to Aulani and make a bag drop then go tour. ?????????? Not sure if this is true but just wanted to tell you to be aware. :(

Anyone else?

For some pretty sightseeing before you go to Aulani, drive up to the north shore of Oahu. You can drive all the way along the coast and the scenery is amazing.

Hawaii is like everywhere else in the world, crime does happen, so you have to be smart about it. I wouldn't do a full tour with my bags in the car, but if you drive around the north shore and stop at some beaches, you'll be able to keep your car in full view.

For some pretty sightseeing before you go to Aulani, drive up to the north shore of Oahu. You can drive all the way along the coast and the scenery is amazing.

Hawaii is like everywhere else in the world, crime does happen, so you have to be smart about it. I wouldn't do a full tour with my bags in the car, but if you drive around the north shore and stop at some beaches, you'll be able to keep your car in full view.

Good to know. Thanks! :thumbsup2

Thank you! And I wasn't thinking about the loaded car!

How close is aloha swap meet to Marriott and is that on Sundays? Maybe we can do that and diamond head with bags still at Marriott

We did the Diamond Head hike before we headed to Aulani. If you have never done that before it took about an hour to hike (we hung out and gawked at the views for awhile). You could do that then drive around the island before ending up at Aulani.
We spent some time in Waikiki (3 days) before we went to Aulani. We stayed at Hilton Hawaiian Village. On Sundays they have a non-demoninational church service on the beach. Very neat. I wish I could have swayed my family to go - but pool was on the brain.

Diamond head is on that side, so in Hanama Bay, beautiful beach to snorkel. The ride up the east side is beautiful. We are retired military so we also went into Bellows!!! The prettiest beach on the whole island!!

I would second Diamond Head or snorkeling at Hanauma Bay or both.

We did both in one day. We went to Diamond about 7 am. Went to breakfast in Waikiki then drove to Hanauma Bay to snorkel. Great experience snorkeling there with a large sea turtle.

The only thing I would caution is to either drop your bags off or have the Sheraton hold them. I wouldn't park my car in either Diamond Head's or Hanauma Bay's lot with my luggage in it.

If you want something to do on the way to Aulani, you could visit the Dole Pineapple plantation. It's only about 20 minutes from Aulani. It's very touristy, but if you're a Dole Whip fan (and I am), you can get some there.

I would not do snorkeling or the Diamond Head hike on the day of arrival. The jet lag will definitely get to you. Have fun! Aulani is fantastic!

We drove to Pearl Harbor on Saturday. On the way back to Aulani we stopped at Leonard's Masalada truck, then drove to Target for food shopping, and picked up lunch from Aloha Salads next door. You could easily do all that en route from Waikiki - get Pearl Harbor/Arizona memorial tickets online now for 10 am, arrive at 9, you'll be done the basic tour by 11:30, and after making the stops I described above, at Aulani by 2. For dinner in Waikiki I would suggest Duke's.

There is also a relatively new Foodland supermarket about 9 minutes from Aulani (in Kapolei) that is large, clean, well stocked, and reasonably priced (by Hawaii standards). We stocked our fridge and never had to go down to the restaurants for breakfast (which would easily have run us $25 per day at the Ulu Cafe). Even bought some ground Kona coffee for the in-room coffee maker and it was outstanding!

Haunauma Bay is about 10 miles from waikiki. Even if you cant get a late checkout, bell services at the Sheraton will hold your bags for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter