~~~ Sew, we’re debt FREEEEEEEE!!! And headed to DLP! ~~~ Spring 2018

So happy to see this new Pre - Trip report. Victoria's hair cut is adorable, so flattering ! And the resemblance is great . I love your shirt, looks great on you and what a buy. Your father's ALF looks beautiful, I'm sure he will grow to love it.

I love Victoria's hair! It's perfect for her and she does look more like you.

I'm glad most of the rain held off until today. I was afraid we wouldn't get much done yesterday. We went over to help my grandson get their third garage spot cleaned out so he can park his car Monday when we transfer it. I did spend a little time in their garden weeding as my daughter hasn't had any extra time this summer while teaching summer school for the first time. Her garden was such a mess and while we didn't quite finish it looked so much better. My husband even got up and cleaned her gutter that had little trees growing out of it.

Afterwards we stopped at Culver's as it was 2 and we were starving. We both got the pot roast and got such huge portions we could have shared. A lot of times we get 1 dinner and a chicken salad and share, but we were so hungry. I did take some of mine home as I am trying to cut back. I am also back to exercising and hopefully I will be as successful as you have been. My biggest downfall has always been snacking after dinner so I've cut that out. That really seems to help, especially when it is usually ice cream, lol.

Your dad looks happy and I'm glad he's adjusting. I imagine some of that is from having visitors all the time and he's realizing how nice that is. My dad is doing ok and is having a therapist come to his home and his strength has really improved. The doctor also made an adjustment in his water pills and he's taking them now. He had increased the dosage but it was supposed to be temporary. He didn't like them so just quit taking them. There is still some confusion and asking us the same thing so we'll see if that improves at all. It doesn't seem to affect him too much and he is fine at home for now. It's only because his good friend stops over all the time and also shops for him. She's even cooking extra and bringing food for him too. I tell her she is my godsend and I don't know what I would do without her.

Your top looks great and what a deal. I was at Target looking at a bag my granddaughter had on her birthday list but it was $30. Two days later it was on clearance for $21 and I used the cartwheel so I was pretty happy I had waited. I also have the Target red card. Not too happy though when it shows how much I saved because then I know how much I spend!

Have a great day! I plan to just stay inside and scrapbook.

I agree - it just turned out so cute on her! I always thought she would have long hair, I've never imagined her cutting it.

It sounds like you were able to make a lot of progress this week... I have one flower bed which I need to weed in a bad way, and I just haven't made it out there to do it - between being busy with Dad and now the rain, I am afraid we will have to look at it for a few more days.

It sounds like you are making some great healthy choices! :) I am still in love with Culver's Strawberry Fields salad - I make it at home all the time, like - 6x a week, at least - and the one I make at home is embarrassingly huge, but it's so delicious! My biggest downfall was always snacking as I am making dinner... Once I cut out the sugar and grains, I have absolutely no cravings to snack at this time of day - it's so strange... If I am legitimately hungry, I will sit down and eat something then - but I force myself to use the W30 template of a mini-meal (2 of the 3, protein/veggie/fat) - this really helps me stay on track and then I am not just eating mindlessly... I'd say this is pretty rare for me to need though, maybe once every few weeks? :scratchin I do still have my bedtime snack though, again - it's a mini-meal, most often it's thawed frozen berries with just a bit of half n' half and walnuts on top (if I am short on calories for the day, I add extra nuts here)... It definitely mimics ice cream for me - as it is cold and it has the bit of cream in it... Likely, it's no better calorie-wise, but I *feel* like it's better for me. LOL

Yes - Dad seems to be doing so much better... Still a few things to work out - most of which, at this point in time, is financial... but he just seems so much happier these days. It's kind of funny - sometimes when we go see him, he almost seems shocked that we are there - like he thinks we still live far away... It's kind of cute.

I am glad to hear that your dad is improving too... It's so hard to watch them age and try to determine at what time it's appropriate to step in... I think, part of the reason I am having such a tough time with my dad, is that both of his parents died before they reached the time they couldn't live on their own - so this was something he never had to witness. Thankful, for you, that your dad has a good friend who keeps a close eye on him - without seeming so, so he can keep his independence for a while longer... Hopefully the confusion is just a temporary thing, and he is able to bounce back relatively quickly. ::yes::

Thanks! I love Target deals - when I can find them. LOL Sometimes I get burned by waiting - but there is really nothing that I *missed* that I truly miss now. ::yes:: Glad you were able to get the bag for your grand daughter. :)

Thanks - same to you! Sounds like a great way to spend your weekend. I napped yesterday... Like Josh said when we got up, "that wasn't a nap, that was sleep" - LOL It was a hard-core 2+ hour "nap"... It was just so amazing sleeping with the rain falling - I love that!

I'm glad our dad is finally adjusting to his new place. He probably does realize how nice it is to have all of you so close.
V. looks a lot like you with her new hair cut. It's really cute. How is she adjusting to every day life back home?
Your food pictures all look good because of my food allergies I have to read the ingredients on everything. It makes going out to eat not too much fun.
I'm on vacation this week. I don't have much planned. My daughter and I are doing the color dash today and next week we're going to the Pittsburgh Zoo. We're members of the Cleveland zoo so we get a discount at the Pittsburgh one. We've have a lot of rain lately and it's cooled down so I can work on pulling weeds in my own garden.
Have a good weekend
Liz

He is - it's a relief... I still go in expecting him to be upset - that was very difficult for me, as it's so rare that he is ever upset. But he does seem to be adjusting and it's good.

Yes - I love that hair cut on her, it suits her so well. She is adjusting quite well - it's easier to come this direction, than it is to go that way - the adjustment period is so much shorter. She is back to work and driving on her own... We required both girls - after returning from their trips - to do several hours of "behind the wheel" with one of us, before driving alone again, which I think is a good thing - it takes a bit to get back to driving again, after such a long break. ::yes:: Otherwise, she is doing great! Back to work and life. :lovestruc

I can only imagine... I really have a hard time eating out too - but mine is due to choice, I cannot imagine if it was an allergy - where I could be forced to.... I am sure you have a few places that you like to go, where it's easier to choose foods?

It sounds like you have a great week planned with your daughter! I sure hope you enjoy your time off! And good luck on your color dash (yesterday). :) I love going to the zoo... It's been a few years - we should really do that soon. :scratchin

Thanks Liz! Same to you! :)

So happy to see this new Pre - Trip report. Victoria's hair cut is adorable, so flattering ! And the resemblance is great . I love your shirt, looks great on you and what a buy. Your father's ALF looks beautiful, I'm sure he will grow to love it.

Hey you!!! Welcome!!! It's been a while! :hug:

Thanks - I really think it's flattering on her too... It never even occurred to me that she would ever cut her hair - I was so surprised when she did it. ::yes::

Thanks! I am happy that I got such a great bargain on it... I haven't purchased much for myself recently, so it made something new all the sweeter. :)

Yes - he is getting there... It's been a long and tough road, but I feel like we are getting to a place where there is hope for him adjusting well... I hope. :lovestruc It's just so wonderful having him near, and visiting him often - even if it's just stopping in for a few minutes to see how he's doing - something like that was impossible before.

Thanks for stopping by - it's great to see you! I hope you and the family are well? :lovestruc

**************************************************************************************************************

I wish I had some great update for you all this morning... but quite honestly - I slept my day away yesterday. ::yes::

I worked upstairs for a little while right away, then I ran to the meat market to get meat for the week.

After, V and I ran to town, I just needed to grab some supplies quick for work. We didn't stop to see Dad, because Allison and Gus were there, and I am trying to scale back a tiny bit on visits. ::yes::

Then she had errands to run in the next town over - so we did that too.

Then we came home and literally napped for the rest of the day. It was quite pitiful actually, LOL... It wasn't really a nap - it was a hard-core sleep. :scratchin It was raining, and just perfect sleeping weather.

I woke up in time to make dinner... I had my Strawberry Fields salad, and Josh had pizza - both were easy to make and matched my ambition level. ::yes::

Then Josh and I went upstairs and we watched The Jungle Book - the new live action movie... It was super good! I am a bit embarrassed to admit that I have never even seen the animated version... Though The Jungle Book soundtrack is some of my favorite Disney music of all time, and I know all of it by heart - I had just never seen the movie. It was super cute and we both enjoyed it immensely. ::yes::

Today... Well, V will have my car all day - between church and work - so I am a bit stranded. :scratchin

I might be able to talk Allison into going to town with me to visit Grandpa for a while?

I really need to clean my house...

I was also thinking I may get started on my next side project upstairs - that would go a long way to keeping me ahead of schedule this coming week. ::yes::

I honestly don't even know where to start with planning this Europe trip... I feel really badly about that. Trip advisor? I dunno? :scratchin Maybe I'll meander over to the DLP boards and just peruse a little bit today? That might help me?

That's about all... A little bit of nothing. LOL ::yes::

I hope you all enjoy the rest of your weekend! Prayers and pixie dust to all! :hug:

D~

It sounds like you've had a pretty relaxing weekend. That is always good in my book! V's hair is so cute! It does make her favor you more! I really like your Target find- and you could wear it through the winter with a long cardigan. Your nap sounds heavenly. I agree that it is good that you had your girls get back into driving while they had someone in the car with them. It is easy to forget what to pay attention to when you haven't driven in a while. I was even worried about DH going back to the states for 2 weeks with a rental car. He had to drive straight from the airport about an hour to the city where he was staying after about 24 hours of travel time. I told him to keep repeating "stay to the right!" because we drive to the left here. Of course his reply was..."Woman, I am a Marine. I've got this." :rolleyes2 What a goober. Luckily he and his ego made it safely back.

Anyway... Your healthy eating looks to be going really well. I enjoy the food pics. I've got about 15 weeks until we go to Hawaii. I need to pick up the pace. This past week my goal was to get in my 10,000 steps each day which I did do every day except 2. That is very good for me. My nest goal is to start doing a "workout" at least 3 days per week. Emma starts school on Wednesday, so that will help us get back into a better routine.

Also, I don't think I have mentioned it here yet- I got a permanent weekly class with the Japanese American Society, so on Wednesday nights I will be teaching English to Japanese speakers. It only pays $30 per class, but every dime of that will go toward our spending money for Hawaii. I am excited get started.

Wishing you a great week, D!

Just got caught up after coming back from a week's vacation. We were at a small fishing resort in your neck of the woods - northwest Wisconsin, right on the border to MN. We've gone there on and off for almost 30 years. Happy for you that all is going well with your debt pay off, eating/exercise, family, Dad. Do you feel like your Dad has turned the corner with settling in to his new place? He's got to love all the attention! For as long as I can remember, I've always been in the Christmas Club at our credit union. We both set aside a certain amount each paycheck - it's much less painful for me that way. I've been known to go over the budgeted amount but it's nice to have the majority already saved. Hope you have a good week!

The picture of Victoria with her new haircut is really cute. She looks grown up in that picture, which she would probably say that she already is grown up. ;)

Allison and your dad look a lot alike in the picture. :)

We played disk golf with some friends at a local park this past weekend. Did you know there were three types of disks, long range, mid range and a putter? I had no idea! Luckily, one of the friends had plenty of disks for everyone. We had a lot of fun, especially since we didn't keep score. ;)

It sounds like you've had a pretty relaxing weekend. That is always good in my book! V's hair is so cute! It does make her favor you more! I really like your Target find- and you could wear it through the winter with a long cardigan. Your nap sounds heavenly. I agree that it is good that you had your girls get back into driving while they had someone in the car with them. It is easy to forget what to pay attention to when you haven't driven in a while. I was even worried about DH going back to the states for 2 weeks with a rental car. He had to drive straight from the airport about an hour to the city where he was staying after about 24 hours of travel time. I told him to keep repeating "stay to the right!" because we drive to the left here. Of course his reply was..."Woman, I am a Marine. I've got this." :rolleyes2 What a goober. Luckily he and his ego made it safely back.

Anyway... Your healthy eating looks to be going really well. I enjoy the food pics. I've got about 15 weeks until we go to Hawaii. I need to pick up the pace. This past week my goal was to get in my 10,000 steps each day which I did do every day except 2. That is very good for me. My nest goal is to start doing a "workout" at least 3 days per week. Emma starts school on Wednesday, so that will help us get back into a better routine.

Also, I don't think I have mentioned it here yet- I got a permanent weekly class with the Japanese American Society, so on Wednesday nights I will be teaching English to Japanese speakers. It only pays $30 per class, but every dime of that will go toward our spending money for Hawaii. I am excited get started.

Wishing you a great week, D!

Hi Brandi! :lovestruc

Thanks for all the nice comments!

I shouldn't laugh at your DH, but I can so relate. Sort-of... When we moved down here, we had to rent the largest Uhaul ever made, and I was so panicked about DH driving such a massive thing... And then I remembered that he drove a HET in Iraq for a year - a HET is the largest vehicle there is https://oshkoshdefense.com/vehicles/het/ - with something like 48 independently turning wheels - which were taller than DH. :lmao: Once I remembered that, I was good with him driving the Uhaul. ::yes:: Glad your DH made it safely back to you. :lovestruc

Ahhh - Hawaii... I am a bit jealous! One day I hope to get there too. My issue is that I keep wanting to go back to WDW... Go somewhere, go to WDW, go somewhere else, go to WDW. :scratchin If I'd stop wanting to go to Disney - I could sure afford to see much more of the world. ::yes::

It sounds like you have a great plan for your healthy eating - that is awesome! You will do great - I know it! :lovestruc

Thanks Brandi - same to you! :hug:

Just got caught up after coming back from a week's vacation. We were at a small fishing resort in your neck of the woods - northwest Wisconsin, right on the border to MN. We've gone there on and off for almost 30 years. Happy for you that all is going well with your debt pay off, eating/exercise, family, Dad. Do you feel like your Dad has turned the corner with settling in to his new place? He's got to love all the attention! For as long as I can remember, I've always been in the Christmas Club at our credit union. We both set aside a certain amount each paycheck - it's much less painful for me that way. I've been known to go over the budgeted amount but it's nice to have the majority already saved. Hope you have a good week!

I hope you had a great trip - it sounds like it! :lovestruc

Yes - we are doing very well with everything. We are so fortunate! :lovestruc

For the most part, I feel like Dad is settling in well... Financially, he is still having a hard time adjusting. The drawback to living near me, is that it's expensive here, and he is left with almost nothing by the time his bills are paid... Sadly - I've spoiled him over the last years of running his finances and he is used to spending freely... This is going to be a hard adjustment for him. ::yes:: He is enjoying all of the attention and seeing us more frequently. :lovestruc

Yes - this Christmas season is going to be a very new experience for us. I am mostly looking forward to black Friday shopping this year - I typically don't have a lot of $$ to shop on that day, as we were never prepared... This year - it should be a lot of fun to get out there and take advantage of some of the deals to be had. ::yes::

Thanks!!! Same to you! :lovestruc

The picture of Victoria with her new haircut is really cute. She looks grown up in that picture, which she would probably say that she already is grown up.

Allison and your dad look a lot alike in the picture.

We played disk golf with some friends at a local park this past weekend. Did you know there were three types of disks, long range, mid range and a putter? I had no idea! Luckily, one of the friends had plenty of disks for everyone. We had a lot of fun, especially since we didn't keep score.

I know - she looks so grown up now, it's such a huge contrast to my little girl. ::yes:: And now that she is home, she is a "key holder" at her job - so she is definitely much more grown up with all of her traveling and now her new responsibility at work. :)

Ha! I agree! I look a lot like my Dad too... I have my Mom's basic face shape and profile, but I have many of my Dad's features - and I think that Allison takes after me quite a bit. ::yes::

I did know that, actually. Josh and I used to play frisbee golf a lot... That was "his recreational sport" when I met him, so we'd wander around the courses a lot. I'd love to get him back into it - the exercise wouldn't hurt him, that's for sure. ::yes:: FWIW, I suck at frisbee golf - I have absolutely NO AIM at all. ::yes:: And my throwing style is beyond hilarious. :lmao: Glad you had fun though - it is a fun sport!

**************************************************************************************************************

I haven't had much going on here, so I haven't checked in...

I spent my weekend in my sewing room, working on a fun project... I've kind of been procrastinating on it, but once I dived in - I couldn't stop. Brian and Myrthe are giving Lara a play kitchen for her birthday in October, so Myrthe asked me if I could make Lara a little apron and hot pads + an extra apron for a friend... Lara LOVES Mickey Mouse (not Minnie), and finding anything Mickey for a girl is almost impossible... So, I went all out. ::yes:: It's not often that I get to work with this many ruffles. :lovestruc And I am very tempted to make her a cute little dress to wear too - while making this set, I had to dig out some of my Oliver and S patterns, I forgot how many I had and how cute they are!

F99ECD87-B19F-4B3E-9340-6A1524FE68C0.jpg

A0C98F87-54F9-4D3B-92EB-055E5C4566F6.jpg

A6312B42-B855-4DF8-ADBF-BF7A69D87ECF.jpg

9EC833A9-0072-4F68-9F84-A3880DCAD0AF.jpg

9EC3D8F5-04BC-475A-A967-CC5636E19B31.jpg

0B5F948E-71D4-4A27-B118-30E5279758B6.jpg

Personally - I love the black/red/yellow one the best - but they are both cute, IMO. ::yes::

A couple of cute pics of V with Cooper the other day, LOL - he is such a nut!

359425A0-1B7C-41E8-A771-1F3E03F5ABCA.jpg

029520B4-26C8-4A45-84BD-2F2AA01F417C.jpg

I also found a new band for my Fitbit Alta... I was sent this one as a warranty replacement to my Charge back in October 2016, well - all of the little holes that the band clasp into are ripping out, so my band hasn't been secure for weeks, and I've nearly lost it several times. :( I did call Fitbit, but they refused to give me a discount on a new band, because the warranty on this one only lasted as long as the original warranty on my Charge. Which really sucks, because it's clearly defective. Anyways - I happened upon this *not* Fitbit brand band at Target - and I couldn't resist it... You all know my love of DOTS!!! :lovestruc Over all, I was a bit nervous about getting an off brand, but Fitbit really hasn't been that great of a brand anyways - so I was willing to try this one... It clips into place properly and it buckles on the bottom like a watch band - which is what I wanted, I am incredibly happy with it.

7B9E829B-830D-4124-BDB0-FE149CFCAABB.jpg

Finally - A photo of Victoria and I - it's a little blurry... but the whole family went to Rochester the other night for dinner, and we met Josh's Dad down there... It was a great evening and a lot of fun.

2C33A5AB-D9C9-437C-85D1-F3643C1CB6B5.png

I work at Target today... We've had a lot of issues with the car situation and V not having a car - yet more responsibility at work... Today, she has to drop me off for my shift and I have to wait around after my shift for 1.5 hours until Allison is off of work to give me a ride home. I'll be bringing a book with me to read. ::yes:: I cannot wait until she has a car of her own... As it has also been difficult trying to see Dad, and working around her schedule. Tomorrow will be even more fun, as he has his first Cardiologist appointment down here - so V will have to give us a ride to that appointment, drop us off, and again we will have to wait there for Allison to get off of work to drive dad home and bring me home with her. Sigh. Hopefully V has enough for her own car within a month - because I think I may go crazy meanwhile. :scratchin

Sending lots of prayers and pixie dust out to all of my friends in Texas... Especially my Dis friend Carol and her family - they have been on my mind constantly over the last several days.

That's about all - I hope you all have a great day... Sending hugs out to everyone! :lovestruc

D~

I've had to replace the band on my fixbit alta,too. I got a plain black one that buckles like a watch band. The old one wouldn't stay snapped.
The picture of V. and Cooper are so cute. He seems like just a big lap dog.
The aprons you made for Lara are really nice. I like them both. I'm sure she'll love them.
I'm glad you're dad is adjusting to living near you.
The color dash was fun and messy. I ran into my sister and her husband at the city fest. She wants to try and do it next year. She broke her and foot a year ago. The had to put pins and screw in her ankle. It's finally healed enough for her to start walking for fun again. I also ran into someone I work with who was running the race with his daughter.
Today I get to go to the dentist to get a tooth filled. I think you'll enjoy working more.
Have a good day.
Liz

Those aprons are so cute- I almost want one!

What an annoying car situation. I can't imagine that I would handle that very well so kudos to you and your family!

As you may have noticed the title for this PTR… We’re debt free!!!!! Well, not quite. Yet. Though we are working on it, and working hard!

9D88D9BF-02C7-46B7-BE2E-6552D8E6B7D4.jpg

We’ve begun our Debt Free journey several times… We’d follow Dave Ramsey’s Baby Steps for a while, and then just stray little bits, then a lot bits, then wander off the path… Eventually off the cliff. No, no, no… Not really… Ok – maybe? :scratchin

Finally – this last Christmas season… We were DONE! We were sick and tired of being sick and tired. We made too much money to have to be this broke. Something had to give. It was us – we had to give. It was time to be adults.

We tightened our belts… We poured over our budget… We cut everything… Yes, that means Target, Starbucks and Disney - gone. ::yes:: We cut our dining out budget to almost nothing. We cut our entertainment budget to nothing. We cut EVERYTHING – if it wasn’t a need, a true need, we didn’t buy it. Period.

Allison even joined us for a 9 week round of Financial Peace University this spring…

5BF9512B-CB51-4BA9-A147-3E78CF1D7734.jpg

We started with Baby Step #1… Save $1000 in a Baby Emergency Fund…

Currently, we are on Baby Step #2… Pay off debt… Ahhh – this is a long and grueling process. For us, it will be roughly a 16 month process. We are just approaching our half-way mark, coming into our 8th month. Believe me – we see a very bright light at the end of the tunnel (and it isn’t a train).

Don’t get me wrong – this hasn’t been an easy thing. It’s hard, very hard, to have to tell yourself “no” for the greater good of your financial lives and future… It’s no fun to give up Target, or Starbucks, or Disney (Disney was the hardest for me).

Our zero based budget is key… A zero based budget doesn’t mean that you have zero dollars left at the end of the month, it means that every dollar is given a name and a place to go. If it’s not on our budget – it doesn’t happen.

Here is what our budget looks like… I will tell you all now – this is NOT our real budget… It is NOT our true income; it is NOT our true spending amounts… Though the line items are accurate, and these are our budget categories.

I will also confess… I am the “nerd” of the family… Every single one of our dollars has a name through the end of year 2020. ::yes:: I know, weird.

Dream%20budget%20file.jpg

Now, for the Disney trip part… When Allison graduated high school in 2016, she spent her summer in Europe – her uncle Brian took her to DLP!

Screenshot_2016-08-08-05-29-28.png

Victoria graduated high school this last summer – 2017 – and she is also (currently) spending her summer in Europe… Myrthe took V to DLP this time!

20429727_10214347771156920_501512830622070519_n.jpg

2018 – now it’s our turn!!! I am super excited!!! Josh and I will be going to Europe to celebrate being “Debt FREEEEEE” – and to spend time with Brian (Josh’s brother), Myrthe (his wife), Thomas and Lara (their children) – aka: BMTL. It just so happens that DLP is a 4 hour drive from their house – so we will be taking a side trip there… We, as in, Myrthe and I, I think… Pretty sure Josh isn’t going, yet.

I know nothing about DLP – nothing. So, this should be interesting to plan… LOL Thanks to Victoria – I know they have Dole Whips… So, that’s good. I also know that they DON’T have Mickey Waffles (booooo). Regardless, it should be interesting.

We also have plans to take a few side trips while we are in Europe… We are planning a day at De Efteling – or better known as “Dutch Disney” – and in some ways (gasp!), it’s better than a Disney park.

We will spend a day or two in Amsterdam… A day in Rotterdam… I am also hoping for a day or two at Normandy, France… And possibly a day or two in Berlin, Germany. Ahhh – BIG dreams here folks. I want to see and do it all! So, it should be a fantastic trip all around. 17 days – all paid for with cash!

So, please join me on my next adventure as we celebrate this huge milestone in our lives… I cannot wait to reconnect with all of my Dis friends, whom I’ve missed so much over these last months!

D~
I love your trip reviews!! I can't wait to read about this one. And I secretly covet all your bags. It makes me wish I could sew lol.

So, I looked up that truck you said Josh drove- good golly! It must have been like hauling a house on that thing! And I imagine it was pretty dangerous to be in such a big open vehicle in that part of the world. I am so grateful for you that he made it back to you. I went through it, too, twice there and a few other places. Not to open a can of worms, but if I never said it before, Thank you to Josh and You & the girls for your service. No one comes back the same no matter how they may look or act on the outside and it affects the whole family. Your sacrifices are just as noble as his were and I genuinely appreciate them both.
I love the aprons you made for little Lara! I have always loved the Mickey/Minnie dot color combinations. Love the pics of V and you enjoying time together! Her hair, though... it makes me want to get mine cut! It just suits her and I never would have thought because she always had it long. Both your girls are so pretty, just like their mama.
The struggle is real with juggling cars. I imagine it is even more frustrating with throwing your Dad into the mix. Thankfully your girls seem to be willing to compromise on their time with the cars. Hopefully, V will be able to acquire a vehicle of her own soon. We have been over a year with only one car. Thankfully, our base is small, but sometimes I am just lazy and don't want to walk! It is good for me, but I hate that I have to add 30 minutes to 1 hour to every errand. But, it does save us a lot of money and that is always a good thing!
We are hoping to go to a new waterfall this weekend. It is called 7 Falls. Apparently, there are 7 waterfalls up the side of the mountain. It can be quite a hike and it just depends on how far you are willing to go as to how many you see. I am going to try to take my DSLR camera and take some pictures.
I hope you and the family have a good Labor Day weekend! Hugs!!

I've had to replace the band on my fixbit alta,too. I got a plain black one that buckles like a watch band. The old one wouldn't stay snapped.
The picture of V. and Cooper are so cute. He seems like just a big lap dog.
The aprons you made for Lara are really nice. I like them both. I'm sure she'll love them.
I'm glad you're dad is adjusting to living near you.
The color dash was fun and messy. I ran into my sister and her husband at the city fest. She wants to try and do it next year. She broke her and foot a year ago. The had to put pins and screw in her ankle. It's finally healed enough for her to start walking for fun again. I also ran into someone I work with who was running the race with his daughter.
Today I get to go to the dentist to get a tooth filled. I think you'll enjoy working more.
Have a good day.
Liz

Yup - that is exactly how mine was too... I am glad I replaced it - however - my new band, some of the dots are wearing off after my day at Target the other day. Kind of a bummer... :yes:

He is, LOL, except he is terrible at it. :lmao:

Thanks - I hope so. :)

Yay! Good for you! Wow - glad to hear your sister is on the mend, how terrible to have to work through that- it must have been painful.

Ahh - yah - the dentist sucks... I hope it went well.

You too - have a great holiday weekend.

Those aprons are so cute- I almost want one!

What an annoying car situation. I can't imagine that I would handle that very well so kudos to you and your family!

Thanks - I know, right? LOL I'd totally wear them!

It is annoying, trust me... Ahhh, but ya gotta do, whatcha gotta do. ::yes:: :lovestruc

Have a great holiday weekend! :)

I love your trip reviews!! I can't wait to read about this one. And I secretly covet all your bags. It makes me wish I could sew lol.

Awwwh - thanks for all the nice comments! Welcome! :lovestruc

So, I looked up that truck you said Josh drove- good golly! It must have been like hauling a house on that thing! And I imagine it was pretty dangerous to be in such a big open vehicle in that part of the world. I am so grateful for you that he made it back to you. I went through it, too, twice there and a few other places. Not to open a can of worms, but if I never said it before, Thank you to Josh and You & the girls for your service. No one comes back the same no matter how they may look or act on the outside and it affects the whole family. Your sacrifices are just as noble as his were and I genuinely appreciate them both.
I love the aprons you made for little Lara! I have always loved the Mickey/Minnie dot color combinations. Love the pics of V and you enjoying time together! Her hair, though... it makes me want to get mine cut! It just suits her and I never would have thought because she always had it long. Both your girls are so pretty, just like their mama.
The struggle is real with juggling cars. I imagine it is even more frustrating with throwing your Dad into the mix. Thankfully your girls seem to be willing to compromise on their time with the cars. Hopefully, V will be able to acquire a vehicle of her own soon. We have been over a year with only one car. Thankfully, our base is small, but sometimes I am just lazy and don't want to walk! It is good for me, but I hate that I have to add 30 minutes to 1 hour to every errand. But, it does save us a lot of money and that is always a good thing!
We are hoping to go to a new waterfall this weekend. It is called 7 Falls. Apparently, there are 7 waterfalls up the side of the mountain. It can be quite a hike and it just depends on how far you are willing to go as to how many you see. I am going to try to take my DSLR camera and take some pictures.
I hope you and the family have a good Labor Day weekend! Hugs!!

Yah - I nearly died when the unit told the soldiers that they were responsible for all of their own maintenance... I made the sign of the cross and had a panic attack right there... Until that point in life, I had NEVER seen Josh do any maintenance on any of our vehicles - I thought for sure, that was the end of it. :( But he did very well - and since then, he has taken it upon himself to do a good portion of maintenance on our vehicles. ::yes::

Thank you - same to you - most definitely. He certainly came home a changed man, and there are many things we used to do previously that just don't happen anymore, or we avoid... it's definitely different, and sometimes challenging. Thankfully - I do know what tends to be a problem for him, so I do my best to smooth it over - or avoid those situations... Which has led to some anxiety for me, as well... Challenging, yes. I swore to God, while he was gone, if He just sent him home alive, I could deal with anything... And I have remained true to that. :lovestruc It will never be the same, but it's been so many years now - I hardly remember what the "same" is. :scratchin

Thanks - I had so much fun making stuff that is "out of my wheelhouse" - it was a nice change of pace. ::yes::

Awwwh - thank you. Your girls, and you are just adorable too - I've so much enjoyed our FB friendship - as well as our friendship here! :hug:

We are all working together pretty well, and making things work with our vehicles... A little bit of a pain... If only we didn't live 18 miles from town - that would make some of life easier. ::yes:: I can't imagine walking errands as you do, I am way too spoiled. Though - I think I could manage it, if it were an option. You are a much stronger woman than I. :lovestruc

Wow!!! That sounds incredible!!! Enjoy!!! I look forward to seeing pictures over the weekend! :lovestruc

Have a great holiday as well! :hug:

*************************************************************************************************************

Just a super quick check in, with a few pics... I am running late today and need to get a move on. ::yes::

The other night, one of Allison's good friends got a new camera - so she asked the girls and I to be her first "ginnuea pigs", we took a drive to one of our favorite towns to take pictures in... Sadly, V had to work - so she couldn't join us... Allison and I went out and we did get a few good ones. Though there are more, I have seen, Allison hasn't sent those to me yet - I am anxiously awaiting. ::yes::

(And, btw, I don't feel like these are the most flattering photos of me... I think/hope it's just a bad angle...)

97A3AF32-EDB0-4B2E-9305-DA8D09D051E3.jpg

2CC3371B-A9D4-49B0-8BEF-198C2CA927D1.jpg

And a few out takes. :lmao:

C75B4882-2CEB-4887-823E-D219D6659941.jpg

420EF0A0-100D-431E-A5C2-14A803AEF0A7.jpg

203392A1-01C7-4235-99A0-BEA6F5AF1E2A.jpg

d7955a7a-29ab-489e-bdf4-cdcb5d55495c.jpg

I took Grandpa out for lunch the other day... As much as I love doing this - it tends to be a little awkward, as I don't eat out... So I order his food and then he eats while I sit there and try to converse. :scratchin He enjoys it though - so...

DB9AD6C1-7996-4EC7-BD97-A248260E07B3.jpg

And then we took him out for ice cream yesterday after his cardiologist appointment (it went well, btw)... Again - I sit there while everyone else eats...

DB22AB33-5892-4B46-BF82-CFB75BB4601E.png

Finally - MM and his Eeyore that V got for him in DLP... We've trained Cooper to "leave-it", so Cooper has yet to destroy it, though the minute we let him - he would. That being said - MM likes to taunt Cooper with it... ::yes:: Poor Cooper - it takes a LOT of restraint for him to "leave-it".

663371BC-792B-4D48-B2F6-C980CC55274C.jpg

That's about all.

No big plans for the weekend - just lots of eating well and a few walks. I am tempted to take today off of working out... We'll see if I actually do or not? :scratchin

Have a great holiday weekend everyone! Prayers, Pixie Dust and safe travels to everyone traveling! :hug:

D~

Love the things you made for your niece - especially the red, black, yellow. Wish I had a family member who could sew. There's no hope for me :-) The mother/daughter pictures are so nice! Love your peek-a-boo sleeves. Nice your Dad enjoys going out. Has he stopped bringing up his apt size? Up until about a year ago I could still take my Mom to shop at WalMart. She liked being able to do her own shopping. It's really not possible now (she's going on 95.....). Although I grumbled about it at the time, I would be so happy if we could do it again. Have a good holiday weekend! Looks to be a perfect weather weekend here - hope it is there too!

That apron set that you made for Lara is SO cute -- absolutely adorable! Make her a dress, too -- just because it would be adorable and I love cute little girl things. LOL

LOVE Victoria's hair -- it's fabulous on her -- but now she looks so grown up. But really, it's a fabulous cut on her. Adorable.

I'm glad your Dad is settling in more. Finances are hard...they really are...we're trying to save up as much as possible while we live with my mother-in-law but ended up spending more in August than I had planned, between semi-annual taxes being due in Virginia (I forgot about those...), getting Brie set up in her dorm room (although it wasn't as expensive as it was with Alyssa since Alyssa gave Brie a lot of things like dishes, towels, pots and pans, etc., since she and Andrew got new ones when they got married), and a couple of other bills I wasn't expecting (like Brie dropping her phone in the swimming pool at work and having to replace it....).... Anyway, I am proud of myself because I paid off my Kohls card this week. Granted, it was my smallest (by far!) credit card balance (under $200), but it's paid off and I feel really good about that. I think I'm going to cancel the account. The only thing holding me back is that Brie wants attachments for her Kitchen-Aid mixer (that's what she wanted for a graduation gift -- what high school senior asks for that for graduation? LOL) for Christmas, and Kohls gets great sales on kitchen stuff plus the extra 15-30% off coupons...but if I do use it for that then my plan is to immediately pay it off. We shall see. I'm hoping to make a good dent in our debt while we live with Mark's Mom, but I also need to be setting aside money for our house.

Housing situation... That's still up in the air. Mark did something to his back this week so we had to cancel our appointment to go look at lots with the builder. It looks like we're going to have to build (or buy, if that's what we end up doing) farther away from Salt Lake than we wanted, which mean a great commute for me but a horrible commute for Mark. Not as bad as my commute was in DC, but still bad -- probably 45+ minutes. I don't want him to have to commute that far, even though he would be ahead of the traffic for the most part, except during basketball season... But there just aren't lots available closer in...unless we want to build something literally right next to the freeway on a 8600 square foot lot. :-( The girls don't want us as far out as it looks like we'll need to go, because it means a 1.25 hour drive for them to come see us, but if we can't find anything closer in then that's what we have to do.

I've been terrible on my eating since we got here -- my MIL is a firm believer in dessert with lunch and dinner, even if it's a jello salad with lots of whipped cream. I keep telling her that we just don't eat that way -- we have dessert once a week, Sundays only -- and even then I don't do big desserts...and of course my husband wants to eat everything she makes. He lost 40-45 pounds last year and I'm worried he'll put the weight back on. MIL is insisting on doing the cooking for us (I don't get home until 5:30) and is trying to cook lighter meals, but it's just not what she's used to doing. I'm going to offer to cook on the weekends. The good thing is that we're getting lots of fresh produce from her garden so I'm able to eat fresh tomatoes, cucumbers, and corn to my heart's content. I'm going through bottles of Tessamaes like crazy with the salads and fresh produce I'm eating lately!

Brie seems to be settling into college pretty well. Last night was the first time she called me for more than two minutes since we moved her in on Monday. She said things are going well and she's enjoying orientation, but she's a bit concerned about two of her roommates...her roommate (sharing her room) was there for summer term so she already has friends...Brie was hoping they would become good friends but I told her to give it time. She has another roommate who has some behaviors that strongly mirror the behaviors of my best friend's daughter (Asperger's) and Brie is worried about how to handle that...she was never the most patient person with my best friend's daughter and she's worried that she'll lose her temper out of frustration with this particular roommate and some of her behaviors. It's going to be a learning/growing experience for her. She's coming boating with us tomorrow but said she is planning to spend the rest of Labor Day weekend on campus. I'm sad, but at the same time I know it's what she needs to do -- she needs to get adjusted. Her two best friends are in her dorm and will be in her church congregation and it's been incredibly helpful to have them there with her. I know they have helped keep her anxiety down. And having Alyssa and Andrew there will also help significantly with her anxiety. Such a blessing that they are in Provo.

In other news, Andrew (my son-in-law -- still so strange to say that!) took the optometry school entrance exam this week and did better than they expected -- his scores weren't outstanding, but they were in the acceptance range for the schools he wants to go to so we are very grateful. He doesn't test well and after being laid off from his job earlier this summer he devoted the entire summer (other than their honeymoon) to studying for the exam. We're grateful he did as well as he did. He has now started back to school and also got a new job. I'm so proud of them -- they're committed to not making the same debt mistakes we made and already have a plan in place to pay off the debt that Andrew owes to his parents, while still building a savings account and not using credit cards. I'm so glad they're smarter than I was.

Enjoy your time at the lake!

Well I am back and here Dorine; thank you for everything. Last weekend was a nightmare of worry and texts and videos and more worry, on thru Monday, then Tues, then finally Tues evening the rain stopped in Tyler and Ariece's parts and he said he could see sidewalk. We were so incredibly blessed as just 3 blocks from their house it was total disaster with all houses flooded. Over 50 inches in Houston, with over 35 inches around Tyler's area. Hubby and I both grew up in Houston and we saw on the news so many places we knew incl hubby's neighborhood completely under water. It is hard to see so many people who have lost their homes. We are so very blessed that Tyler and Ariece were just "locked in" with water all around them for four days. Lots of prayers answered. My brother and his family were okay as well, they live on Lake Conroe with massive rain, but all is well on their end. Lordy, Dorine, I cannot imagine losing everything like so many people have with Harvey.

It is so good to see Victoria home!! I love her hair; beautiful. Is she working somewhere different than the pizza place? I hope she finds a good vehicle like Allison did. I do not know how ya'll are sharing a vehicle, that is so hard especially with your father to take places. I cannot believe how she acclimated so well to Europe, I think she has found her niche. Of course she will always come home to mama. And thank goodness for Skype.

Your father looks like he is settling in better and enjoying all of the family around him. I think that will continue as time goes by. Good to hear his appt with the heart doctor went well. He looks so cute going out and about. This is so good for his health to get out as well. I hope he will continue to participate in the activities offered at his home.

The pictures of you and Allison are amazing. Ya'll look so much alike. I love natural pics like the ones taken.

Can't wait to hear what you dig up on DLP. I love Trip Advisor, they are my go to for so many trips.

Have a wonderful long weekend Dorine! Love sent your way.

I haven't checked in much since the new school year started and I'm back to work now.

I love, love, love the aprons, kitchen mit, and potholder you made for Lara. It's absolutely adorable and I think I need all of it in my kitchen!

Great pics of you and Allison.

Have a great weekend.

Hi Brandi! :lovestruc

Thanks for all the nice comments!

I shouldn't laugh at your DH, but I can so relate. Sort-of... When we moved down here, we had to rent the largest Uhaul ever made, and I was so panicked about DH driving such a massive thing... And then I remembered that he drove a HET in Iraq for a year - a HET is the largest vehicle there is https://oshkoshdefense.com/vehicles/het/ - with something like 48 independently turning wheels - which were taller than DH. :lmao: Once I remembered that, I was good with him driving the Uhaul. ::yes:: Glad your DH made it safely back to you. :lovestruc

Ahhh - Hawaii... I am a bit jealous! One day I hope to get there too. My issue is that I keep wanting to go back to WDW... Go somewhere, go to WDW, go somewhere else, go to WDW. :scratchin If I'd stop wanting to go to Disney - I could sure afford to see much more of the world. ::yes::

It sounds like you have a great plan for your healthy eating - that is awesome! You will do great - I know it! :lovestruc

Thanks Brandi - same to you! :hug:

I hope you had a great trip - it sounds like it! :lovestruc

Yes - we are doing very well with everything. We are so fortunate! :lovestruc

For the most part, I feel like Dad is settling in well... Financially, he is still having a hard time adjusting. The drawback to living near me, is that it's expensive here, and he is left with almost nothing by the time his bills are paid... Sadly - I've spoiled him over the last years of running his finances and he is used to spending freely... This is going to be a hard adjustment for him. ::yes:: He is enjoying all of the attention and seeing us more frequently. :lovestruc

Yes - this Christmas season is going to be a very new experience for us. I am mostly looking forward to black Friday shopping this year - I typically don't have a lot of $$ to shop on that day, as we were never prepared... This year - it should be a lot of fun to get out there and take advantage of some of the deals to be had. ::yes::

Thanks!!! Same to you! :lovestruc

I know - she looks so grown up now, it's such a huge contrast to my little girl. ::yes:: And now that she is home, she is a "key holder" at her job - so she is definitely much more grown up with all of her traveling and now her new responsibility at work. :)

Ha! I agree! I look a lot like my Dad too... I have my Mom's basic face shape and profile, but I have many of my Dad's features - and I think that Allison takes after me quite a bit. ::yes::

I did know that, actually. Josh and I used to play frisbee golf a lot... That was "his recreational sport" when I met him, so we'd wander around the courses a lot. I'd love to get him back into it - the exercise wouldn't hurt him, that's for sure. ::yes:: FWIW, I suck at frisbee golf - I have absolutely NO AIM at all. ::yes:: And my throwing style is beyond hilarious. :lmao: Glad you had fun though - it is a fun sport!

I haven't had much going on here, so I haven't checked in...

I spent my weekend in my sewing room, working on a fun project... I've kind of been procrastinating on it, but once I dived in - I couldn't stop. Brian and Myrthe are giving Lara a play kitchen for her birthday in October, so Myrthe asked me if I could make Lara a little apron and hot pads + an extra apron for a friend... Lara LOVES Mickey Mouse (not Minnie), and finding anything Mickey for a girl is almost impossible... So, I went all out. ::yes:: It's not often that I get to work with this many ruffles. :lovestruc And I am very tempted to make her a cute little dress to wear too - while making this set, I had to dig out some of my Oliver and S patterns, I forgot how many I had and how cute they are!

F99ECD87-B19F-4B3E-9340-6A1524FE68C0.jpg

A0C98F87-54F9-4D3B-92EB-055E5C4566F6.jpg

A6312B42-B855-4DF8-ADBF-BF7A69D87ECF.jpg

9EC833A9-0072-4F68-9F84-A3880DCAD0AF.jpg

9EC3D8F5-04BC-475A-A967-CC5636E19B31.jpg

0B5F948E-71D4-4A27-B118-30E5279758B6.jpg

Personally - I love the black/red/yellow one the best - but they are both cute, IMO. ::yes::

A couple of cute pics of V with Cooper the other day, LOL - he is such a nut!

359425A0-1B7C-41E8-A771-1F3E03F5ABCA.jpg

029520B4-26C8-4A45-84BD-2F2AA01F417C.jpg

I also found a new band for my Fitbit Alta... I was sent this one as a warranty replacement to my Charge back in October 2016, well - all of the little holes that the band clasp into are ripping out, so my band hasn't been secure for weeks, and I've nearly lost it several times. :( I did call Fitbit, but they refused to give me a discount on a new band, because the warranty on this one only lasted as long as the original warranty on my Charge. Which really sucks, because it's clearly defective. Anyways - I happened upon this *not* Fitbit brand band at Target - and I couldn't resist it... You all know my love of DOTS!!! :lovestruc Over all, I was a bit nervous about getting an off brand, but Fitbit really hasn't been that great of a brand anyways - so I was willing to try this one... It clips into place properly and it buckles on the bottom like a watch band - which is what I wanted, I am incredibly happy with it.

7B9E829B-830D-4124-BDB0-FE149CFCAABB.jpg

Finally - A photo of Victoria and I - it's a little blurry... but the whole family went to Rochester the other night for dinner, and we met Josh's Dad down there... It was a great evening and a lot of fun.

2C33A5AB-D9C9-437C-85D1-F3643C1CB6B5.png

I work at Target today... We've had a lot of issues with the car situation and V not having a car - yet more responsibility at work... Today, she has to drop me off for my shift and I have to wait around after my shift for 1.5 hours until Allison is off of work to give me a ride home. I'll be bringing a book with me to read. ::yes:: I cannot wait until she has a car of her own... As it has also been difficult trying to see Dad, and working around her schedule. Tomorrow will be even more fun, as he has his first Cardiologist appointment down here - so V will have to give us a ride to that appointment, drop us off, and again we will have to wait there for Allison to get off of work to drive dad home and bring me home with her. Sigh. Hopefully V has enough for her own car within a month - because I think I may go crazy meanwhile. :scratchin

Sending lots of prayers and pixie dust out to all of my friends in Texas... Especially my Dis friend Carol and her family - they have been on my mind constantly over the last several days.

That's about all - I hope you all have a great day... Sending hugs out to everyone! :lovestruc

D~

Love,love the aprons !! So adorable . You really are a talented seamstress. Hope you are enjoying this Labor Day weekend. I was on the Dis, drinking out of a disney mug, when my sister just called to discuss our 2018 trip. We are going in November to WDW to celebrate my 60 th bday. At last count 40 people are going (ages 1-71). Let the planning Begin!:tongue:

Hey D! I hope you had a great holiday weekend! I enjoyed the pics of you & Allison- they look so fun! I especially love the one of you on her back. You have the same smile in that picture. Your Dad looks happy to be out and about. You must have an iron will to not eat anything when going out for "treats" with the others, but good for you! I am now trying to cut out sugar. I know it is a huge factor in my weight/general health. I've stopped putting it in my coffee; now I have to progress to no creamer in my coffee.
I'm sure you saw some of the pics from FB about the hike we took. It was really a pleasant day. It wasn't so much a hike as a stairway straight up the mountain. My thighs were screaming by the end. I took more pics, but my husband posted first. Along with that video. grrrr. I hate how I look and that was with a tank top over my swimsuit. I know it's not about me and everybody was probably paying attention to Quinn which was the intent, but...... uugghhh.
Anyway, we're back to our regularly scheduled program and trying to find our rhythm with this school year. Did you get to do any research about your trip? I sure hope you get to check all the things off your wish list that you want to do while you are there! Have a great week.

Love the things you made for your niece - especially the red, black, yellow. Wish I had a family member who could sew. There's no hope for me :-) The mother/daughter pictures are so nice! Love your peek-a-boo sleeves. Nice your Dad enjoys going out. Has he stopped bringing up his apt size? Up until about a year ago I could still take my Mom to shop at WalMart. She liked being able to do her own shopping. It's really not possible now (she's going on 95.....). Although I grumbled about it at the time, I would be so happy if we could do it again. Have a good holiday weekend! Looks to be a perfect weather weekend here - hope it is there too!

Thanks! That was such a fun project to work on!

LOL - thanks - That shirt is super old, it just happened to come back in style. ;)

For the most part - he seems to be adjusting to his apartment size... Finances are still an issue, hopefully we can work out something for him and compromise a little bit.

I definitely enjoy taking dad out... It's so hard as they age to get used to the decline.

Thanks - I sure hope that you had a nice holiday weekend too (can't believe it's been a week already!)

That apron set that you made for Lara is SO cute -- absolutely adorable! Make her a dress, too -- just because it would be adorable and I love cute little girl things. LOL

LOVE Victoria's hair -- it's fabulous on her -- but now she looks so grown up. But really, it's a fabulous cut on her. Adorable.

I'm glad your Dad is settling in more. Finances are hard...they really are...we're trying to save up as much as possible while we live with my mother-in-law but ended up spending more in August than I had planned, between semi-annual taxes being due in Virginia (I forgot about those...), getting Brie set up in her dorm room (although it wasn't as expensive as it was with Alyssa since Alyssa gave Brie a lot of things like dishes, towels, pots and pans, etc., since she and Andrew got new ones when they got married), and a couple of other bills I wasn't expecting (like Brie dropping her phone in the swimming pool at work and having to replace it....).... Anyway, I am proud of myself because I paid off my Kohls card this week. Granted, it was my smallest (by far!) credit card balance (under $200), but it's paid off and I feel really good about that. I think I'm going to cancel the account. The only thing holding me back is that Brie wants attachments for her Kitchen-Aid mixer (that's what she wanted for a graduation gift -- what high school senior asks for that for graduation? LOL) for Christmas, and Kohls gets great sales on kitchen stuff plus the extra 15-30% off coupons...but if I do use it for that then my plan is to immediately pay it off. We shall see. I'm hoping to make a good dent in our debt while we live with Mark's Mom, but I also need to be setting aside money for our house.

Housing situation... That's still up in the air. Mark did something to his back this week so we had to cancel our appointment to go look at lots with the builder. It looks like we're going to have to build (or buy, if that's what we end up doing) farther away from Salt Lake than we wanted, which mean a great commute for me but a horrible commute for Mark. Not as bad as my commute was in DC, but still bad -- probably 45+ minutes. I don't want him to have to commute that far, even though he would be ahead of the traffic for the most part, except during basketball season... But there just aren't lots available closer in...unless we want to build something literally right next to the freeway on a 8600 square foot lot. :-( The girls don't want us as far out as it looks like we'll need to go, because it means a 1.25 hour drive for them to come see us, but if we can't find anything closer in then that's what we have to do.

I've been terrible on my eating since we got here -- my MIL is a firm believer in dessert with lunch and dinner, even if it's a jello salad with lots of whipped cream. I keep telling her that we just don't eat that way -- we have dessert once a week, Sundays only -- and even then I don't do big desserts...and of course my husband wants to eat everything she makes. He lost 40-45 pounds last year and I'm worried he'll put the weight back on. MIL is insisting on doing the cooking for us (I don't get home until 5:30) and is trying to cook lighter meals, but it's just not what she's used to doing. I'm going to offer to cook on the weekends. The good thing is that we're getting lots of fresh produce from her garden so I'm able to eat fresh tomatoes, cucumbers, and corn to my heart's content. I'm going through bottles of Tessamaes like crazy with the salads and fresh produce I'm eating lately!

Brie seems to be settling into college pretty well. Last night was the first time she called me for more than two minutes since we moved her in on Monday. She said things are going well and she's enjoying orientation, but she's a bit concerned about two of her roommates...her roommate (sharing her room) was there for summer term so she already has friends...Brie was hoping they would become good friends but I told her to give it time. She has another roommate who has some behaviors that strongly mirror the behaviors of my best friend's daughter (Asperger's) and Brie is worried about how to handle that...she was never the most patient person with my best friend's daughter and she's worried that she'll lose her temper out of frustration with this particular roommate and some of her behaviors. It's going to be a learning/growing experience for her. She's coming boating with us tomorrow but said she is planning to spend the rest of Labor Day weekend on campus. I'm sad, but at the same time I know it's what she needs to do -- she needs to get adjusted. Her two best friends are in her dorm and will be in her church congregation and it's been incredibly helpful to have them there with her. I know they have helped keep her anxiety down. And having Alyssa and Andrew there will also help significantly with her anxiety. Such a blessing that they are in Provo.

In other news, Andrew (my son-in-law -- still so strange to say that!) took the optometry school entrance exam this week and did better than they expected -- his scores weren't outstanding, but they were in the acceptance range for the schools he wants to go to so we are very grateful. He doesn't test well and after being laid off from his job earlier this summer he devoted the entire summer (other than their honeymoon) to studying for the exam. We're grateful he did as well as he did. He has now started back to school and also got a new job. I'm so proud of them -- they're committed to not making the same debt mistakes we made and already have a plan in place to pay off the debt that Andrew owes to his parents, while still building a savings account and not using credit cards. I'm so glad they're smarter than I was.

Enjoy your time at the lake!

Thanks! It was such a fun project to work on... I need to find the ambition to finish it up now... :scratchin

Yes - I still love V's cut too, it fits her well!

I totally understand about Kohls - that was a HARD one for me to close too... I honestly don't miss it (much)... And I find myself not shopping there as often, because I don't have the card. :) They do still have a great selection though. ::yes:: Proud of you for paying it off! :woohoo:

Oh no!!! I hope Mark's back is better by now?? Where to build sounds like you will have to sacrifice something either way... Not an easy thing to do with something so permanent... Maybe make a pros/cons list? Yikes - I would have such a hard time deciding too... I know you will work it out though. :lovestruc

Oh yikes!!! I think I would go insane with dessert at every meal... My guess is that she is just so happy to have you all there, and feels the need to "make up for lost time" by spoiling you a bit? Not sure?? I think that is how I would be too if my kids ever came back home (if they ever leave, that is? :lmao: ) I would have to set my foot down and really pull the whole "allergy" card - I hate to do that, but sometimes you just have to. Sending you hugs! THis is such a tough situation!

I know you saw my post about Tessemaes yesterday on FB... It's looking like it's more of a supply/demand issue, than a financial ruin issue... I was thinking that too, when the manager was telling me that... How can they be close to financial ruin, when they have millions of Paleo-ers, Whole30-ers, and Primal-ers hunting down their dressings??? :scratchin It makes no sense... The supply/demand makes a lot more sense to me. I stocked up - I think - until December... I grabbed the furthest dates they had on their shelves, hopefully this is worked out before then?

Glad to hear that Brie is settling in... How is the room mate situation going, now that she has been there a while? Any better? I sure hope so, or it will be a long year for her, and a tough one. So glad to hear that her bffs are in the same dorm, and her sister is nearby too - all very helpful things, at least she has some where close to go to get away if necessary. :lovestruc I am sure that eases your mind a lot.

Congrats to Andrew!!! That is such a huge accomplishment! And awesome to hear that Alyssa and Andrew are trying hard to be financially responsible... I often (now) think back to when Josh and I were first married and CLUELESS about finances... If only Dave Ramsey had been a household name here in MN back then - our financial lives would have been so much different. Oh well - we can only move forward from here.

Thanks for the nice long catch up message... I love hearing more details about what you are up to when you stop by. :lovestruc

Well I am back and here Dorine; thank you for everything. Last weekend was a nightmare of worry and texts and videos and more worry, on thru Monday, then Tues, then finally Tues evening the rain stopped in Tyler and Ariece's parts and he said he could see sidewalk. We were so incredibly blessed as just 3 blocks from their house it was total disaster with all houses flooded. Over 50 inches in Houston, with over 35 inches around Tyler's area. Hubby and I both grew up in Houston and we saw on the news so many places we knew incl hubby's neighborhood completely under water. It is hard to see so many people who have lost their homes. We are so very blessed that Tyler and Ariece were just "locked in" with water all around them for four days. Lots of prayers answered. My brother and his family were okay as well, they live on Lake Conroe with massive rain, but all is well on their end. Lordy, Dorine, I cannot imagine losing everything like so many people have with Harvey.

It is so good to see Victoria home!! I love her hair; beautiful. Is she working somewhere different than the pizza place? I hope she finds a good vehicle like Allison did. I do not know how ya'll are sharing a vehicle, that is so hard especially with your father to take places. I cannot believe how she acclimated so well to Europe, I think she has found her niche. Of course she will always come home to mama. And thank goodness for Skype.

Your father looks like he is settling in better and enjoying all of the family around him. I think that will continue as time goes by. Good to hear his appt with the heart doctor went well. He looks so cute going out and about. This is so good for his health to get out as well. I hope he will continue to participate in the activities offered at his home.

The pictures of you and Allison are amazing. Ya'll look so much alike. I love natural pics like the ones taken.

Can't wait to hear what you dig up on DLP. I love Trip Advisor, they are my go to for so many trips.

Have a wonderful long weekend Dorine! Love sent your way.

So glad Harvey is just a memory and Tyler and Ariece are out of danger - I just cannot even imagine! :hug: I am certain that it was a tough several days for you, and the updates were constant. Now we have Irma bearing down on Fl... I've been watching her closely too - I also have way too many friends in her path. :(

Yup - V is still making pizza. :lovestruc She seems to be settling back in at home quite well... She took the weekend off of work this weekend and went to the lake with just Josh - this will be a good weekend for them - some good alone time, as he hasn't had any with her since she has been back. :lovestruc

Absolutely everything with dad is going fantastic - with exception to his finances... He is still having a very hard time adjusting to the frugality necessary now. Josh and I are supplementing as best as we can for him, but it's still a hard adjustment. I think, over time, it will get easier. He sure enjoys having us around though, and he really enjoys all of the local things there are for him to do - so much more variety here vs. his old house. ::yes:: And now that the holidays are approaching - I think it will make a huge difference then too. ::yes::

Thanks! It was a fun photo shoot with her. The girls and I are planning to do one with the 3 of us in the coming weeks... I want to do one more before they move out on their own... I thought it would make a nice Christmas gift for Josh's desk at work - since it's been a few years since our last one. We are gathering outfits now, Allison chose the color palette... Thankfully - All I had to buy was one shirt, everything else I had in my closet. ::yes::

Ugh - only one little update on our Europe trip - which I will post below. I haven't even had a spare minute to look into DLP or anything else. In a way - it's still not a real trip, not until we buy airfare, which isn't in the budget until January... So, I am afraid I jumped the gun on this PTR a bit - I just missed you all so much! :lovestruc

Thanks for checking in Carol - it's always wonderful to see you here!!! I hope all is still well with you and the family! :hug:

I haven't checked in much since the new school year started and I'm back to work now.

I love, love, love the aprons, kitchen mit, and potholder you made for Lara. It's absolutely adorable and I think I need all of it in my kitchen!

Great pics of you and Allison.

Have a great weekend.

I know!! Life just gets so busy sometimes! I can't believe you are back to work and summer is over!!! We are definitely starting to feel the fall temps at night.

Thanks!!! It was such a fun and different project to work on... I really need to get a dress made (if I am going to) and get it in the mail for her. ::yes::

Thank you - it was a fun photo shoot to do... We are planning one in the coming weeks of both girls and I - we want to update the picture Josh has on his desk from a few years ago... and I'd like to capture a few more candids of the 3 of us together before the girls move on with their own lives. :scratchin

Thank you - I hope you had a great holiday weekend and I hope you are settling into being back to work. :)

Love,love the aprons !! So adorable . You really are a talented seamstress. Hope you are enjoying this Labor Day weekend. I was on the Dis, drinking out of a disney mug, when my sister just called to discuss our 2018 trip. We are going in November to WDW to celebrate my 60 th bday. At last count 40 people are going (ages 1-71). Let the planning Begin!

Thank you - they were so much fun to make!!! I wish I would have known how to sew when the girls were little - I totally missed to boat on that one!

Yay for WDW in November 2018!!!! When I was there in Nov of 2015, the weather couldn't have been any more glorious!!! I love going to WDW in Oct/Nov! It sounds like this is going to be a MASSIVE trip to plan!!!! :eek: I cannot even imagine!!! Enjoy though - it will be so much fun! Personally - I cannot wait to start planning my next WDW trip... Believe me, DLP will be nice, but my heart is definitely at WDW. :lovestruc

Hey D! I hope you had a great holiday weekend! I enjoyed the pics of you & Allison- they look so fun! I especially love the one of you on her back. You have the same smile in that picture. Your Dad looks happy to be out and about. You must have an iron will to not eat anything when going out for "treats" with the others, but good for you! I am now trying to cut out sugar. I know it is a huge factor in my weight/general health. I've stopped putting it in my coffee; now I have to progress to no creamer in my coffee.
I'm sure you saw some of the pics from FB about the hike we took. It was really a pleasant day. It wasn't so much a hike as a stairway straight up the mountain. My thighs were screaming by the end. I took more pics, but my husband posted first. Along with that video. grrrr. I hate how I look and that was with a tank top over my swimsuit. I know it's not about me and everybody was probably paying attention to Quinn which was the intent, but...... uugghhh.
Anyway, we're back to our regularly scheduled program and trying to find our rhythm with this school year. Did you get to do any research about your trip? I sure hope you get to check all the things off your wish list that you want to do while you are there! Have a great week.

THanks - we had so much fun taking those pictures!

Dad definitely enjoys going out and just hanging out with us... It's nice for everyone. :lovestruc

Yah - it's not always easy to not eat anything... However, my year off and knowing how hard it was to give it all up again - well, it just keeps my resolve firm... I am not sure I could give it up a 3rd time? ::yes:: I am just better off not testing the waters at this point in time... maybe at a later date I can try, but I definitely don't want to lose any of my momentum.

Sugar was the worst for me to give up this time... I couldn't believe how addicted I was!!! To me, the key was to give it up in my coffee - once I did that, it was so easy to give it up in the rest of my life... It was like, starting off my day with sugar just kept me wanting it all day long... Once I gave that up, the rest fell into place. But believe me - that was no easy thing! ::yes::

I am glad you enjoyed your hike... I bet it was exhausting though! I know how you feel, I often see pictures of myself and cringe... then I wonder if anyone else sees me the same way I see myself - as I am sooooo critical... I am sure they don't, but it's still so hard to get past it. I am not sure I ever will? I am definitely more confident about myself than I was last year - but it's been a slow process. One little step at a time, even though I want it all now. Sending you hugs!

Ha - not one little iota of trip planning yet... Isn't that terrible??? My heart just isn't in it... I want to go and spend time with the family - more than anything - but the rest, meh... I can take it or leave it. I am a little excited to see Normandy... I am a little excited to see Amsterdam again... And I am a little excited to see DLP... But in the end, my heart is in WDW - and that is the trip I am most anxious for.... I wish I could plan that one more, but it's just too far away. Once I purchase airfare for Europe, then it will become more real - I think - and the excitement will be there... I am just so nervous about traveling around there... Disney has buses, you can't get lost really... Europe - well... LOL It will be interesting!

I hope you are doing well Brandi! It's always good to catch up with you here! :lovestruc

Looks like you and Allison had a good time taking pictures.

Yes!!! We had a lot of fun!!! Can't wait to do more in a few weeks with all 3 of us! :lovestruc

************************************************************************************************************

Good morning all - happy weekend! :lovestruc

Josh and I had a super fun weekend last weekend... On Friday, we went out to my foster-parents house for a camp out... Many of our friends and family couldn't find campsites for the weekend, so they just opened up their farm to everyone... Needless to say it was a FULL house and lots of fun!!! Campers galore... People galore... Food everywhere... All the best insanity!

This is how it looked when we arrived...

4234ABD6-6349-4C8B-B6C7-BB1DD8E89D1F.jpg

And a few of the campers set up in the yard...

71a28139-465d-4558-983d-bd24b5dd8ee0.jpg

Then on Saturday morning, we headed to the lake... Where we enjoyed some relaxation and Josh was able to do some fishing with his dad...

BDC9D6FE-D8EC-47B8-B1ED-726E517E6F16.jpg

Then on Sunday morning, we headed back to my foster-parents for another night of camping.

Overall, it was a fun weekend! And it sounds like the camping will be an "annual thing"... Which means - Josh and I are hoping to buy a camper sometime next fall - likely not before next year's event though. :scratchin

On Tuesday - we noticed that MM's face was all gunky.... So we gave him a bath on Tuesday night to clean it up - we looked carefully, but didn't see any wounds or anything that would cause it. By Wednesday morning it was back... So I took him to the vet, where they diagnosed him with a "hot spot"... They had to sedate him, shave his face, clean the area, keep him for the day... All in all - MM is on a lot of meds for the next 2 weeks and we had to cover a $500 vet bill... I thank God for our budget every single day these days - as we had the $$ to cover it... It didn't affect us at all and we are right on track.

Max coming home... None too thrilled with me (still isn't)...

F3756021-710E-4516-8C0C-BEC7B2083EE1.jpg

Allison and I spent the day together the other day... We went for lunch at Chipotle - which is a rare thing these days...

5CB4716C-7CA9-4CCE-A86A-CCA210945AA0.png

One, very, very, very small trip update... BMTL are in the process of building a new house in Holland... This is their guest room - which is where we will be living for 17 days next spring! I just love it!!! I am super excited to be able to spend this time with them!

3B017FA2-ECDD-4C60-B131-6E2E1B3607DA.jpg

That's about all... Josh and V went to the lake - they took Cooper... Allison and I are home this weekend - taking care of MM and hanging out... I plan to work a little and relax a little. :)

I hope you all have a great weekend!!! Sending prayers and pixie dust out to all of you!!! :lovestruc

D~

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter