September 23-30, 2017 Disney Fantasy: Tortola/St.Thomas/CC

I thought of that also.
I just heard from a lady this morning, however, that we were supposed to do an excursion with in Tortola, and based on her description, I doubt we will port there. She said the prison collapsed and prisoners have escaped and the looting is terrible. It breaks my heart to know that these people on the islands are going through this, but I would have to think that's too much of a safety risk for Disney to go there right now.

I certainly understand why everyone would think it inappropriate to port in St Thomas and Tortola, but to look at it from another angle, the people/vendors living there need our money now more than ever. So, is not going possibly hurting them even worse? Also, the ships can carry and deliver relief supplies to the islands when they dock if they keep their itineraries. I can understand either way, but just wanted to present an alternate line of thinking.

I don't think anyone here suggested that our cruise not go to St. Thomas and Tortola. Absolutely true that once it is possible for cruises to return, tourists dollars will help. Not sure cruise ships have enough extra storage to make much of a dent with relief supplies though??? At any rate, we have no control over it. It is just fun to speculate where we may sail. I just hope our cruise is not cancelled.

I think there are many things that might prevent sailing the original itinerary. Sand or silt may have filled in the port area. The local security and port personnel must be able to get to work. Electricity must be restored. I am sure there are many more issues that have to be resolved. Just a tragedy for those islands.

Have you seen the coverage on Barbuda? Just heart breaking.

I just heard from a lady this morning, however, that we were supposed to do an excursion with in Tortola, and based on her description, I doubt we will port there. She said the prison collapsed and prisoners have escaped and the looting is terrible. It breaks my heart to know that these people on the islands are going through this, but I would have to think that's too much of a safety risk for Disney to go there right now.

Sad indeed.

just awful. I emailed the charter on St Thomas, didn't get a reply yet.

I don't think anyone here suggested that our cruise not go to St. Thomas and Tortola. Absolutely true that once it is possible for cruises to return, tourists dollars will help. Not sure cruise ships have enough extra storage to make much of a dent with relief supplies though??? At any rate, we have no control over it. It is just fun to speculate where we may sail. I just hope our cruise is not cancelled.

I think there are many things that might prevent sailing the original itinerary. Sand or silt may have filled in the port area. The local security and port personnel must be able to get to work. Electricity must be restored. I am sure there are many more issues that have to be resolved. Just a tragedy for those islands.

Have you seen the coverage on Barbuda? Just heart breaking.
Yes, it's breaks my heart to see St. Martin and Barbuda both. Just thinking that there was no where to run and even the most sturdy buildings seemed to have been leveled or flooded makes me feel so sad for all those people that we are always so happy to see every time we visit an island.

I've been thinking about packing an extra suitcase full of personal products, varying sizes of kids clothing & underwear, packaged food, school supplies, etc. to drop off at a local church IF we still dock at Tortola and/or St. Thomas. Anyone have other suggestions? And how soon would we know if there are itinerary changes? I believe they are closed at least through tomorrow. Have never been in this situation!

Anyone get an email from D.C. saying they had not checked in? Just got this email an hour ago even though I checked in back in June. Makes me wonder if they are resetting things in their computers? Logged on and still see our original itinerary and original booked excursions so who knows?!

Well, it's now a Western Caribbean, I'll miss the 3rd day at sea but this is still going to be a great vacation. I'll see all you guys next week!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter