Sensory friendly bathroom tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnderneathAMagicMoon

Mouseketeer
Does anyone have tips regarding relatively more sensory friendly bathrooms at Magic Kingdom and Epcot? My son is just now using somewhat quieter public restrooms but I think if there were auto flushes and hand dryers going off in all directions he’d panic (he can do the McDonald’s 2-3 stall bathroom but not the Target multi-stall, as a point of reference.) While he’s gotten much better with noise in general, something about those specific sounds makes him very anxious. Unfortunately I can’t get him to wear headphones as he also has tactile sensitivities and he won’t keep them on.

Bathrooms are something that I rarely paid attention to in the past so I can’t remember much about them. Are there single unit family restrooms anywhere? Bathrooms with far fewer people? Ones to avoid (if the hand dryers are going nonstop that would be really rough.)

Does anyone have tips regarding relatively more sensory friendly bathrooms at Magic Kingdom and Epcot? My son is just now using somewhat quieter public restrooms but I think if there were auto flushes and hand dryers going off in all directions he’d panic (he can do the McDonald’s 2-3 stall bathroom but not the Target multi-stall, as a point of reference.) While he’s gotten much better with noise in general, something about those specific sounds makes him very anxious. Unfortunately I can’t get him to wear headphones as he also has tactile sensitivities and he won’t keep them on.

Bathrooms are something that I rarely paid attention to in the past so I can’t remember much about them. Are there single unit family restrooms anywhere? Bathrooms with far fewer people? Ones to avoid (if the hand dryers are going nonstop that would be really rough.)
Disney has a list of companion bathroom locations. Also, post it note placed over flush sensor can give you control when toilet flushes

That’s great, thank you! Companion bathrooms would be perfect.
Just a couple things about the Companion Restrooms FYI:
- you didn’t mention how old/big he is, but the Companion Restrooms are set up to be ADA (Americans with Disabilities) compliant, so they have higher raised seat toilets and higher sinks that a wheelchair user can roll up under. If he’s small, he might need more assistance because of the height.

- most of the Companion Restrooms have paper towels, not hand dryers, but they all (at least in my experience) have auto flush toilets. Some of them are very touchy and will go off with just a slight movement. So, the post it note hint is still helpful.

- there is sometimes a pretty long wait to use them. Many disabled guests need more time in the restroom than non-disabled people. We have sometimes waited 10-15 minutes even with no one in line in front of us because it took the people using it that long to finish

Just a couple things about the Companion Restrooms FYI:
- you didn’t mention how old/big he is, but the Companion Restrooms are set up to be ADA (Americans with Disabilities) compliant, so they have higher raised seat toilets and higher sinks that a wheelchair user can roll up under. If he’s small, he might need more assistance because of the height.

- most of the Companion Restrooms have paper towels, not hand dryers, but they all (at least in my experience) have auto flush toilets. Some of them are very touchy and will go off with just a slight movement. So, the post it note hint is still helpful.

- there is sometimes a pretty long wait to use them. Many disabled guests need more time in the restroom than non-disabled people. We have sometimes waited 10-15 minutes even with no one in line in front of us because it took the people using it that long to finish
That’s great, thank you! Companion bathrooms would be perfect.
Once you get to know the Disney layout, some bathrooms off the beat and path are rarely used. It’s always good to have a plan B

Just a suggestion 😊💕
Would he possibly like to listen to music on a iPod (or some type of device) with earphones.
Maybe if he likes this it could help a little.

Just a suggestion 😊💕
Would he possibly like to listen to music on a iPod (or some type of device) with earphones.
Maybe if he likes this it could help a little.
Thanks for the suggestion! Unfortunately he can’t tolerate earphones of any sort yet. He’s not super fussy about the texture of his clothes but anything that he doesn’t wear every day - hat, sunglasses, earphones, bandaids, that kind of thing - he can’t tolerate.

Thank you for all of the info! Can’t say that making a potty map will be as fun as the rest of my trip research, lol, but I think that’s what I’ll try to do to have some options and backup options.

Thank you for all of the info! Can’t say that making a potty map will be as fun as the rest of my trip research, lol, but I think that’s what I’ll try to do to have some options and backup options.
as was mentioned earlier there can be a longer wait for companion restrooms can take longer and that person can not hurry for you. I am one of those people and had a family knock and complain that I was taking too long. their young child could not wait and ended up wetting herself. they were mad when I refused to buy her clothes since I caused the accident and just walked away. not saying you would be like this but just be ready in case it does happen to take longer than expected.

as was mentioned earlier there can be a longer wait for companion restrooms can take longer and that person can not hurry for you. I am one of those people and had a family knock and complain that I was taking too long. their young child could not wait and ended up wetting herself. they were mad when I refused to buy her clothes since I caused the accident and just walked away. not saying you would be like this but just be ready in case it does happen to take longer than expected.
Wow, the nerve of those people.

There is an easier way than making a map….
You can find them in the My Disney Experience app.
Tap on the map icon in the bottom menu bar of the app (it looks like a teardrop shaped pointer).
When the map opens, use the FILTER on the left side to choose the park you are interested in/visiting. Then, when the map reopens, tap on the category drop-down and choose RESTROOMS.
That will show the restrooms as icons on the map. If you tap an icon, it will list the restrooms in that area, plus the Companion Restroom if there is one there.
IMG_2272.jpegIMG_2273.jpeg

If you tap on the name of the restroom, it will show its Location on the map and offer to show you directions to get there.

If you want a list of restroom, tap SHOW LIST. It won’t filter by Companion Restroom, but you can take a screenshot and highlight them or make yourself a list from that list.

IMG_2275.jpeg

Yes.
many years ago, someone called Security on us because they said we were taking too long. It was a man and woman with a baby. They told Security that they needed to use the Companion Restroom to change their baby and they wanted us removed!
The Security CM knocked on the door and asked if we were OK - I told him we were, but that I was in with a disabled person who needed my help and we would be around 5-10 minutes longer. The family was not happy with that, especially since the CM told them the Men’s and Women’s Restrooms had changing tables or they could go to Baby Care.
They waited until we came out and my ‘karma moment’ for them was that Companion Restroom didn’t have a changing table.

You can usually hear people who are talking outside of the Companion Restroom. If I hear someone outside, I usually go close to the door, tell them I’m assisting a disabled person and give an estimate of how much longer we will be. Most thank me

Don’t give up on the ear phones. I linked my grandsons iPhone to a pair just to get him to try them. It worked for short periods of time.
I know they would help him so I showed him a blue pair (favorite color-non Bluetooth) and brought them during outings. When the opportunity presented itself and he put his fingers in his ears, I placed the ear muffs on and he accepts them… actually asks for them. Now that he’ll wear them, I’m looking at noise cancelling models.

https://www.earasers.net/collections/safety-industrial-earplugs

I made my original purchase with the vendor directly and had excellent service until I had a good fit and the appropriate noise-reduction. I ended up with a size small and the highest filter. My son wears and extra small. I recently bought a second set for back-up from Amazon and saved some $$.

These are far more comfortable than the foam plugs. I used to always have an ulcer somewhere in the ear canal of at least one ear. I cannot do the large headphones - too much touching/squeezing. And I haven't found any noise cancelling ear buds that don't have a buzzy sound that also bothers me.

There is an easier way than making a map….
You can find them in the My Disney Experience app.
Tap on the map icon in the bottom menu bar of the app (it looks like a teardrop shaped pointer).
When the map opens, use the FILTER on the left side to choose the park you are interested in/visiting. Then, when the map reopens, tap on the category drop-down and choose RESTROOMS.
That will show the restrooms as icons on the map. If you tap an icon, it will list the restrooms in that area, plus the Companion Restroom if there is one there.
View attachment 765966View attachment 765967

If you tap on the name of the restroom, it will show its Location on the map and offer to show you directions to get there.

If you want a list of restroom, tap SHOW LIST. It won’t filter by Companion Restroom, but you can take a screenshot and highlight them or make yourself a list from that list.

View attachment 765969
That’s awesome, thank you!

Don’t give up on the ear phones. I linked my grandsons iPhone to a pair just to get him to try them. It worked for short periods of time.
I know they would help him so I showed him a blue pair (favorite color-non Bluetooth) and brought them during outings. When the opportunity presented itself and he put his fingers in his ears, I placed the ear muffs on and he accepts them… actually asks for them. Now that he’ll wear them, I’m looking at noise cancelling models.
He seemed like he was going to go for them at one point, then started insisting that I cover his ears instead. I think having the physical contact with me is reassuring in addition to blocking the noise. Good point that it’s wise to not give up though! So many times just when I think he’ll never want to do X, he surprises me and all of the sudden he’s fine with it. It sounds like you’ve done a lot to help your grandson, btw!

My kids were always very bothered by the loud noises in large bathrooms (one still is), and we go to baby care if we can. I’m not sure how old your son is, but kids of all ages can use it (toilets are shorter there, so maybe not ideal for an older child). It’s much, much quieter. Downside is there is only one in each park, so you might be far from it when needed. For other trips, I put ear protectors on her. We keep them for the fireworks anyway, so I always have them. Our current pair isn’t totally noise-canceling, on purpose, because she still likes to hear, but it’s all very muffled.

Wow, just wow. I can’t believe someone blamed you for their child wetting themselves. When my mom was dealing with her ostomy bag, sometimes it was just a quick remove and empty, and sometimes the mount would come loose and everything would need to be replaced, which took time to get the seal right. She couldn’t see it well enough to do it herself, so companion bathrooms were the only option we had when out in public. I don’t know how I would have reacted if someone had harassed us for the amount of time we needed to get it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter