Seriously considering DVC!

*TheWigs*

Mouseketeer
I spoke at length with Andy from DVC and I think we are going to buy! Looking at BLT 160 pt...he will give us a $12 pp discount as well as back our sell date to June 1st 2012 to accommodate a 2 week stay at BLT in June! I can't believe we didn't figure this out sooner?... Would have loved to get in at $112 per point at BLT when they first opened several years ago! Live and learn, I suppose... ::yes::

We've been owners since 2010 and love our DVC. One suggestion though...you might want to head over to the section about purchasing DVC and make sure you understand resale options before you sign the papers. There are some disadvantages, but resale is alot cheaper than buying direct.

Either way, I'm sure you'll enjoy the many trips to come!

Good luck on your decision. :)

:) Yes, please take the time to read the DVC stickies to make sure you understand the purchase. He is not "giving" you anything. You are already paying for the points he is back dating...he just makes you think you are getting something. Our Guide also let us bank points for a trip. Many times they will bank your points past the deadline to secure the sale. Please look into resale. You could get the same points for almost 1/2 price--wouldn't be able to use them for DCL or ABD, some other limitations but if you are only going to stay DVC resale is the way to go.

You can also break the contract into smaller contracts to leave for children. For instance a 200 point contract could be broken into 2-100 point contracts then each child could have one, Smaller contracts are easier to resale if needed. Do your research. We love our DVC!!

You need to be sure this is a good UY (Use Year) for you also....just becasue they suggest one doen't mean it will be the right fit--read the stickies.

Good Luck :cheer2:

As PP stated, he is not "giving" you anything. You are getting what you are paying for. Buying direct can be a great way to go, but resale should not be overlooked. You will save a huge amount of money!! Research the limitations to see if you would be ok with them. If you are thinking of buying direct through Disney for financing purposes, resale can help you in that aspect as well.

Thanks for your replies! I did realize that the back dating of points was pretty standard.. ;) We ended up buying direct at BLT! :cool1: A bit (OK, a LOT) more pricey for a home resort, but we liked being able to book at 11 months out. I like the idea of being able to use points elsewhere...although I'm SURE we will still be using points to go to Disney in 20 years ::MickeyMo, buying direct at least gave us some leeway with where we want to stay. Now when we add on (hopefully in about 2 years) we will consider resale for sure!

Thanks for your replies! I did realize that the back dating of points was pretty standard.. ;) We ended up buying direct at BLT! :cool1: A bit (OK, a LOT) more pricey for a home resort, but we liked being able to book at 11 months out. I like the idea of being able to use points elsewhere...although I'm SURE we will still be using points to go to Disney in 20 years ::MickeyMo, buying direct at least gave us some leeway with where we want to stay. Now when we add on (hopefully in about 2 years) we will consider resale for sure!

Congratulations! That is what we did. Purchased our first contract direct and our add on was a resale purchase. We love our DVC, I'm sure you will too!

...we liked being able to book at 11 months out. I like the idea of being able to use points elsewhere...

buying at BLT sounds like a good plan if you want to stay at BLT and can book at 10-11 months out.

you actually can use resale pts to travel to non-disney locations through RCI (or for trading to DVC resorts in hilton head, vero beach or hawaii).

you cannot use resale pts for disney cruises or wdw hotels like the poly - the thing is that trading out for cruises/hotels (or even RCI timeshares) tends to be more expensive and not the best value for your pts...but if money is no object, a direct purchase definitely gets you in the door faster.

Welcome to BLT!!

Congrats on your purchase! We have been members at SSR since 2003 and have many great vacations thanks to DVC. We dont regret our purchase for a minute.

Congratulations! We also bought BLT plus added on direct. We initially bought 3 years ago so did get ours cheaper, we were lucky in our timing because prices soared after that. :) Your purchase may look like a bargain when GF DVC starts selling. We were told last week that BLT prices are going up again after the 1st of the year.

Enjoy your points!!

We are new DVC'rs and did our first trip in August to SSR. Absolutely loved the DVC experience over the moderate properties that we had been used to going to. We only do a 1 Bdrm. but plenty of room for us and our kids. We decided to buy on the resale market as staying at one of the property hotels, cruise or Adventures doesn't appeal to us right now. We saved over 60% what Disney was trying to sell to us at. However, thats what fit our family. Regardless where or how you buy, its a wonderful decision that has already been so much fun for us. We are going in April now and staying at BCV and are very excited as well. Welcome Home!

We did resale and it is easy. The price is fantastic also. With dvc, our 1 bedroom villa will cost us under 1000$ for a week, every year (until the contract expires) . That is taking into consideration what we paid for the points and the annual fees.

The kids love disney, it will be my 4 year olds 3rd time and my 1 and a half year olds 2nd time in January.

How ever you choose to get to disney (dvc or not) it will be awesome.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter